2023-2024 Buffalo Sabres gameday thread !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JATMtheJATM
    • Aug 2012

Re: 2023-2024 Buffalo Sabres gameday thread !!

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
    Only need 9 more in a row to be relevant.
    Now watch them rattle off 7 of 8 and crawl back into the race, get us all excited for a huge game just to lose 5-1
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
      Now watch them rattle off 7 of 8 and crawl back into the race, get us all excited for a huge game just to lose 5-1
      You say 5-1 ..... 8-2 is my guess.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        But isn't that part of the problem? Pegula has been writing checks since the day he bought the team and it hasn't brought results.

Now, it's not so much checks to the players as it is checks to the FO and coaches. They keep getting paid even though it's clearly not working.

Like I've said before: this is not a championship level roster, but it's way too good to only have 34 points in 38 games. It's too good to have almost zero shot at the playoffs at the end of December. But nothing has changed.

This is a wasted season. It was supposed to be the year that we returned to the playoffs. We most likely would have gotten killed in the first round, but at least we'd be there. At least the young guys would get another year under their belt and get a little playoff experience, then next off-season we could get a couple pieces in FA and actually be competitive next season. We're clearly 2 steps behind that. This season is just treading water.

But everyone still gets checks. Everyone still has their job. There is no accountability.

I have a friend from when I lived in Northern VA who's a Caps fan. He's never been to Buffalo or Niagara Falls and he's been bugging me to go up when the Caps are in town to see the game. I'm overdue for a trip to WNY to visit some people but I just can't bring myself to spend money on this perennial **** show. All the losing has made it so hard to enjoy the game and I don't want them profiting off of me.

I'm really just venting my frustration with this team. At this point, it's hard to know who to blame really, but GM's, coaches and players have changed. The only thing that has been consistent is ownership and poor results.
        I also want to articulate on this while the subject of how the team is run. I've mentioned there is a way out of this that doesn't involve selling the team.

Hiring a president of hockey ops is needed. Another layer between Pegula and Adams. Someone who can take the owners wishes and visions and translate that into a healthy hockey front office.

Someone who can lead when Pegula goes AWOL.

A direct line of accountability. As we know, a teams improvement isn't static. But someone who holds Adams accountable. Hey, the team is playing well below expectations. What are you doing about that? I don't want Adams making a panic move, but I've also seen players who would make the sabres better get traded for next to nothing.

Next: invest in the arena. This seems small, but the arena experience is really really poor.
        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

Thanks for the positivity, Op.

Joking aside, you’re right. It’s too little too late. But if we can’t have a good season, at least we can **** up our div opponents. 21,000 Frenchies who overpaid for tickets went home pissed off. At least that brings a smile.
          You're less negative about the Sabres than I am. The Bills at least have become a yearly playoff contender. The way the Sabres are managed pisses me off.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
            • Aug 2012

You're less negative about the Sabres than I am. The Bills at least have become a yearly playoff contender. The way the Sabres are managed pisses me off.
            Another fact. The sabres should try and trade Savoie. I love Savoie, but he seems to have recurring injury troubles, his metrics don't seem to translate well since the draft, and the other two first round picks look VERY good.

Maybe he's a good trade piece to use to acquire a young RHD that'll improve this team and help take that next leap.

Or maybe hang on to him and let him become briere 2.0
            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

I also want to articulate on this while the subject of how the team is run. I've mentioned there is a way out of this that doesn't involve selling the team.

Hiring a president of hockey ops is needed. Another layer between Pegula and Adams. Someone who can take the owners wishes and visions and translate that into a healthy hockey front office.

Someone who can lead when Pegula goes AWOL.

A direct line of accountability. As we know, a teams improvement isn't static. But someone who holds Adams accountable. Hey, the team is playing well below expectations. What are you doing about that? I don't want Adams making a panic move, but I've also seen players who would make the sabres better get traded for next to nothing.

Next: invest in the arena. This seems small, but the arena experience is really really poor.
              I mean, upgrading the arena seems like a no-brainer. First, it's just needed. Second, attendance is poor because the team isn't performing well. Arena upgrades would give people a reason to show up.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ckg927
                Not quite Best in the World....
                • Aug 2012

I mean, upgrading the arena seems like a no-brainer. First, it's just needed. Second, attendance is poor because the team isn't performing well. Arena upgrades would give people a reason to show up.
                If memory serves, KBC is getting a new scoreboard come next season. ABOUT TIME, if you asked me. A few weeks ago, I took in an AHL game down in Cleveland; it was an Sunday afternoon game before the Browns took on the Rams-and 7K+ showed up. That arena is BEAUTIFUL. It's what KBC SHOULD look like. (Granted, the Cavs play there as well.) But their scoreboard is HUGE. Also: Since the arena is cashless, it wouldn't hurt to install "reverse ATM's" which take in your cash and spit out a card that you can then use for whatever you wish.

To follow up on what JATM was saying: The Sabres ABSOLUTELY need a Pres. of Hockey Ops. Go outside the organization and find someone with a decent amount of experience to run that department.
                John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                  If memory serves, KBC is getting a new scoreboard come next season. ABOUT TIME, if you asked me. A few weeks ago, I took in an AHL game down in Cleveland; it was an Sunday afternoon game before the Browns took on the Rams-and 7K+ showed up. That arena is BEAUTIFUL. It's what KBC SHOULD look like. (Granted, the Cavs play there as well.) But their scoreboard is HUGE. Also: Since the arena is cashless, it wouldn't hurt to install "reverse ATM's" which take in your cash and spit out a card that you can then use for whatever you wish.

To follow up on what JATM was saying: The Sabres ABSOLUTELY need a Pres. of Hockey Ops. Go outside the organization and find someone with a decent amount of experience to run that department.
                  A few years ago, the Pegulas said they are exploring all avenues, including a new arena. Considering how difficult it was to replace the Ralph, let's just assume those plans are dead for another decade at least.

KBC is getting a new roof, scoreboard, and acoustics this summer. They are working with Populous to work on a major major renovation, as many arenas from that era are getting (Boston, Philly, Vancouver)

Populous is pretty much the gold standard in arena/stadium game (formerly HOK sport)

You'll probably see all new seats soon (here's hoping they mimic the aud in color pattern to brighten the arena and trigger nostalgia for the older fans) and newish concourses.

Everyone said once the bills digs is finalized and being built, they'll turn their eyes to the Sabres. Here's hoping.
                  Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                    • Aug 2012

Right. Not only is the team not performing, when you're there, it's really a Micky mouse operation.

I enjoy going to wings games not because I like the team, but because the facility is a world class facility. I always find something new when I'm there.
                    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                      • Aug 2012

And to summarize. I enjoy going to sabres games on Buffalo. A lot. But it's because I love the team and I don't get to go to many. So it's not routine for me. If I were a season ticket holder, I'd be irate

I will say this, and this is really REALLY small. When I sat in Toms seats last season, his seats are perfectly situated that you can see outside the arena through a tunnel and onto the street. It was a pretty cool little Easter egg during a day game.

Theo slept through four goal horns the third period
                      Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 01-05-2024, 05:05 PM.
                      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• DetoxTent
                        • Sep 2023

A lot of us feel the same way.

Comment

• DetoxTent
                          • Sep 2023

If they put a winning team on the ice things would all be fine. They have the NHL's record for play-off misses. That is shameful. The notion that the Sabres need Canadians in the arena is abjectly asinine (look no further than who said it for proof). They would fill the arena on Monday nights after work (for us) if they had a winning team. Having grandpa Okposo as the team leader is uninspiring. No matter what the other players say about him. He should have been jettisoned long ago. As much as I hate Eichel, it's hard not to look at how that Vegas team was built from nothing into a perennial powerhouse in no time. It can be done. I'm not sure Kevyn Adams version of "believe in the plan" is so believable. He has only one part of it: he got the youth. But it takes more than that. See how Yzerman is approaching things in Detroit. Very differently. He gets viable veterans to mix in, not garbage like Eric Johnson and Robinson. Those moves were made out of desperation by Adams, because he was getting flack about not having a tough enough team and veterans to play D with Power, who can still look lost at times. They have cap space, WHY are they so reluctant to use it to put 10 more wins on the ledger??? I didn't even rant about the failure they have been at managing their goaltenders. Adams is VERY lucky that Comrie has kept quiet.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DetoxTent View Post
                            If they put a winning team on the ice things would all be fine. They have the NHL's record for play-off misses. That is shameful. The notion that the Sabres need Canadians in the arena is abjectly asinine (look no further than who said it for proof). They would fill the arena on Monday nights after work (for us) if they had a winning team. Having grandpa Okposo as the team leader is uninspiring. No matter what the other players say about him. He should have been jettisoned long ago. As much as I hate Eichel, it's hard not to look at how that Vegas team was built from nothing into a perennial powerhouse in no time. It can be done. I'm not sure Kevyn Adams version of "believe in the plan" is so believable. He has only one part of it: he got the youth. But it takes more than that. See how Yzerman is approaching things in Detroit. Very differently. He gets viable veterans to mix in, not garbage like Eric Johnson and Robinson. Those moves were made out of desperation by Adams, because he was getting flack about not having a tough enough team and veterans to play D with Power, who can still look lost at times. They have cap space, WHY are they so reluctant to use it to put 10 more wins on the ledger??? I didn't even rant about the failure they have been at managing their goaltenders. Adams is VERY lucky that Comrie has kept quiet.
                            The "yzerplan" is rudderless.

They overpay for mid tier free agents. they are dragging oddly. They're already talking about trading Kane.

It's not a great plan
                            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                              • Aug 2012

The "yzerplan" is rudderless.

They overpay for mid tier free agents. they are dragging oddly. They're already talking about trading Kane.

It's not a great plan
                              Let me expand on this. Detroit also has a nice cupboard of prospects, but their ceilings are much lower than the Sabres prospects. They took good prospects, but way early..so they didn't get slot value (a concept that is catching on in hockey, and is a HUGE thing in MLB universe.)

Yzerman has overspent on free agents who are good, but not THAT good. They had a hot start, but have fallen back to earth recently.

They are run better than the Sabres. So that's a plus. But in terms of team building, outside like Debrincat... It's been very hit or miss
                              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• ckg927
                                Not quite Best in the World....
                                • Aug 2012

To Detox: Basically, Vegas got to where it was by 1. a VERY generous dispersal draft and 2. a GM willing to wheel and deal(even if it sacrifices future prospects). Eventually, it's going to backfire on them.

Also: Per the Amerks, the team has suspended D Nicolas Savoie with the goal of terminating his contract-at Savoie's request-for him to pursue educational opportunities.
                                John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                                David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

Working...
                                X