2023-2024 Buffalo Sabres gameday thread !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: 2023-2024 Buffalo Sabres gameday thread !!

4-2. Quinn should have cleared that to the wall instead of trying to skate it out.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Dammit. 4-3. Choke in progress.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

5-3 final

2 points !!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
          • Aug 2012

UPL is showing serious flashes of being a capable goaltender. Glad to see Tage being Tage again
          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Good result. Hopefully Tage is ok.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Novacane
              • Jul 2002

They tried to throw it away. I want this season over already.

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                Good result. Hopefully Tage is ok.
                You are much less negative toward the Sabres than the Bills. Curious as to why?

Comment

• Novacane
                  • Jul 2002

For me the Bills at least give me hope. Say what you want about them falling short but you have to be in the playoffs to have hope.

I made the mistake of having hope in the Sabres going into this season. That was stupid because they'd given me no reason to.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                    • Aug 2012

In fairness. The Sabres beat a desperate Ottawa team who makes Buffalos bad season look good. Ottawa also had high hopes.

They've won 3 of 4 since New years.

I'm not saying buy in. Because I'm not. But enjoy the fact they're playing.... Better
                    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                      You are much less negative toward the Sabres than the Bills. Curious as to why?
                      Good question. I don't have a great answer, but I think it's two things.

First, I just take football way too seriously.

Second, I think the shortness of the football season ramps up the intensity for me. Example: The Bills lost the opener to the Jets. Yes, I know, I didn't expect them to win, but I DID expect Rodgers to play the whole game. The Bills lost to a backup in the season opener, so 17 weeks later, going into the last week of the season, we needed a win to get the div and may have needed a win just to make the playoffs if the other games didn't go our way. Sure, the Bills lost other games too, but everything was on the line in week 18, on the road against a tough div opponent on national TV, because we couldn't beat Zach ****ing Wilson in week 1.

The Sabres lost their opener too. It was disappointing but there were still 81 more games. It's been win one, lose one all season. It's a slow roll. In hockey, it's impossible to look back at one game and say "that game broke our season." It's not really accurate to say the week 1 loss "broke" the Bills season, but it sure as hell made things a lot more difficult. With hockey, single losses don't have the same implications. I think that just ramps up the emotions for me.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        Good question. I don't have a great answer, but I think it's two things.

First, I just take football way too seriously.

Second, I think the shortness of the football season ramps up the intensity for me. Example: The Bills lost the opener to the Jets. Yes, I know, I didn't expect them to win, but I DID expect Rodgers to play the whole game. The Bills lost to a backup in the season opener, so 17 weeks later, going into the last week of the season, we needed a win to get the div and may have needed a win just to make the playoffs if the other games didn't go our way. Sure, the Bills lost other games too, but everything was on the line in week 18, on the road against a tough div opponent on national TV, because we couldn't beat Zach ****ing Wilson in week 1.

The Sabres lost their opener too. It was disappointing but there were still 81 more games. It's been win one, lose one all season. It's a slow roll. In hockey, it's impossible to look back at one game and say "that game broke our season." It's not really accurate to say the week 1 loss "broke" the Bills season, but it sure as hell made things a lot more difficult. With hockey, single losses don't have the same implications. I think that just ramps up the emotions for me.
                        I totally get this. But the sabres are at the point where every game matter two fold. So my emotions with every game swing.

When they win, I'm checking the standings to see what they need to do. When they lose, im like "who can we draft?"
                        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                          I totally get this. But the sabres are at the point where every game matter two fold. So my emotions with every game swing.

When they win, I'm checking the standings to see what they need to do. When they lose, im like "who can we draft?"
                          It was a slow roll but I think I've accepted the Sabres' fate. It's been win one, lose one, win one, lose 2, win one, lose one all season.

I read in the Athletic a couple of weeks ago that in order to get to 94 points (which is usually what it takes to make the playoffs), the Sabres would have to play at a 106-point pace for the remainder of the season. That's almost President's Trophy level. It's not impossible but I've watched enough of this team to have absolutely zero confidence that they are capable of doing that.

And the draft is another thing. In the NFL, if you draft well, you can get 2 or 3 guys who make immediate impacts in their first season. In the NHL, you're drafting 18 year olds who have only played against other 18 year olds. if 2 guys from a draft make the NHL roster in their rookie years, that's a lot. You're drafting for 3-4 years out.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ckg927
                            Not quite Best in the World....
                            • Aug 2012

I'm DONE with this "Who can we draft?" garbage. I want to win NOW. And if that means trading a first round pick to get an impact player from another team(and THAT team's first round pick), I'd do it in a heartbeat. Recall that in 1990, we made a deal with Winnipeg that sent Dale Hawerchuk to Buffalo(along with their 1st rounder(which turned out to be Brad May))in exchange for Phil Housley, Scott Arniel, Jeff Parker and OUR 1st round pick(which was Keith Tkachuk). FTR, in the time he was with Buffalo, Hawerchuk produced-never less than 86 points a season(save for the 1994-95 lockout season).
                            John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                            David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                              I'm DONE with this "Who can we draft?" garbage. I want to win NOW. And if that means trading a first round pick to get an impact player from another team(and THAT team's first round pick), I'd do it in a heartbeat. Recall that in 1990, we made a deal with Winnipeg that sent Dale Hawerchuk to Buffalo(along with their 1st rounder(which turned out to be Brad May))in exchange for Phil Housley, Scott Arniel, Jeff Parker and OUR 1st round pick(which was Keith Tkachuk). FTR, in the time he was with Buffalo, Hawerchuk produced-never less than 86 points a season(save for the 1994-95 lockout season).
                              Disclaimer: it ain't my decision.

But I ain't trading a first unless the player coming back is young and dynamic. The NHL shifted and with the Sabres ****ty season, that's going to be a lottery pick.

I'd rather trade Savoie
                              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• ckg927
                                Not quite Best in the World....
                                • Aug 2012

Disclaimer: it ain't my decision.

But I ain't trading a first unless the player coming back is young and dynamic. The NHL shifted and with the Sabres ****ty season, that's going to be a lottery pick.

I'd rather trade Savoie
                                I'd HATE having to lose Savoie, but if the haul coming back includes the type of player you mentioned, I'd be fine with that. We can be damned lucky that we got Zach Benson last year. I wouldn't trade him under ANY circumstances.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Monday's game with San Jose is still on; it's now been moved up to 12 noon on account of the Bills/Steelers game now being at 4:30pm.
                                John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                                David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

Working...
                                X