• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Post-Draft Roster Question #1: RT

"Spencer Brown gave up the eighth-most pressures among all tackles and had the sixth-worst efficiency rate among 59 tackles to play at least 50% of their team’s pass-blocking snaps. The Bills took Top 30 visits from several potential replacements, but when the draft ended, the Bills walked out without a single tackle." -Cover 1

What do we do if Spencer Brown sucks again?

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
    Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
    • Nov 2012

Re: Post-Draft Roster Question #1: RT

Wasn't he dealing with back surgery? Maybe not healed up as much as he could have been. If dey not worry, I not worry.

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Let's see what he does at 100%.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

We're going to keep Dalton Kincaid in to help him pass block.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
          Haha...yeah you think so ?
          • Mar 2013

Brown strikes me as less than robust physically...suspect it won't change....so what we do is wait to see what scrub vet fa they sign next year before hoping in vain they draft one again.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Torrence parked right next to him will help.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
              "Spencer Brown gave up the eighth-most pressures among all tackles and had the sixth-worst efficiency rate among 59 tackles to play at least 50% of their team’s pass-blocking snaps. The Bills took Top 30 visits from several potential replacements, but when the draft ended, the Bills walked out without a single tackle." -Cover 1

I never heard of “Cover 1”, and they did not give a very good first impression with this obviously incorrect statement...

“The Bills took Top 30 visits from several potential replacements”

In fact, the Bills had only one OT in for a “Top 30” visit, Darnell Wright. Who I suspect they had no realistic thought of drafting him. That obviously came true when he went #10 overall to Chicago.

Additionally, looking at ALL the interviews (that I could find) the Bills had.....there were only two with OT’s. The aforementioned Wight and Anton Harrison, OK.

If they can't get easily verified facts correct, it does bode well for their credibility.

A total of four OT’s went in the first 14 picks. Jax took Anton Harrison (whom the Bills did interview) at #27, which by most accounts was a reach. Scouts Inc rank him #58 overall, and Dane Brugler ranked him #50 overall and a 2nd round prospect. He was not expected to be a 1st round pick, and the Bills wisely ignored that position and filled a pretty big need with the value pick of Kincaid.

When their 2nd round pick came up, drafting Torrence was a freakin NO BRAINER, and a HUGE value.

So, the whole premise from this site as what is meant a criticism...”when the draft ended, the Bills walked out without a single tackle” is rather silly.

Which that said, Spencer Brown struggled last season, much of it due to off season back surgery, which caused him to miss all spring and most of training camp.

There is still a chance they will bring in some competition, but I suspect they will work with him to improve as they have consistently expressed confidence that he will do exactly that.

The Bills have strongly addressed the O-line with several much welcomed moves. Signing Connor McGovern and drafting easily the best IOL in Torrence are not insignificant.

All in all, I’m not worried in the least. Best to wait to see how he progresses instead of panicking.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                I thought thats why we brought in Doente Harty
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

I think Brown was healthy last season, but his recovery from back surgery prevented him from getting important training during the off season, specifically strength training and drill work. It is not unreasonable to hope for improvement after a full off season of such training.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• cookie G
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                    Brown strikes me as less than robust physically...suspect it won't change....so what we do is wait to see what scrub vet fa they sign next year before hoping in vain they draft one again.
                    A back injury always makes me nervous in a football player, especially one that plays in the trenches. And I agree, He didn't look quite right last year, physically. He looked stiff...which is of course, how you look with a bad back. Your flexibility is limited..everywhere. Which is why I have my concerns. Maybe he can look into the Diamond Dallas Page yoga videos.

If he's "healed"...great. I'd be thrilled. He's going into his 3rd season...and the learning curve should be slowing down by now. He wasn't expected to be a finished product when he was drafted. He was basically thrown into the starting line up.

But a bad bac kfor an Ol...yeah...yeah.

Tommy Doyle, the forgotten man. He very well may be back by opening day, depending on how the rehab is going. Like Brown, never expected to be a finished product when drafted, but also physically there to be very good. Again like Brown, Its year three.

Its a good time for either of them to come into their own. I don't want to say "step up" because I doubt either is a slacker. Its hope and hope and I don't like to rely on a hope.

As to the draft...well that's the way it fell. As many could have expected...who aren't Bills fans..the top OT's came off the board early.

At 27, basically Anton Harrison and Bergeron were left. It was a big step down from there.

Harrison needs work on his run blocking, but has shown himself to be an excellent pass blocker. I saw good and bad out of Bergeron, but he might have the added bonus of moving to guard, if either Spencer Brown or Doyle end up fitting in. I've heard a few think Bergeron could be a great guard.

They ended up going in a different direction with Kincaid. Torrance...I have a feeling he just fell into their laps, But with all of the OTs and many of the best interior OL coming off the board...Allen might have killed them both if they didn't take him. Im not complaining. I was afraid they would end up with a guy like Broeker (who they ended up taking anyway) or a Nick Saldiveri...and people thinking they'd step in immediately.

Anyhoo...here's to Doyle or Brown making it at RT.

I'd be really happy if either did.

Comment

• Ed
                      • Sep 2002

Remember when fans wanted to give up on Knox after two seasons and trade for Zach Ertz? I think Brown is going to have a similar breakout in year 3, where he's not dealing with back surgery and rehab all offseason.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                        I thought thats why we brought in Doente Harty
                        He's the guy from the Saints right?

He runs a 4.39/40.

Comment

• DraftCzar
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                          We have no backup plan. Beane and McDermott think Spencer will be a lot better this year. They are hoping their single engine plane doesn't lose it's one motor.

If O'Cyrus Torrence clearly beats out Bates for RG, that could help Spencer to have a wall next to him on pass plays.

We are going to need some luck.

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by DraftCzar View Post
                            We have no backup plan. Beane and McDermott think Spencer will be a lot better this year. They are hoping their single engine plane doesn't lose it's one motor.

If O'Cyrus Torrence clearly beats out Bates for RG, that could help Spencer to have a wall next to him on pass plays.

We are going to need some luck.

Agreed.

Comment

• swiper
                              • Sep 2010

The best RT on the roster is starting at LT.

Comment

Working...
                              X