Is there a team that's done less with more than the rangers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JATMtheJATM
    • Aug 2012

Is there a team that's done less with more than the rangers?

I thought this was a good topic to discuss this off-season.

In the rangers loss, post mortem, it was revealed that former number 1 pick, Alexis lefreniere, was a member of the Trillium club for the first round of the playoffs. Zeros across the board. No points, even +/-, ect. He did absolutely nothing.

Kakko did only a little better... 1 goal, 1 assist.

It wasn't long ago, the Rangers had an accelerated rebuild that culminated with them winning two lotteries. This allowed them to nab Kakko at 2OA, and was sure to be a star. The next season, they won the lottery and got Laf 1 OA. And then Adam Fox fell into their laps, Shesterkin proved to be an absolute stud and may be better than Lundqvist. They made some major trades and....

And what has it gotten them? First round exits, zero good picks, and Kakko and Laf appear to be absolute busts.

So my question is has a team done less with more opportunity than the Rangers?

Discuss
    Flag of Ukraine.svg
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Is there a team that's done less with more than the rangers?

Turns out most of these players are most effective when you get 20 min or more a night. With a team full of those guys, not everyone gets that amount of time on the ice so their impact is reduced.

None of those guys are real shot blockers nor do they take the puck away at an elevated rate. So if they aren't scoring they aren't effective. If they don't get PP1 time and 20 min a game it is compounded. Plus based on the bit that I saw, speed was a big issue for the Rangers vs Devils as well.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
      Turns out most of these players are most effective when you get 20 min or more a night. With a team full of those guys, not everyone gets that amount of time on the ice so their impact is reduced.

None of those guys are real shot blockers nor do they take the puck away at an elevated rate. So if they aren't scoring they aren't effective. If they don't get PP1 time and 20 min a game it is compounded. Plus based on the bit that I saw, speed was a big issue for the Rangers vs Devils as well.
      This is a good point. Rangers fans were saying how slow Laf was.
      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Bruins

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by swiper View Post
          Bruins
          I don't know. Maybe this season alone. But I meant the overall health of the team
          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• mightysimi
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
            This is a good point. Rangers fans were saying how slow Laf was.
            I would say overall team speed vs just 1 player but he is a player that is used to playing lots. Without a path to the top 6, his growth has stunted. Not sure he will ever get there but he isn't terrible. He can play in the league.

Comment

• mightysimi
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by swiper View Post
              Bruins
              This year for sure. Getting 1C and 2C for peanuts and stacking a roster with LTIR and still losing, that has to be up there.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I will add my vote for Boston.

But **** 'em, that was glorious.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

Rangers losing is only bested by the Bruin failure. Loved it. A perfect exacta… now we need the Leafs to choke on it.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                    I would say overall team speed vs just 1 player but he is a player that is used to playing lots. Without a path to the top 6, his growth has stunted. Not sure he will ever get there but he isn't terrible. He can play in the league.
                    They both can play. But their growth has been significantly stunted and it's unlikely either will come close to their ceiling with the Rangers.

Either the Rangers have to promote the two, which runs the risk of blowing up your window, or trade them for pieces while the two still have some value. Not long ago, they were untouchable

It's amazing to me that they hit the jackpot and completely fumbled the ball
                    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 05-04-2023, 09:40 AM.
                    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Rangers fire head coach. Wasn't his fault. Team just wasn't good enough. Coach will coach again somewhere else, just like Ruff did.

Comment

Working...
                      X