Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dawson Knox: Teaming me with Dalton Kincaid

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Dawson Knox: Teaming me with Dalton Kincaid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    There's only so many balls to go around and we didn't even use Knox to his fullest so what makes anyone think we're going to use TE2 enough to justify the pick and trade?
    It's the combination that will be much more difficult to stop.

(one at a time or both on the field at the same time)

Knox and Kincaid take your pick Josh has another weapon.

The ways to move the ball just dramatically increased.

Harder to make the wrong choice .... "quality surrounds" .... if you get that.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    It's the combination that will be much more difficult to stop.

(one at a time or both on the field at the same time)

Knox and Kincaid take your pick Josh has another weapon.

The ways to move the ball just dramatically increased.

Harder to make the wrong choice .... "quality surrounds" .... if you get that.
    If Tight End was a focal point of our offense or a major part of our offense, I would agree.

It just isn't.

Knox had 48 catches last year, less than 3 per game, so honestly how many catches do you reasonably expect Kinkaid to have? Just for some perspective here, all the other tight ends on the team combined for 9 total catches.

Meanwhile this wasn't just a down year for tight ends on the team or for Knox...he had 49 catches in 2021 and all other tight ends combined for....9 total catches.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Stop thinking Kincaid is only a TE. He’s a slot guy as well. Can’t compare past seasons to what this season offers by way of 12 personnel with nightmarish options that need to be defended. Did Kelce have 115 catches because KC uses the TE or is it because KC has Kelce as a TE slot guy?

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-17-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,632 Times in 7,703 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Tight End was a focal point of our offense or a major part of our offense, I would agree.

It just isn't.

Knox had 48 catches last year, less than 3 per game, so honestly how many catches do you reasonably expect Kinkaid to have? Just for some perspective here, all the other tight ends on the team combined for 9 total catches.

Meanwhile this wasn't just a down year for tight ends on the team or for Knox...he had 49 catches in 2021 and all other tight ends combined for....9 total catches.
    TE was not the “focal point of pour offense” LAST season for sure. That’s why Kincaid’s addition is so critical.

It’s irrelevant how many catches Knox had last year.

The real comparison should be to Cole Beasley’s 82 catches in BOTH 2020 and 2021. That slot production (for whatever reason....play calling, McKenzie inability to get open, offensive strategy, Josh’s decisions) plummeted in 2022 to only 42 for McKenzie.

The total number of catches went down 13% from 2021 to 2022 from 415 (410 in 2020) to only 361 in 2022.

So, to answer your question....”...honestly how many catches do you reasonably expect Kinkaid [sic] to have?”....I would say SIXTY to SEVENTY.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm going to interject a little reality here with the thoughts of Kincaid being basically the slot WR...

Kincaid wasn't the starter at TE at Utah in 2020 or 2021 and didn't become the starter in 2022 until Brandon Kuithe had a season ending ACL injury. Know what Kincaid didn't get to do when he was the backup TE? Play slot receiver.

So to expect him to come in and just be able to play slot receiver from the jump is placing highly unrealistic expectations on the guy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

• Has played most of his snaps from the slot - seems difficult to consider as a strict tight end - more of a jumbo slot player

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/...incaid-TE-Utah

8. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-18-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Josh Allen happy to have Dalton Kincaid aboard; pulling for Rory McIlroy at this week's PGA Championship

‘”Obviously super excited to get a weapon like him,” Allen said. “He’s very fluid in his route running. He’s a very fluid ball catcher. He tracks the ball well, so any time you get to add a piece to your offense like that, I can’t help but be excited. He seems like he’s a smart kid. … He’s going to help us out a lot.”‘

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm going to interject a little reality here with the thoughts of Kincaid being basically the slot WR...

Kincaid wasn't the starter at TE at Utah in 2020 or 2021 and didn't become the starter in 2022 until Brandon Kuithe had a season ending ACL injury. Know what Kincaid didn't get to do when he was the backup TE? Play slot receiver.

So to expect him to come in and just be able to play slot receiver from the jump is placing highly unrealistic expectations on the guy.
    How he is used is the most interesting question going into this season.

What is undeniable is that once Cole Beasley left, McKenzie did not fill the void, and as he said in his Go Long podcast, some of that was the routes he was assigned.

He felt that his speed was attempted to be taken advantage of and he was not sent over the middle (as an easy outlet) as much as Beasley was.

Kincaid is perfect to fill that role, even better than Beasley because of his size. By every indication, Kincaid does, in fact, have “elite” hands.

No one is expecting him to just come in and play slot receiver. But he WILL be used as a big target over the middle and his role will get larger and larger as the season progresses.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    How he is used is the most interesting question going into this season.

What is undeniable is that once Cole Beasley left, McKenzie did not fill the void, and as he said in his Go Long podcast, some of that was the routes he was assigned.

He felt that his speed was attempted to be taken advantage of and he was not sent over the middle (as an easy outlet) as much as Beasley was.

Kincaid is perfect to fill that role, even better than Beasley because of his size. By every indication, Kincaid does, in fact, have “elite” hands.

No one is expecting him to just come in and play slot receiver. But he WILL be used as a big target over the middle and his role will get larger and larger as the season progresses.
    All I'm saying is people put unrealistic expectations on players of this team for whatever reason.

We had people thinking McKenzie would be fine in the slot and Beasley would be no loss...how did that turn out?

We had people thinking Gabe Davis was a stud and how did that turn out?

We have people thinking Shakir is going to step up and play a major role in the offense this year.

Temper expectations so when a guy doesn't go out and have "60 catches" which he surely won't have, then you won't be disappointed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

All I'm saying is people put unrealistic expectations on players of this team for whatever reason.

We had people thinking McKenzie would be fine in the slot and Beasley would be no loss...how did that turn out?

We had people thinking Gabe Davis was a stud and how did that turn out?

We have people thinking Shakir is going to step up and play a major role in the offense this year.

Temper expectations so when a guy doesn't go out and have "60 catches" which he surely won't have, then you won't be disappointed.
    Fair enough.

But I will not be “disappointed” if Kincaid does not get 60 catches because I think he will. If not, it will probably be very close.

Saying "he surely won't have” is an "unrealistic expectation”.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You i’m hoping he and Knox get a lot of looks making defenses guess. This should open up draws and pull doubles off of Diggs.

14. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-19-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Keep em guessing and confused ..... works for me.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's all on Allen. If he really takes what the D gives and doesn't look for home runs, Kinkaid should catch a bunch. I would, however, like to see Kinkaid separate from NFL talent before making a prediction on how well he will do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    It's all on Allen. If he really takes what the D gives and doesn't look for home runs, Kinkaid should catch a bunch. I would, however, like to see Kinkaid separate from NFL talent before making a prediction on how well he will do.
    I think Dorsey dialed up the constant home run balls. Early last season after the Rams game there was a marveling at the sudden patience and short game. RBs over the middle, a dink dunk approach. They went away

18. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-20-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Patience must be demonstrated if that happens my confidence will soar .... how about yours?

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,379 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Patience must be demonstrated if that happens my confidence will soar .... how about yours?
    When we were blowing out teams all we did was get first downs and march. I would like to see a return to that. I don't need 98 yard tds and then putting a tired D back on the field.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When we were blowing out teams all we did was get first downs and march. I would like to see a return to that. I don't need 98 yard tds and then putting a tired D back on the field.
    I love it when we don't punt.

Great memories!