Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,010 Times in 4,236 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Some Interesting Comments on offense from former Bill Mckenzie

Notty,

With respect,

You are dead wrong.

McKenzie whined after dropping numerous balls in cold weather. He blamed the weather on his drops. He was absolute garbage last year. He had a golden opportunity to seize the slot WR job, and he blew it. He has nobody to blame but himself. He won't be in the league in 2 years.

2. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (05-23-2023),YardRat (05-24-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    So looks like more mental than physical as the Bills want Allen to improve

He needs to take what's given to him. He did it very well last year, early in the year, then for some reason stopped. If teams are going to give you free easy completions, take them every single time until they stop giving them.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh yeah, Jamaar Chase reacted to Mckenzie's comments...

Asked via Twitter what he thought about McKenzie's assessment, Bengals receiver Ja'Marr Chase replied, "my first time ever playing ina snow bro. just gotta play at the end of the day roun."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...m/70234665007/

Some guys show up for the big games and some guys don't and make excuses later, unfortunately we had the latter.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,639 Times in 7,707 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Notty,

With respect,

You are dead wrong.

McKenzie whined after dropping numerous balls in cold weather. He blamed the weather on his drops. He was absolute garbage last year. He had a golden opportunity to seize the slot WR job, and he blew it. He has nobody to blame but himself. He won't be in the league in 2 years.
    With respect,

YOU are dead wrong.

Funny that McKenzie echoed almost exactly what so many posters here have been saying in the underwhelming offensive scheming of the Bills.

McKenzie is spot on, and he was not making excuses for his performances (which he graded accurately) nor was he "absolute garbage last year”.

Maybe he did have "
    a golden opportunity to seize the slot WR job, and he blew it” IF the Bills had a similar strategy for the slot receiver when Daboll was OC.

Clearly, Dorsey’s offensive scheme was much different than Dabolls’, and I believe Dorsey ****ed up more than McKenzie.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    With respect,

YOU are dead wrong.

Funny that McKenzie echoed almost exactly what so many posters here have been saying in the underwhelming offensive scheming of the Bills.

McKenzie is spot on, and he was not making excuses for his performances (which he graded accurately) nor was he "absolute garbage last year”.

Maybe he did have "
    a golden opportunity to seize the slot WR job, and he blew it” IF the Bills had a similar strategy for the slot receiver when Daboll was OC.

Clearly, Dorsey’s offensive scheme was much different than Dabolls’, and I believe Dorsey ****ed up more than McKenzie.
    He specifically blamed the weather on his drops after a game.

It's a direct quote.

All he does is make excuses about catching a wet ball, etc,

https://youtu.be/hCHT4e1fxC0

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He specifically blamed the weather on his drops after a game.

It's a direct quote.

All he does is make excuses about catching a wet ball, etc,

https://youtu.be/hCHT4e1fxC0
    If you want to make a point of what McKenzie actually said, don’t just post a link to an hour long video....post a (partial) TRANSCRIPT on exactly what he said like I did right here.

He did NOT "All he does is make excuses about catching a wet ball, etc, “ That is simply not accurate.

Maybe you should read what I highlighted and try and understand the full scope of what he was saying.
    Last edited by notacon; 05-24-2023 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I watched that interview. He made numerous excuses. Winners don’t explain why they dropped passes. They take responsibility and say they have to do better. He’s clearly not a winner. He’s a crybaby and a me first player. Stop licking his ass

Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He needs to take what's given to him. He did it very well last year, early in the year, then for some reason stopped. If teams are going to give you free easy completions, take them every single time until they stop giving them.

Allen leads QBs with 19 turnovers 2022. I'm pretty sure that's what McDermott is referring to. 14INTs and 15 fumbles (lost 5). You can say most of the games the Bills lost are direct result of Allen's turnovers. Jets and the Vikings game to my mind.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Allen leads QBs with 19 turnovers 2022. I'm pretty sure that's what McDermott is referring to. 14INTs and 15 fumbles (lost 5). You can say most of the games the Bills lost are direct result of Allen's turnovers. Jets and the Vikings game to my mind.
    The INTs dont' worry me much. The fumbles, yes. Most of those fumbles are from carelessness. INTs happen, but fumbles should not (obviously there's a few that happen that aren't his fault, but you get what I mean).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I watched that interview. He made numerous excuses. Winners don’t explain why they dropped passes. They take responsibility and say they have to do better. He’s clearly not a winner. He’s a crybaby and a me first player. Stop licking his ass

We are talking about two completely different podcasts.

I provided excerpts from the May 15th, 2023 podcast where McKenzie offers up a very honest critique of the Cincy game and the effects of snow, but more importantly the issues with the design of the offense and how a lack of a running game hinders the same. The podcast that is THE subject of this thread.

You are presenting his in-season “Show” from Dec 13, 2022….after week 14 game vs the Jets....a completely different podcast.

The Jets game that many “fans” were whining about how “bad” the Bills (as a TEAM) looked despite the FACT that they were on a FOUR game winning streak (they never lost another regular season game…ending seven wins in a row) and sitting atop the AFCE AND the AFC Conference with a 10-3 record.

The idea that “all McKenzie did” was “make excuses” in this podcast and the one I quoted is comically absurd and totally false.

Do you understand what “all he does” means?!?!? Jesus.

In FACT, DIRECT QUOTES show a different reality….when the discussion turns about playing in a dome (yeah….a subject of numerous discussions right here for years, especially NOW because they are building a new stadium)….as compared to playing outside in the elements….and then very pertinent discussion on just how whiny and stupid “Twitter” (read: social media, which includes some posters on THIS site)....and expectations....preparations for bad weather games and many other interesting subjects with insightful and thoughtful discussion....not “excuses”!

This podcast was after a tough fought WIN vs NY Jets, in extremely bad conditons., In fact, the very opening paragraph in the “Gamecast recap” was…

Greg Rousseau and the Buffalo Bills didn’t want to let down Von Miller.

On Sunday, they collectively filled the absence of their star pass rusher by not letting up on Mike White and the New York Jets.

With Josh Allen and the Bills offense having difficulty finding its footing on a slick field, the defense combined for four sacks, forced two turnovers and clinched a 20-12 win by having White turn the ball over on downs by throwing four straight incompletions — the last batted down by A.J. Epenesa.
    McKenzie was talking about “WE”, meaning the whole team, more than himself.

What he said was brutally HONEST. And ACCURATE. Coming from one on the actual field, instead of watching the game all warm and cozy on their couch.

I value what McKenzie says exponentially more than so much of the hubris we read here from the whiners that are quick to **** on players.

BTW…the stat line for Diggs and McKenzie were almost identical……

5 targets each, 3 catches each. Diggs for 37 yards, McKenzie for 21 yards.

It was a tough day to throw and catch the ball. Josh finished with 16/27 (only 59%) for only 147 yards.

Here is the transcript that started with a discussion about he elements, and went from there, touching in just how much some “fans” like to ***** and moan about stuff they have no idea about.

McKenzie: I mean the biggest biased question the thing is for me is I get it you know it is an advantage (playing in bad weather) and I'm I'm fine with it you know saying no matter you know whatever people say I'm fine with being playing outside I don't care but it's just like when things like this happen like it rains no rain the whole game and we throw the ball and yes Josh can cut it in the wind but where's the ball the wind takes the ball or he slips off his hand or and then we got to worry about catching the ball from this Gunslinger so so it's just like you know it's I don't know it's just a little it's just you got to focus a little more which you can't focus on the main thing is that's just like playing football

Taylor Dunn: yeah I don't know though football is a it's a violent game Yeah by violent people as the football Gods intended Lombardi Palace Landry nagursky they want it to be in the conditions right

McKenzie: yeah I mean that's fine

Dunn: the mud you know what don't even take care of the field just make make it a big mud pit all right what was it like out there Sunday then because it was the wintry mix.

McKenzie: yeah

Dunn: it was windy and a little windy but wet yeah

McKenzie: it was mostly wet the field so I

Dunn: I'm not making excuses

Dunn: we're not letting you off the hook with excuses

McKenzie: um no it was it was like rain snow rain snow it never really stopped and the field was what I'm saying so you had to watch how you ran routes and all that stuff so it's just like and we were switching our gloves in and out because they were getting soaked like every time we touched the ground it was getting soaked so but as we drive down the field the ball was like soaked but the first play yeah it'd be fine but after that the ball's hitting the ground it's rolling everywhere it's just but we do wet ball drills in practice and I'll tell you the whole the main person that hates it…

Josh.

Dunn: he doesn't like the wet ball drill

McKenzie: yeah he hates it

Dunn: really

McKenzie: he hates it

Dunn: how does it work then do you just have like a big bucket of water

McKenzie: no, so coach comes has yeah well we don't you well I think we did a bucket of water before but he started using the spray bottle he'll spray the whole ball just with water soak it the whole bottle just soak it right and then it's a hike and then you just throw the ball and yeah whatever happens happens

Dunn: well I don't know I mean we were going to have a wet ball drill today you put it out there for those you know hopefully people don't live on Twitter because Twitter's awful it's a gross disgusting place but you did throw a tweet out today saying that we should just have a wet ball drill here at the show

Dunn: and I thought you were serious I brought a football John put the kibosh to it too he doesn't
    want you know any injuries so we're not doing the wet ball drill sorry for everybody was looking forward to that unless you can find John and convince him and tell Isaiah we should then I'm open to it we got a football so I don't know. How hard is it to catch a wet football

McKenzie: oh it's hard especially with gloves on

Dunn: it's like they take the gloves off

McKenzie: yeah good luck [Laughter]

um but no that's why the thing is I was trying like the first pass it was like okay I thought the ball was so dry I was like I'm so confident because I went up I was like oh and then it went it hit my hands and then it's as I was trying to bring it in it was slipping I was like Oh and it got all the way down to my lap and then he pushed me out of bounds and I didn't know the ball was that wet and so I'll go to the sideline ah okay

cool so then the next case I just started catching it with my body and that's the reverse I got nobody would know because I'm a professional um the reverse I got Josh pitched it to me and I grabbed it and my left hand slipped off the ball so I just put it in my right hand so if you see me I'm running down the left sideline with the ball in my right hand I couldn't switch it because it was slippery but it won't look like it because that's just what I do right

So and then the other one that was up here right I was like there's nothing I could do with that one so it's like whatever so yeah I …

Dunn: got a hold on one of them

Dunn: it was that one yeah right that kind of gets lost in the mix

McKenzie: yeah I don't think people watching that part I don't think people are watching the game it's just watching like Isaiah what the hell is he doing

Dunn: I don't know I mean it's not real life on Twitter so I don't think they're even bringing it up but you caught a lot of crap on there like a lot of people you know all the time really I guess everybody kind of needs somebody to pick on so why not the little guy why not

McKenzie: yeah right like before halftime like I didn't just catch the ball and drive us downfield right the that's why somebody asked me they said uh uh uh they say oh yeah would you catch the ball I was like well I'm the one that got it started like who was catching the ball besides me before half after that before halftime to get us and then Dawson scored I was like okay cool

Dunn: does it bother you I mean does does this bother you when you hear from people

McKenzie: no

Dunn: no

Dunn: it's funny it seemed like there was some good replies there yeah people giving
    you some unsolicited advice

Dunn: on how to catch the football

McKenzie: exactly

Dunn: yeah

it's all good you know it's just. oh one guy said um he's losing me a lot of money in my bets and I was like well stop betting on me It's like I don't even bet on myself.
    Don't bet on me how about you just watch the game and enjoy and have fun

Dunn: right I think gambling does kind of uh

McKenzie: oh yeah

Dunn: turn the thermometer up a little bit

McKenzie: yeah yeah

Dunn: we but the good thing is you know the NFL's you know they're sponsored by DraftKings and they're you know throwing it all out there but they do tell you there's a hotline to call if you have a problem so that's nice it's just it's just so I hypocritical as always. um but yeah I don't know like you don't care what people think about you

Dunn: but it it is interesting that you know scapegoats are needed people to blame are needed

McKenzie: oh yeah

Dunn: and right now it's it's kind I don't know I get the sense though that everybody's just kind of wondering why the offense is in a little bit of a funk right now and trying to piece that together

McKenzie: I think for the most part it's just I'm I don't know everybody I mean we doing what we can you know we're doing like during the week we're like okay like every week we're like we got the place we're we're practicing hard we're doing well bam but the week as well the sun is out yeah everything's fine and then Sunday comes and it's like it's raining we got to change the game plan we got to run different catch the ball different it's like those say I play a little role you know I'm saying when during the week you're like ah I'm feeling good I'm feeling good and then you get out there and it's a snowstorm and you gotta adjust the offense you got to call certain plays a different way catch the ball to throw the ball a different way it's just it's different you know I'm saying I feel like besides that game other games before that when it was just nice outside and we weren't playing too well it was just everybody going through their bumps and bruises like Josh you know he went to a state where he was throwing two interceptions a game and it was like okay well he's he's in the funk right now but it's not like he can't get out of it you know he's you know what he's capable of you know so it's just

Dunn: is it more mental or physical because right I mean there's going to be elements right football's always been played in the wind and the snow and the Heat and the everything um so how can these coaches get you guys better prepared to handle whatever's thrown at you on Sunday

McKenzie: um I don't think there's a preparation when it comes to elements or or anything you know I'm saying there's anything besides it it's just I'll be honest I don't know you know we just got to play better football you know we understand that it's not like we don't understand we gotta play better football it's just like you know it's it is what it is you know but at the same time like I don't know like how like what do you think like how like if I'm trying to figure it out and I'm on the team it's like what what do you do to be better it's like if we're not doing it and we're doing we're…

Dunn: probably running the ball better I guess I don't know it seems like you know if it's bad weather just run it more

Dunn: is it that simple?

Dunn: I don't know

McKenzie: because we can barely run the ball when it's sunny out so you know like it's it's like we

Dunn: yeah

McKenzie: we doing what we can and it's like it's it's not working it's working it's not working so I just we got it we gotta take the bumps and bruises as they come but we understand like the best footballs played in November and December and a win is a win I'm saying you just don't want to L at the end of the day

Dunn: that's true I mean it it's weird to nitpick and and try to dissect everything that's
    wrong with this bill's offense

Dunn: but when you're 10-3 and I get it maybe the argument stops there at the same time the expectations were super bowl or bust for this team this year

McKenzie: and in beginning we said I said we can't Bank on that you know because I mean the bills are still going to be the bills 10 years from now like you still gotta you know so we can't just Bank on one year you know even though these last few years have been our best years you know and I just feel like if you think about that a lot of people don't think about the process that's what a trusted process
    comes in you know

Dunn: that was one of the words we're gonna ban on this show we don't we don't use trust to process on this podcast, but it it kind of agitated enough

McKenzie: it kind of goes into play like everybody's thinking oh the bills are down to one super [ __ ] they have to Once well they're they're the same to win the Super Bowl

Dunn: as a player to handle that pressure I mean it is real

Dunn: nobody has bet on a team to win the Super Bowl more than the 2022 Buffalo Bills

McKenzie: exactly. I mean it's just but there's also in the mix of winter it's not like we can just jump from Camp to the Super Bowl you know and so because if we could do that then okay let's do it but

Dunn: I know

McKenzie: along those lines we got like uh okay we gotta win this game we gotta win that game we gotta lose this game we got to win that game we gotta you know like we gotta get injured here we gotta do we gotta fly to Detroit because it's snow on the ground like things happen you know what I'm saying like Joshua's interception I drop a ball ditch score touchdown like it's gonna happen like you know like it's just but what we could let's say yes if God's willing we go to the Super Bowl then all that's out the window then you know so but that's like that's that's life in general I'm saying if something good happens and something bad happened the good of I mean how depending on how good the good is the bad doesn't really matter anymore

Dunn: and you would still prefer home field advantage even though the elements can kind of throw this offense off Maybe not maybe a neutral site maybe pop over to the Carrier Dome

More…

What you brush aside as “excuses” were just the HONEST TRUTH.

Brutally honest and doing what McKenzie always did on his podcast with Tyler Dunn....give the HONEST scoop...no “football interview talk” when a player says nothing, except tired cliches. Yeah...he AVOIDS the kind of “happy talk” that tells us nothing about what actually happened during a game....or the mindset of the TEAM.

The REAL “cry babies” are WAY too many Bills “fans” and no, I am not “licking his (McKenzie’s) ass”…it’s more like YOU are licking your own ass with unbridled hubris, hyperbole and misleading dishonest rubbish.

Too many “fans” just cant handle the truth and would rather to live in their own world of knee jerk hyperbole that is based on nothing except their own bias and ignorance (as in they have NO IDEA what it is like playing in ANY NFL game much less under adverse conditions like the Jets game).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So, what is Bill McKenzie's name now? Now that I've got that bit of silliness out of the way, I think that overall Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott have a solid reputation of being up front with and caring about their players, but I believe that even when you have a generally honest and open staff, there can be crossed signals. It is hard to have perfect communication all the time. As far as running the ball is concerned, I agree that the Bills didn't do enough of it. Moreover, they were erratic at it. Sometimes they were very effective at it and other times it looked like they were trying to run into a brick wall. I think the explanation is that Buffalo had a lack of power at running back coupled with deficiencies on the offensive line. At least that's what the Bills seem to think. They let Singletary walk and acquired two running backs that have a reputation for power running in Harris and Murray. Coupled with that, they acquired three new guards, all of which have the potential to compete for a starting position. McGovern and Torrence in particular have reputations for consistency and perhaps more power than they guys they could potentially replace (Saffold and Bates) Of course, Saffold is long gone. Bates may stick around, but he is smaller than the guys they brought in. He may be fairly quick and athletic, but I think that physically he could be overcome by power on the defensive line. The Bills wanted to change the equation.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.