X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Re: Frazier gone but not forgotten???

Anyone remember Josh Allens first game? LAC, bills played extremely soft coverage the first half, MCD took over playcalling duties and we immediately went into the crowded prowl defense with different blitz variations. We continued that most of the following season also

The last couple years weve seen Fraziers defense creep in more and more to the point where we dont see the crowded defense much at all, except for the playoffs

athe last 3 playoff games weve given up 31, 27, 42 points

KC where they scored 24 points the next week

And with Miamis 3rd string QB where he was throwing to wide open receivers the whole game.

Weve been living for years off of dominating bad QBs. Weve had good wins vs Mahomes during the regular season, but aside from him, weve seen this team be completely un prepared for QBs like Zach Wilson, Skylar Thompson, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff

Weve also completely struggled vs the run late in seasons the last couple years. I dont think McD and Frazier saw eye to eye, because they both run completely opposite defenses

Look up Allens first game, the first half was Fraziers defense, second half is McDermotts. That will show all you need to know about their philosophies
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Chet
      Allenhu Joshbar
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by sukie View Post
      If this is true then Frazier was our Biennemy. Won’t be missed and didn’t do anything of significance.

I don’t buy it. Did McD develop pussified D schemes in NC?
      Winning post, and not really arguable

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

If this is true then Frazier was our Biennemy. Won’t be missed and didn’t do anything of significance.

I don’t buy it. Did McD develop pussified D schemes in NC?
        Yeah.

McD's last year in Carolina as DC? 26th in points allowed, 21st in yards allowed. He was a DC for 8 years prior to coming here...4 of those years his teams were near the bottom of the league in points allowed. 2 of those 8 years his defenses were really good however. The other two meh.

In case you didn't know that McD wasn't exactly great overall as a DC...

Get Stats, Coaching Records, Team Ranks, Coordinators, and more for Sean McDermott on Pro-football-reference.com.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
          It's amazing the hatred some have for Frazier or how the blame on everything is placed squarely at his feet.

Maybe this year will be eye opening to some of you.

This has always been McDermott's defense.
          The lack of aggressive playcalling on gameday was Fraziers. The D under Frazier was good for regular season games. Come playoffs it wasn't good enough vs. elite teams especially KC. Some changes needed to be made and maybe Frazier didnt like them.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Nope. the signature suggestion would do that for you giving you more time to manscape and loofah.
            Sorry...I don’t do “signatures” nor do I even allow any of those to show up in my settings.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
              Anyone remember Josh Allens first game? LAC, bills played extremely soft coverage the first half, MCD took over playcalling duties and we immediately went into the crowded prowl defense with different blitz variations. We continued that most of the following season also

The last couple years weve seen Fraziers defense creep in more and more to the point where we dont see the crowded defense much at all, except for the playoffs

athe last 3 playoff games weve given up 31, 27, 42 points

KC where they scored 24 points the next week

And with Miamis 3rd string QB where he was throwing to wide open receivers the whole game.

Weve been living for years off of dominating bad QBs. Weve had good wins vs Mahomes during the regular season, but aside from him, weve seen this team be completely un prepared for QBs like Zach Wilson, Skylar Thompson, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff

Weve also completely struggled vs the run late in seasons the last couple years. I dont think McD and Frazier saw eye to eye, because they both run completely opposite defenses

Look up Allens first game, the first half was Fraziers defense, second half is McDermotts. That will show all you need to know about their philosophies
              I don’t buy the cherry picking canard of “the last 3 playoff games weve [sic] given up 31, 27, 42 points“.

In 2022 playoffs the Bills allowed an average of 29 PTS/G. KC allowed 25 PTS/G.

But that was not the real difference.

In 2022 playoffs the Bills scored only 22 PTS/G. KC…29.2 PTS/G

Philly – 34.7 PTS/G.

The 2021 loss to KC in OT was an anomaly. Defenses did not really matter for most of that game, in particular, at the end of the 4th quarter and in OY. Does anyone believe that if the Bills got the coin toss they would have not won that game??!?!

Of course not. It was a track meet.

How many points a team allows, in and of itself, is irrelevant. What really matters is they score more than they allow….funny this should even have to be mentioned because it is the bedrock reality in all of sports.

If one team in the last three playoff games allows only 17, 10 & 14 points, but they score only 14, 7 & 13 respectively, what the hell does that matter?!?!? Of course…NOTHING.

Last year, the Bills failure to score more than 10 points against Cincy is why they lost. I have pointed out this fact many times, unfortunately some just don’t want to accept the glaring reality….

For the playoffs, since Since 2000 (including 2022) there have been 46 teams that have scored 10 or less points (excluding Super Bowls). Their record??

0-46

The last time a team scored 10 or less points in a playoff game and won??

1997. PITT 7 – NE 6.

The Super Bowl is even MORE stark….in ALL 56 Super Bowls, one ream has scored 10 or less points SIXTEEN times. Their record????...If you are paying attention you guessed it…..

0-16.

Is NE proud that in 1997 they held Pittsburgh to only 7 points??? Well….since they scored only 6, who gives a ****???

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Beane is the reason he's leaving.

He runs this team and spent 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders on DL he wishes to see play better. The "bend don't win" idea didn't work. Obviously told McDermott he needs to change the scheme or else.

I like my narrative over the others.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• sukie
                  Seriously?
                  • Sep 2012

He stepped away intsead of being fired simple to head off the headline “Down goes Frazier”.

chew on THAT narrative.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

He runs this team and spent 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders on DL he wishes to see play better. The "bend don't win" idea didn't work. Obviously told McDermott he needs to change the scheme or else.

I would be very surprised if McDermott does not have final say on his staff written into his contract. Or else what? He's fired? I don't think so. The lack of production from the D line picks is not on Frazier, that makes no sense. Those guys have been disappointing all on thier own. But we will see.

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

The 10 yards off the line when it’s 3rd and 5 or less was maddening. 10 seconds which is actually correct due to the kick, was when his career in Buffalo should have ended. Bend don’t break is bend don’t win. Pleasant man but that won’t even get you a side of blue cheese.
                      download-1.jpg

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
                        • Aug 2012

He stepped away intsead of being fired simple to head off the headline “Down goes Frazier”.

chew on THAT narrative.
                        One can “chew on THAT narrative” all they want.

Does not make it any more credible because there is zero evidence that it’s even close to being accurate.

Comment

• sukie
                          Seriously?
                          • Sep 2012

Skurski seems to point out that it is reasonable speculation to think he was forced out. The timing of the sabbatical. The need for a year off when interested in a HC job (terrible look) and if you are tired, joining in on the coaching acceleration program shows lack of a need for a break.

walking away vs fired looks better to your next employer.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

walking away vs fired looks better to your next employer.
                            Does it?

Ok maybe in Portugal.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

I agree, Train.

His defenses kinda/sorta reminded me of Walt Corey's.

Bend, but don't break.

Rush, but don't blitz, as that will open up a hole.

Give up the short stuff in front of you, don't get burned long.

Then clamp down in the red zone.

This is a solid scheme in the regular season, playing against the Jets, the Browns, and the Lions, but as everyone knows, things amp up in the playoffs.

And that's where Buffalo continues to come up short.

I liked Fraiser, and I think a lot of successful teams have had former HCs do well as coordinators, but he is always going to be remembered for the 13 seconds.

And he should be.

Comment

• sukie
                                Seriously?
                                • Sep 2012

10 seconds. That’s even worse. There were 3 seconds left to kick the FG

Comment

Working...
                                X