Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Frazier gone but not forgotten???

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Frazier gone but not forgotten???

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    He stepped away intsead of being fired simple to head off the headline “Down goes Frazier”.

chew on THAT narrative.
    One can “chew on THAT narrative” all they want.

Does not make it any more credible because there is zero evidence that it’s even close to being accurate.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,153 Times in 5,890 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Skurski seems to point out that it is reasonable speculation to think he was forced out. The timing of the sabbatical. The need for a year off when interested in a HC job (terrible look) and if you are tired, joining in on the coaching acceleration program shows lack of a need for a break.

walking away vs fired looks better to your next employer.

3. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,564 Times in 6,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    walking away vs fired looks better to your next employer.
    Does it?

Ok maybe in Portugal.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,243 Times in 15,407 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Beane is the reason he's leaving.

He runs this team and spent 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders on DL he wishes to see play better. The "bend don't win" idea didn't work. Obviously told McDermott he needs to change the scheme or else.

I like my narrative over the others.
    I agree, Train.

His defenses kinda/sorta reminded me of Walt Corey's.

Bend, but don't break.

Rush, but don't blitz, as that will open up a hole.

Give up the short stuff in front of you, don't get burned long.

Then clamp down in the red zone.

This is a solid scheme in the regular season, playing against the Jets, the Browns, and the Lions, but as everyone knows, things amp up in the playoffs.

And that's where Buffalo continues to come up short.

I liked Fraiser, and I think a lot of successful teams have had former HCs do well as coordinators, but he is always going to be remembered for the 13 seconds.

And he should be.

6. Post thanked by:

Forward_Lateral (06-07-2023),Mad Bomber (05-30-2023),Night Train (06-08-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

10 seconds. That’s even worse. There were 3 seconds left to kick the FG

8. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Frazier gone as gone can be but absolutely NOT FORGOTTEN for all of us ....... unfortunately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Reports are that Frazier is trying to get back into coaching and has visited the packers and commanders while visiting the giants today

So he didnt take a "year off", like the initial narrative was

This mixed with all the reports coming out of buffalo saying "the defense will be geared towards a more attacking and aggressive defense", with mcdermott, when we know fraziers history of being a more conservative defense, shows that this was definitely closer to a "firing", than Frazier wanting a break

So notty, im pretty sure this proves our point that Frazier was fired, so lets embrace McDermotts D and acknowledge Fraziers defense wasnt providing the scheme that McDermott was trying to implement
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cmon we all know what happened here, well except for one poster here, he was nicely fired.
    This was the best offseason move.

12. Post thanked by:

Novacane (06-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Cmon we all know what happened here, well except for one poster here, he was nicely fired.
    We'll see. I hope McDermott makes them more aggressive.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    Reports are that Frazier is trying to get back into coaching and has visited the packers and commanders while visiting the giants today

This mixed with all the reports coming out of buffalo saying "the defense will be geared towards a more attacking and aggressive defense", with mcdermott, when we know fraziers history of being a more conservative defense, shows that this was definitely closer to a "firing", than Frazier wanting a break

So notty, im pretty sure this proves our point that Frazier was fired, so lets embrace McDermotts D and acknowledge Fraziers defense wasnt providing the scheme that McDermott was trying to implement

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Yep, anyone with a functioning brain knows this.

How about we let this thread die till it hits the next page so he’s both gone AND forgotten. That seems like a happy ending.

…and yes, I realize the irony of bumping this just to say that

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

notacon is proven wrong once again. Yawn.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

please merge.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

can we merge these two threads about Frazier?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    notacon is proven wrong once again. Yawn.
    What exactly have I been “proven wrong” about??

Provide actual quotes (with links so we can see the full context) of what I wrote that was “wrong” and then an explanation that “proves” I was wrong and why.

Unless this is the usual bullying bloviating nonsense that sounds a lot like what a certain Orange Man does all the time.

Are you going to run and hide or put some substance behind your bluster???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    What exactly have I been “proven wrong” about??

Provide actual quotes (with links so we can see the full context) of what I wrote that was “wrong” and then an explanation that “proves” I was wrong and why.

Unless this is the usual bullying bloviating nonsense that sounds a lot like what a certain Orange Man does all the time.

Are you going to run and hide or put some substance behind your bluster???

Your orange?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post

How does this “prove” that he “didnt [sic] take a year off”?? And how does this prove that Frazier was fired???

The short answer….it doesn’t. Not in the least.

Unfortunately, you seem to be blowing out of proportion both what is happening here and especially what it means.

Yes, Frazier’s intention was always “getting back into coaching”. He’s said so several times......preferably for a head coaching position and after he took a year off.

Looks like I have to explain the what is really going once again….using the facts that are knowable instead of making wild assumptions from half-baked logic based on misunderstood snippets of information.

I have to warn you that intelligent concepts take more than a few bumper sticker slogans to explain complex issues thoroughly, so this post necessarily has more words than the “Cliff Notes” crowd can handle. That’s their problem and why “half-baked logic based on misunderstood snippets of information” is their badge of dishonor.

Frazier IS “trying to get back into coaching” and has said that many times since he announced his one-year step back. That has ALWAYS been the stated goal and WHY he said he was not retiring but taking a leave from coaching. That is no secret!!!

So that makes your initial revelation “Frazier is trying to get back into coaching” rather nonsensical.

With two extremely critical caveats.

#1. that it is much preferable to do so (and he has not specifically said if this is a deal breaker, but it sure sounds like it) as a HEAD COACH. Or, at the least in a “different capacity”
    The obvious foundation of his frustration is, like many Black coaches in the NFL, of being passed over for the HC job.

#2. His return would be after taking a year off.

What these visits do NOT do (in any way) is “prove your point” that he was “fired” OR prove that he is not taking a year off are the recent visit with three teams.

Why???

Well, that would take one actually paying attention to what has gone on recently, what Frazier has said (in public and on the record) in addition to the NFL’s dedicated (and very public) effort to encourage Black coaches to be hired as head coaches and other high-level position on NFL teams.

As was reported quite widely, during the recent NFL Owners meetings, they conducted, for the second year in a row, the “Coach Accelerator” program. It was announced by the NFL on May 17, 2023….

NFL coach accelerator program to take place during Spring League Meeting in Minneapolis

In continuation of the NFL's commitment to promoting greater diversity across the NFL, the league announced plans to host a Coach Accelerator on May 21-23 at the Spring League Meeting in Minneapolis. The Spring Accelerator follows the inaugural Coach and Front Office Accelerator and the Front Office Accelerator hosted at previous league meetings in 2022.

The Coach Accelerator aims to increase exposure between owners, executives, and diverse coaching talent, providing ample opportunity to develop and build upon their relationships. In a change to the nomination process this year, clubs were able to nominate those from outside of their organization.

The 40 participants this year are attending based on their high potential to be considered for a head coach position in the future. Sixteen of the participants will be returning from the May 2022 Accelerator cohort.

In addition to networking, further development of the participants is a critical component of the accelerator, with curated content sessions scheduled that will further engage each participant on the advancement of their executive leadership skills and business acumen.

The 40 Black coach participants included 37 NFL coaches that are currently employed by a NFL team, including Kelly Skipper, the current RB coach for the Bills.

The other three were not presently employed by a NFL team, but have extensive NFL coaching experience.

Pep Hamilton

Kris Richard

Leslie Frazier

Obviously, every one of the 40 Black coaches that attended want to progress up the ranks in the NFL and the three that are not presently on a team are “trying to get back into coaching”.

The idea that since Frazier is visiting three teams in June that he is NOT going to take that year off is rather silly.

Why??? NFL teams do not hire coaches in June….their staff is set, and they are conducing OTA’s and getting ready for training camp and the upcoming season.

The cake is almost fully baked in June for every NFL team.

For Frazier, who has stated his desire to be a HC, he is not pining for another DC job. In any event, every single team in the NFL already has a DC in place….except one. The Bills.

In fact, the dedicated effort by the NFL to have more Black HC’s is based on “increased exposure between owners, executives, and diverse coaching talent, providing ample opportunity to develop and build upon their relationships.”.

That is what the “Rooney Rule" is all about. The hope that qualified Black coaches interacting via interviews with (almost) all white owners would foster relationships for future openings, or when owners get together and they talk about the interaction they had with this or that Black coach.

That furthering of “increased exposure” to owners to qualified Black coaches is what the recent team visits by Frazier is all about.

Plus the fact that the INTENTION for Frazier to conduct these visits were reported a week after the Coach Accelerator program (and a week before his now reported “visits” 5/30/23) as was Frazier’s hope to “interview for head coaching jobs in 2024

The report by Albert Breer including an interview with Frazier tells the story (which disproves your half-baked theory)….

How Roger Goodell Persuaded NFL Owners to Change the Kickoff Rule

Frazier’s in an interesting place right now. He decided to take this year off after serving as Sean McDermott’s defensive coordinator for the past six years in Buffalo and, as you’d think, as he settled into spending more time at his offseason home in California, it wasn’t the most comfortable thing at first.

Frazier has spent his past 35 years, more than half of his life, coaching football.

“Man, early on, this is the third month. So for me, that first month or two, it was hard, man, just trying to find my rhythm and getting used to having free time,” Frazier says. “It’s been so long, more than 30 years, since I haven’t been on a schedule this time of the year. So it was a challenge just trying to figure out what to do with myself. But over the last three or four weeks, things have gotten a lot better as far as me being organized in how I want to spend my time. And I’m thankful for it, just very, very thankful that I can do this.

“I’m so grateful that I’m in a position where we can step back and not be sweating about finances. So, just very thankful.”

He’ll start to put the free time to use this week in heading out to visit old coaching friends, with his focus on using that experience, and experiences like the accelerator, to get in the mix for jobs in January.

Maybe it happens for him. Maybe it doesn’t. Either way, he’s at peace with where he’s at.

“I really feel good about where I am,” he says. “I think my reasons for stepping away were the right reasons; I feel good about it. It just gives me a chance to see things from a different perspective, get recharged again and reenergized. I’m gonna go watch some teams in their OTAs, will probably do the same thing again in training camp, go visit some clubs as well. And then in the fall, I will really begin to take a look at what’s happening around the league, make sure I stay up on any new trends, anything that’s changing.

“And, hopefully, an owner will give me a chance to talk to him about an opportunity. If that doesn’t happen, I’m good. I’ve had a good career. I’m good. My goal is to be a head coach. I know I don’t have much time left, I’m at an age [64] where it seems like owners are going younger and younger, but I think I have some things I can bring to the table. We’ll see what happens.”
    Yeah…Frazier is doing exactly what he said he was going to do….”go watch some teams in their OTAs, will probably do the same thing again in training camp, go visit some clubs as well” all in a dedicated effort to achieve “my goal is to be a head coach” and positioning himself for a HC job in 2024.

So, no, what has been happening with Frazier does NOT, in any way, shape or form “prove” that he was “fired” or ESPECIALLY that he “didnt [sic] take a "year off".

He could be offered a HC job during the season when the inevitable firing of a HC during the seasons takes place….four in 2022, two in 2021, three in 2020…etc…etc… and that would obviously make his vow to sit out one year moot.

But, the facts belie your jumping to conclusions.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nottie, why wouldn’t Frazier just quit then? Why the dramatic take a year off crap. Is he under contract and taking a leave of absence? Was Buffalo holding the spot?

Frazier will get plenty of interviews in the years to come. No job but interviews.

Maybe an interim gig and then with luck…. Who knows. The accelerator program means nothing, you copy and pasted word salad. Thanks for the bold bits.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I spoke in another thread about this situation before it happened. Fire McDermott probably or the Fire Frazier thread--suggested they would all sit down and figure it out together and the owner had a big role in that.

What we have seen transpire is the result of the above happening. They decided the team needed to find some new thinking. And they are all men they can sit there and talk about how to help protect Frazier from being a scapegoat for anything. He doesn't need that **** just because he finds himself in a situation that needs to find a different dynamic and he's the most logical place to make a change.

The head coach is next if there aren't results. It's just a matter of having a lot of $$$ and effort tied up right now and needing the mix to render different results--which means shaking up the mix.

I bet McDermott is pissed off. Can't wait to see what he comes up with when he's pissed off and not just riding a bull**** rollercoaster which is what he was on last season.
    As far as Frazier interviewing for head coaching jobs consider from his perspective he's boxed into a corner on that one because that is his goal and he doesn't want to not interview and miss that opportunity even if he really wants a year off.

Everything we are talking about here is very complicated and involves a lot of people all of whom have their own perspectives. Wouldn't be surprised if Frazier gets hired as a head coach and McDermott suddenly hires a defensive coordinator or any combination of those things happening.

24. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (06-07-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone who thinks he wasn’t essentially fired is just delusional. He did not just decide to take some time off from coaching…lol

Bills wanted to tweak the defense philosophy and he refused to bend…like his defenses. Pun intended.
    Last edited by jamze132; 06-07-2023 at 11:50 PM.