X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cali512
    • Jan 2012

Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

I dont have the article but i was listening to Ryan Talbot on youtube and he specifically mentioned that Dorian Williams has been starting in the middle of our defense. He also said he looks bigger in person and is flying to the ball, good sign

Im also interested in Baylon Spector, he apparently was pretty impressive last year and is honestly our most traditional MLB in terms of side and strength

Good news
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Re: Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

Interesting, usually McDermott likes to ease rookies in. Maybe he's changed his ways

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Edmunds wasn’t eased in

Comment

• Chet
        Allenhu Joshbar
        • Feb 2017

I like this news. Hopefully this means he has stood out more than others have sucked.

Also liked the energy he (McD) had on the McAfee show about being DC again. Looking forward to some defensive fire now that the bot is gone

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Interesting. Williams lacks Edmunds' size, but he's obviously fast and reportedly very football smart. There have been other small MLBs who have been successful so hopefully Williams can continue in that mold.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sukie View Post
            Edmunds wasn’t eased in
            That's true

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
              Interesting. Williams lacks Edmunds' size, but he's obviously fast and reportedly very football smart. There have been other small MLBs who have been successful so hopefully Williams can continue in that mold.
              I never felt that Edmunds' size worked to his advantage, i.e. like he hit like a Mack truck. Maybe he affected the passing game with his height, I don't know.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                I never felt that Edmunds' size worked to his advantage, i.e. like he hit like a Mack truck. Maybe he affected the passing game with his height, I don't know.
                I think Edmunds was the scarecrow on the F. Him lining up in the middle with his height and speed scared QBs from taking the read over the middle. His passes defended for his 5 years was what, 35 total? I think he took away space . Good QBs had less of an issue.
                Last edited by sukie; 05-25-2023, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• swiper
                  • Sep 2010

Bills LB Dorian Williams Set for 'Immediate Impact' as a Rookie, Says Insider

"He's a tackle machine, he's very athletic," Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane said of third-round linebacker Dorian Williams after selecting him in the 2023 NFL Draft.

"Watch for third-round linebacker Dorian Williams to make an immediate impact," Fowler writes. "Buffalo needs a starter to replace Tremaine Edmunds. Williams is an explosive player (4.49 speed at 228 pounds) who was considered a late bloomer at Tulane: He weighed around 190 pounds when he enrolled in 2019."

Williams has his elite closing speed to thank, something he showed flashes of when he tied for the fourth-fastest 40 time among linebackers at the combine with a 4.49. This kind of 4-4 speed while rushing toward the quarterback or forcing running backs to cut it back inside could be a major reason why Beane said he'll be starting out at outside linebacker.
                  Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2023, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• swiper
                    • Sep 2010

Bills Head Coach’s Sudden ‘Flip’ on Rookie LB Raises Eyebrows

However, when McDermott addressed the media during organized team activities (OTAs) this week, he said that Williams was “playing the middle linebacker position” which throws him in what looks to be a five-man competition for the position with Terrell Bernard, Tyrel Dodson, Baylon Spector, and A.J. Klein.

SB Nation‘s Bruce Nolan tweeted, “I wish I knew what happened with Dorian Williams in the Bills’ eyes. Did Beane misspeak? Did they change their mind? Was there a disagreement on his future role? What changed their view of him between draft night and now?”

One person suggested on Twitter that Beane wanted to temper expectations for the rookie, “which would be understandable,” Nolan tweeted, “but it feels like there are much better ways to do that than saying Williams is an OLB and then having McD say on day one of OTAs that he’s beginning at MLB. It’s simply an odd thing.”

The switch-up gave The Athletic‘s Joe Buscaglia pause. “Beane said that they would likely begin with Williams taking reps at outside linebacker. But only a few weeks later, that initial diagnosis has flipped, as McDermott revealed they began OTAs with Williams working at middle linebacker. It’s a significant development due to the departure of Tremaine Edmunds and with a starting job open next to outside linebacker Milano.”

USA Today‘s Nick Wojton was also surprised by the Bills’ change of heart. “Whether it was prompted by Williams’ play on the practice field or just a simple change of plans, the coach’s word differ from the GMs a few short weeks ago,” Wojton wrote. “Regardless, both will be on the same page with the concept of the player who wins that job is the one that earned it.”
                    Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2023, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• swiper
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
                      Williams is 6' 1". Please recall that London Fletcher was an incredible MLB who was only 5' 10".

William's size is fine. Edmunds had size, but was not good as a player.

Comment

• sukie
                        Seriously?
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by swiper View Post
                        Williams is 6' 1". Please recall that London Fletcher was an incredible MLB who was only 5' 10".

Expect a call from Joe B… I gave him your number. He loves a spirited debate.

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Williams and Spector I like em both!!!!!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Plans can change, even over the course of a few weeks. MLB is the signal-caller of the defense and a lot to put on a rookie. I'm guessing Williams impressed the Bills with his knowledge of the playbook after just a few weeks so they decided to make the change.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by swiper View Post

Fletcher was also 245 and ran a 4.38 forty. He has 25 lbs on Williams, and a good portion of the fan base didn't want him sticking around because too many of his tackles were 4-5-6 yards downfield.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X