Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

I dont have the article but i was listening to Ryan Talbot on youtube and he specifically mentioned that Dorian Williams has been starting in the middle of our defense. He also said he looks bigger in person and is flying to the ball, good sign

Im also interested in Baylon Spector, he apparently was pretty impressive last year and is honestly our most traditional MLB in terms of side and strength

Good news
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

2. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (05-31-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

Interesting, usually McDermott likes to ease rookies in. Maybe he's changed his ways

Thanks
    Thanked 9,170 Times in 5,901 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Edmunds wasn’t eased in

5. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (05-26-2023),swiper (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like this news. Hopefully this means he has stood out more than others have sucked.

Also liked the energy he (McD) had on the McAfee show about being DC again. Looking forward to some defensive fire now that the bot is gone

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting. Williams lacks Edmunds' size, but he's obviously fast and reportedly very football smart. There have been other small MLBs who have been successful so hopefully Williams can continue in that mold.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

8. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (05-31-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Edmunds wasn’t eased in
    That's true

Thanks
    Thanked 5,093 Times in 3,572 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Interesting. Williams lacks Edmunds' size, but he's obviously fast and reportedly very football smart. There have been other small MLBs who have been successful so hopefully Williams can continue in that mold.
    I never felt that Edmunds' size worked to his advantage, i.e. like he hit like a Mack truck. Maybe he affected the passing game with his height, I don't know.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I never felt that Edmunds' size worked to his advantage, i.e. like he hit like a Mack truck. Maybe he affected the passing game with his height, I don't know.
    I think Edmunds was the scarecrow on the F. Him lining up in the middle with his height and speed scared QBs from taking the read over the middle. His passes defended for his 5 years was what, 35 total? I think he took away space . Good QBs had less of an issue.
    Last edited by sukie; 05-25-2023 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills LB Dorian Williams Set for 'Immediate Impact' as a Rookie, Says Insider

"He's a tackle machine, he's very athletic," Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane said of third-round linebacker Dorian Williams after selecting him in the 2023 NFL Draft.

"Watch for third-round linebacker Dorian Williams to make an immediate impact," Fowler writes. "Buffalo needs a starter to replace Tremaine Edmunds. Williams is an explosive player (4.49 speed at 228 pounds) who was considered a late bloomer at Tulane: He weighed around 190 pounds when he enrolled in 2019."

Williams has his elite closing speed to thank, something he showed flashes of when he tied for the fourth-fastest 40 time among linebackers at the combine with a 4.49. This kind of 4-4 speed while rushing toward the quarterback or forcing running backs to cut it back inside could be a major reason why Beane said he'll be starting out at outside linebacker.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2023 at 04:51 PM.

13. Post thanked by:

Chet (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills Head Coach’s Sudden ‘Flip’ on Rookie LB Raises Eyebrows

However, when McDermott addressed the media during organized team activities (OTAs) this week, he said that Williams was “playing the middle linebacker position” which throws him in what looks to be a five-man competition for the position with Terrell Bernard, Tyrel Dodson, Baylon Spector, and A.J. Klein.

SB Nation‘s Bruce Nolan tweeted, “I wish I knew what happened with Dorian Williams in the Bills’ eyes. Did Beane misspeak? Did they change their mind? Was there a disagreement on his future role? What changed their view of him between draft night and now?”

One person suggested on Twitter that Beane wanted to temper expectations for the rookie, “which would be understandable,” Nolan tweeted, “but it feels like there are much better ways to do that than saying Williams is an OLB and then having McD say on day one of OTAs that he’s beginning at MLB. It’s simply an odd thing.”

The switch-up gave The Athletic‘s Joe Buscaglia pause. “Beane said that they would likely begin with Williams taking reps at outside linebacker. But only a few weeks later, that initial diagnosis has flipped, as McDermott revealed they began OTAs with Williams working at middle linebacker. It’s a significant development due to the departure of Tremaine Edmunds and with a starting job open next to outside linebacker Milano.”

USA Today‘s Nick Wojton was also surprised by the Bills’ change of heart. “Whether it was prompted by Williams’ play on the practice field or just a simple change of plans, the coach’s word differ from the GMs a few short weeks ago,” Wojton wrote. “Regardless, both will be on the same page with the concept of the player who wins that job is the one that earned it.”
    Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2023 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Williams is 6' 1". Please recall that London Fletcher was an incredible MLB who was only 5' 10".

William's size is fine. Edmunds had size, but was not good as a player.

16. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (06-02-2023),Mad Bomber (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Williams is 6' 1". Please recall that London Fletcher was an incredible MLB who was only 5' 10".

Expect a call from Joe B… I gave him your number. He loves a spirited debate.

18. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Williams and Spector I like em both!!!!!

28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Plans can change, even over the course of a few weeks. MLB is the signal-caller of the defense and a lot to put on a rookie. I'm guessing Williams impressed the Bills with his knowledge of the playbook after just a few weeks so they decided to make the change.

21. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-25-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post

Fletcher was also 245 and ran a 4.38 forty. He has 25 lbs on Williams, and a good portion of the fan base didn't want him sticking around because too many of his tackles were 4-5-6 yards downfield.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

23. Post thanked by:

Kenny (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Fletcher was also 245 and ran a 4.38 forty. He has 25 lbs on Williams, and a good portion of the fan base didn't want him sticking around because too many of his tackles were 4-5-6 yards downfield.
    He's the same size and guys like Leonard, Warner, Roquan Smith, Kendricks, Wagner (height-wise) and White. And he's faster than all of them.

25. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (06-02-2023),swiper (05-25-2023)

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    I like this news. Hopefully this means he has stood out more than others have sucked.

Also liked the energy he (McD) had on the McAfee show about being DC again. Looking forward to some defensive fire now that the bot is gone
    This is a laughable take. As if McD didn't have direct input on defense before.

Also, how would any professional stand out / suck in week one of volunteer OTAs?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All the fans are former MLB will soon forget him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Apples and oranges. You are comparing Fletcher's weight at the height of his career vs a kid who hasn't played yet. The Bills will have him put on some weight. But I don't think they want their MLB at 245 in this day and age of the pass, pass, pass. If they can get him to 235-238, they'd be happy. They'll do that.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-25-2023 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ive said this a few times but most great LBs hover around the 6-1/6-2 230-240 range. Look at Werner who is 230 and 6-3

But about the post that mentioned Edmunds height being an issue, i agree with this 100%. As a LB, leverage is key. Its really hard to gain lower ground when your 6-5 because you have to get extremely low to take on most RBs who are nearly a foot shorter than him (most are around 5-9 to 6'0)

Say your 6-5, you get a clean shot at a 5'10 RB whos built like a truck. That RB always has the lower leverage on you and if your just disengaging from a lineman, your midsection is completely exposed. Which is probably why most of Edmunds missed tackles were him tackling high. This is why the ideal size is in the lower 6 ft range, it allows LBs to have the ability to get lower vs RBs to make the tackle.

Most LBs Edmunds size end up as DEs or edge rushers due to this and its the same reason you dont see a lot of 6-3+ RBs

30. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (05-26-2023),swiper (05-26-2023)