163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Per Nyup, Dorian Williams is starting at MLB

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    I have high hopes for Spector.

I see BALLHAWK written all over him.

I feel like ballhawk is a word used for players in the secondary or players who are elite pass defenders, but if you mean hes always around the ball in the run game, then yes. At least in OTAs and preseason that looked true
    Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    but if you mean he's always around the ball in the run game, then yes. At least in OTAs and preseason that looked true

Exactly .... his opportunity was too limited that won't happen this year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I’d love to see them give Spector a legit shot.
    They're crazy if they don't ....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    They're crazy if they don't ....
    They definitely will. It's going to be at a 5-man (Williams, Spector, Dodson, Bernard and Klein) competition for the other starting LB job.

7. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-29-2023),YardRat (05-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,631 Times in 7,702 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    They definitely will. It's going to be at a 5-man (Williams, Spector, Dodson, Bernard and Klein) competition for the other starting LB job.
    I suspect the “starter” competition will be very much like the “starting” #2 CB slot was last season. No clear “starter” in that one player was sure to start every game and be on the field for more than 60% of the defensive snaps (barring injury).

Last season, both Milano and Edmunds were on the field either 100% of the defensive snaps or close to that (except when injured).

We will see the same next year for Milano. Probably not so for whoever plays opposite him.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is it a positional thing or is Milano not capable to “QB” the defense?

10. Post thanked by:

swiper (06-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I suspect the �starter� competition will be very much like the �starting� #2 CB slot was last season. No clear �starter� in that one player was sure to start every game and be on the field for more than 60% of the defensive snaps (barring injury).

Last season, both Milano and Edmunds were on the field either 100% of the defensive snaps or close to that (except when injured).

We will see the same next year for Milano. Probably not so for whoever plays opposite him.

I think well see a rotation the first 4-5 games, then halfway well see a more permanent starter

Probably see Williams in nickel a lot sprinkled into base formations with Klein being the primary MLB, then whatever happens happens

I honestly like what we saw from Dodson a few years ago, but he needs to be consistent

Spector is extremely interesting to me also. He is the truest MLB on our team

12. Post thanked by:

notacon (06-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,425 Times in 14,144 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Is it a positional thing or is Milano not capable to “QB” the defense?
    I think Milano is at his best when he came play in space and focus on getting to the ball. The MLB position, even in our 2 LB system, has more responsibility in reading what's happening and reacting to it. Edmunds was pretty good at this, his issues were more getting through the traffic to make the play in the backfield or at the line. Milano also struggles in traffic and has shown past issues in disengaging from blocks.

Milano as an absolute piss missile just attacking the ball down hill is his best fit. He's gotten better in zone coverage, but still has some issues there. I think of Milano as a classic 43 WLB who is consistent and can make big plays happen when he's schemed correctly. If there is a guy I think could make the largest jump under McDermott taking over DC responsibilities it would be Milano.

Right now we are hoping that Williams can take over the MLB spot because we really don't have another option to go to. Dodson maybe could do it, but that's a risk and the other guys should only really be seen as depth/ST LB's.

I also wonder if they're going to try and go with a bigger Nickle look this year. The signings of Howard and Rapp make me think we could see Johnson get a little less time in the base package if they think they can read run and attack off that edge. Howard is a converted SS and Rapp has played a lot in the box and even inline in both college and the pros.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 06-01-2023 at 06:18 AM.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

14. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (06-02-2023)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,009 Times in 4,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Are they going to be playing the same base Nickel formation as last season, or will they play more of a traditional 4-3.

That will determine who plays LB, IMO. I'll wait to see how that shakes out before getting my hopes very high on anyone not named Milano

Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The one who calls defense is the one who has radio communications with the DC. DC gets the call in and relayed to everyone on D by that guy. Also that guy is responsible to make adjustments.

So the guy usually plays every snap. Thus with rotation on D-line, it cannot be a D-linemen. Also secondary is too wide or far back to make adjustment call. Naturally it is a linebacker who does not get sub-packaged out.

LB position wise, MLB is better than OLB to communicate adjustment to everyone. Bernard and Dotson are likely one to start the season. I have to see how Williams play a game before even considering him at this point. Hyde said in his interview that pretty much if the MLB call is wrong, then we all go wrong because all 11 guys have to believe in and do their own duty to make it works. No half hearted trying to execute your own reads outside of your responsibility.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 06-01-2023 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cali512 View Post
    I think well see a rotation the first 4-5 games, then halfway well see a more permanent starter

Probably see Williams in nickel a lot sprinkled into base formations with Klein being the primary MLB, then whatever happens happens

I honestly like what we saw from Dodson a few years ago, but he needs to be consistent

Spector is extremely interesting to me also. He is the truest MLB on our team
    Maybe...maybe not. It’s the biggest open question of the season.

Just like CB was the biggest open question last season. The Bills never really came out of the rotation....who “started” the game is irrelevant. It’s all about the snap count.

Milano and Edmunds regularly played almost 100% of the defensive snaps when they were healthy. Milano had ten games with 100% snap count. Three others were over 90%. He rested some of the Pitt game with 66% snap count. He missed two games because of injury.

Edmunds was similar, nine games with 100% snap count, two others with 90%+ one 80%. He left the Minny game early after a groin injury. He was out three other games (17th game was cancelled of course)

Elam last season had only two games with 100% snap count....week #3 vs Miami, when injuries decimated the Bills defense, Dane Jackson was inactive and Benford and third stringer Ja’Marcus Ingram were splitting the other CB spot & vs Pittsburgh when Benford was inactive.

Elam was benched in the week 14 Jets game and played less than 50% of the snaps the remaining three regular season games.

He increased his snap count in the Miami playoff game to 61% and played well. His snap count increased slightly for the Cincy game to 65%.

It will be interesting to see how the percentage of snaps counts progress for each LB (except Milano....he will be on the field all the time). Hopefully, one of the four or five competing will rise above the others.

I doubt the LB opposite Milano will get 100% snaps in any game, much less most of them. We’ll see.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Are they going to be playing the same base Nickel formation as last season, or will they play more of a traditional 4-3.

That will determine who plays LB, IMO. I'll wait to see how that shakes out before getting my hopes very high on anyone not named Milano
    +1

As I have detailed before, the Bills led the league in nickel snap count last season with 92%. They had the second highest percentage of nickel and dime formation with 95% (Dallas was #1 with 98%).

With the extension of Poyer and Hyde coming back (hopefully as strong as ever) from injury and especially the signing of S Taylor Rapp (plus Tre’ White hopefully in 100% form from day one, and Elam (hopefully) improving in year two) I suspect that the Bills will hardly ever play a “traditional 4-3” in 2023.

If anything, the percentage of dime may increase.

As I said before.... the idea of taking Taron Johnson, who was their most steady and dependable CB last season (and what they would most likely do if fielding a 4-3 defense), OFF THE FIELD and replace him with a LB that we do not have (fielding two LB’s is hard enough, since Milano is the only reliable one we have....putting three on the field is downright scary) is pretty doubtful.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seize the day ..... plenty of opportunities finally .... I see nothing but good things going forward!

LB's play better with a strong front 4

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have noticed Bernard has been getting good press from multiple local scribes. I will be watching. Maybe we're not hurting at LB, outside of Milano. Maybe we have a couple young 3rd rounders that can play. Hoping it carries over to games.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One more thing. Parrino and Talbot ay NYupstate do a good job covering the team and have a good podcast on YouTube. Lots of observations that are well thought out and balanced.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I have noticed Bernard has been getting good press from multiple local scribes. I will be watching. Maybe we're not hurting at LB, outside of Milano. Maybe we have a couple young 3rd rounders that can play. Hoping it carries over to games.
    But, wait!!!! No writer has any credibly according to some confused fans here.