Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: D Hop released

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: D Hop released

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    LOL. So says the self-proclaimed experts. There is no windows closing. The only window is Allen's age, he's young. All the other pieces are replaceable.

Furthermore, you sign a Hopkins and it pushes Gabe Davis down, Shakir down, the new TE down in their looks. All players that should be getting more looks, not less. 2021 Davis is a fine #2 WR.
    It’s completely unrealistic and untrue to think any team has a window that lasts a QB’s entire career.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-30-2023)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

" The Window Is Closing " wins created cliche of the year . I believe the winner gets a $100 gift cetificate for Anderson Windows upon installation.

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quo...a-89-78-74.jpg
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 7,521 Times in 6,083 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As more players who technically represent themselves apparently use burner email accounts that their non-certified agents use to communicate directly with teams while posing as the player, some teams are deciding not to communicate with self-represented players via email.
    Per a league source, multiple teams have been shying away from sending emails to and from receiver DeAndre Hopkins, given the possibility that they’ll be communicating not with Hopkins but with a non-certified agent who is pretending to be Hopkins. Instead, those teams insist on talking directly to Hopkins — and only Hopkins.

Some teams are shying away from email communication with DeAndre Hopkins - ProFootballTalk

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Tom Brady is retired. Unless he isn’t.

We know Brady is buying a slice of the Raiders, pending approval of the league at large. We also now know that Jimmy Garoppolo might never play for the Raiders, given a foot injury from 2022 that sparked a massive overhaul of his Vegas contract — including the entire elimination of his $11.25 million signing bonus.

The Jimmy Garoppolo injury makes the Tom Brady angle more viable - ProFootballTalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,505 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Tom Brady is retired. Unless he isn’t.

We know Brady is buying a slice of the Raiders, pending approval of the league at large. We also now know that Jimmy Garoppolo might never play for the Raiders, given a foot injury from 2022 that sparked a massive overhaul of his Vegas contract — including the entire elimination of his $11.25 million signing bonus.

The Jimmy Garoppolo injury makes the Tom Brady angle more viable - ProFootballTalk

What does this have to do with Hopkins?

7. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-28-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Bringing in Hopkins makes sense in terms of adding a real #2 to the team and relegating Davis to a more limited 3/4 role which is where he should be. Adding Hopkins after drafting Kincaid doesn’t make a ton of sense to me given you have to feed Hopkins the ball to keep him happy and get him going.

I get the can’t have enough weapons argument, but the only question on offense that matters is Allen getting back to where he needs to be.
    I get what you're saying. But they gave Gabe 93 targets last year in 15 games. Diggs usually gets 160. If you give each of them 140-150 targets through 17 games, he should be happy enough.

The question is "Do you want to lead the league in catches or do you want to win?"

Diggs seems like the guy who wants to win if the playoff exits are any indication. Assuming Hopkins comes here, i'd think the same.

If both of them aren't on board with sharing the ball a little more for the sake of winning, then you're correct, it doesn't work.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    What does this have to do with Hopkins?
    tell me and we'll both know.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    " The Window Is Closing " wins created cliche of the year . I believe the winner gets a $100 gift cetificate for Anderson Windows upon installation.

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quo...a-89-78-74.jpg
    Coffee is for closers.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,636 Times in 7,706 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It’s completely unrealistic and untrue to think any team has a window that lasts a QB’s entire career.
    It’s completely unrealistic and untrue to think at the Bills “window” is even close to “closing”. It’s not. Not now or in the near future.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I get what you're saying. But they gave Gabe 93 targets last year in 15 games. Diggs usually gets 160. If you give each of them 140-150 targets through 17 games, he should be happy enough.

The question is "Do you want to lead the league in catches or do you want to win?"

Diggs seems like the guy who wants to win if the playoff exits are any indication. Assuming Hopkins comes here, i'd think the same.

If both of them aren't on board with sharing the ball a little more for the sake of winning, then you're correct, it doesn't work.
    So that leaves how many for Kincaid, maybe 30? Make sense for a rookie, but it’s now what most hoped for when we spent a first rounder on a TE.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 05-28-2023 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    It’s completely unrealistic and untrue to think at the Bills “window” is even close to “closing”. It’s not. Not now or in the near future.
    Sure thing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    KC were definitely interested. They went further than the Bills did pre-draft. Reportedly the Bills and Chiefs are the only teams that got to talk to Hopkins in person before getting serious compensation discussion with the Cardinals and then contract parameters with Hopkins.

Obviously a lot has changed post draft. Personally I think Hopkins himself may have forced the issue. Think about it. The Cardinals, by their final decision, indicate that they would accept any compensation and be better than it is now. But why it didn't happen? Hopkins contract! If he is sticking to the Cards by saying no negotiation to even allow the Cards to pay part of his salary for prospective trade partner (which means Cards could get a better pick potentially), or tell any potential trade partner he's not going to renegotiate a new contract, the thing is dead. Why? He gets to choose where he goes and likely a bidding war for him to get a financial deal that betters what he has now from an overall perspective.

I have no doubt that KC and the Bills had “substantive” trade talks with the Cards. What defines “substantive” and how close either of them got to getting even close to pulling the trigger remains questionable.

There is no doubt that Hopkins contract was a huge impediment. Trading a player means trading his contract and his cap hits. Giving up anything for a trade made that prospect even more unpalatable.

KC has already shown its limited stomach for paying big bucks on a WR when they refused to meet Hill’s demands. Again, ignore the cap hit for a moment as AVG/Y is much more critical because THAT is what a team is agreeing to pay a player.

When Albert Breer (who I have a lot of respect for) says “KC made progress, but OBJ’s deal ($15M base) more or less blew that progress up” means that KC was never going to finish a deal once it became clear what the cost would be. That is assuming that even with a trade, a renegotiated contract would have to be part of the deal.

So, the fact that KC had “substantive trade talks with Arizona” is irrelevant because they hit the brick wall of what a contact was going to cost them, which is assuming it would have to be more lucrative that OBJ’s deal.

The tweet following the one you posted for Mr. Greer tells the realty of the situation....

This being a huge “maybe” is spot on.

I believe the “cost" of a Hopkins contract is MUCH greater for KC than Buffalo.

Why?

Because KC has two Super Bowl wins under their belt. The last one without a similar elite WR that cost a bundle. Why would they break the bank when they have already proved they can win a title without a true elite WR???

The answer is, they won’t.

The Bills are not in the same position. I do not know what it will take to get Hopkins under contract, but IF the Bills can win their first SB in history, the cost becomes irrelevant.

BUT, if they go all out and break the bank to sign him and STILL don’t win a SB THIS YEAR, that turns up the hot seat.

It’s going to be fascinating to see what happens. Anyone who says that know that the Bills (or another team) will sign Hopkins or not sign him is fooling themselves. NO ONE knows. Not until it’s done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure thing.
    Thanks you for agreeing with me.

What I wrote IS a “sure thing”.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So that leaves how many for Kincaid, maybe 30? Make sense for a rookie, but it’s now what most hoped for when we spent a first rounder on a TE.
    I mean... I think Kincaid's targets depend a lot on how he plays and earns more targets. Josh will throw somewhere around 600 times. If you make plays, you'll see the ball. But if he gets 60 or so as a rookie (unless he's lighting it up) that's great (Knox and McKenzie each had 65 last year)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Thanks you for agreeing with me.

What I wrote IS a “sure thing”.
    There is absolutely nothing that you write that is a sure thing. Don’t fool yourself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I mean... I think Kincaid's targets depend a lot on how he plays and earns more targets. Josh will throw somewhere around 600 times. If you make plays, you'll see the ball. But if he gets 60 or so as a rookie (unless he's lighting it up) that's great (Knox and McKenzie each had 65 last year)
    I think 30ish is pretty realistic for a #2 TE who is a rookie.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is absolutely nothing that you write that is a sure thing. Don’t fool yourself.
    Same back at you.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,469 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Window is closing, nobody cares about sustained success if you never actually win anything. I’m fine with a desperation move at this point.
    Agree....but Beane is still talking about sustained success.

I just don't believe 8 games of Hopkins at this stage of his career adds imminent success or helps down the road. This is 2023 Hopkins not 2019 Hopkins.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

I just don't believe 8 games of Hopkins at this stage of his career adds imminent success or helps down the road. This is 2023 Hopkins not 2019 Hopkins.
    Beane talks but nobody but the most committed of fans actually believe him. Most just know he's just talking to talk. Part of the job.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

Other than the PED suspension, Hopkins was healthy last year. No reason to think he’d miss games. His numbers were still good. Better than anyone we have besides Diggs. If they can afford him, he makes the team better.