Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: D Hop released

Thanks
    Thanked 4,534 Times in 2,697 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: D Hop released

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Translation: "yeah we'd take him but he's asking for way too much money now. If the demands fall he has our number."
    maybe that. I’d say they made their offer and now they wait and see if he gets a better one. Might not be that he said “no” to it, per se. I think a lot of times players take time getting multiple offers and then choose as opposed to rejecting things immediately and saying “no… I need 15”

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

" They want me to attend practice. I'm not going there.."
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

3. Post thanked by:

notacon (06-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills still listed as a favorite to sign DeAndre Hopkins

Hopkins has reportedly visited with the Patriots and Tennessee Titans to this point, two teams that seemingly can offer him more money than Super Bowl contending teams.

If Hopkins was all about the money, though, why isn't he signed by the Patriots yet? Why isn't he signed by the Titans?

It seems, to me, if Hopkins was thrilled about the idea of catching passes from Ryan Tannehill or Mac Jones, he would've signed by now.

ESPN NFL reporter Dianna Russini said back on June 23 that Hopkins is trying to get more teams interested in his services.

What this sounds like is Hopkins isn't all about the money. He really does want to play for a contender, and is just trying to squeeze every dollar out of a true contender that he can.

The original reporting on what Hopkins wanted on his next contract was along the lines of what Odell Beckham Jr. got with the Baltimore Ravens. Problem for Hopkins is, is there another contender - like Baltimore - that's desperate for a receiver?

The answer, thus far, is no.

With every day that passes, it's becoming more-and-more likely Hopkins circles back around the Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs of the world.

Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters after signing pass rusher Leonard Floyd that any other additions would have to play for cheap, but he did not completely close the door.

The scenario I am presenting is one where Hopkins does decide to play for cheap. He arrives at a place where he'd rather try to win a Super Bowl, making $4 million, than get yelled at by Patriots head coach Bill Belichick for $10 million.

The likelihood Hopkins makes that decision is why you see the Bills still listed as one of the betting favorites to land his services.
    https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports...eandre-hopkins

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He'd be the final piece of the puzzle. Make it happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,713 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    He'd be the final piece of the puzzle. Make it happen.
    Of he could be the piece that blows up in their faces and and makes the Diggs situation become untenable and divides the locker room.

No one knows.

Hopkins could probably sign with the Bills today if winning is more important than more and more millions.

According to Spotrac Hopkins has $111,577,890 in carer earning (just from his NFL career)...with who knows how many more millions with his sponsor deals with Burberry, OARS + ALPS (Men’s Skincare), Therabody, Biosteel, Bridgestone Tires, Super Coffee, Buzzer, Josh Elliot, Olipop, Whatnot Community Marketplace (app) and Verizon.

But no Super Bowl rings.

Which would supercharge his endorsement deals. Take a little less today for a BIG payoff later???

Hopkins could be the final piece of the puzzle....and I would be ecstatic if that happened and the Bills win a Super Bowl with hm.

But, I have no doubt that the team THIS YEAR is just as capable to win that elusive prize without him.
    Last edited by notacon; 07-04-2023 at 12:27 PM.

7. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (07-05-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Of he could be the piece that blows up in their faces and and makes the Diggs situation become untenable and divides the locker room.

No one knows.

Hopkins could probably sign with the Bills today if winning is more important than more and more millions.

According to Spotrac Hopkins has $111,577,890 in carer earning (just from his NFL career)...with who knows how many more millions with his sponsor deals with Burberry, OARS + ALPS (Men’s Skincare), Therabody, Biosteel, Bridgestone Tires, Super Coffee, Buzzer, Josh Elliot, Olipop, Whatnot Community Marketplace (app) and Verizon.

But no Super Bowl rings.

Which would supercharge his endorsement deals. Take a little less today for a BIG payoff later???

Hopkins could be the final piece of the puzzle....and I would be ecstatic if that happened and the Bills win a Super Bowl with hm.

But, I have no doubt that the team THIS YEAR is just as capable to win that elusive prize without him.
    Diggs wants to win. He's getting up there and knows his time is limited.

As for DHop, if he wanted money, he would have signed with the Cheats already.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Diggs wants to win. He's getting up there and knows his time is limited.

As for DHop, if he wanted money, he would have signed with the Cheats already.
    Maybe, maybe not. They could have low-balled him. All we do know is reporting that said that Hopkins is looking for the same kind of deal that OBJ got...$15M.

We’ll know when he does sign with someone.

If the Bills really wanted him, they would have signed him already.

As for Diggs, yes, he wants to win. But, by every indication, his frustration from late last year was not being targeting or relied on enough. One diva in the WR is enough to handle...two diva’s inevitably produces cat fights.

Maybe he signs with the Bills and he and Diggs are best buddies. No one knows????

10. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe, maybe not. They could have low-balled him. All we do know is reporting that said that Hopkins is looking for the same kind of deal that OBJ got...$15M.

We’ll know when he does sign with someone.

If the Bills really wanted him, they would have signed him already.

As for Diggs, yes, he wants to win. But, by every indication, his frustration from late last year was not being targeting or relied on enough. One diva in the WR is enough to handle...two diva’s inevitably produces cat fights.

Maybe he signs with the Bills and he and Diggs are best buddies. No one knows????
    There's no way they low-balled him. They have nothing else to offer him except money. They have no chance at the SB, much less winning it, so they have to do what they've had to do since Brady left and overpay for players. It's glorious to see!

And the Bills want him. They just have a cap problem and will have to restructure and move money down the road to get him at what he wants.

And one of the theories for why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop. But again I think he's more worried about winning than stats at this point.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

D-Hop has spent his entire career being a superstar on terrible teams. Tennessee and NE are not legit contenders. The advanced metrics people say he's declining. He has 2 choices. Take one last "best" paycheck or go for the title with a good QB.

Buffalo and KC are the only 2 that make sense for him. But apparently they don't have the $ he wants. I think the delay is him hoping a better combination of money/winning comes along. Beane already said they don't have much room to work with, so I'd be surprised if he ends up in Buffalo. That said, I'd love to see it. Even if he's lost a step, his size and catch radius is still elite and as an endzone/3rd down threat he'd be very useful
    Last edited by Canadian'eh!; 07-04-2023 at 03:40 PM.

14. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    D-Hop has spent his entire career being a superstar on terrible teams. Tennessee and NE are not legit contenders. The advanced metrics people say he's declining. He has 2 choices. Take one last "best" paycheck or go for the title with a good QB.

Buffalo and KC are the only 2 that make sense for him. But apparently they don't have the $ he wants. I think the delay is him hoping a better combination of money/winning comes along. Beane already said they don't have much room to work with, so I'd be surprised if he ends up in Buffalo. That said, I'd love to see it. Even if he's lost a step, his size and catch radius is still elite and as an endzone/3rd down threat he'd be very useful
    Yep. From the beginning it's been him wanting his cake and to eat it too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by swiper View Post
    Yep. From the beginning it's been him wanting his cake and to eat it too.
    I mean. It’s a business. If he signed for the max money we’d all ***** he doesn’t care about winning. Nothing wrong with trying to do both.

17. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (07-05-2023),The last buffalo fan (07-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How long will this drag out ?? Training camps for all teams need to start ?? It's like he's been mentioned for just about every playoff team (except NE), the Ravens had a hot run with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    How long will this drag out ?? Training camps for all teams need to start ?? It's like he's been mentioned for just about every playoff team (except NE), the Ravens had a hot run with him.
    I would imagine he'll sign between camp starting and the middle of the preseason. A lot of vets don't want to deal with training camp in the heat and with his experience you're not worried about him not being able to learn the playbook or mesh with his QB. They could also be waiting to see if a big time WR goes down in camp or in the preseason which would open up an opportunity for him to get the money he may be looking for.

I think Hopkins makes sense for the Bills and bumps Davis is a better fit position as the #3 WR. He also does more of the dirty work on routes that frees up Diggs for bigger plays and allows us to bring allow Kincaid at a slower rate which is also ideal. Hopkins work ethic is reportedly top notch so he'll be a positive in the locker room as well, I would assume.

I don't know how much of a problem it would be for the Bills to find the money for the current. Hopkins wants the same 1 year $15 million deal that Beckham got in Baltimore. Per Sportrac that was a $13.8 million signing bonus spread out over 5 years, so his 2023 cap number is only $3.9 million. The issue is that Beckham's cap number for 2024 is $11.1 million due to the prorated signing bonus. The Bills currently have $5.5 million in space for this year, but are projected to be at -$25.4 million for next year so it's tough jam Beane finds himself in.

There is some cap savings you could find this year if you feel like a player like Siran Neal ($2.3 million), AJ Epenesa ($1.3 Million), and/or Boogie Basham ($725K) can't make the roster. That's potentially another $4.35M there in cap savings which could allow you to front load a potential Hopkins deal.

The current depth chart would indicate the Bills probably have enough depth that they are already looking at tough cuts at those positions. I know they like Neal on ST, but he may be too expensive for those role and he's currently only listed as the backup NB on Ourlads. Epenesa and Basham are both currently third string DE's with others behind them who are cheaper in Shane Ray, Kameron Cline, and Jonathan Kingsley.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

20. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Listen to Josh's interview at TEU; you get a sense it maybe a problem for Diggs. The question is popped, specifically how Diggs will react. Josh's answer is "you have to check with him (Diggs)," no follow-up buts, like but he'd welcome another weapon etc. etc.

22. Post thanked by:

notacon (07-05-2023),The last buffalo fan (07-05-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I would imagine he'll sign between camp starting and the middle of the preseason. A lot of vets don't want to deal with training camp in the heat and with his experience you're not worried about him not being able to learn the playbook or mesh with his QB. They could also be waiting to see if a big time WR goes down in camp or in the preseason which would open up an opportunity for him to get the money he may be looking for.

I think Hopkins makes sense for the Bills and bumps Davis is a better fit position as the #3 WR. He also does more of the dirty work on routes that frees up Diggs for bigger plays and allows us to bring allow Kincaid at a slower rate which is also ideal. Hopkins work ethic is reportedly top notch so he'll be a positive in the locker room as well, I would assume.

I don't know how much of a problem it would be for the Bills to find the money for the current. Hopkins wants the same 1 year $15 million deal that Beckham got in Baltimore. Per Sportrac that was a $13.8 million signing bonus spread out over 5 years, so his 2023 cap number is only $3.9 million. The issue is that Beckham's cap number for 2024 is $11.1 million due to the prorated signing bonus. The Bills currently have $5.5 million in space for this year, but are projected to be at -$25.4 million for next year so it's tough jam Beane finds himself in.

There is some cap savings you could find this year if you feel like a player like Siran Neal ($2.3 million), AJ Epenesa ($1.3 Million), and/or Boogie Basham ($725K) can't make the roster. That's potentially another $4.35M there in cap savings which could allow you to front load a potential Hopkins deal.

The current depth chart would indicate the Bills probably have enough depth that they are already looking at tough cuts at those positions. I know they like Neal on ST, but he may be too expensive for those role and he's currently only listed as the backup NB on Ourlads. Epenesa and Basham are both currently third string DE's with others behind them who are cheaper in Shane Ray, Kameron Cline, and Jonathan Kingsley.
    A veteran WR who waits to sign with their old team to skip a bunch of off-season program is one thing, but I’d really prefer a guy who is about to learn a new system get as much time as possible before the season gets too close.

I suspect it’s more the latter point of “let’s see what happens as things draw closer”

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I believe its best left alone, how many times do teams sign ex super stars in there down year and they go on and win SB? I'm not talking QB just positional players...

also if winning is the 1st thing on his list he would have already signed with the Bills or Chiefs... nope this guy is all about the money....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This guy is a lazy bum that wears out his welcome wherever he goes. We don't need him

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There's no way they low-balled him. They have nothing else to offer him except money. They have no chance at the SB, much less winning it, so they have to do what they've had to do since Brady left and overpay for players. It's glorious to see!

And the Bills want him. They just have a cap problem and will have to restructure and move money down the road to get him at what he wants.

And one of the theories for why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop. But again I think he's more worried about winning than stats at this point.
    You have NO WAY to know that. Prove it if you do.

Of course they could have “low balled” him. If they offered him $10-$12M Hopkins could have easily seen that as “low balling”.

The fact remains that if the Bills really wanted him, they would have signed him already.

I suspect that they have the same doubts as I expressed. Obviously, we’ll see eventually.

Just like we saw with OBJ.

Once again you are speculating some “theories” that come from other ignorant (as in they have no idea and are guessing) that "why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop” this I suspect is not even close to being true.

I agree that Diggs is more worried about winning, but I never said that he was worried about “stats”. He is worried that he is not being used as much as he thinks he should be.

His dismally bad performance in the Cincy game continued with similar underwhelming performances in the last three Bills playoff losses....

Targets Rec Catch % Yards Avg Long TD
    2022 Cincy 10 4 40.00% 35 8.8 16 0
    2021 KC OT 6 3 50.00% 7 2.3 5 0
    2020 KC 11 6 54.55% 77 12.8 34 0
    Total 27 13 48.15% 119 9.2 34 0

Something is wrong. Diggs may be “more worried about winning” but he certainly does not look like what a superstar WR should look like in those three losses.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As of right now, Josh Allen is not proven, and Diggs is not proven, in the playoffs. We all know the intensity raised up to another level in the playoffs. It makes sense that for a guy like Diggs, who is already super intensive in regular season games (Allen said if we do good, he's hyped up trying to get other people hyped up; if we do bad, he's rallying others up), not sure he can take the game to another level himself.

Allen's job in the playoff should not look for Diggs, rather, whoever is open which is more difficult for Diggs because opponents will key on Diggs more. At the moment, it looks like Allen (4-4) is on the path of guys like Peyton Manning (14-13), Kelly (9-8), Brett Favre (12-10), in line for one super bowl win one of those years. Mahomes is at a ridiculous pace of 11-3, like Bradshaw (14-5). Some QB comparable to Allen's game: Elway is 14-8, Roethlisberger 13 -10. I still doubt even Mahomes can reach the level of the GOAT: 35-13.

28. Post thanked by:

notacon (07-06-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You have NO WAY to know that. Prove it if you do.

Of course they could have “low balled” him. If they offered him $10-$12M Hopkins could have easily seen that as “low balling”.

The fact remains that if the Bills really wanted him, they would have signed him already.

I suspect that they have the same doubts as I expressed. Obviously, we’ll see eventually.

Just like we saw with OBJ.

Once again you are speculating some “theories” that come from other ignorant (as in they have no idea and are guessing) that "why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop” this I suspect is not even close to being true.

I agree that Diggs is more worried about winning, but I never said that he was worried about “stats”. He is worried that he is not being used as much as he thinks he should be.

His dismally bad performance in the Cincy game continued with similar underwhelming performances in the last three Bills playoff losses....

Targets Rec Catch % Yards Avg Long TD
    2022 Cincy 10 4 40.00% 35 8.8 16 0
    2021 KC OT 6 3 50.00% 7 2.3 5 0
    2020 KC 11 6 54.55% 77 12.8 34 0
    Total 27 13 48.15% 119 9.2 34 0

Something is wrong. Diggs may be “more worried about winning” but he certainly does not look like what a superstar WR should look like in those three losses.
    I don't know what they offered. Again given their cap space and need to add as much talent around Mac Jones as they can, I seriously doubt they didn't make a substantial offer to him. At least substantially more than other teams were able to offer.

30. Post thanked by:

notacon (07-06-2023)