• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Re: D Hop released

Originally posted by swiper View Post
    Yep. From the beginning it's been him wanting his cake and to eat it too.
    I mean. It’s a business. If he signed for the max money we’d all ***** he doesn’t care about winning. Nothing wrong with trying to do both.

Comment

• Skooby
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

How long will this drag out ?? Training camps for all teams need to start ?? It's like he's been mentioned for just about every playoff team (except NE), the Ravens had a hot run with him.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby View Post
        How long will this drag out ?? Training camps for all teams need to start ?? It's like he's been mentioned for just about every playoff team (except NE), the Ravens had a hot run with him.
        I would imagine he'll sign between camp starting and the middle of the preseason. A lot of vets don't want to deal with training camp in the heat and with his experience you're not worried about him not being able to learn the playbook or mesh with his QB. They could also be waiting to see if a big time WR goes down in camp or in the preseason which would open up an opportunity for him to get the money he may be looking for.

I think Hopkins makes sense for the Bills and bumps Davis is a better fit position as the #3 WR. He also does more of the dirty work on routes that frees up Diggs for bigger plays and allows us to bring allow Kincaid at a slower rate which is also ideal. Hopkins work ethic is reportedly top notch so he'll be a positive in the locker room as well, I would assume.

I don't know how much of a problem it would be for the Bills to find the money for the current. Hopkins wants the same 1 year $15 million deal that Beckham got in Baltimore. Per Sportrac that was a $13.8 million signing bonus spread out over 5 years, so his 2023 cap number is only $3.9 million. The issue is that Beckham's cap number for 2024 is $11.1 million due to the prorated signing bonus. The Bills currently have $5.5 million in space for this year, but are projected to be at -$25.4 million for next year so it's tough jam Beane finds himself in.

There is some cap savings you could find this year if you feel like a player like Siran Neal ($2.3 million), AJ Epenesa ($1.3 Million), and/or Boogie Basham ($725K) can't make the roster. That's potentially another $4.35M there in cap savings which could allow you to front load a potential Hopkins deal.

The current depth chart would indicate the Bills probably have enough depth that they are already looking at tough cuts at those positions. I know they like Neal on ST, but he may be too expensive for those role and he's currently only listed as the backup NB on Ourlads. Epenesa and Basham are both currently third string DE's with others behind them who are cheaper in Shane Ray, Kameron Cline, and Jonathan Kingsley.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

Listen to Josh's interview at TEU; you get a sense it maybe a problem for Diggs. The question is popped, specifically how Diggs will react. Josh's answer is "you have to check with him (Diggs)," no follow-up buts, like but he'd welcome another weapon etc. etc.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            I would imagine he'll sign between camp starting and the middle of the preseason. A lot of vets don't want to deal with training camp in the heat and with his experience you're not worried about him not being able to learn the playbook or mesh with his QB. They could also be waiting to see if a big time WR goes down in camp or in the preseason which would open up an opportunity for him to get the money he may be looking for.

I think Hopkins makes sense for the Bills and bumps Davis is a better fit position as the #3 WR. He also does more of the dirty work on routes that frees up Diggs for bigger plays and allows us to bring allow Kincaid at a slower rate which is also ideal. Hopkins work ethic is reportedly top notch so he'll be a positive in the locker room as well, I would assume.

I don't know how much of a problem it would be for the Bills to find the money for the current. Hopkins wants the same 1 year $15 million deal that Beckham got in Baltimore. Per Sportrac that was a $13.8 million signing bonus spread out over 5 years, so his 2023 cap number is only $3.9 million. The issue is that Beckham's cap number for 2024 is $11.1 million due to the prorated signing bonus. The Bills currently have $5.5 million in space for this year, but are projected to be at -$25.4 million for next year so it's tough jam Beane finds himself in.

There is some cap savings you could find this year if you feel like a player like Siran Neal ($2.3 million), AJ Epenesa ($1.3 Million), and/or Boogie Basham ($725K) can't make the roster. That's potentially another $4.35M there in cap savings which could allow you to front load a potential Hopkins deal.

The current depth chart would indicate the Bills probably have enough depth that they are already looking at tough cuts at those positions. I know they like Neal on ST, but he may be too expensive for those role and he's currently only listed as the backup NB on Ourlads. Epenesa and Basham are both currently third string DE's with others behind them who are cheaper in Shane Ray, Kameron Cline, and Jonathan Kingsley.
            A veteran WR who waits to sign with their old team to skip a bunch of off-season program is one thing, but I’d really prefer a guy who is about to learn a new system get as much time as possible before the season gets too close.

I suspect it’s more the latter point of “let’s see what happens as things draw closer”

Comment

• cas22
              • Jul 2005

I believe its best left alone, how many times do teams sign ex super stars in there down year and they go on and win SB? I'm not talking QB just positional players...

also if winning is the 1st thing on his list he would have already signed with the Bills or Chiefs... nope this guy is all about the money....

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

This guy is a lazy bum that wears out his welcome wherever he goes. We don't need him

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                  There's no way they low-balled him. They have nothing else to offer him except money. They have no chance at the SB, much less winning it, so they have to do what they've had to do since Brady left and overpay for players. It's glorious to see!

And the Bills want him. They just have a cap problem and will have to restructure and move money down the road to get him at what he wants.

And one of the theories for why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop. But again I think he's more worried about winning than stats at this point.
                  You have NO WAY to know that. Prove it if you do.

Of course they could have “low balled” him. If they offered him $10-$12M Hopkins could have easily seen that as “low balling”.

The fact remains that if the Bills really wanted him, they would have signed him already.

I suspect that they have the same doubts as I expressed. Obviously, we’ll see eventually.

Just like we saw with OBJ.

Once again you are speculating some “theories” that come from other ignorant (as in they have no idea and are guessing) that "why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop” this I suspect is not even close to being true.

I agree that Diggs is more worried about winning, but I never said that he was worried about “stats”. He is worried that he is not being used as much as he thinks he should be.

His dismally bad performance in the Cincy game continued with similar underwhelming performances in the last three Bills playoff losses....

Targets Rec Catch % Yards Avg Long TD
                  2022 Cincy 10 4 40.00% 35 8.8 16 0
                  2021 KC OT 6 3 50.00% 7 2.3 5 0
                  2020 KC 11 6 54.55% 77 12.8 34 0
                  Total 27 13 48.15% 119 9.2 34 0
                  Something is wrong. Diggs may be “more worried about winning” but he certainly does not look like what a superstar WR should look like in those three losses.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

As of right now, Josh Allen is not proven, and Diggs is not proven, in the playoffs. We all know the intensity raised up to another level in the playoffs. It makes sense that for a guy like Diggs, who is already super intensive in regular season games (Allen said if we do good, he's hyped up trying to get other people hyped up; if we do bad, he's rallying others up), not sure he can take the game to another level himself.

Allen's job in the playoff should not look for Diggs, rather, whoever is open which is more difficult for Diggs because opponents will key on Diggs more. At the moment, it looks like Allen (4-4) is on the path of guys like Peyton Manning (14-13), Kelly (9-8), Brett Favre (12-10), in line for one super bowl win one of those years. Mahomes is at a ridiculous pace of 11-3, like Bradshaw (14-5). Some QB comparable to Allen's game: Elway is 14-8, Roethlisberger 13 -10. I still doubt even Mahomes can reach the level of the GOAT: 35-13.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                      You have NO WAY to know that. Prove it if you do.

Of course they could have “low balled” him. If they offered him $10-$12M Hopkins could have easily seen that as “low balling”.

The fact remains that if the Bills really wanted him, they would have signed him already.

I suspect that they have the same doubts as I expressed. Obviously, we’ll see eventually.

Just like we saw with OBJ.

Once again you are speculating some “theories” that come from other ignorant (as in they have no idea and are guessing) that "why Diggs got pissed was that he restructured and was told they weren't using it to go after DHop” this I suspect is not even close to being true.

I agree that Diggs is more worried about winning, but I never said that he was worried about “stats”. He is worried that he is not being used as much as he thinks he should be.

His dismally bad performance in the Cincy game continued with similar underwhelming performances in the last three Bills playoff losses....

Targets Rec Catch % Yards Avg Long TD
                      2022 Cincy 10 4 40.00% 35 8.8 16 0
                      2021 KC OT 6 3 50.00% 7 2.3 5 0
                      2020 KC 11 6 54.55% 77 12.8 34 0
                      Total 27 13 48.15% 119 9.2 34 0
                      Something is wrong. Diggs may be “more worried about winning” but he certainly does not look like what a superstar WR should look like in those three losses.
                      I don't know what they offered. Again given their cap space and need to add as much talent around Mac Jones as they can, I seriously doubt they didn't make a substantial offer to him. At least substantially more than other teams were able to offer.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                        • Sep 2004

I don't know what they offered. Again given their cap space and need to add as much talent around Mac Jones as they can, I seriously doubt they didn't make a substantial offer to him. At least substantially more than other teams were able to offer.
                        No one knows. But we do know it wasn't enough to sign him. He was looking for OBJ + money. Did NE offer him that? Based on BB's track record I'd say no.

Comment

• Goobylal
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                          No one knows. But we do know it wasn't enough to sign him. He was looking for OBJ + money. Did NE offer him that? Based on BB's track record I'd say no.
                          Probably not, but again I'm sure it was a lot more than contending teams were offering. They are no longer the place where free agents will take less to play. Thankfully.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

You know, there is someone who is still out there and could come for a fraction of the price. A one year prove it deal for Kenny Golladay could be low risk high reward venture for the bills. Yeah, he didn't work out with the Giants, but he was a very good receiver for the lions. I think it would be a good signing.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                              You know, there is someone who is still out there and could come for a fraction of the price. A one year prove it deal for Kenny Golladay could be low risk high reward venture for the bills. Yeah, he didn't work out with the Giants, but he was a very good receiver for the lions. I think it would be a good signing.
                              I've heard reports that he's checked-out after getting the big money deal.

Comment

• Woodman
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Apr 2014

If they ever made an offer.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                                X