Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: D Hop released

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: D Hop released

Defense head coach calling defensive plays, what can go wrong ?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,485 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Based on?
    So if nothing matters except a title with 32 teams you should average a Super Bowl win every 32 years. Some teams have done better than that, others worse. But logically as a fan of any team if the only reason to watch the games is the trophy that's a lot of time wasted for nothing.

I think Bills fans perhaps more than just about any other fan base wants to win a title very badly. Granted. But we also watch the games to be entertained. They're GAMES. So based on THAT also. If you haven't enjoyed the last several years more than the fallow wasteland that preceded it you're not really a fan of the game or you're not being honest or both.

3. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Doesn’t matter if they don’t win the whole thing. Unless you take some enjoyment out of participating, simply getting to the playoffs doesn’t mean anything.
    You drone on in many threads about only one winner in any sport and every other team is a loser. Awesome.

Your sports fan life must be extremely frustrating, unless you freeley jump on front running bandwagons to mend the wounds.

I get what my sports team are. I have zero control over it and keep it in perspective without thin skin. Life is good and goes on.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

5. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Based on?
    It was already explained to you.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    You drone on in many threads about only one winner in any sport and every other team is a loser. Awesome.

Your sports fan life must be extremely frustrating, unless you freeley jump on front running bandwagons to mend the wounds.

I get what my sports team are. I have zero control over it and keep it in perspective without thin skin. Life is good and goes on.
    This. I would much rather watch a team that wins most of the weeks I watch, and if they lose in the playoffs, oh well. AT least I was entertained for the entire winter, and not miserable every week watching a turd show

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-30-2023),Saratoga Slim (06-01-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Once Josh Allen is gone it’ll be damn near impossible to approach Bills games with that unbridled passion and excitement again. It took us almost 30 years to find our next franchise QB, and knowing the main demographic of this board they don’t have another 20, much less 30 years left to win a Lombardi.

The Bills need to win now… “aww shucks at least we were competitive” is a loser mentality adopted by battered fans who have been conditioned to accept less than the ultimate goal. If you can’t get it done with Allen then it’ll never happen.

If this was 2017 with that roster then aww shucks would be appropriate.
    Last edited by Chet; 05-30-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    a loser mentality adopted by battered fans
    Yes, we are all "battered". WTF ?

11. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Albert Breer's article on Hopkins:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/05/30/in...s-bills-chiefs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And if you add all that up, I think we get one of two conclusions. Either Hopkins finds someone to pay up and takes the bag. Or, he takes less to chase a ring with Kansas City or Buffalo, with the idea that putting together a full, healthy 2023 could burnish his legacy and perhaps set up one last payday next March.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What we know is by the end in Houston, Hopkins was banged up enough to where he barely practiced at all during the season—and that was three and a half years ago, and before he started missing time due to injury. While over his first eight NFL seasons, he played in 126 of 128 games (plus six of six playoff games), he’s missed 15 of 34 games (six due to a PED suspension) the past two years.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    This. I would much rather watch a team that wins most of the weeks I watch, and if they lose in the playoffs, oh well. AT least I was entertained for the entire winter, and not miserable every week watching a turd show
    This. I get what DB is saying about ultimate conclusion but if you don't get it...more happy weeks are simply better than more not happy weeks from watching a sports team you've loved your whole life.

Winning is more fun than losing week to week.

90's Bills never won an sb...but they gave me so much happy tearing teams up.
    Last edited by Mace; 05-30-2023 at 05:34 PM.

14. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-31-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post

Why would it be frustrating? It’s a game, not real life.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    So if nothing matters except a title with 32 teams you should average a Super Bowl win every 32 years. Some teams have done better than that, others worse. But logically as a fan of any team if the only reason to watch the games is the trophy that's a lot of time wasted for nothing.

I think Bills fans perhaps more than just about any other fan base wants to win a title very badly. Granted. But we also watch the games to be entertained. They're GAMES. So based on THAT also. If you haven't enjoyed the last several years more than the fallow wasteland that preceded it you're not really a fan of the game or you're not being honest or both.
    Can’t disagree about the wasted time. That’s why I rarely if ever just watch the game by itself. It’s just entertainment, nothing more or less. The goal is to win it all, if you don’t that sucks but life goes on as soon as the clock hits zero.

It’s always more entertaining when they are winning, but that doesn’t change the goal. My feelings or entertainment level have nothing to do with what the expectation should be for every team. That’s their job.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,693 Times in 7,754 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nobody cares unless it ends with a Lombardi. I have zero issue being a fan whose expectation is to win a title, that is the goal after all.
    “Nobody care”?!?!? Really...”NOBODY”?!?!? were you alive during the years long drought??? Or h=did you spend all that time with your head up your butt???

Bullcrap. Total bullcrap.

Like I said earlier, your obtuse and ridiculous standard shows what kind of fan you are.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,149 Times in 5,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fandom is not apathy of outcome. Growing numb to disappointment is great and all but really wanting nothing else but high success is not something you can call “false fandom”.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    Testify DB, Testify!

Some fans are so battered from the drought that they’re content to squabble for playoff scraps
    Another silly take. Getting to the NFL playoffs is NOT “scraps”. Ask the TWENTY FIVE teams TODAY that have not been to the playoffs twice in a row recently.

Or the (usual) five or more team that made the playoffs last year but will miss it this season. Or the seven teams that made the playoffs in 2021 but missed them in 2022. Or the five teams that made the playoffs win 2020 but missed them in 2021.

I wonder (not really....I know the answer) the whiners that want to **** on the Bills achievements hold themselves up to the same standard in their lives and work???

I suspect that they would wither and crawl into the corner in the fetal position if they were watched so closely and judged on their performance at work even 1% as much as NFL teams and players are.

So-called “fans at are only “content” if their team wins a Super Bowl are morons that I suspect enjoy being miserable...no....they LOOK for ways to be miserable,

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Doesn’t matter if they don’t win the whole thing. Unless you take some enjoyment out of participating, simply getting to the playoffs doesn’t mean anything.
    BULL****!!!!!! TOTAL BULL****!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,149 Times in 5,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    BULL****!!!!!! TOTAL BULL****!!!!!
    I don’t want to squeak into the playoffs “with help” year after year. That would blow and in saying so doesn’t make me less a fan than the guy, say in Vegas, walking around with a Bills Wildcard Tshirt.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I don’t want to squeak into the playoffs “with help” year after year. That would blow and in saying so doesn’t make me less a fan than the guy, say in Vegas, walking around with a Bills Wildcard Tshirt.
    Huh?!?!? NO team "squeak into the playoffs “with help” year after year”. And the Bills have not done that.

The FACT (yeah...facts are pesky things), only TWO TEAMS are on a 4+ year playoff consecutive streak. KC & Bills.

Only THREE teams are currently on a 3+ year playoff consecutive streak. Only SEVEN teams are currently on a 2+ year playoff consecutive streak.

And not ANY of those seven teams "squeak into the playoffs “with help”” in either of those years, much less “year after year”

More facts....in the 56 year history of the Super Bowl era NFL, there are SEVEN TEAMS that have never been in the playoffs 4+ consecutive years.

Only TWELVE teams (in 56 years) have ever been in the playoffs 6+ consecutive years. The Buffalo Bills are one of those teams.

That achievement has been done 18 separate times, with only FOUR teams doing it more than once....

Dallas - 3 times:
    -9 years in a row 1975-1983
    -8 years in a row 1966-1973
    -6 years in a row 1991-1996

Kansas City - twice:
    -8 years in a row 2015-2022
    -6 years in a row 1990-1995

Pittsburgh - twice:
    -8 years in a row 1972-1979
    -6 years in a row 1992-1997

Green Bay - twice:
    -8 years in a row 2009-2016
    -6 years in a row 1993-1998

Only EIGHT TEAMS have done it ONCE. Bills included.
    Those 18 times that it was done, a majority of the time with either a HOF QB or a future HOF QB (once he become eligible)...

Peyton Manning
    Roger Staubach
    Joe Montana
    Terry Bradshaw
    Steve Young
    Warren Moon
    Fran Tarkenton
    Troy Aikman
    Brett Farve
    Jim Kelly

Almost assuredly Future HOF’ers:

Tom Brady
    Aaron Rodgers
    Patrick Mahomes

Other great QB’s that were instrumental in achieving the very rare 6+ consecutive years making the playoffs:

Joh Hadl
    Danny White
    Don Merideth
    Craig Morton
    Daryle Lamonica
    Ken Stabler

Funny you should being up Vegas. Being in Vegas finally has me being able to care about playoff hockey. The Vegas Golden Knights have not only made the Stanley Cup Finals two years in their first six in existence, they have made the playoffs all but one of those years.

Tell the long suffering Buffalo Sabre fan (I gave up on them years ago...although lost most interest in hockey years ago) that are in a TWELVE YEAR playoff drought that making the playoffs (don’t forget that making the NHL playoffs is exponentially easier than doing the same in the NFL) is nothing more than the equivalent of "a participation trophy” or that "Nobody cares unless it ends with a” Stanley Cup....or getting in the playoffs is “scraps” or "simply getting to the playoffs doesn’t mean anything”.

To sum up....the FACTS show that getting to the playoffs in the NFL is NOT like a participation trophy and NOT scraps, and DOES mean something....especially if done several times in a row.

Getting into the playoffs even just 4 consecutive years is pretty RARE and should be celebrated, not CRAPPED ON!!!!

Last edited by notacon; 05-31-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Huh?!?!? NO team "squeak into the playoffs “with help” year after year”. And the Bills have not done that.

The FACT (yeah...facts are pesky things), only TWO TEAMS are on a 4+ year playoff consecutive streak. KC & Bills.

Only THREE teams are currently on a 3+ year playoff consecutive streak. Only SEVEN teams are currently on a 2+ year playoff consecutive streak.

And not ANY of those seven teams "squeak into the playoffs “with help”” in either of those years, much less “year after year”

More facts....in the 56 year history of the Super Bowl era NFL, there are SEVEN TEAMS that have never been in the playoffs 4+ consecutive years.

Only TWELVE teams (in 56 years) have ever been in the playoffs 6+ consecutive years. The Buffalo Bills are one of those teams.

That achievement has been done 18 separate times, with only FOUR teams doing it more than once....

Dallas - 3 times:
    -9 years in a row 1975-1983
    -8 years in a row 1966-1973
    -6 years in a row 1991-1996

Kansas City - twice:
    -8 years in a row 2015-2022
    -6 years in a row 1990-1995

Pittsburgh - twice:
    -8 years in a row 1972-1979
    -6 years in a row 1992-1997

Green Bay - twice:
    -8 years in a row 2009-2016
    -6 years in a row 1993-1998

Only EIGHT TEAMS have done it ONCE. Bills included.
    Those 18 times that it was done, a majority of the time with either a HOF QB or a future HOF QB (once he become eligible)...

Peyton Manning
    Roger Staubach
    Joe Montana
    Terry Bradshaw
    Steve Young
    Warren Moon
    Fran Tarkenton
    Troy Aikman
    Brett Farve
    Jim Kelly

Almost assuredly Future HOF’ers:

Tom Brady
    Aaron Rodgers
    Patrick Mahomes

Other great QB’s that were instrumental in achieving the very rare 6+ consecutive years making the playoffs:

Joh Hadl
    Danny White
    Don Merideth
    Craig Morton
    Daryle Lamonica
    Ken Stabler

Funny you should being up Vegas. Being in Vegas finally has me being able to care about playoff hockey. The Vegas Golden Knights have not only made the Stanley Cup Finals two years in their first six in existence, they have made the playoffs all but one of those years.

Tell the long suffering Buffalo Sabre fan (I gave up on them years ago...although lost most interest in hockey years ago) that are in a TWELVE YEAR playoff drought that making the playoffs (don’t forget that making the NHL playoffs is exponentially easier than doing the same in the NFL) is nothing more than the equivalent of "a participation trophy” or that "Nobody cares unless it ends with a” Stanley Cup....or getting in the playoffs is “scraps” or "simply getting to the playoffs doesn’t mean anything”.

To sum up....the FACTS show that getting to the playoffs in the NFL is NOT like a participation trophy and NOT scraps, and DOES mean something....especially if done several times in a row.

Getting into the playoffs even just 4 consecutive years is pretty RARE and should be celebrated, not CRAPPED ON!!!!

You still want to get to the playoffs to accomplish a higher goal. You don't prepare to make the playoffs you are preparing for the higher goal. In the Sabres case it is a big deal because the players need playoff experience and it is a step towards the higher goal. In the Bills case it is just more of the same clearly starting to struggle to get over the hump and be better than all comers on game day consistently.

There are a lot of good signs and bad signs. Take them for what you want ... but don't deny some exist and others don't.

24. Post thanked by:

notacon (06-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You can throw out the entire season from hell in what you are looking at and the team still looks ill prepared at times with zero built in to rebound.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 6,121 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
    Defense head coach calling defensive plays, what can go wrong ?
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

27. Post thanked by:

Skooby (05-31-2023)