Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: D Hop released

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

D Hop released

Per Twitter just now

2. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-27-2023),YardRat (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: D Hop released

With that nasty contract out of the way, let's make this happen.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

4. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-27-2023)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Might still want a nasty contract. We'll see.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

According to Hopkins interview, he said he would like to play with Allen, Hurts, Mahomes, Jackson, Herbert. Of those, which team does not have an established #1 receiver? Chiefs and Ravens.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Come to buffalo

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    According to Hopkins interview, he said he would like to play with Allen, Hurts, Mahomes, Jackson, Herbert. Of those, which team does not have an established #1 receiver? Chiefs and Ravens.
    I could be wrong but I believe the Ravens have more cap space than the Chiefs.
    Last edited by JoeMama; 05-26-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I felt that this was going to happen, but expected it to be a Post-June 1 cut. Cardinals just ate up a huge cap hit for this year, but seemingly had no choice.

If Beane can fit the contract in the books, IMO Hopkins is a MUST sign. We aren't any closer to the Super Bowl than we were last year, and IMO the Chiefs and Bengals are still a notch above Buffalo at this point. We have a WR1 in Diggs, and a bunch of WR3s who don't strike much fear into our opponents.

I don't care that Mahomes doesn't have a WR1. He's proven (so far) to be a better QB than Allen, he has a better offensive line, and a much better offensive mind in Andy Reid. Mahomes also has a hall of fame TE in Travis Kelce, who will go down in history as the one of the top 5 TEs to ever play.

Meanwhile, Joe Burrow has two WRs that would be "WR1s" on most other teams.

DHopkins coming to Buffalo would change the dynamic of this offense and put us in serious Super Bowl contention. Beane will have to mortgage the future a bit to do it, but it is worth it.

10. Post thanked by:

Chet (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hopkins is 30, and in recent years, is injury prone. The other factor is whether a team has already paid their #1 receiver, because it is not realistic to have a $45 million QB and 2 $25 million receivers on the same team for any lengthy period of time.

When the Bills signed Deonte Harty, McKenzie said himself he was livid right away. Imagine now with Diggs. The only way I see it happen for the Bills is that everyone, including Hopkins, realizes that he's no longer the lead dog in the WR room and he is willing to take a back seat on a prove-it deal.

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-26-2023),notacon (05-27-2023),swiper (05-27-2023),YardRat (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,181 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ravens signed OBJ.

14. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-27-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Letting Hopkins sign with KC (or Baltimore) would be a huge mistake. Mahomes with Hopkins and Kelce? Might as well run the tape on the 2007 Patriots.

Obviously, I am not saying we should sign Hopkins for $20 million plus a year, but I think he can be had for much less than that. Hopkins has made many comments about his admiration for Josh Allen, and the Von Miller effect is highly apparent.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hopkins is 30, and in recent years, is injury prone. The other factor is whether a team has already paid their #1 receiver, because it is not realistic to have a $45 million QB and 2 $25 million receivers on the same team for any lengthy period of time.

When the Bills signed Deonte Harty, McKenzie said himself he was livid right away. Imagine now with Diggs. The only way I see it happen for the Bills is that everyone, including Hopkins, realizes that he's no longer the lead dog in the WR room and he is willing to take a back seat on a prove-it deal.
    I will actually say it would be the opposite situation with Diggs. I think he would be thrilled...

Diggs is upset about losing year after year. Teams can laser focus on Diggs and take him out of the game (e.g Bengals), and last year we weren't able to overcome that.

The last time we had real WR2 production was the Bills-KC playoff game, when Gabe Davis went off for 4 TDs. That's what this offense could look like with DHop and Diggs as WR1a and WR1b. Diggs has always loved his fellow WRs, and even campaigned for Cole Beasley to come back a few weeks ago. He wants to win.

Signing DHopkins would make life easier for Diggs, if you ask me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It depends on how he prioritizes the big 3:

1. Money - not sure, but I think Ravens have the advantage there
    2. Touches - Although he would instantly be the undisputed #1 on BAL, he’d be playing with the weakest of the 3 QBs. He would also probably be the #1 wideout on KC, but likely second in receiving targets to Kelce. On Buffalo, his floor would be the #2.
    3. Winning - KC all the way. Chiefs went 17-3 last year with the Burger King B shift at WR. Mahomes is the game’s best winner, Reid is the best and most creative offensive mind, etc.

Buffalo can only best the competition (as they currently stand) in “maybe” touches, but Diggs would have to be all-in on the recruiting pitch and I’m having a hard time seeing that. Hope I’m wrong
    Last edited by Chet; 05-26-2023 at 01:15 PM.

18. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat View Post
    I will actually say it would be the opposite situation with Diggs. I think he would be thrilled...

Diggs is upset about losing year after year. Teams can laser focus on Diggs and take him out of the game (e.g Bengals), and last year we weren't able to overcome that.

The last time we had real WR2 production was the Bills-KC playoff game, when Gabe Davis went off for 4 TDs. That's what this offense could look like with DHop and Diggs as WR1a and WR1b. Diggs has always loved his fellow WRs, and even campaigned for Cole Beasley to come back a few weeks ago. He wants to win.

Signing DHopkins would make life easier for Diggs, if you ask me.
    I hope you are right, that would show he shares the same frustrations and is all about the Ws. I can live with that kind of passion if his heart is in the right place

Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How much money is Arizona on the hook for? What's he already getting paid?
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,181 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Diggs and Hopkins are friends.

22. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-27-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    It depends on how he prioritizes the big 3:

1. Money - not sure, but I think Ravens have the advantage there
    2. Touches - Although he would instantly be the undisputed #1 on BAL, he’d be playing with the weakest of the 3 QBs. He would also probably be the #1 wideout on KC, but likely second in receiving targets to Kelce. On Buffalo, his floor would be the #2.
    3. Winning - KC all the way. Chiefs went 17-3 last year with the Burger King B shift at WR. Mahomes is the game’s best winner, Reid is the best and most creative offensive mind, etc.

Buffalo can only best the competition (as they currently stand) in “maybe” touches, but Diggs would have to be all-in on the recruiting pitch and I’m having a hard time seeing that. Hope I’m wrong
    I can't argue about the money, but the Chiefs and Bills are similar in that regard. In the end, it just comes down to how Beane or Veach want to structure the contracts in the short and long term. But yes, Baltimore is in the best shape there.

Agree that KC offers a better chance of a Super Bowl ring than Buffalo. In fact, I would even say the Eagles (who would also be in the mix) probably offer him a better chance than Buffalo for a Ring.

I also feel that a trade might have happened on Draft day if Kincaid wasn't available. Beane made the right move there, but now he has the opportunity to snag both.

The one factor we can't overlook is Von Miller... I am convinced that the combination of Josh Allen and Von Miller is enough to make Hopkins sign. If I was betting, I would say the Bills have the best chance to sign DHop, and would go out on a limb to say it will happen.

Call me crazy... but if I was Josh Allen, I would consider taking a small pay reduction to help bring in Hopkins. It would be a very Tom Brady thing to do.
    Last edited by Lexwhat; 05-26-2023 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,419 Times in 7,289 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

22 mil cap hit for the Cards. They're shooting for the #1 pick.

25. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-27-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Lexwhat View Post
    I can't argue about the money, but the Chiefs and Bills are similar in that regard. In the end, it just comes down to how Beane or Veach want to structure the contracts in the short and long term. But yes, Baltimore is in the best shape there.

Agree that KC offers a better chance of a Super Bowl ring than Buffalo. In fact, I would even say the Eagles (who would also be in the mix) probably offer him a better chance than Buffalo for a Ring.

I also feel that a trade might have happened on Draft day if Kincaid wasn't available. Beane made the right move there, but now he has the opportunity to snag both.

The one factor we can't overlook is Von Miller... I am convinced that the combination of Josh Allen and Von Miller is enough to make Hopkins sign. If I was betting, I would say the Bills have the best chance to sign DHop, and would go out on a limb to say it will happen.

Call me crazy... but if I was Josh Allen, I would consider taking a small pay reduction to help bring in Hopkins. It would be a very Tom Brady thing to do.
    I still think Diggs has to be in the recruiting triumvirate for the pitch to be successful, and if sukie is right above then hopefully that’s not an issue.

You ain’t lying about Philly either. There is **** all in the NFC right now so that’s a 6-lane highway to the NFCCG at worst

27. Post thanked by:

Lexwhat (05-26-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Eagles gave AJ Brown a $100 million 4 year extension, similar to Bills to Diggs. Style wise, AJ Brown is very similar to Hopkins whereas Diggs' game is very different from Hopkins.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,077 Times in 4,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wow. Why would Arizona take such a hit??