• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Oliver extended

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Guys. It’s 45 guaranteed. That’s 11 per. That’s half of what the franchise tender is.
    His fifth-year option for this season was $10.7. The franchise tag number was not in play, but if it was it would have been $18.9.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
      The deal is fine but it's the philosophy I'm questioning. I'd rather see them pay the market rate for a great player instead of getting a good deal on a mediocre player that really has underperformed where he was drafted. Hope he has a great year and it turns out to be a big win.
      When you don’t have a franchise QB and hall of fame pass rusher… you could easily get a really good player

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Makes sense to me. Beane isn’t about to give up on one of his early 1st Rounders. Also he’s underrated by the fan base.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Interesting!! I was assuming Oliver was going to test the open market like Tremaine Edmunds, Milano, and Poyer did.

With that being said, IMO this is a VERY fair contract for both sides.

Aaron Donald is at $30+ million a year. Jeffrey Simmons is like $24 million a year... I figure Chris Jones will likely fall somewhere between those two.

Ed Oliver hasn't matched the production of any of those guys, but he is a top 15 DT in this league. I think Oliver will truly break out this year with Von Miller coming back and (hopefully) an improved Greg Rousseau. It's too bad Beane's other DLine picks (Epenesa, Basham) are looking like busts.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sukie View Post
            Lower this years cap number and trade him with a deal in place?
            That I could get behind!!!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
              Eh. They must like him better than I do.
              Hopefully they get this one right!

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• All-state10
                • Apr 2023

Lower this years cap number and trade him with a deal in place?
                Do some of you even think before posting

Comment

• Cali512
                  • Jan 2012

Well, he should be good from the pockets down now
                  Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Cali512 View Post
                    Well, he should be good from the pockets down now
                    When do we get the heart?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat View Post
                      Ed Oliver hasn't matched the production of any of those guys, but he is a top 15 DT in this league. I think Oliver will truly break out this year with Von Miller coming back and (hopefully) an improved Greg Rousseau. It's too bad Beane's other DLine picks (Epenesa, Basham) are looking like busts.
                      Don’t forget Poona Ford to backup Daquan. IMO Ed is worth this kind of money when the offense can’t double team him. Cincy gobbled him up with Daquan out. Hopefully Poona means we always have a partner for Ed that demands double teams. He should produce.

I think the difference between $17M and $30M is that Ed can produce when put in a position to succeed whereas guys like Donald and Von produce no matter what.
                      Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• sukie
                        Seriously?
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by All-state10 View Post
                        Do some of you even think before posting
                        Yes why? He’s playing this year for less today than yesterday. This deal lowers the 2023 cap. Trade after the season or before. Teams wouldn’t find the new numbers too high and he wouldn’t be viewed as a rental. Bills actually could get something for him… unlike edmunds.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                          Don’t forget Poona Ford to backup Daquan. IMO Ed is worth this kind of money when the offense can’t double team him. Cincy gobbled him up with Daquan out. Hopefully Poona means we always have a partner for Ed that demands double teams. He should produce.

I think the difference between $17M and $30M is that Ed can produce when put in a position to succeed whereas guys like Donald and Von produce no matter what.
                          You're right. Ed Oliver doesn't regularly beat the double teams like Aaron Donald can... Having Ford / DaQuan Jones next to him makes a big difference.

I have high hopes for P.Ford - he signed for next to nothing (basically Vet minimum), and the value is fantastic. This year's top-4 DT rotation of Ford, Oliver, D.Jones, and Jordan Phillips is very good... The issue is (for now) - is only Ed Oliver is signed beyond 2023.

Comment

• Oaf
                            Do you read what you write?
                            • Jun 2007

We lose out on "Oliver in a contract year" performance since his contract is mostly guaranteed now.

We lose out on "At least we get a comp pick when he signs big elsewhere."

We lose out on "Let's start over with another talented player more in line with the physical norms and on a rookie contract" while we look ahead to another cap strapped year in 2024.

How does this signing / timing make sense?

Comment

• All-state10
                              • Apr 2023

Yes why? He’s playing this year for less today than yesterday. This deal lowers the 2023 cap. Trade after the season or before. Teams wouldn’t find the new numbers too high and he wouldn’t be viewed as a rental. Bills actually could get something for him… unlike edmunds.
                              Dear god. Have you ever seen a team sign someone to exstension then trade them right after? Just stop.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                                We lose out on "Oliver in a contract year" performance since his contract is mostly guaranteed now.
                                We lose out on "At least we get a comp pick when he signs big elsewhere."

We lose out on "Let's start over with another talented player more in line with the physical norms and on a rookie contract" while we look ahead to another cap strapped year in 2024.

How does this signing / timing make sense?

Ed Oliver is only going to get more expensive as time goes on. The Bills believe in his ability, and I don't blame them. The results will speak for themselves.

They got him for $17 million a year, which is well below the top tier price of premier DTs in this league. I think if Oliver hit the open market, he would have been paid a lot more by another team in free agency. Good DTs are very hard to find.

Comp pick? Aside from Oliver, we have no starting DTs signed beyond the 2023 season (Ford, Jordan Phillips, and DaQuan Jones are all FAs after this year). I don't expect a rookie DT or a bargain FA to step in and match Oliver's production. When Oliver is on his game, he's a huge asset. He just needs to be more consistent. I expect a breakout year for Oliver this year, even though he wasn't a slouch the last 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X