• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Oliver extended

Oliver and Poona Ford will do better if Jordan Phillips and D.Jones stay healthy and eat the double team. That was an issue last year.

Pressure up the middle is the biggest worry of any QB. They can step up in the pocket if they sense the outside rush. But if the 1 gap DT gets in there, the plans go sideways fast.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      Oliver and Poona Ford will do better if Jordan Phillips and D.Jones stay healthy and eat the double team. That was an issue last year.

Pressure up the middle is the biggest worry of any QB. They can step up in the pocket if they sense the outside rush. But if the 1 gap DT gets in there, the plans go sideways fast.
      I’ve mentioned several times how much a huge loss Daquan Jones was in the Cincy debacle.

That was the only game he missed ALL last season. His snap count for the season was 61.18%, most of any DT’s.

He only had one game with sub-50% snap count and that was barely....49.3% vs Pittsburgh.

Three of the last four games in the regular season he had over 70%....73% vs Jets week 14, 76.3% vs Miami week 15 & 73.5% vs NE week 18.

He was greatly missed vs Cincy.

Comment

• swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by notacon View Post
        I’ve mentioned several times how much a huge loss Daquan Jones was in the Cincy debacle.

That was the only game he missed ALL last season. His snap count for the season was 61.18%, most of any DT’s.

He only had one game with sub-50% snap count and that was barely....49.3% vs Pittsburgh.

Three of the last four games in the regular season he had over 70%....73% vs Jets week 14, 76.3% vs Miami week 15 & 73.5% vs NE week 18.

He was greatly missed vs Cincy.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Ed Oliver believes he's going to "outplay" his $68 million contract extension - ProFootballTalk

“I don’t feel any pressure; I feel like I’m going to outplay the contract, to be honest,” Oliver said Tuesday, via O’Halloran. “I just want to shut everybody up who said I was overpaid [with the new contract]. Just sit back and watch me.”

The extension allowed the Bills to lower his cap hit from $10.753 million in 2023 to $4.978 million, and it also guarantees the team will have at least one defensive tackle under contract for 2024. Bills General Manager Brandon Beane said the team thinks Oliver’s best football is ahead of him, which is why they were willing to commit to him long term.

“[Defensive tackle] is a premium position in our league, and they’re hard to find, especially if you’re having the success we have and where we draft [late in the first round],” Beane said.

Oliver, the ninth overall pick in 2019, wanted to remain in Buffalo and keep building what the Bills are building.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

I think Beane did the right thing. He extended an Oliver branch, and Ed took it

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                The remaining details can be found here, but in the end, the moral of this contract seems to be that Oliver could be cut after just one year and the Bills are out minimal money. It's a win for the Bills, and could potentially be a win for Oliver, as well.

https://buffalowdown.com/posts/buffa...f-01h28p8g89aj

do salary is 2 million for 2023 and there is a minimal money cut option to the Bills.
                Love it!

Comment

• swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  Ok.

The results on the field show we aren’t good enough to handle KC or Cincy in the playoffs. You think Floyd covers that gap?

Spoiler alert: he doesn’t.
                  All the changes do, however. Sorry to burst your bubble of doubt. KC and Cincinnati aren't that great.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

Four games into the 2023 season, this Oliver extension is looking like quite the bargain. He has been consistently and relentlessly causing havoc. The rest of the DL is looking ridiculously tough too. Go Bills.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Oliver and Daquan Jones are beasts. What a complete difference with McD calling the shots. Now we're attacking. Now we're becoming the bullies with just 4 players and we sill have guys like Poona Ford on the bench.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

I was wrong about Bernard and I was wrong about this, too.

McDermott is making a fool out of me.

And I love it.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
                          I was wrong about Bernard and I was wrong about this, too.

McDermott is making a fool out of me.

And I love it.
                          You were wrong, and I was wrong about McD. But...all I was critical of was wanting a change at leadership, which happened when McD took on the DC duties as well as HC. So I'm covered...

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                            Oliver and Daquan Jones are beasts. What a complete difference with McD calling the shots. Now we're attacking. Now we're becoming the bullies with just 4 players and we sill have guys like Poona Ford on the bench.
                            Both have been great.

Comment

• sukie
                              Seriously?
                              • Sep 2012

Oddly (in a good way) Poona has been benched purely on a numbers situation. The way Dawson and Oliver are playing… he will be well rested. Nice problem to have. Also on one of Rousseau’s sacks… he was lined up at DT.

Comment

Working...
                              X