Do the Bills have a Sean McDermott Problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

Do the Bills have a Sean McDermott Problem???

It’s sure starting to look that way. With the Diggs drama being the latest in a fairly long list of rumors and speculation that McD may be losing control, or worse yet, RESPECT in the locker room.

The last came with this report from Mike Florio, citing an article from Boston Globe writer, Ben Volin.

The actual story from Mr. Volin is behind a pay wall, but Florio quotes this “nugget”…

Report: Stefon Diggs is unhappy with his role in offense, voice in play-calling

The Stefon Diggs drama in Buffalo provided plenty of entertainment and intrigue for roughly 24 hours last week, before Bills coach Sean McDermott shifted into full-blown nothing-to-see-here mode.

Of course there is plenty of see. We saw it play out on Tuesday. A truce somehow was negotiated between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, a surely tentative middle ground that McDermott dared not disrupt by inadvertently blurting out the truth.

most of last week, there were no reports regarding the source of Diggs’s obvious displeasure. On Sunday, Ben Volin of the Boston Globe filled the void with this nugget regarding the situation: “Diggs’s frustration is with his role in the offense and his voice in play-calling, per a league source close to the Bills’ locker room.”

Snip…

He skipped all of the voluntary portion of the offseason program, a fact that didn’t trouble Bills fans as much as it should have. Last week, the boiling point was quickly reached after Diggs showed up for mandatory minicamp, attended meetings with McDermott and G.M. Brandon Beane on Monday and Tuesday — and then left before the first mandatory minicamp practice started on Tuesday.

It’s still not clear whether Diggs stormed out or whether he was asked/told to leave. Diggs complained on social media about someone lying; it’s possible he left only after someone suggested that he do so.

More….

Tim Graham has already reported that….

”My take is, I don’t have one. I’ve been trying to find out what is the issue, and I don’t know.

And everybody has been tightly lipped about it….I’ve been told, that it is NOT Ken Dorsey if you want to strike that one off the list, because that is about all I could wriggle out of my sources.”

That is pretty unequivocal, and the report from Mr. Volin does not necessarily refute what Graahm said.

It’s interesting that Volin frames this as Diggs “frustration” with his “role” in the offence and “his voice in play calling”

The meeting in question was with McDermott and BEANE…not Dorsey.

This sure looks like a questioning, by Diggs, of the way McDermott is approaching the job, as in what constraints he has put on Dorsey.

Add to this the Tyler Dunn reporting that McD big footed the ST coach and ****ed up the kickoff at “13 seconds” and the (mostly speculation…that may have had strong influence by McD) of taking over defensive play calling for the same 13 seconds….and the picture is not looking very pretty or positive.

I value Tim Graham saying that McD did NOT take of defensive play calling since that one game in 2018…but that does not preclude a huge influence to the strategy.

There is little question that McDermott handled the whole Diggs drama pretty poorly....certainly in his public quotes.

Like I said in another thread

“I especially agree with your final statement...."I DO think McD needs to have a very good year and AT LEAST get the the AFC Championship if not the Super Bowl or be might Not be retained”

I‘m thinking that getting to the AFCC may not be enough. Getting to the Super Bowl is critical. I could live with (another) loss there....depending on how the loss comes about. But failing to get there is not going to cut it.”

And…”The patients with McDermott is wearing extremely thin.”
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Do the Bills have a Sean McDermott Problem???

Do WR ever get a role in play calling? Anywhere?

Comment

• sukie
      Seriously?
      • Sep 2012

They should.

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
        Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
        • Nov 2012

Newsbreak: WR in Buffalo to have a role in play calling.

Back to Stan with the Weather ….

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
          Do WR ever get a role in play calling? Anywhere?
          This team has two bona fide superstars. (at least on offense...Von Miller is another one). Without Allen and Diggs, this team would probably still be mired in the drought.

We do not know (or probably ever will) what is even meant by “voice in the play calling” although it certainly meshes with his “role”.

Although the Ben Volin's article is behind a pay wall, for some reason I was able to access it though my phone via Apple News. He brings up these important observations....

Oh, and things are just fine between Diggs and the team. He even appeared at Wednesday’s practice, participating in individual drills before sitting out team drills.

“He was excused by me, and so those conversations have got us to what I think and believe is a great spot,” McDermott said.

Of course, that’s a sanitized version of events. The Bills really do have issues with Diggs, their 29-year-old star receiver. McDermott is just doing his best to deescalate a tricky situation.

What else can McDermott do? McDermott needs Diggs more than ever in 2023, following two straight embarrassing postseason losses that have put McDermott on the hot seat. McDermott may have won three straight AFC East titles, but he doesn’t have much to show for it.

….snip….

Diggs’s frustration is with his role in the offense and his voice in play-calling, per a league source close to the Bills’ locker room. He was visibly agitated at Allen during the 27-10 playoff loss to the Bengals, stormed out of the locker room almost immediately after the game, and didn’t attend any voluntary workouts this offseason.

The issues still hadn’t been resolved when the Bills reported for mandatory minicamp on Monday evening, as Diggs skipped Tuesday’s practice. Diggs’s agent, Adisa Bakari, told ESPN that Diggs reported for his physical on Monday night and did everything the team asked him to do, calling it an “in-house” issue, not contractual.

But by Wednesday, Diggs was back on the field, and McDermott spoke of the importance of involving Diggs more.

“Listen, getting Stef the ball is an important part of our offense. There’s no reason to say it isn’t,” McDermott said. “He’s a big focal point of our offense, in addition to Josh. And so you know, it’s important to get him going, and the more production he has, the more production we have as an offense.”

At first glance it’s hard to see how the Bills could get Diggs more opportunities. His stats last year all ranked in the top five in the NFL — 154 targets, 108 catches, 1,429 yards, and 11 touchdowns. Since joining the Bills for the 2020 season, Diggs is top six in all of those stats, and his 484 targets rank second behind only Davante Adams.

But a closer look does reveal a few reasons for Diggs to be upset. Over the last six games in 2023, including two playoff games, Diggs caught just one touchdown pass and averaged a meager 63 receiving yards. per game. In the playoff loss to the Bengals, a listless, blowout defeat at home, Diggs had just four catches for 35 yards.

And Diggs may not have connected as well with new offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey after thriving for two years with former coordinator Brian Daboll. McDermott intimated that it was all discussed with Diggs on Tuesday.

“We come out of those meetings with some real truths about what we could have done better,” McDermott said. “I’m extremely impressed and appreciative of the communication that we’ve had. And we all want the same thing, and that’s what we kept coming back to, is we all want to win. And so I think we’re in a good spot.”

Originally posted by sukie View Post
          They should.
          Sure looks like it for the Bills, who for every one the 4 lost games last year were because ( in large part) of an underperforming offense....late in the year they did not look that threatening for long stretches. In every one of the three regular season losses the offense had the ball in their hands with a legitimate chance to win the game.

They failed every time.

It also sure looks like Diggs wants to WIN so badly that he is 100% justified to be “frustrated” and has every right...no...DUTY...in questioning how he is utilized. When Diggs is cooking, the Bills are hard to stop.

What is so unnerving about so many of these issues (and in particular how awfully McDermott handing this situation in public.....as Tim Graham pointed out how badly in stark detail.....”...self inflicted wound to self inflicted wound to self inflicted wound in what McDermott said.....” is that McDermott is flailing right now and either has or is very close to losing the respect of the locker room and of its biggest stars.

Maybe McDermott DID “resolve” the issue and is NOW listening to Stefon Diggs....just like he has to listen to Josh Allen.

There is no reason to feel comfortable with the team’s head coach right now. He could quell all of that doubt with a season that lives up to the expectations and the stellar quality of the roster....and especially an uber-elite QB and elite WR.

He certainly will have NO excuse if the defense is not HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than 2022, when injuries decimated too many of the BEST starters....Hyde missing almost all season...Tre’ White not playing most of the season and barely getting back to full strength...Von Miller missing the most critial end of the season....Poyer playing injured all season...losing their other starting safety (who replaced Hyde) in Hamlin...Phillips missing too many games...and on and on and on.....and despite those challenges, they performed at a very high level. Better than the offense.

On top of those facts, they added substantial free agents that go a long way to solidifying the issues that needed to be addressed.

No excuses left for McDermott. It’s ‘make it or break it’ time!!!

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

It's a results sport and if they have an off year with missing the playoffs or an early playoff exit, the heat will be on.

Let's see how the season progresses first. Current down time drives many to insanity.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

People misunderstand Diggs. He's not your typical diva WR. Yeah he's a diva but all top WR's are. But he's not all about his own stats. The guy wants to WIN. I love that about him. He's as competitive as they come. And damnit they should listen to what he has to say, he knows exactly what he's doing. Getting him the ball more is a no brainer. He has hands like a venus fly trap.

Comment

• Goobylal
                • Jan 2004

Last year was one of the most unbelievable seasons in terms of off-field and on-field issues that I've ever seen a team endure. It's as if none of that happened and it's all McD's fault the team fizzled-out against the Bengals. I can tell you that when I saw Daquon Jones was going to miss the game, it was over.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                  They should.
                  Disagree. WR’s are ball hogs and prima donnas. Their solution will be “give me the ball” every time.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

Anyone have a cliff notes to this?

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Lack of communication on the field that led to 13 seconds.
                      Lack of communication the off-season after, players complained 13 seconds was never addressed.
                      Lack of communication, even, with the Araiza debacle.
                      Lack of communication this off-season with Diggs.

That pretty much narrows it down quite a bit.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• imbondz
                        Democrats are people too
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                        Anyone have a cliff notes to this?
                        It’s the off season and sports writers have nothing else to write about.
                        My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

I think Josh lost his edge at the end of the season. Can't remember if it was right before or after the Bengals game, I think after. But his response was "as long as Damar is alright". That always stuck with me. If you recall before the Cincy game was cancelled, Diggs was on the sideline trying to refocus the team and get them to win the game after he was taken away. Then it was cancelled. I think the whole Damar thing effected Josh and spilled over into the psyche of the team and Diggs is like I get it but I want to win. That's why I think Damar should not be in this lineup again.
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                            I think Josh lost his edge at the end of the season. Can't remember if it was right before or after the Bengals game, I think after. But his response was "as long as Damar is alright". That always stuck with me. If you recall before the Cincy game was cancelled, Diggs was on the sideline trying to refocus the team and get them to win the game after he was taken away. Then it was cancelled. I think the whole Damar thing effected Josh and spilled over into the psyche of the team and Diggs is like I get it but I want to win. That's why I think Damar should not be in this lineup again.
                            I think the whole team was emotionally drained. The off-season started with the Buffalo Tops mass casualty shooting, then Kim Pegula almost died, then Dawson Knox's brother died and then Hamlin almost died. Along the way they lost key players on defense.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                              It’s the off season and sports writers have nothing else to write about.
                              It's not like they are making **** up out of thin air. The team is giving them plenty of fodder.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X