Thread: Legendary Riders RB George Reed passes away at 83

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Legendary Riders RB George Reed passes away at 83

Legendary Saskatchewan Roughriders running back George Reed has passed away just one day shy of his 84th birthday, the franchise announced late Sunday night.

Born in Vicksburg, Mississippi, Reed made his way to Saskatchewan in 1963 after an outstanding college career at Washington State. Despite early experiences of racism, he became a fixture in the Regina community and established himself as the best ball carrier in CFL history.

“It was my dad’s immense honour to be part of the Saskatchewan community and to call it home for so many years. Sixty years ago, he received an offer to move to Regina to play for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and in accepting that offer it changed our lives for the better,” Reed’s daughter, Georgette, said as part of an official family statement.

“Playing for the Roughriders was one of my dad’s greatest joys and we will never forget the love he and our entire family received from the people here until the very end. I know my dad’s legacy will live on in the hearts of Rider Nation, as well as our own. We will all miss him so very much.”

In 13 seasons with the Riders, Reed carried the ball 3,243 times for 16,116 yards and 134 touchdowns. He retired in 1975 as the CFL’s all-time leading rusher, a mark that was not passed until Mike Pringle achieved the feat in 2004. He remains the league’s all-time leader in rushing touchdowns and 1,000-yard seasons with 11.

A ten-time all-star, Reed was named the league’s Most Outstanding Player in 1965 after setting a franchise single-season record of 1,768 yards. A year later, he earned the Grey Cup’s Most Valuable Player as the Riders took home their first championship.

“George Reed was a giant in life, not only for the Roughriders, but in the Saskatchewan community and across the entire CFL. His strength and tenacity on the field was matched only by his compassion and dedication off of it,” Roughriders’ president Craig Reynolds said on behalf of the organization.

“George made our province and the CFL a better place and I know I speak on behalf of all of Rider Nation when I say we will miss him deeply. It was an honour to have him in our life.”

Reed was awarded the inaugural Tom Pate Memorial Award for community service in 1976 and would go on to serve two stints as CFLPA president. He was made a member of the Order of Canada in 1978 and inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame a year later. His number 34 was officially retired by the Riders when he stepped away from the game and will never be worn again.

“In George Reed, the Roughriders had a legend in its midst, a role model and an example of what it meant to be a true professional,” added Riders’ general manager Jeremy O’Day. “To be able to spend time with George throughout my time in Saskatchewan was a blessing and provided me, as well as our staff, players and coaches a great source of inspiration. There will never be another #34.”

A naturalized Canadian citizen, Reed made Regina his home and continued to be actively involved in a variety of charitable activities.

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie posted an extensive statement on Reed’s passing, a testament to his importance to the league.

“It is remarkable that George played 13 years in the Canadian Football League, an eternity in professional football, particularly for a running back. It is notable that he played all 203 of his games for one team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, earning the CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Award in 1965.

​It’s impressive that, at the time of his retirement in 1975, he held career records for rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and touchdowns of any sort. it is incredible that he has continued to hold the CFL record for rushing touchdowns, 134 in total, all of this time, given all the talented players who have followed.

​But what truly speaks to the greatness of George Reed is the hold he has continued to have on so many of us, long after he stopped playing the game he loved. It’s a hold on our hearts, which has endured year after year, decade after decade, and even generation after generation. It has had such tremendous staying power because it had far more to do with George Reed the person, than George Reed the football player.

​His humility, kindness and devotion to community – the generosity with which he always responded to both people and causes – drew so many of us to him over the years, including thousands born long after he stopped scoring touchdowns. We’ll always honour his place in Canadian football history. But George Reed’s place in our hearts is what we’ll continue to cherish.”

In lieu of flowers, members of Rider Nation and anyone inspired by George Reed and his legacy are able to make a donation in his memory to the George Reed Legacy Fund by visiting riderville.com. This fund will ensure continued support for the causes that mean the most to Reed for years to come: Special Olympics Saskatchewan and Mother Teresa Middle School.

https://3downnation.com/2023/10/01/l...es-away-at-83/
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,613 Times in 6,165 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Legendary Riders RB George Reed passes away at 83

RIP
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As much as it pains me to support anything Roughriders, Reed was legit and a true legend of the CFL. RIP

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    As much as it pains me to support anything Roughriders, Reed was legit and a true legend of the CFL. RIP
    I feel your pain. lol