Thanks
    Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,486 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keep the HC and look forward to 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I gave a name in another thread...

Press Taylor.

Jags OC.

Has developed Trevor Lawrence into a good looking NFL QB. The Jags offense looks good. It has creativity. And it doesn't have the playmakers we have nor is Lawrence as good as Allen.

We need a young offensive minded HC that is going to tailor the team around Josh Allen and his strengths. A guy who is going to try and go for it with 20 seconds left instead of playing for OT. A guy who might go with the analytics and not punt from the opposition 45 yard line.

Another name that was overlooked for years because he was the Chiefs OC. Eric Bienemy. Just look at how good Sam Howell has looked this year. He's a nobody. Bienemy has gotten that out of him.

Either guy I'd be happy with as the next HC.
    So you’re ready to go with a first-time HC and start all over. lol pass

And there has to be a reason Bienimy isn’t a HC and it’s not his skin color. Just because you can draw up nice plays that Mahomes gets to run doesn’t make one a great leader.

2. Post thanked by:

acehole (12-06-2023)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,487 Times in 9,184 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I gave a name in another thread...

Press Taylor.

Jags OC.

Has developed Trevor Lawrence into a good looking NFL QB. The Jags offense looks good. It has creativity. And it doesn't have the playmakers we have nor is Lawrence as good as Allen.

We need a young offensive minded HC that is going to tailor the team around Josh Allen and his strengths. A guy who is going to try and go for it with 20 seconds left instead of playing for OT. A guy who might go with the analytics and not punt from the opposition 45 yard line.

Another name that was overlooked for years because he was the Chiefs OC. Eric Bienemy. Just look at how good Sam Howell has looked this year. He's a nobody. Bienemy has gotten that out of him.

Either guy I'd be happy with as the next HC.
    Theoretically they both need to pair with a good DC though on their speed dial.

4. Post thanked by:

YardRat (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,381 Times in 7,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Pinto View Post
    So tell me - - who should be the next HC?
    Joe Brady. Then revamp the defense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    There are a lot of factors as to why this team has faltered this year, injuries, killer schedule, but one thing keeps getting overlooked.

The AFC is dog eat dog.

Even this division is pretty tough.

Philly's 10-1 is impressive, but the conference is garbage, and all the top tier quarterbacks are again, in the AFC.

A month ago, I would have said that anyone could win the AFC. Perhaps now we can rule out the Bills, Chargers, Raiders, and Pats.

This is a challenging conference for an aging team that is maxed out on the cap.
    The Bills are an aging team. They rank near the top of NFL teams listed by age and are in group that includes the Jets, Saints, Panthers and Patriots. And this was before they signed some veterans in November.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Theoretically they both need to pair with a good DC though on their speed dial.
    Completely agree.

We need an offensive minded head coach who can put together a staff and give the defensive side of the ball full reign to his DC.

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    So you’re ready to go with a first-time HC and start all over. lol pass

And there has to be a reason Bienimy isn’t a HC and it’s not his skin color. Just because you can draw up nice plays that Mahomes gets to run doesn’t make one a great leader.
    We need to start all over.

We're an old, slow, aging roster with a generational talent at QB.

With the cap situation, it's legitimately going to take two years to retool the roster, when we can get rid of contracts like Miller and Knox, and do something about Diggs huge numbers.

We went with a rookie HC in McDermott and he got us so far, we need new fresh blood that is offense geared.

And sure, just dismiss Bienemy, but look at what the Chiefs offense looks like without him....and look at what he has done with Sam Howell. Howell is top 5 in the NFL in yards passing. And he's a nobody.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Easy to please fanbase, tbh. You all are so battered and bruised from the drought that you’ve been ground down into tiny shards of psychological wreckage.

You still think the drought is the norm. The baseline. Where if it were 95% of all other teams in all the major sports combined it would be a historic embarrassment. Because of this flawed thinking, you’ve conditioned yourselves to accept any scraps or crumbs of success that fall off the table.

If you support retaining Marty McDermott you are advertising your contentment with mediocrity. You are rooting not to lose instead of rooting for winning.

11. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (12-06-2023),Lone Stranger (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 903 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With the cap situation, it's legitimately going to take two years to retool the roster, when we can get rid of contracts like Miller and Knox, and do something about Diggs huge numbers.

We went with a rookie HC in McDermott and he got us so far, we need new fresh blood that is offense geared.

And sure, just dismiss Bienemy, but look at what the Chiefs offense looks like without him....and look at what he has done with Sam Howell. Howell is top 5 in the NFL in yards passing. And he's a nobody.
    I think you’re right on Bienemy. He’s a very good OC…time will tell if that translates to HC.

I think you’re wrong on Howell. He’s not a bum, you can’t just scheme the success that he’s had.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,683 Times in 7,747 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    Easy to please fanbase, tbh. You all are so battered and bruised from the drought that you’ve been ground down into tiny shards of psychological wreckage.

You still think the drought is the norm. The baseline. Where if it were 95% of all other teams in all the major sports combined it would be a historic embarrassment. Because of this flawed thinking, you’ve conditioned yourselves to accept any scraps or crumbs of success that fall off the table.

If you support retaining Marty McDermott you are advertising your contentment with mediocrity. You are rooting not to lose instead of rooting for winning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 903 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Pinto View Post
    The Bills are an aging team. They rank near the top of NFL teams listed by age and are in group that includes the Jets, Saints, Panthers and Patriots. And this was before they signed some veterans in November.
    They are, but a couple of points:

-they’re going to get younger in 2024 (losing Hyde and Sheffield alone will decrease our age by a hundred years? )

-six different teams have won the Super Bowl (including the Chiefs) with older rosters than the current Bills roster, so that’s not necessarily a limiting factor with proper roster construction/play/coaching.

15. Post thanked by:

acehole (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I think you’re right on Bienemy. He’s a very good OC…time will tell if that translates to HC.

I think you’re wrong on Howell. He’s not a bum, you can’t just scheme the success that he’s had.
    I could be very wrong on Howell. He just wasn't a guy that was highly touted nor a guy anyone knew about prior to this season.

IMO, Bienemy has gotten that out of him. And if Bienemy can do that with Mahomes who was highly touted but had some question marks coming into the draft and then with a relative nobody...just imagine what he can do with Allen.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think he can save himself if he hires a defensive coordinator and hands the reigns over to him.

Both creating a scapegoat and saving his job if it works out.

if it doesn't he can say how great he was as Defensive coordinator.

Seriously ...we didn't lose a game less then what 6 points?

We lost a few key guys and the team still played for him?

His decisions can sometimes drive me crazy but that is like saying "we have a Josh Allen problem" when you have one of statically the best qb's in the league.

I would say get a new DC and lets do a small reload next year.

I personally do not want to make it that far this year in the playoffs with a team that does not know who they are...with this few healthy weapons/playmakers.

PS the caveat to this is a decisive win at KC.

I don't see us getting by SF.
    Hated by the stupid..
    Loved by their moms.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't go all in on Bienemy, it's peculiar no one handed him a program after interviews. Andy Reid calls the plays, and despite losing Hunt, Hill, Bienemy and such, basically with only Mahomes and Kelce, they're still looking maintained in a winning formula. An abrasive style doesn't necessarily fit well with vets, and we're loaded with them because we're always "just a vet away" from success. We're not a fresh team, subject to motivation any more. Dunno how tough love goes over with Allen. You might argue he needs it, but I don't know he responds to it at this point, and he's the franchise.

Hate to say it, but wonder about Kliff Kingsbury. I dunno. The team is back in the world of "I dunno" anyway.

19. Post thanked by:

acehole (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by acehole View Post
    I think he can save himself if he hires a defensive coordinator and hands the reigns over to him.

His decisions can sometimes drive me crazy but that is like saying "we have a Josh Allen problem" when you have one of statically the best qb's in the league.

I personally do not want to make it that far this year in the playoffs with a team that does not know who they are...with this few healthy weapons/playmakers.

Great post! It might be better for 2024 if we don't get to the play-offs.

21. Post thanked by:

acehole (12-07-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I wouldn't go all in on Bienemy, it's peculiar no one handed him a program after interviews. Andy Reid calls the plays, and despite losing Hunt, Hill, Bienemy and such, basically with only Mahomes and Kelce, they're still looking maintained in a winning formula. An abrasive style doesn't necessarily fit well with vets, and we're loaded with them because we're always "just a vet away" from success. We're not a fresh team, subject to motivation any more. Dunno how tough love goes over with Allen. You might argue he needs it, but I don't know he responds to it at this point, and he's the franchise.

Hate to say it, but wonder about Kliff Kingsbury. I dunno. The team is back in the world of "I dunno" anyway.
    I think the consensus on Bienemy in KC was that he didn't do anything to help that team offensively, it was Andy Reid's show. Bienemy going elsewhere was a wise career move to get past that type of thinking. Sam Howell and the Commanders offense is all due to Bienemy and by doing what he's doing in Washington it helps him shed that "it was all Reid and not Bienemy" thought process.

It may take him another season to fully shed that, but I'd be very surprised if Bienemy isn't a HC somewhere by 2025.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,683 Times in 7,747 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by acehole View Post

Pretty good post until you said "His decisions can sometimes drive me crazy but that is like saying "we have a Josh Allen problem" when you have one of statically [sic] (it's statistically, not "statically"..."statically" means something completely different) the best qb's in the league."

It shows that you have decided to bury your head to the elephant in the room that despite Josh Allen being "statically [sic] the best qb's in the league." his penchant for turnovers and boneheaded decisions makes it much, MUCH more difficult to win games.

McD's biggest error this year was to take on DC and HC duties. It made him worse at both positions.

The fact is that there are many reasons for the Bills disappointment so far this season. To ignore Allen's contribution to those disappointments is silly.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is the 2nd lowest in turnover to td ratio this year of any QB?

Your ignorance not withstanding.

"We have a Josh Allen problem" Nobody said ever and when I say nobody I mean you. There isn't one expert that agrees with you.

You don't understand football. It is the other way around the team and the couching let J Allen down on many occasions.

People that don't understand the game always point at the qb...because its the easiest thing to see.
    What about the refs? What about a James cook drop for a walk in? What about a wrong route that shows up on JA stat-line?

PS I don't need your approval.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think the consensus on Bienemy in KC was that he didn't do anything to help that team offensively, it was Andy Reid's show. Bienemy going elsewhere was a wise career move to get past that type of thinking. Sam Howell and the Commanders offense is all due to Bienemy and by doing what he's doing in Washington it helps him shed that "it was all Reid and not Bienemy" thought process.

It may take him another season to fully shed that, but I'd be very surprised if Bienemy isn't a HC somewhere by 2025.
    I don't exactly know what the consensus was on Bienemy, besides an interview flaw. I mean you see teams roll the dice on popular coaching trees, no matter the involvement of the assistant in relation to the involvement of the HC in their specialty. Bienemy, working with Reid, was the guy who installed and ran practices, maintained and influenced beyond calling the actual game day plays. So there's no reason to think his offense wouldn't be an Andy Reid offense pretty much shaped by his experience in KC.

I'm not anti-Bienemy in general, can't see why he doesn't deserve a program more than some of these other guys who did call plays for their units, unless he has unpopular choices for coordinators, and what he wants in a GM.

I mentioned Kingsbury, he's just not a Buffalo kind of guy, but I had to throw it out there.

I guess I see Bienemy as a guy to shape a program, not one to step in and salvage one.

26. Post thanked by:

Mr. Pink (12-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,486 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The last thing I want is to fire McDermott and start over. We need continuity and stability.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Never reinforce failure.

He has failed. Move on.