Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep the HC and look forward to 2024

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keep the HC and look forward to 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Pinto View Post
    I agree. Terry won't be upset unless this scenario plays out again in 2024.
    Which it will.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,267 Times in 15,424 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are a lot of factors as to why this team has faltered this year, injuries, killer schedule, but one thing keeps getting overlooked.

The AFC is dog eat dog.

Even this division is pretty tough.

Philly's 10-1 is impressive, but the conference is garbage, and all the top tier quarterbacks are again, in the AFC.

A month ago, I would have said that anyone could win the AFC. Perhaps now we can rule out the Bills, Chargers, Raiders, and Pats.

This is a challenging conference for an aging team that is maxed out on the cap.

3. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (12-05-2023),Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),Mace (11-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,939 Times in 3,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't give up yet guys. Need this one Sunday.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott probably deserves another year. If I'm Terry, I need to see some growth. All HCs grow on the job, too. The best one, Belichick failed in Cleveland.

The best example I see is Bill Cowher. Cowher in Pittsburgh has many winning years but could not get over the hump. But he grew. As a defensive coach, he's able to find better and better offensive coaches in his later years, especially after Roethlisberger where he started to deviate from his conservative philosophy a lot more. I specifically remember when the Pats won their first superbowl in which they ran thru Pittsburgh, Cowher reflected afterwards that "Bill (Belichick) and his staff pushed all the right buttons" even though Pittsburgh faced Belichick in Cleveland for 5 years and beat them time and time again. Brady was not quite the Brady we came to know at that time.

So to me, this Bills team with proper coaching, should be a superbowl contender, not necessarily the hot one, every year. Get better talent on the coaches. Tighter control, like run thru all possible scenarios, are paramount to go over the last yard to the top. If McDermott cannot show improvement in that front, he should go.

6. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-29-2023),jamze132 (12-05-2023),Mace (11-29-2023),notacon (11-29-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    There are a lot of factors as to why this team has faltered this year, injuries, killer schedule, but one thing keeps getting overlooked.

The AFC is dog eat dog.

Even this division is pretty tough.

Philly's 10-1 is impressive, but the conference is garbage, and all the top tier quarterbacks are again, in the AFC.

A month ago, I would have said that anyone could win the AFC. Perhaps now we can rule out the Bills, Chargers, Raiders, and Pats.

This is a challenging conference for an aging team that is maxed out on the cap.
    It takes a certain amount of luck and the ball bouncing your way to get to 10-1. Philly has seemed to have almost all the luck and most of the breaks of the game on their side.

OT win vs Washington (on a 54 yard FG). KC dropped pass. A freakin 59 yard FG in the rain and wind, and then Bills missing on game winning TD in OT, getting a favorable call on the Brown catch and fumble to end game.

BTW..."ruling out" the Bills at this point is rather short sighted. Not saying they will pull out the 4 or (better yet) five wins to roll into the playoffs....but there is every reason to believe that they are capable of doing it. (and every reason to believe they aren't)

IF they do....watch out. This will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs.

8. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (12-05-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott is the best Head Coach for this team. There is NO TIME FRAME to get to a Super Bowl. He' made the team competitive in the NFL after years of being the punching bags of the League. I support him.

In '24 we have all our draft picks, we won't be selecting in the 20-32 range, and we have new players added to the roster (17 never played for the Bills before '23) that are strong candidates to be back next year.

2024 is our year!
    dude we have to clear 35 mil before we even consider drafting any player, plus there are 4 players costing 10 mil plus that are free agents, so replacing players with no money is gonna be a majic show.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,568 Times in 6,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    It takes a certain amount of luck and the ball bouncing your way to get to 10-1. Philly has seemed to have almost all the luck and most of the breaks of the game on their side.

images-1.jpg

Members in black and white stripes of the Eagles MVP club.

This is how you go 10-1.
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

11. Post thanked by:

Historian (11-30-2023),Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),notacon (11-30-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,568 Times in 6,127 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Don't give up yet guys. Need this one Sunday.
    If that's all we need consider it done ...... the opponent is nobody

Thanks
    Thanked 1,349 Times in 919 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If that's all we need consider it done ...... the opponent is nobody
    The opponent has been themselves.
    Let’s see if they can figure out how to defeat them during this time off.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    If McDermott cannot show improvement in that front, he should go.
    I believe McDermott will get another year anyway, well....those injuries Terry.....and I removed Dorsey, Terry....

Here's the thing though.....he's had 7 years to build his program, 6 years with JFA, molding the program through draft and FA to get the players he wanted. He has a vet team seasoned with playoff experience, and he's choked the same every year followed by his team crumpling. Defense still tries bear hug tackles, defense 101, and the team is visibly declining. He still does the same coaching things on field. He chokes. It's a 7 year pattern of crumple in the clutch.

So how much longer are you waiting for improvement ? When is it supposed to happen ? If you make it 8 years and 7 with Allen, well maybe again next year because.....

McDermott has not shown improvement, he has shown the end of what he's capable of, because it's not getting better. That's as far as you get, in 13 seconds, with a guy calling timeouts to review his defense, when he's a motivational coach. Like call them over for a pep talk or something. Nah. Did the same in Philly. Timeout to review his defense without effect. No evidence of growth. He chokes.

At least go down fighting, we're not getting any closer with McDermott. He's proven himself, imho.

15. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),YardRat (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

McDermott, in year 7, is exactly the same coach he was in year 1. He hasn't improved in any way whatsoever. I also made excuses for him early on, saying that he would learn and improve as a HC. He was new to the role, after all. Those excuses ended with :13, when it became clear who he was as a coach, and that the team would need to win in spite of him. I only see two ways the Bills will win a SB with McD.

1. The offense plays at a historically great level, blowing everyone out, and practically preventing McD from ****ing it up. A sprinkling of preferential calls from the refs, as well as timely injuries to the other teams along the way, could be helpful. In short, no close games, and some luck.

2. McDermott takes a look around and realizes that there's nobody left to blame. Feeling the heat, he shrugs his shoulders and says "**** it, I'm gonna start coaching to win instead of coaching not to lose." He trades in his McClap for a McDoubleThumbsUp, and finally addresses his flaws as a coach.

I want the Bills to win a Super Bowl. I want these players to celebrate a championship together. Most of all, I want the people of Buffalo (which I am not) to throw the greatest victory parade ever... and finally exhale. In my opinion, McDermott is in the way.

17. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),Novacane (12-04-2023),YardRat (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Firing McD (unless the Bills get blown out in every remaining game of the year) would be stupid, and counterproductive.

Mr. Pegula is too smart to listen to emotional fans that do not have the first clue how to run a NFL franchise.....and have nothing at stake (except their fragile pride) if they make bad decisions like this inevitable would be.
    I'm an emotional fan - -for many, many years - -and I want to keep our HC - - we'll win!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Marty McDermott should have been fired two years ago, the longer we keep him, the more time we waste.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Marty McDermott should have been fired two years ago, the longer we keep him, the more time we waste.
    So tell me - - who should be the next HC?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I believe McDermott will get another year anyway, well....those injuries Terry.....and I removed Dorsey, Terry....

Here's the thing though.....he's had 7 years to build his program, 6 years with JFA, molding the program through draft and FA to get the players he wanted. He has a vet team seasoned with playoff experience, and he's choked the same every year followed by his team crumpling. Defense still tries bear hug tackles, defense 101, and the team is visibly declining. He still does the same coaching things on field. He chokes. It's a 7 year pattern of crumple in the clutch.

So how much longer are you waiting for improvement ? When is it supposed to happen ? If you make it 8 years and 7 with Allen, well maybe again next year because.....

McDermott has not shown improvement, he has shown the end of what he's capable of, because it's not getting better. That's as far as you get, in 13 seconds, with a guy calling timeouts to review his defense, when he's a motivational coach. Like call them over for a pep talk or something. Nah. Did the same in Philly. Timeout to review his defense without effect. No evidence of growth. He chokes.

At least go down fighting, we're not getting any closer with McDermott. He's proven himself, imho.
    I don't believe McDermott is one of the genius on one side of the ball like Belichick, McVay, Peyton, Reid, etc. His ceiling on that front is visible. But that does not mean he can't be a great HC. The ability to build a culture like he has right now in Buffalo is one important factor. How many coaches the Bills had in the past have that trait, including Marv Levy? To me the one thing I want to see in a head coach is the ability to find quality coaches, especially young and upcoming ones. Under him, he got Rick Dennison which is below average but I gave McDermott a pass because it is not always easy to find the right one when you first step into the job where your exposure in finding talent in the league and college level is limited. Daboll is a success. Dorsey is a failure - there might be a lesson learned there in that you probably can't let a 25 year old QB select an important position like OC on an NFL team. Joe Brady is good find. O-Line coach? WR coach? For defense, Leslie Frazier is good, but not great. They executed old concept to a very high level but failed to add something new to push them into a level that allow them to be Superbowl caliber (i.e., making key plays at key moments against top level opposition: Mahomes, Burrows). I don't know too much of lower level D coaches.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,695 Times in 7,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The fall of New England from almost the moment Tom Brady left calls into question exactly how much a head coach determines a team's chances of success.

Patrick Mahomes is why the Chiefs have won two Super Bowls...much more than Andy Reid. Tom Brady was more the cause for New England's dominance than Bill Belichik.

Not to say that a head coach does not matter. Of course they do....but in the NFL it STILL comes down to player performance, in particular QB play. Specifically the lack of mistakes from the QB.

KC lost last night, mainly (of course bad referring was a factor but that is a given in today's' NFL and the refs made several really bad calls that favored KC) because Mahomes made the relatively RARE HUGE mistake at the wrong time and the wrong place.

Chief's behind only 5 points, the 4th quarter INT, with only 5 min. left in the game, (after a terrible DPI call that helped KC...what else is new?) at GB's 33 was devastating. Love did not make any boneheaded mistakes (GB's last offensive play when he went down for a "sack" adding 10 yards to the FG that put them ahead by 8 did not effect the game).

Love outplayed Mahomes by avoiding the big mistake.

The last three wins by Green Bay, Love has had 8 TD's and ZERO INT's.

Josh Allen in the last three games (two of them losses)....6 TD's and FOUR INT's.

In the six losses Allen has 9 TD's and 9 INTS. At least one INT in every loss.

In the six wins Allen has 15 TD's and only 4 INT's. He has thrown at least one INT in TEN of the twelve games. Only two games with zero INT's were the blowout wins vs Raiders and Miami.

As Brock Purdy has shown, you do NOT have to be superman, making ridiculous throws showing superior arm strength.

San Fran had a mid-season hick-up with an unusual 3 game losing streak. I those three losses, Purdy threw for only 3 TD's and FIVE INT's. Two against Cincy and Minny and one vs Cleveland.

In their nine wins he threw TWENTY TD's only ONE SINGLE INT. EIGHT WINS with ZERO INT's.

Back to Andy Reid....the Chiefs were a very good team with a very good QB, Alex Smith (with Kelce) from his first year with KC. Their playoff success?? Not much.

2013 - one and out - lost in WC round
    2014 - missed playoffs
    2015 - won WC, lost Div to NE and Brady
    2016 - one and out - lost in Div to Pittsburgh (did not play in WC, they were #2 seed)
    2017 - one and out - lost to Tenn in WC

For the math challenged, that is a 1-4 record.

2018 Patrick Mahomes takes over as starting QB....

2018 - lost in AFCC to NE and Brady (they had fist round bye via #1 seed)
    2019 - won Super Bowl beating HOU in Div, and Tenn in AFCC. Did not have to play against NE and Brady. (they had fist round bye via #2 seed)
    2020 - lost SB to Tampa Bay and TOM BRADY. (they had fist round bye via #1 seed) - Bills get #2 seed but because of playoff change do NOT get first round bye.
    2021 - lost to Cincy in AFCC - they did NOT get first round bye
    2022 - won SB - (they had fist round bye via #1 seed)

Sensing a pattern here???? No Mahomes, no success. Mahomes - great success.

Same with Belichick and Brady.

Same with Paul Brown and Otto Graham (yes, the great Paul Brown never won a championship without Otto Graham at QB).

Same with Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr (yes, the great Vince Lombardi never won a championship without Bart Starr at QB).

The bottom line, when Josh Allen plays closer to mistake free football, the Bills will see success, which makes a HC look better. When Josh (or any QB for that matter) makes too many questionable decisions and too many boneheaded mistakes, they lose games and make the HC look bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,552 Times in 17,438 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't believe McDermott is one of the genius on one side of the ball like Belichick, McVay, Peyton, Reid, etc. His ceiling on that front is visible. But that does not mean he can't be a great HC. The ability to build a culture like he has right now in Buffalo is one important factor. How many coaches the Bills had in the past have that trait, including Marv Levy? To me the one thing I want to see in a head coach is the ability to find quality coaches, especially young and upcoming ones. Under him, he got Rick Dennison which is below average but I gave McDermott a pass because it is not always easy to find the right one when you first step into the job where your exposure in finding talent in the league and college level is limited. Daboll is a success. Dorsey is a failure - there might be a lesson learned there in that you probably can't let a 25 year old QB select an important position like OC on an NFL team. Joe Brady is good find. O-Line coach? WR coach? For defense, Leslie Frazier is good, but not great. They executed old concept to a very high level but failed to add something new to push them into a level that allow them to be Superbowl caliber (i.e., making key plays at key moments against top level opposition: Mahomes, Burrows). I don't know too much of lower level D coaches.
    Unfortunately some of the characteristics of that culture is over-confidence, lack of self-awareness, stubborness, lack of growth, inability to finish, propensity to choke in big moments, lack of preparedness, and on and on...
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

24. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),Mace (12-04-2023)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Unfortunately some of the characteristics of that culture is over-confidence, lack of self-awareness, stubborness, lack of growth, inability to finish, propensity to choke in big moments, lack of preparedness, and on and on...
    Culture is bonding, making everyone works together to achieve a common goal. You see most of the successful companies have that. The best one in NFL is Belichick's run with Brady. That team worked extra hard in practice for the common goal of winning on Sundays. The self-awareness etc. you mentioned normally should come from sharp-minded coaches who have a list of things they observe and need to be fully vested Monday thru Saturday. Whether they miss-observed or could not vest fully of everything they observed to their satisfaction could mean problem of the quality of the coaches.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's been here 7 years, this is his program, built from start to finish, and it's already in decline despite Allen. KC has maintained, so has San Fran with Brock Purdy, the Bengals, Eagles, now even Houston, Denver and Miami have risen in less time. Hapless Cleveland and Pittsburgh without a starter are ahead of us.

We're 7 years into a program, 6 with Josh Allen.

Marv Levy was no great shakes as a coach, he got to 4 super bowls knowing when to get out of the way, compare the timeframe, it's just not good. 7 years of a program and in decline means it failed, imho.

27. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),Mr. Pink (12-05-2023),YardRat (12-06-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So tell me - - who should be the next HC?
    I gave a name in another thread...

Press Taylor.

Jags OC.

Has developed Trevor Lawrence into a good looking NFL QB. The Jags offense looks good. It has creativity. And it doesn't have the playmakers we have nor is Lawrence as good as Allen.

We need a young offensive minded HC that is going to tailor the team around Josh Allen and his strengths. A guy who is going to try and go for it with 20 seconds left instead of playing for OT. A guy who might go with the analytics and not punt from the opposition 45 yard line.

Another name that was overlooked for years because he was the Chiefs OC. Eric Bienemy. Just look at how good Sam Howell has looked this year. He's a nobody. Bienemy has gotten that out of him.

Either guy I'd be happy with as the next HC.

29. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (12-06-2023),Mace (12-05-2023),Novacane (12-05-2023),YardRat (12-06-2023)