• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
    Football should be played on grass that becomes mud when it rains.
    I miss the days of old Municipal Stadium in Cleveland with the painted dirt.

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
      I miss the days of old Municipal Stadium in Cleveland with the painted dirt.
      That was before the minimum salary for a NFL player in his third year is over $1M, and the best QB's demand between $40M (the 3 tied for 10th highest APY salary...Daniel Jones, Stafford and Prescott) and $55M (Joe Burrow).

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
        That was before the minimum salary for a NFL player in his third year is over $1M, and the best QB's demand between $40M (the 3 tied for 10th highest APY salary...Daniel Jones, Stafford and Prescott) and $55M (Joe Burrow).
        You mean the days when they put down the indoor/outdoor carpet on the concrete?

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
          You mean the days when they put down the indoor/outdoor carpet on the concrete?
          I went to a couple of concerts at Rich Stadium in the 70's sitting on the field with little more than a tarp on it.

It was, in fact, just like sitting on concrete. Thankfully, my grass consumption mitigated the pain and discomfort.

The turf fields have gotten much better than the bad days of "indoor/outdoor carpet on the concrete", but none of them can compares to a structurally sound, carefully designed, well maintained grass field.

There is a reason why the FIFA has banned artificial turf for all World Cup games, and the US stadiums that do not have grass will change install it just to get the games.

Comment

• sukie
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by notacon View Post
            Uhhhh....you certainly suggested as much.

Someone would have the will somewhere if it was viably possible.
            It IS possible TODAY!!!! NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER.

It's a matter of will and money.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

So, sukie has to resort to dishonestly "quoting" me, and changing the quote.

If you use the "reply with quote" feature, adjusting the quote is dishonest. Please don't do that.

Let's go over what I ACTUALLY wrote and your lame response.

I wrote this...

"Uhhhh....you certainly suggested as much (that installing and maintaining a grass field in a dome may not be possible)

It IS (installing and maintaining grass field in a dome) possible TODAY!!!! NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER.

It's a matter of will and money."

And you dishonestly inserted your own silly response....

"Someone would have the will somewhere if it was viably possible"

What convoluted, lazy and false logic.

It IS "viably possible" TODAY as I clearly illustrated with the FACT that indoor growing of FOOD (which is MUCH harder to grow than grass) has been "viably possible" for YEARS!

Just because NFL franchises have not done it yet, somehow proving that it's NOT "viably possible" is totally lacking in any reasonable sense of logic.

Installing and maintaining a grass field in a dome IS in FACT, already going to take place in FIVE domes in North America (FOUR in the US and one in Canada) when the FIFA World Cup commences in 2026, which requires grass fields (up to the standards that they set) in order to host these games.

Of course you are the guy that is doubting that EV's are "viably possible"....so the lack of foresight is a thing with your mindset.

Comment

• sukie
                • Sep 2012

I mistakenly replied in the [quote] box.

mistake. not a purposeful change in your thought stream.

sue me.

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

[QUOTE=sukie;5084157]I mistakenly replied in the
                  box.

mistake. not a purposeful change in your thought stream.

sue me.
                  Believe me...if it was possible to get any money I would sue you.

Comment

• sukie
                    • Sep 2012

Indoor growing of food is different than turf that may take the rigors of soccer but not the grinding abuse of football or even Rugby.

a company that could pull it off would do well in partnering with an NFL Guinea Pig just to make a name for itself.

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                      Indoor growing of food is different than turf that may take the rigors of soccer but not the grinding abuse of football or even Rugby.

a company that could pull it off would do well in partnering with an NFL Guinea Pig just to make a name for itself.
                      That is specious at best and (I believe the facts prove) not accurate in the least.

Comment

• sukie
                        • Sep 2012

Name one indoor stadium that has natural grass grown inside that hosts American football.

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

The technology today is so much better than 50 years ago. There is no reason cost or ability wise why every stadium cannot have real grass. The NFL itself could pay for the cost increase and not even feel it with all the copious amounts of cash they have.
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• DetoxTent
                            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                            Name one indoor stadium that has natural grass grown inside that hosts American football.
                            He can't. But watch his bull**** dance around the question.

Comment

• sukie
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                              The technology today is so much better than 50 years ago. There is no reason cost or ability wise why every stadium cannot have real grass. The NFL itself could pay for the cost increase and not even feel it with all the copious amounts of cash they have.
                              So domes in Detroit and Minn could have real grass just … like…. ?

Comment

• Turf
                                • Jul 2002

Certainly! �� Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, despite being a dome, boasts a natural grass field. Here’s how it works:

The grass field is mounted on a track with wheels.
                                This movable field can be rolled in and out of the stadium to receive sunlight when needed.
                                The NFL grows the grass for the Super Bowl years in advance, using a hybrid grass that takes two years to mature.
                                Ahead of Super Bowl 58, the grass field was laid on Allegiant Stadium’s track, ensuring optimal conditions for the game1.
                                So, even under the dome, players get to experience the thrill of real grass beneath their feet! ����

Maintaining natural grass in a dome stadium requires careful planning and specialized techniques. Here are some key aspects of grass maintenance in such stadiums:

Lighting and Sun Exposure:
                                Since domes block natural sunlight, stadium managers use artificial lighting systems to simulate sunlight for the grass.
                                These systems provide the necessary photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) to support grass growth.
                                The grass receives light exposure during non-game hours to maintain its health.

Just a tidbit. The rest is easily available.
                                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍