Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 Times in 5,916 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Name one indoor stadium that has natural grass grown inside that hosts American football.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The technology today is so much better than 50 years ago. There is no reason cost or ability wise why every stadium cannot have real grass. The NFL itself could pay for the cost increase and not even feel it with all the copious amounts of cash they have.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

3. Post thanked by:

notacon (02-17-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Name one indoor stadium that has natural grass grown inside that hosts American football.
    He can't. But watch his bull**** dance around the question.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    The technology today is so much better than 50 years ago. There is no reason cost or ability wise why every stadium cannot have real grass. The NFL itself could pay for the cost increase and not even feel it with all the copious amounts of cash they have.
    So domes in Detroit and Minn could have real grass just … like…. ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Certainly! �� Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, despite being a dome, boasts a natural grass field. Here’s how it works:

The grass field is mounted on a track with wheels.
    This movable field can be rolled in and out of the stadium to receive sunlight when needed.
    The NFL grows the grass for the Super Bowl years in advance, using a hybrid grass that takes two years to mature.
    Ahead of Super Bowl 58, the grass field was laid on Allegiant Stadium’s track, ensuring optimal conditions for the game1.
    So, even under the dome, players get to experience the thrill of real grass beneath their feet! ����

Maintaining natural grass in a dome stadium requires careful planning and specialized techniques. Here are some key aspects of grass maintenance in such stadiums:

Lighting and Sun Exposure:
    Since domes block natural sunlight, stadium managers use artificial lighting systems to simulate sunlight for the grass.
    These systems provide the necessary photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) to support grass growth.
    The grass receives light exposure during non-game hours to maintain its health.

Just a tidbit. The rest is easily available.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I chose Detroit and Minnesota specifically because the rail system wouldn’t work in winter .

Thanks
    Thanked 11,705 Times in 7,763 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus. You just can't get a simple concept through your Luddite head, can you?????

It's TOTALLY IRRELEVANT that no American NFL dome stadium has grass that is grown inside TODAY!!!!

The POINT that you refuse to comprehend is that is is EXTREMELY POSSIBLE and VIABLE. What it is going to take to get it done is the NFLPA to FORCE the issue.

The arguments from owners (and other skeptics) that requiring grass in all NFL stadiums is "too expensive" or "not feasible in domes" is TOTAL BALONEY!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    He can't. But watch his bull**** dance around the question.

No "bull****" and no "dance around the question.". Just the facts, common sense and glaringly obvious reality.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    Duh!!! Of course "There is no reason cost or ability wise why every stadium cannot have real grass".

Cost is a FAKE excuse.

I already posted the facts on cost vs team revenue and put into terms that are easy to understand (to those that want to understand), that a $2M annual increase in cost is the equivalent to $344.23 to a family living on a $100,000 annual income.

Increase the expense and the math STILL shows how insipid and false the "it costs to much" canard.

Let's say that grass field costs $2M more PER GAME over turf (it doesn't even come close to that, but for arguments sake)....so....say TEN GAMES.....that means the annual expense is equivalent to $3,442.30 to a family living on a $100,000 annual income.

Pocket change to each and every NFL team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Jesus. You just can't get a simple concept through your Luddite head, can you?????

It's TOTALLY IRRELEVANT that no American NFL dome stadium has grass that is grown inside TODAY!!!!

The POINT that you refuse to comprehend is that is is EXTREMELY POSSIBLE and VIABLE. What it is going to take to get it done is the NFLPA to FORCE the issue.

The arguments from owners (and other skeptics) that requiring grass in all NFL stadiums is "too expensive" or "not feasible in domes" is TOTAL BALONEY!!!!
    I said football . Could be college for that matter. You saying it is viable and possible doesn’t make it so until somewhere there is grass grown indoors that can handle football.

how can you not get that simple point. Scribbles on paper do not make it so.

you are wrong until someone does it. I am right until someone does it.

the lunatic is on the grass.
    Remembering games and Daisy chains and laughs… got to keep the looney’s on the path.

Pink Floyd Lyrics added to lengthen post so Nottie thinks enough effort put in to crushing his argument yet again.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I said football . Could be college for that matter. You saying it is viable and possible doesn’t make it so until somewhere there is grass grown indoors that can handle football.

how can you not get that simple point. Scribbles on paper do not make it so.

you are wrong until someone does it. I am right until someone does it.

the lunatic is on the grass.
    Remembering games and Daisy chains and laughs… got to keep the looney’s on the path.

Pink Floyd Lyrics added to lengthen post so Nottie thinks enough effort put in to crushing his argument yet again.

More silly and totally non-logic logic.

Sorry, but the whole idea that "you are wrong until someone does it. I am right until someone does it." is so absurd and ludicrous. I mean, it's just downright dumb.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You will be wrong for a long long time. Meanwhile I’ll bask in my rightness.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Duh!!! Of course "There is no reason cost or ability wise why every stadium cannot have real grass".

Cost is a FAKE excuse.

I already posted the facts on cost vs team revenue and put into terms that are easy to understand (to those that want to understand), that a $2M annual increase in cost is the equivalent to $344.23 to a family living on a $100,000 annual income.

Increase the expense and the math STILL shows how insipid and false the "it costs to much" canard.

Let's say that grass field costs $2M more PER GAME over turf (it doesn't even come close to that, but for arguments sake)....so....say TEN GAMES.....that means the annual expense is equivalent to $3,442.30 to a family living on a $100,000 annual income.

Pocket change to each and every NFL team.
    Is there a domed stadium anywhere in the world that has a grass field that doesn't use a tray system like in Arizona or LV?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Is there a domed stadium anywhere in the world that has a grass field that doesn't use a tray system like in Arizona or LV?
    Irrelevant. I have addressed that canard several times.

In fact, the whole question "Is there a domed stadium anywhere in the world that has a grass field that doesn't use a tray system like in Arizona or LV?" is a canard since (as far as I can tell) there are NO domed stadiums in use outside the US for major professional soccer or rugby. If you can find one, let us know.

In FACT, in order for the FIFA World Cup to be played US stadiums, they MUST install grass whether they are a dome or not. Most major international soccer leagues REQUIRE a grass field.

The MAIN REASON that NFL teams do not "grow grass in a dome" besides using a tray system like Arizona and LV is because the NFL does NOT REQUIRE GRASS FIELDS (Like I believe they SHOULD).

When the NFLPA makes it a priority in CBA negotiations, (that could very well come to fruition when the current CBA expires in March 2020) and they DO force the NFL to REQUIRE grass fields, we will see domed stadiums having grass fields....whether they use the extremely viable LED lighting system or incorporate a tray system will be the only question.

You are falling into the same hole of narrow minded thinking and deeply flawed logic (actually the almost total LACK of logic) that sukie is (and as he does global warming, fossil fuel use and the viability of EV's).

You will be wrong for a long long time. Meanwhile I’ll bask in my rightness.

You make a good pimp for cheapskate NFL owners that do not care about player health...just like you make a good pimp for oil and coal companies....and you would have made a good pimp for horse breeders and horse and buggy manufacturers about 120 years ago. (because of your similar flawed logic and narrow mindedness about the viability of EV's)

Again, this kind of narrow mindedness and flawed logic are eerily similar to these famous "predictions"....

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”
    Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

“Television won’t be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.”
    Darryl Zanuck, executive at 20th Century Fox, 1946

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
    Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

“Almost all of the many predictions now being made about 1996 hinge on the Internet’s continuing exponential growth. But I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse.”
    Robert Metcalfe, founder of 3Com, 1995

“Apple is already dead.”
    Nathan Myhrvold, former Microsoft CTO, 1997

“Two years from now, spam will be solved.”
    Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, 2004

Maybe the all-time narrow-minded, shortsighted baloney….

"There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It’s a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I’d prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get."
    Steve Ballmer CEO Microsoft 2007 before iPhone was introduced.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Irrelevant. I have addressed that canard several times.

In fact, the whole question "Is there a domed stadium anywhere in the world that has a grass field that doesn't use a tray system like in Arizona or LV?" is a canard since (as far as I can tell) there are NO domed stadiums in use outside the US for major professional soccer or rugby. If you can find one, let us know.

In FACT, in order for the FIFA World Cup to be played US stadiums, they MUST install grass whether they are a dome or not. Most major international soccer leagues REQUIRE a grass field.

The MAIN REASON that NFL teams do not "grow grass in a dome" besides using a tray system like Arizona and LV is because the NFL does NOT REQUIRE GRASS FIELDS (Like I believe they SHOULD).

When the NFLPA makes it a priority in CBA negotiations, (that could very well come to fruition when the current CBA expires in March 2020) and they DO force the NFL to REQUIRE grass fields, we will see domed stadiums having grass fields....whether they use the extremely viable LED lighting system or incorporate a tray system will be the only question.

You are falling into the same hole of narrow minded thinking and deeply flawed logic (actually the almost total LACK of logic) that sukie is (and as he does global warming, fossil fuel use and the viability of EV's).
    So the answer would be "no." Thank you.

17. Post thanked by:

sukie (02-19-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LOL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That is FALSE!!!!

The answer is "as far as I can tell there are NO domed stadiums in use outside the US for major professional soccer or rugby. If you can find one, let us know"

In any event it is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT CANARD.

My premise, which no one has come close to refuting, is that the reasons given to NOT require grass fields in the NFL are BOGUS!!!! From it "costing too much"....NONSENSE....to "you can't maintain grass filed is a dome"...total GARBAGE. THAT is being done ALREADY (on a limited basis).

In FACT, the Bills game in England is an example of how a grass field can be maintained without the sun. The Tottenham Hostspur stadium has a turf field UNDER the grass field (like every professional soccer team, they play on grass...NOT turf). They move the grass field UNDER a CAR PARK next to the stadium when they have concerts and, believe it or not, NFL football games.

Yeah...the same ****ty turf field that the players LOUDLY denounced as being like "F--king Cement".

The grass field is maintained under the car park with automatic grass cutting, watering and...OF COURSE LIKE I SAID...LED lighting. The stadium itself has integrated "Stadium Grow Lighting" that assists maintaining grass. If you can "maintain a grass" for two weeks (at least) field with LED lighting you can maintain it for a NFL season.

I have no ****ing clue why you and sukie are ****ting on NFL player's well being and health. It's inexplicable.

NFL field surfaces are a growing concern to players as evidenced by the subject of this thread...."92% of NFL players want grass field". Why are you spitting in their faces and disrespecting them????

WOW!!!

Maybe you are of the mindset of "shut up and play"?!?!?

There are several ways that the NFL can (and I suspect almost assuredly WILL eventually) REQUIRE GRASS FIELDS FOR ALL NFL GAMES.

First of all the advent of "hybrid grass" where synthetic fibers are used to fortify the grass has been in use in Green Bay and Philadelphia for years . It will probably be the field surface in the new Bills stadium.

When the 2030 CBA negotiations start, it is quite easy to see the trade off of starting the movement to grass in exchange for what the owners want BADLY....a 18 game season. With two bye weeks. The wear and tear of every NFL player's body BECAUSE of turf field are a pretty big factor in why 17 game season is difficult. Not surprisingly the two Super Bowl teams this year also had some of the fewest number of games missed by starters....both KC and San Fran have grass fields.

The change would not have to be immediate. There are 15 out of 30 stadiums (two stadiums have two teams, NY and LA) that do not play on grass. Seven of those stadiums can be immediately changed without much muss or fuss simply requiring that every stadium that is open air and has turf change to grass. That involves these seven...

Carolina's Bank of America Stadium
    Cincinnati Bengals Paycor Stdium
    New England Patriots Gillette Stadium
    NY Giants/Jets Metlife Stadium (there is talk of them keeping the grass field that will be installed in order to host the FIFA Word Cup in 2026)
    Seattle Seahawks Lumen Field
    Tennessee Titans Nissan Stadium

Although the Buffalo Bills stadium has turf today, it will be grass in the new stadium....so that means six open air stadiums could immediately be required to install grass.

There are eight NFL domed stadiums....most of which have a retractable roof, or in the case of SoFi...a translucent roof, letting plenty of sunshine in....

Atlanta Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Retractable
    Dallas AT&T Stadium - Retractable
    Detroit Ford Field
    Houston NRG Stadium - Retractable
    Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium - Retractable
    Los Angeles SoFi Stadium
    Minnesota U.S. Bank Stadium
    New Orleans Caesars Superdome

Atlanta, LA, Houston dome stadiums are installing temporary grass fields to host 2026 FIFA world cup. Two other open air stadiums are installing grass to do the same...New England and NJ/NY.

A retractable dome would make grass field much simpler to maintain.

That leaves only FOUR dome stadiums, without retractable roof that installing grass field would be more problematic but ABSOLUTELY EXTREMELY POSSIBLE!!!!!

More likely would be the simple requirement that ANY new stadium MUST HAVE GRASS FIELD!!!! A grandfathering model.

The four domes that do not have a retractable roof are....

Detroit Ford Field - 22 years old
    Los Angeles SoFi Stadium (but roof is translucent) - 4 years old
    Minnesota U.S. Bank Stadium - 8 years old
    New Orleans Caesars Superdome - 53 years old.

It's still astounding that they spend $5 BILLION on SoFi and refused to put a grass field. Jesus. Make them install a tray system if they don't want to go the LED (the roof is translucent so it would not take much)

Detroit & New Orleans will probably want to build new stadiums in the next 10+ years (the CBA expires in 6 years). Minnesota would just have to go to LED and grow light system.

My premise that requiring grass field in the NFL is not only is desirable, but extremely viable goes non-refuted.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I stopped after no stadiums with non retracting domes grow grass without the rail system.

it is not proven that it can be done and saying it is with bold text scattered through 9 paragraphs doesn’t change that fact.

soccer is not as hard on natural grass as football is.

it is “no” until someone shows that it can be done. Don’t put up the Tottenham field as an example. Milano will crack you in the mouth.

21. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (02-21-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I stopped after no stadiums with non retracting domes grow grass without the rail system.

it is not proven that it can be done and saying it is with bold text scattered through 9 paragraphs doesn’t change that fact.

soccer is not as hard on natural grass as football is.

it is “no” until someone shows that it can be done. Don’t put up the Tottenham field as an example. Milano will crack you in the mouth.
    Of course you did.

You don't want to know the facts and are stuck into your narrow minded position that ****s on players, besides the fact that you cannot come close refuting my premises.

It is NOT a "no" and it already HAS been shown that it can be done. You are just too blind to to see it and too stubborn to admit it.

Whatever, I don't need you to see reality (or read my spot on posts) nor do I need to to admit that your mindset is child-like and your refusal show any shred of intellectual honesty has you mired in the same sort of small-minded tunnel vision illustrated by the ludicrous quotes questioning the future of TV's, computers and the iPhone that have not aged very well, like wine that turned to vinegar.

The facts and unerring logic stands on it's own.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The FACTS are that the technology to grow grass indoors in Minnesota strong enough to handle football doesn’t exist outside the drawing board.