Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    The FACTS are that the technology to grow grass indoors in Minnesota strong enough to handle football doesn’t exist outside the drawing board.
    Total unmitigated NONSENSE!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,192 Times in 5,919 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Total unmitigated NONSENSE!!!!!
    List the stadiums then. The ones attempting or have succeeded in growing Football ready grass indoors without roof retraction or a rail system. I will wait.

if there isn’t any then it isn’t me spewing nonsense in an unmitigated error.

just a list. No need for paragraphs.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

List the stadiums then. The ones attempting or have succeeded in growing Football ready grass indoors without roof retraction or a rail system. I will wait.

Yeah, if it can be done, why install even more expensive retractable roofs or tray/rail systems?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I already went through many of the possibilities and realities. You admit to not even reading my full posts.

This is going nowhere...so, I'll leave you to your own bully button gazing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because growing nfl grass indoors isn’t a thing without retracting a roof and if a rail system. You said it yourself…possibilities.

take your L.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because growing nfl grass indoors isn’t a thing without retracting a roof and if a rail system. You said it yourself…possibilities.

take your L.
    I have to respond to this dishonest lack of logic or common sense before I look away as you continue gazing at your bellybutton.

Yes, I am talking about the “possibilities” of maintaining a grass field inside a dome that does not have a retractable roof or a tray system….in reality that (as of today) is only TWO stadiums. Detroit's Ford Field & New Orleans Superdome…...Minnesota's U.S. Bank Stadium & Los Angeles' SoFi Stadium feature translucent roofs that let in a considerable amount of natural sunlight.

My undeniable premise is that IS “POSSIBLE” TODAY!!!!! Absolutely and without any shred of doubt, even in Ford Field and The Superdome.

I am not saying (in ANY way, shape or form) that ANY stadium IS doing that today.

Your total lack of any shred of common sense and non-logic is YOU saying that since no domed stadium without a retractable roof or a tray system that somehow, illogically and stupidly means that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

THAT IS SILLY FALSE RUBBISH.

Additionally, I have said, several times, that the NFL owners will NOT do what IS possible (and not as expensive as they claim…installing and maintaining grass field in all stadiums) irrespective of it being in a closed dome UNTIL FORCED TO DO SO BY THE NFL.

In all likelihood, that will NOT come to pass until the NFLPA insists on it…possibly in the 2030 CBA.

There is NO “loss” for me to take. How lame and childish.

YOU need take ownership of misrepresenting my premise and having a narrow mindedness that, for all intents and purposes, defends and makes excuses for filthy rich NFL owners while ****ting on players health, well-being and preferences in their work environment that very well could extend their careers and make them more effective players in a long NFL season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The angle of sunlight hitting the translucent roof in Minnesota in the months mid November to spring does not afford enough grow worthy sunlight. Has it been tested to allow enough vital light in during summer months? It’s not just light that is needed. The correct light but you knew that.

so possibilities are realities? Mmmkay.

(take the L)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If they can grow huge fields of weed inside they can grow huge fields of any kind of grass inside. If we can get a grip on fusion maybe we can grow wheat crops when the next ice age gets here.

9. Post thanked by:

Historian (02-25-2024),notacon (02-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    If they can grow huge fields of weed inside they can grow huge fields of any kind of grass inside. If we can get a grip on fusion maybe we can grow wheat crops when the next ice age gets here.
    Then why did Arizona and LV install expensive tray/rail systems?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The angle of sunlight hitting the translucent roof in Minnesota in the months mid November to spring does not afford enough grow worthy sunlight. Has it been tested to allow enough vital light in during summer months? It’s not just light that is needed. The correct light but you knew that.

so possibilities are realities? Mmmkay.

(take the L)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post

Maybe the NFL can play on this surface that they installed in MetLife Stadium last week....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Then why did Arizona and LV install expensive tray/rail systems?
    Of course you have to ask them.

But thee are several reasonable reasons why.

First, it was not that expensive. In LV case about $21M that is all inclusive. The rail system is only a part of that cost. Depending on the exact surface and type of fill it costs up to $10M to install a turf field. And there are still maintenance costs although not as much as grass.

With the reality that both Arizona and Las Vegas have about 300 days of sunshine it's not necessarily cost effective (over the long haul) to install and power artificial lighting. Like WHY would they do that with 300+ days of sunshine??? DUH!!!!

Most importantly, (especially in Las Vegas) the venue is used for a myriad of non-football events...including HUGE concerts including Elton Josh, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rolling Stones (in 2021 coming back in 2024) and Billy Joel with Sting in 2024 (my wife and I are considering going to that one), 57th Academy of Country Music Awards, Monster Truck Show and WWE Summer Slam which all have a stage, seating and thousand of fans on the field area.

Instead of having to protect the field (or deal with extensive damage from these events) it's easier and cheaper to just roll the field out and use the concrete foundation to hold these events.

The point is not that maintaining a grass field inside a dome with LED lighting is desirable or a more suitable option than using a tray system, the point is that it is absolutely POSSIBLE TODAY!!!!

As I surmised in another post, this change can be done over time, starting with the decision to FORCE NFL stadiums to have grass...possibly in 2030 via the next NFL CBA.

First require the SIX open air stadiums that use turf today to install grass immediately. EASY PEASY!!!!

Second, REQUIRE that ANY new stadium has a grass field. Third, (without massive changes) supplement, with LED's the natural light that already is there in SIX stadiums that have either a retractable roof or translucent roof.

In reality, that leaves just TWO stadiums that are pure, closed, non translucent roof that pose the biggest problems....Detroit Ford Filed (22 years old today) and New Orleans Superdome (53 years old today).

It would be easy to suspect that both of these cites would, after 2030, agree to build new stadiums that make the use of grass easier. Stadium use is NOT static. Any owner with a stadium older than 20 years (in 2030) will almost assuredly be pining for a new one.

The issue with the naysayers and skeptics is (once again it is very apparent) are steeped in narrow, short sighted lack of vision.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW sukie, the "correct light" is easier to provide with LED lighting (complete control over intensity, duration and, most critically, color spectrum) than relying of the fickle sun.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW sukie, the "correct light" is easier to provide with LED lighting (complete control over intensity, duration and, most critically, color spectrum) than relying of the fickle sun.
    and that had been applied to indoor football stadiums where? Oh on a napkin at a bar somewhere.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe the NFL can play on this surface that they installed in MetLife Stadium last week....

Grow Lighting was perfect to crystallize water. It’s all about the LEDs

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and that had been applied to indoor football stadiums where? Oh on a napkin at a bar somewhere.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nice dodge.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Nice dodge.
    No "dodge"....I already easily brushed aside your lame arguments and narrow, short-sighted closed minded baloney.

Just go back and read everything I wrote on this thread...it destroys the insipid rubbish you have tried on. Of course, you already admit to not actually reading what I write, so you are content with being mired in your own ignorance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If grass could be grown feasibly in enclosed stadiums without a tray system, they'd be doing it already. Otherwise the Cardinals and Raiders wouldn't have gone through the added and significant extra expense of installing said tray systems.

Grass is better when it's not frigid and early in the season. Outside of those, AT is probably better.

I'm glad the Bills are going to a heated grass field with the new stadium. It will help attract players from a greater pool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    If grass could be grown feasibly in enclosed stadiums without a tray system, they'd be doing it already. Otherwise the Cardinals and Raiders wouldn't have gone through the added and significant extra expense of installing said tray systems.

Grass is better when it's not frigid and early in the season. Outside of those, AT is probably better.

I'm glad the Bills are going to a heated grass field with the new stadium. It will help attract players from a greater pool.
    I think the added and extra expense actually ends up being less because you don't have to generate any power to create the right environment for the grass.