Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Thanks
    Thanked 5,966 Times in 3,508 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    My favorite billionaire is putting in a grass field for the players.
    lol

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    The common sense part is that no individual fan has ANY power. You could be furious about the league doing x,y or z and it simply doesn't make any difference unless you have millions and millions of others that agree and feel very strongly about it, whatever IT might be. With something like the NFL that would take something so drastic it's hard to even think of an example. Maybe an official corruption scandal? Advising people to not watch is pointless.
    Never about a single fan and I didn’t advise anybody to watch or not watch.

What I said is that if Nottie going to demean and dismiss another poster then he should at least have the decency to actually care about what he says and not just let the words ring hollow by his own actions.

We can say we care about player safety, but we all watched Hamlin nearly die on the field and then turned right around and kept watching. It’s just bull**** and blame shifting, our collective inability to be honest about that is one of the worst parts of fan culture.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    What "original point"???

Lamely blaming the FANS (so obtuse and silly) for the NFL not requiring grass fields???? Or, the even more inane and incredibly ludicrous, as Gooby observed "you shouldn't watch the game at all like DB suggested"

Please. Stop with the the drama. It's dumb.
    I never said watch or don’t watch nor was it about grass fields.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,104 Times in 3,583 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol
    He is.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,741 Times in 7,792 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol

Maybe I should have said "...ONE of your favorite billionaires".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I never said watch or don’t watch nor was it about grass fields.
    What lame whining because your absurd (filed) insult that I am guilty of "theatrics"....with a dishonest misrepresentation of what I wrote.

I did not say that you said "watch or don't; watch"...what I DID say was 100% accurate...."...as Gooby observed "you shouldn't watch the game at all like DB suggested"

The fact is that when one presents very reasonable, coherent, common sense and accurate premise, and backs it up with a plethora of credible sources, labeling it "theatrics" simply because you cannot refute any of it is, in fact, an example of "theatrics"

- - - Updated - - -

What I said is that if Nottie going to demean and dismiss another poster then he should at least have the decency to actually care about what he says and not just let the words ring hollow by his own actions.

We can say we care about player safety, but we all watched Hamlin nearly die on the field and then turned right around and kept watching. It’s just bull**** and blame shifting, our collective inability to be honest about that is one of the worst parts of fan culture.

More bull****.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dude most of your post exchanges devolve into this netherworld where you don't know what you've typed or even the point you're trying to make, exhausting.

8. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-09-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dude most of your post exchanges devolve into this netherworld where you don't know what you've typed or even the point you're trying to make, exhausting.
    If you’d like to point out where you think I said don’t watch or watch then you can try that, but I’m very aware of what I actually said. What I can’t control for is how you or somebody else choose to infer the words that are typed.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,876 Times in 3,519 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This happens to everyone who argues with the zone’s resident crybaby. It’s not just DB.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Would the players consider striking about this? Some are so wealthy, they could bankroll the vet min/UDFA players who actually need the money for a year even two.

To even suggest that 100M nfl fans could organize themselves and force action is laughable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    This happens to everyone who argues with the zone’s resident crybaby. It’s not just DB.
    Good to see that you are self aware.

You came to this thread, not to offer up anything of value to say or add to the discussions, but rather to cry and whine over your obsession with the me. It's sad...for you.

I'm living rent free in your head...it's a lonely place to be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    Would the players consider striking about this? Some are so wealthy, they could bankroll the vet min/UDFA players who actually need the money for a year even two.

To even suggest that 100M nfl fans could organize themselves and force action is laughable.
    A reasonable question.

The possibility of a strike over field surface? Very unlikely. Here is a list of "NFL Labor history since 1968" (up to 2011).

The impetuous for all labor strife between NFL players and owners has been over free agency (or better understood as how much control does a NFL team have over a NFL player's career and movement between teams) and money.

The players have a pretty good record of getting much of what they want in these two critical areas, with (more or less) reasonable concessions with the owners.

Free agency is now a given, within the negotiated parameters. Long gone are the days that an owner basically "owning" each player.

Money sharing with players is now codified into each CBA, where the average salary of players has skyrocketed (justifiably) with the concession to the owners of the Cap system. A set percentage of the total revenue of all the teams is now a given. The negotiating today is nibbling at the edges of what "income" is included and tweaking of the percentage.

I remember when OJ Simpson held out (he had NO recourse except to withhold his services) and Ralph Wilson dug in. OJ sat out before the 1976 season. He forced Wilson to offer up a contract that made him the highest paid NFL player.

Reportedly it was a series of three one-year contracts worth a total of $2.5M. That is $13.6M in 2023 dollars. Or, $4.5M a year. In 1979, when OJ retired, he was the NFL's highest paid player at $806,668.

That's $3.4M in 2023 dollars.

Today, the highest paid player is Joe Burrow...$55M a year....SIXTEEN TIMES MORE! $3.4M today would place him at #17 for RB's (Najee Harris on a rookie controlled contract) while RB's value has plummeted.

WR's today (the equivalent of yesteryear's RB's) $3.4M would be the 60th ranked pay.

Money will continue to be the main negotiation point for the NFLPA, as gambling money and other streams of revenue will be a point of contention to be included in the set percentage of revenue the players get.

Field surface is very likely to be an issue for the 2030 CBA negotiations, if not before. I have already suggested a possible negotiations for the 2030 CBA where field surface could be an issue. Grass fields in exchange for an 18th game....take away one preseason game and add a second bye for each team. That would make international games easier to schedule as well.

There is little reason to think that ANY issue will be critical enough for the players to even consider striking. They already have (more or less) won most of what they want as the pay is enormous even for fringe players (as it should be) and even the amount of practice time or how training camp is conducted is negotiated and enshrined in the CBA.

Striking is the last resort when the issue is so critical (money and freedom to move from team to team) and the parties are so far apart that the acrimony is so bitter that the two sides cannot get even close to an agreement. The gravy trains is SO good for both sides, it makes little sense to let it get even close to that dire.

Another very possible way forward is pretty simple. Every new stadium must have grass field. And every outdoor turf field be transitioned to grass (including hybrid grass like GB) ASAP.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 6,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Football should be played on grass that becomes mud when it rains.
    WR Coleman #33 DB Bishop #60 DT Carter #95 RB Davis #128 C Granger #141
    LB Ulofoshio #160 DE Solomon #168
    OT Grable #204 CB Hardy #219 OT Clayton #221

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll take one more stab at understanding your point: if you care about issues such as safety as a fan you're not really serious unless you stop watching or buying gear. You've said this twice now. Here is your earlier quote "For as passionate an argument as you want to make you’re not stopping your viewing, buying of merch, or attending games over this issue. Which is why nothing changes, same with the refs, and the other litany of items that fans love to complain about, but aren’t willing to do anything about."

Is that your point or no? If it isn't don't bother trying to explain what it is because it means what you type is literally indecipherable. If that is your point I would say what Noty or anyone else does as a fan won't change anything. As passionate as Noty may be he's not Dr. King starting a movement over grass fields. "I have a dream...."

16. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-11-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'll take one more stab at understanding your point: if you care about issues such as safety as a fan you're not really serious unless you stop watching or buying gear. You've said this twice now. Here is your earlier quote "For as passionate an argument as you want to make you’re not stopping your viewing, buying of merch, or attending games over this issue. Which is why nothing changes, same with the refs, and the other litany of items that fans love to complain about, but aren’t willing to do anything about."

Is that your point or no? If it isn't don't bother trying to explain what it is because it means what you type is literally indecipherable. If that is your point I would say what Noty or anyone else does as a fan won't change anything. As passionate as Noty may be he's not Dr. King starting a movement over grass fields. "I have a dream...."
    Spot on Bill.

What has DB's panties in a illogical twist is when I wrote this (several times) "WHY are you (the silly rebuttals to the idea of requiring NFL games be played on grass....that is supported by 92% of NFL players) taking the side of GREEDY NFL owners and, basically, ****TING AL OVER the players, their well being, health and preferences for their work environment?!?!?!"

My premise is 100% accurate because the push-back against grass fields IS, in fact, "taking the side of greedy owners" and, at the same time it IS, in fact, ****TING AL OVER the players, their well being, health and preferences for their work environment. It is undeniable.

The premise that DB is putting forward and you have detailed and surmised perfectly with...."if you care about issues such as safety as a fan you're not really serious unless you stop watching or buying gear."

THAT premise is silly to the nth degree and just plain dumb.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You’re limiting the options of things that can be done to just two actions for whatever reason. That’s not the only actions that can be taken to demonstrate care for the issue beyond just complaining about it.

As you may recall earlier in the thread I also said there are lots of of things that can be done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You’re limiting the options of things that can be done to just two actions for whatever reason. That’s not the only actions that can be taken to demonstrate care for the issue beyond just complaining about it.

As you may recall earlier in the thread I also said there are lots of of things that can be done.
    Nothing you've said would make any difference. If it would please explain how.

20. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-11-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 6,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The fact that multiple NFL stadiums will convert to pristine, high-end grass surfaces in order to host FIFA World Cup games makes the argument tougher for the league. But it all comes down to bargaining power. If NFL venues want to host those matches, NFL venues must have acceptable grass surfaces.
    For NFL games, there’s no equivalent business impetus for the owners to do what the players want. It’s something that could, in theory, be handled at the bargaining table. If it’s an issue on which management simply won’t yield, then the players would have to be willing to strike over it.
    They likely won’t.
    That’s the biggest problem for the NFLPA. The owners can and will shut the sport down for a year to get what they want. The players won’t.
    Until they will, they likely won’t be getting grass in all stadiums — unless they make some other major concession that the owners deem to be a fair tradeoff.

NFLPA president Jalen Reeves-Maybin believes shift to grass fields "can happen" - NBC Sports

22. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-18-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks for this Woody. These paragraphs from the article stood out for me...

Players want grass. New NFL Players Association president and Lions linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin thinks it’s possible to get grass in every NFL stadium.

“We see right now they’re changing all the fields for soccer to come over (for the World Cup) and soccer players don’t play on turf,” Reeves-Maybin tells Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free-Press. “I think it’s definitely a thing that can happen, and it’s proven to be a safer and healthier option. I think as time’s gone on, we’ve put player safety, health and safety to the forefront, and I think the surface that we play on plays a huge part in that.”

It can happen, in theory. But it won’t be easy.

It will be expensive, especially in closed-roof stadiums that don’t have a field that can be slid outside and properly grown and maintained, with real sunlight.

The fact that multiple NFL stadiums will convert to pristine, high-end grass surfaces in order to host FIFA World Cup games makes the argument tougher for the league. But it all comes down to bargaining power. If NFL venues want to host those matches, NFL venues must have acceptable grass surfaces.
    The article that is linked to in that quote puts the issue exactly where I suspected it might end up....

New NFLPA president Jalen Reeves-Maybin talks 18-game schedule, banning turf fields

Hmmmmmmm....."it all comes down to "bargaining power". The players want grass fields....the owners want an 18 game schedule.

It's not surprising that these two issues are highlighted as they sure seem like the "bargaining power" for each side to get what they want.

The CBA expires in 2030. Stand by.

24. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (03-18-2024),Woodman (03-18-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sukie please explain what the difference between soccer grass and football grass is or why you think only less sturdy grass could be grown in a dome. That's the part of the back and forth in this thread I had trouble following. But then again my college didn't offer a major in Turfgrass so I don't claim to know that much about grass.

My speculation would be that almost all plants need a combination of the right light and the right water so you should be able to grow virtually any variety of grass you want with the right light but you seem to think otherwise. The fact that it hasn't been done for football yet isn't by itself a persuasive argument. They haven't put computer chips in footballs to see if the ball crossed the goal line either but that doesn't mean they can't. My guess is this is about money pure and simple.

26. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-19-2024)