• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Originally posted by Nota's article
    Grass fields in all stadiums would create an expense that the league doesn’t want to incur, especially at a time when it’s pinching pennies with NFL Network programming and luring long-time employees to take buyouts and leave.
    I know this is off the topic, but I would like to hear more about this too.

Pinching pennies?

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Employee buyouts?

How many people work for the NFLN? A few dozen? Mostly reporter types. Many ex-jocks.

Given the ****ty officiating....the obscene PSLs....the ridiculously priced merchandise....the watered down schedule....etc....etc....

At some point, people are just going to throw their hands up and say, screw this, and the league is going to collapse on itself.

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Key word: Obscene.

This is what I don't get, and I agree with you 100% on this.

How would this even affect their pocketbooks?

The teams split the tv money equitably, and that money pays all salaries and operational costs. (At least I thought it did)

Most stadiums are built and maintained with taxpayer funds in the first place. (aka corporate welfare)

This league makes BILLIONS. How does any of this hurt their revenues?

Seems to me that it would be a drop in the bucket to do the right thing.
      "Obscene" is spot on!!!!

This is what makes it SO frustrating.

As I already accurately observed........"As I already posted in detail, the increased cost is relative PEANUTS to every NFL team. The "$4 to $5 million a year to maintain" a grass field inside a dome is the equivalent as a family with $100,000 income spending $688 to $860 a year."

Astounding pure greediness.
      There is NOTHING to prevent the NFL from mandating grass field for every NFL game, EXCEPT MONEY!!!!! The undeniable proof is the FACT that several NFL DOMES will install grass in order to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup soccer tournament.

EIGHT
      NFL stadiums are replacing their artificial crap to grass in order to host the FIFA, FIVE are DOMES!!!!

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
        "Obscene" is spot on!!!!

This is what makes it SO frustrating.

As I already accurately observed........"As I already posted in detail, the increased cost is relative PEANUTS to every NFL team. The "$4 to $5 million a year to maintain" a grass field inside a dome is the equivalent as a family with $100,000 income spending $688 to $860 a year."

Astounding pure greediness.
        There is NOTHING to prevent the NFL from mandating grass field for every NFL game, EXCEPT MONEY!!!!! The undeniable proof is the FACT that several NFL DOMES will install grass in order to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup soccer tournament.

EIGHT
        NFL stadiums are replacing their artificial crap to grass in order to host the FIFA, FIVE are DOMES!!!!
        I would think the world cup is actually a sterner test of grass in a dome than an NFL schedule would be which is every other week on average. When you consider a lot of teams swap out the grass every month or so already. So the grass can't stand up for 2 NFL games indoors? Calling BS on that.

Comment

• sukie
          • Sep 2012

Prancing around on a pitch with the occasional slide ? Ve 300 plus pound men crushing each other at the line of scrimmage up and down the field ? Football is rougher on turf.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
            I would think the world cup is actually a sterner test of grass in a dome than an NFL schedule would be which is every other week on average. When you consider a lot of teams swap out the grass every month or so already. So the grass can't stand up for 2 NFL games indoors? Calling BS on that.
            It's really TOTALLY irreverent if soccer or football is harder on a grass field.

As of today, half of NFL teams play on grass...soon to be a majority when the Bills open their new stadium and even more if Met Life decides to make the change to grass permanent after the FIFA like they should.

There is almost universal agreement by the people that actually play on the surface, you know, NFL players, that grass is exponentially preferred over artificial crap.

Two of those stadiums (Green Bay & Philly) use a hybrid system which is grass fortified with turf. Perfect for harsher climates.

Yes, grass fields are regularly replaced with fresh grass turf, grown on farms (usually) from California. There is hardly any difference between maintaining a grass field in an open air stadium than one in a dome....except money.

The relative quality of any field is more dependent on how it is maintained.

There are NO credible arguments against mandating all NFL games be played on grass. NONE. ZERO, NADA. ZILCH.

Comment

• sukie
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by notacon

Yes, grass fields are regularly replaced with fresh grass turf, grown on farms (usually) from California. There is hardly any difference between maintaining a grass field in an open air stadium than one in a dome....except money.
              What dome has grass maintained completely indoors. List them.

Comment

• notacon
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                What dome has grass maintained completely indoors. List them.
                sukie going 'round and 'round and 'round...and STILL not getting it...

Comment

• sukie
                  • Sep 2012

Can’t give examples. It’s okay. Maybe the tech will catch up to your whims.

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

BTW sukie, I have already knocked down all of your lame arguments....the latest too...the strawman baloney "What dome has grass maintained completely indoors. List them."

If you read my all of each one of of my posts on this thread (all the way though not just Cliff notes skimming) it's all there already.

Hint...it's unnecessary to use the word "grass" in your silly query.

Another hint....just because something is not being done, does not prove, in the least, that it can't be done.

That's like asking "What humans have walked on the surface of Mars. List them."

...or....in the 50's asking....

"What humans have walked on the surface of the Moon. List them."

....or....in the 70's asking....

"What households have a computer in their home. List them."

...or......in also in the 70's asking....

"What regular folks are using a network of computers using phone lines to communicate with each other (hint: the internet). List them."

...or.....in the 80's asking....

"What regular folks are using computers and the internet (what existed then) to communicate with each other (via the internet) that enabled them to upload a profile and make friends with other users (hint: Social Media) List them."

BTW...the additional (like I said, I have already addressed this lame argument) answer to "What dome has grass maintained completely indoors. List them."...in 2026 will be:

Atlanta Mercedes-Benz Stadium
                    Dallas AT&T Stadium
                    Houston NRG Stadium
                    Los Angeles SoFi Stadium

Don't try to use the canard that it will be for a short period of time. These domes will maintain their grass field for about 2 months. If it can be done for 2 months it can be done for 4/5 months.

I suggest you stop going 'round and 'round making yourself dizzy with flawed logic and stop acting like a narrow minded, shortsighted Luddite.

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Can’t give examples. It’s okay. Maybe the tech will catch up to your whims.
                      I was typing when you posted this additional canard.

I just did give examples (besides the obvious ones in 2026)....accept the challenge of....I even gave you some hints....

If you read my all of each one of of my posts on this thread (all the way though not just Cliff notes skimming) it's all there already.

Hint...it's unnecessary to use the word "grass" in your silly query. (
                      In FACT the "tech" is already being used and has been in use for many years.)

.....and also explained why "giving examples" is irrelevant......Another hint....just because something is not being done, does not prove, in the least, that it can't be done.

Comment

• sukie
                        • Sep 2012

Just a city where located and use of the enclosed dome not buried in a wall of filler.

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

Just a city where located and use of the enclosed dome not buried in a wall of filler.
                          Huh???

Jesus sukie, you lost this argument on the first page. Not one of your objections is relevant or credible. It's ALL about money.

Give it up.

Comment

• sukie
                            • Sep 2012

The objection that Detroit and Minnesota cannot have real turf? The objection where you said they could use grow lights ?

that objection?

just because something hasn’t been done doesn’t make it possible either.

comparing indoor nfl natural playing surfaces to personal computer proliferation is almost juvenile. I was surprised you omitted the electric vehicles that were all the rage back in 1909 that were wiped out by the advancement of the more advantageous ICE vehicles.

Comment

• DetoxTent
                              • Sep 2023

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              Huh???
                              Jesus sukie, you lost this argument on the first page. Not one of your objections is relevant or credible. It's ALL about money.
                              Uh... no he didn't, you did. You continue to be a legend in your own mind. Only in your mind. Other posters just make fun of you.

The poster sukie tries to engage you in discussion (for some unknown reason) and you try to belittle and criticize him. I really don't know why the moderators of this site don't just send you packing. You don't add anything to any of these discussions. Outside of childish behavior, that is.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍