• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

92% of NFL players want grass fields

"It's really basic," Howell said, according to ESPN. "It's not rocket science. Ninety-two percent of our union wants grass. That's compelling. The bottom line is, it's unquestionable that our union wants to have a working condition where they play on grass."

The debate between grass and artificial playing surfaces has been raging for the past couple of years as player safety has come to the forefront.

Half of the 30 NFL stadiums use artificial turf, while the remaining 15 stadiums use either hybrid or natural grass, per The Associated Press.

Grass surfaces are supposed to be softer and allow for fewer injuries.

92% of NFL players want grass fields, NFLPA head says | Fox News

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

It’ll never happen because it will cost the owners too much money.

But has anyone done a study to see if there really are more serious injuries on turf? If there really are more significant injuries, maybe the owners will want to invest in grass to protect their investment in the players.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Goobylal
      • Jan 2004

Good thing the Bills will have grass for the new stadium.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

They'll never switch. NFL owners are the greediest bunch of bastards in sports.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Football should be played on grass that becomes mud when it rains.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

But has anyone done a study to see if there really are more serious injuries on turf? If there really are more significant injuries, maybe the owners will want to invest in grass to protect their investment in the players.
            How many soccer players tear their ACL/Achilles in non-contact situations. How many in the NFL?

That would answer the question, for the most part. I'd love to see if there's any studies been done on this.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
              How many soccer players tear their ACL/Achilles in non-contact situations. How many in the NFL?

That would answer the question, for the most part. I'd love to see if there's any studies been done on this.
              It happens all the time. And then they bounce right back up after the offending player gets a card...

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

The turf of my day you basically were playing on a concrete pad. Today's stuff I don't know much about. Anyone have experience with todays technology? Having seen it and stood on it you could tell a lot. What if they make it so they have to play on a very well defined matt under artificial turf?

What if they do start to legislate things about the field that reduce home field advantage? What do you think about that?

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                  The turf of my day you basically were playing on a concrete pad. Today's stuff I don't know much about. Anyone have experience with todays technology? Having seen it and stood on it you could tell a lot. What if they make it so they have to play on a very well defined matt under artificial turf?

What if they do start to legislate things about the field that reduce home field advantage? What do you think about that?
                  Today's artificial turf is much better than the hard plastic "blades" put over concrete fields. It has soft "blades" and infill, with a pad underneath/on top of the concrete. Grass is best in non-frozen conditions.

Comment

• sukie
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                    It happens all the time. And then they bounce right back up after the offending player gets a card...

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
                      The things I get you to say
                      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

I'd have to look them up because I looked into this when my high school got a stadium of its own for the first time in decades. Because of a DL who went to Mizzou and has played for Miami and Atlanta and now plays for Detroit they were actually able to build a stadium for the school. Anyways, the school chose to use turf instead of grass, and yeah, there are lots of studies out there that show that natural grass is far less damaging on knees, and legs, and feet and toes than turf, especially if its well maintained. OF course, if you have a poorly maintained grass field you could get injuries galore as well
                      Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Good thing the Bills will have grass for the new stadium.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
                        163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post

If it reduces injuries then I'm for it. And honestly, how much home field advantage does the turf itself provide? We know players tend to be slightly faster on turf than grass, but no team is faster than their opponent every time. Do you really want Tyreek Hill or Sauce Gardner to be faster on our turf? Conversely, if we switched to grass, then guys like Diggs would be slower. It's completely situational.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

My cousin got seriously injured playing indoor soccer on turf. He wasn't anywhere near the play. He just turned to run towards the ball, his cleat got caught in the turf and he broke his leg in 2 places. It took multiple surgeries to get back to normal.

Of course, that was over 20 years ago at some white trash sports complex in South Jersey, so I'm sure the NFL has better turf than what he was playing on.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞