Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

92% of NFL players want grass fields

"It's really basic," Howell said, according to ESPN. "It's not rocket science. Ninety-two percent of our union wants grass. That's compelling. The bottom line is, it's unquestionable that our union wants to have a working condition where they play on grass."

The debate between grass and artificial playing surfaces has been raging for the past couple of years as player safety has come to the forefront.

Half of the 30 NFL stadiums use artificial turf, while the remaining 15 stadiums use either hybrid or natural grass, per The Associated Press.

Grass surfaces are supposed to be softer and allow for fewer injuries.

92% of NFL players want grass fields, NFLPA head says | Fox News

Thanks
    Thanked 26,313 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 92% of NFL players want grass fields

It’ll never happen because it will cost the owners too much money.

But has anyone done a study to see if there really are more serious injuries on turf? If there really are more significant injuries, maybe the owners will want to invest in grass to protect their investment in the players.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good thing the Bills will have grass for the new stadium.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They'll never switch. NFL owners are the greediest bunch of bastards in sports.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Football should be played on grass that becomes mud when it rains.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

But has anyone done a study to see if there really are more serious injuries on turf? If there really are more significant injuries, maybe the owners will want to invest in grass to protect their investment in the players.
    How many soccer players tear their ACL/Achilles in non-contact situations. How many in the NFL?

That would answer the question, for the most part. I'd love to see if there's any studies been done on this.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    How many soccer players tear their ACL/Achilles in non-contact situations. How many in the NFL?

That would answer the question, for the most part. I'd love to see if there's any studies been done on this.
    It happens all the time. And then they bounce right back up after the offending player gets a card...

8. Post thanked by:

sukie (02-08-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The turf of my day you basically were playing on a concrete pad. Today's stuff I don't know much about. Anyone have experience with todays technology? Having seen it and stood on it you could tell a lot. What if they make it so they have to play on a very well defined matt under artificial turf?

What if they do start to legislate things about the field that reduce home field advantage? What do you think about that?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    The turf of my day you basically were playing on a concrete pad. Today's stuff I don't know much about. Anyone have experience with todays technology? Having seen it and stood on it you could tell a lot. What if they make it so they have to play on a very well defined matt under artificial turf?

What if they do start to legislate things about the field that reduce home field advantage? What do you think about that?
    Today's artificial turf is much better than the hard plastic "blades" put over concrete fields. It has soft "blades" and infill, with a pad underneath/on top of the concrete. Grass is best in non-frozen conditions.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,193 Times in 5,920 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    It happens all the time. And then they bounce right back up after the offending player gets a card...

12. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (02-08-2024)

The things I get you to say Gibby 2.0's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,065 Times in 2,621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd have to look them up because I looked into this when my high school got a stadium of its own for the first time in decades. Because of a DL who went to Mizzou and has played for Miami and Atlanta and now plays for Detroit they were actually able to build a stadium for the school. Anyways, the school chose to use turf instead of grass, and yeah, there are lots of studies out there that show that natural grass is far less damaging on knees, and legs, and feet and toes than turf, especially if its well maintained. OF course, if you have a poorly maintained grass field you could get injuries galore as well
    Insert whimsical line here

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good thing the Bills will have grass for the new stadium.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post

If it reduces injuries then I'm for it. And honestly, how much home field advantage does the turf itself provide? We know players tend to be slightly faster on turf than grass, but no team is faster than their opponent every time. Do you really want Tyreek Hill or Sauce Gardner to be faster on our turf? Conversely, if we switched to grass, then guys like Diggs would be slower. It's completely situational.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

My cousin got seriously injured playing indoor soccer on turf. He wasn't anywhere near the play. He just turned to run towards the ball, his cleat got caught in the turf and he broke his leg in 2 places. It took multiple surgeries to get back to normal.

Of course, that was over 20 years ago at some white trash sports complex in South Jersey, so I'm sure the NFL has better turf than what he was playing on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My cousin got seriously injured playing indoor soccer on turf. He wasn't anywhere near the play. He just turned to run towards the ball, his cleat got caught in the turf and he broke his leg in 2 places. It took multiple surgeries to get back to normal.

Of course, that was over 20 years ago at some white trash sports complex in South Jersey, so I'm sure the NFL has better turf than what he was playing on.
    I don't know how much more advanced turf is. it seems like a lot of the non contact, and even some of the contact knee injuries are due to the shoe/spike getting caught up in the turf with no give.

It's just another reason on the list of many that the NFL is the greediest sports entity in the world

Thanks
    Thanked 11,712 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

DUH!!!! Of COURSE "92% of NFL players want grass fields".

I do not share the negatively that it will "never happen".

It may have to wait until the current NFL CBA expires in March 2030, but I strongly suspect there will be a LOT of pressure on the NFLPA to make it a critical issue in the negotiations.

We already know that it is not only possible to change field surfaces, but when the rubber hits to road it gets done.

Half of the NFL stadiums have artificial playing surfaces. Seven of those will host matches during the 2026 FIFA World Cup soccer matches. Ahead of the tournament, grass field MUST be installed at the stadiums in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, LA, New Jersey and Seattle.

It's a matter of time. The players ARE the NFL. Over the years they have used their clout to demand close to 50% of almost all of the revenue generated in the NFL. Since grass fields affects their very career and health, with the FACT that once a league REQUIRES grass fields (like thew FIFA) it gets done, excuses for not doing it are exposed as pure bullcrap.

The method to ensure it gets done is the NFL CBA.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    DUH!!!! Of COURSE "92% of NFL players want grass fields".

I do not share the negatively that it will "never happen".

It may have to wait until the current NFL CBA expires in March 2030, but I strongly suspect there will be a LOT of pressure on the NFLPA to make it a critical issue in the negotiations.

We already know that it is not only possible to change field surfaces, but when the rubber hits to road it gets done.

Half of the NFL stadiums have artificial playing surfaces. Seven of those will host matches during the 2026 FIFA World Cup soccer matches. Ahead of the tournament, grass field MUST be installed at the stadiums in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, LA, New Jersey and Seattle.

It's a matter of time. The players ARE the NFL. Over the years they have used their clout to demand close to 50% of almost all of the revenue generated in the NFL. Since grass fields affects their very career and health, with the FACT that once a league REQUIRES grass fields (like thew FIFA) it gets done, excuses for not doing it are exposed as pure bullcrap.

The method to ensure it gets done is the NFL CBA.
    Jones and Kraft will change it for the World Cup then change it back because long-term, turf is cheaper to maintain than grass. The other owners will probably do the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,712 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jones and Kraft will change it for the World Cup then change it back because long-term, turf is cheaper to maintain than grass. The other owners will probably do the same.
    That's not the point.

Turf being cheaper to maintain than grass is shortsighted and dumb. The owners will not do it without being forced...like they were to host the FIFA tournament.

The point is that the NFLPA is going to have to force them to do it. If they do, it will get done.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    That's not the point.

Turf being cheaper to maintain than grass is shortsighted and dumb. The owners will not do it without being forced...like they were to host the FIFA tournament.

The point is that the NFLPA is going to have to force them to do it. If they do, it will get done.
    I believe this was tried in both of the last two CBA negotiations but the owners wanted too much back to cover their costs so the NFLPA nixed it. The overwhelming majority of players may want it, but what are they willing to give up to get it?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!