Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The irrational nonsense around here has gone on long enough

Thanks
    Thanked 7,601 Times in 6,155 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The irrational nonsense around here has gone on long enough

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I hate that when the Bills enter the post-season, they're always missing key players. Always.
    It never fails.
    33 - Coleman - WR
    60 - Bishop - Safety
    95 - Carter - DT

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    He could have run the 1947 Army triple option and threw for 10 yards and that would have been perfect if we won the game.
    That works for all of us I believe.

All but 1 or 2 perhaps.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    The part that's hard to take is this wasn't close to the best Chiefs team.
    They did it with much less a team ........ #38 and #95 were the stars ......... thought I was gonna say #15 and #87 didn't you?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post

Don't be a blockhead.
    download.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 9,900 Times in 4,021 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    1) Allen was clearly the best QB the chiefs faced on thier path to the championship; in fact as I pointed out before JA had about as close to a perfect game as you could ask from a QB in that division round loss. We need JA to be beyond perfect to beat KC because our defense was deadweight out there. Its been deadweight against the chiefs for years. Does anyone at all forget how we lost 13 seconds? that wasn't on JA. how about the loss in the AFC championship the year prior? Our whole WR corps was injured and the chiefs got home cooking from the refs, sure but the reality was our defence wasn't getting any stops against Mahomes in that game either. The problem isn't allen no matter how much you whinge about how he missed diggs underneath. seriously. 70 offensive plays and you all act like that was why we lost. It wasn't. Bass missed a makeable fg, and our defense couldn't stop the chiefs at all.

2) the Ravens and 49ers forced more punts then I've seen the bills force Mahomes into in the last 4 or 5 games combined we played the chiefs. If your takeaway from this year is anything other then it's that our defense isn't close to good enough . Like, not even in the league of a Superbowl winning squad/system. If JA had that type of support we'd of owned the chiefs for YEARS, and been the team rolling into the superbowl.

3) Mahomes wasn't close to perfect this superbowl. He made a number of mistakes that we get on JA's back for all the time around here. In fact he played about as uninspired a game as i've seen from him till maybe 2 minutes left in the game. Think about that. Imagine had JA played a 58minute **** fest at any point in time in the past 7 games. not only wouldn't we have won the game, but we get blown out. That superbowl was 100% on the chiefs defense for allowing Mahomes to sleep through the first 58 minutes of the game.

4) the 49ers for all their "great" coaches put up one hell of an awful gameplan for the offense. No effort to get CMC or Deebo the ball in space beyond that one TD on the throwback. Christ watching the 49ers waste Deebo and CMC like that all game had me sick to my stomach. Their coaching staff came up really short in the most important game of the season. This place would be going nuts if we got a performance like that from our offense. I mean look at how nuts this place is after JA missed diggs underneath on one play. **** off.

grow the **** up. it's football not a video game. The other team wants to win too. The reality is our defense isn't good enough. and I don't accept injuries as an excuse for that. Milano hasn't made it through a full season... ever, and it's been 4 years since we got a healthy season out of White. That's more then enough evidence you can't count on either to be available all season, yet our team is build around both of them. I could probably toss Hyde and Oliver on this pile of unreliably healthy defenders, in fact Oliver's breakout season probably would have happened in '22 had he not been hurt most ot the year, like usual.

At some point we have to acknowledge we have injury prone "stars" on the defense and move on. We also have to acknowledge that the defensive system we run probably isn't gonna beat mahomes. The Bengals proved they could beat the Chiefs when healthy. Gotta start asking questions about this at some point.
    The injuries...

The Bills played their last game against the Chiefs without their 2 starting CBs, their 3rd cb running around limping and without their 2 best LBs.

To put that into perspective, take away Sneed and McDuffie from KC, let Justin Reid run around hobbling, and take away Nick Bolton and Willie Gay (who they DID lose for a bit in the late season)...

and tell me how good their D looks? Does Spags look like a genius?
    Do they stop SF's weapons without those guys, especially the DB's?
    Do they stop Balt?
    Do they stop Buff?

If you take away Sneed and McDuffie alone from their D for any significant time...there is a really good chance that team doesn't make the playoffs, much less the SB. Because it was their D who carried the Chiefs this year. In all of their 6 losses, they failed to score more than 20 pts. They actually won 4 games this year while scoring fewer than 20 pts. Without that D, they don't sniff the playoffs.

And I dare say, if you take away Sneed and McDuffie for any amount of time, and take away their 2 starting LBs, their D looks more like the 2020 KC defense than te 2023 KC defense.

I fully understand that injuries are a part of the game, every team has injuries mantra...but there is a breaking point. And Id say taking away about half of your starters is pushing the limit.

Is the defensive scheme or personnel choice lead it to more injuries? idk. Maybe smaller LBs result in more run support from the DB's..and more tackling in run support leads to more injuries.

As far as Milano... idk... he missed a few games in 2020 with a hamstring and a pec injury. He didn't miss many, if any games in 2021 or 2022.

And then he had the devastating knee injury in 2023. But overall...Im not sure how much he deserves the injury prone tag.

Tre White... idk how you prevent an Achilles injury or see one coming. Damn, we just watched a guy get a really bad one jogging on the field during a commercial.

Is the defense not good enough? There isn't a defense in the NFL that's good enough when you take away half of their starters, especially when you get into playoff time.

Is it the players they pick, or the defense that is played, that causes the injuries they've been suffering? Maybe. Its a good question.

6. Post thanked by:

Forward_Lateral (02-14-2024),Historian (02-16-2024),jamze132 (02-17-2024),John Doe (02-17-2024),Mace (02-14-2024)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The defensive Injuries seem to be an ongoing pattern here

last year was awful. This year was worse and then if you count Tre going down in 2021

the o hasn’t been untouched but way less hit by the injury but than the d
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    The injuries...

To put that into perspective, take away Sneed and McDuffie from KC, let Justin Reid run around hobbling, and take away Nick Bolton and Willie Gay (who they DID lose for a bit in the late season)...
    They go nowhere at all.

I've been saying #95 and #38 are the reason they got as far they did.

I would agree include #22 with #38 and they are ****ed as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The defense was good enough… even minus our starting 2 LBs against Kelce plus a couple other key depth guys who were injured and played or couldn’t play.

Josh still had the ball with a chance to end the game so the defense did do enough against Mahomes to give Josh that opportunity. Josh tried to hit the big ball. Should have been more methodical…

This defense returns all their key starters next year so they should have a top D. And more than good enough to win it.

10. Post thanked by:

Oaf (02-15-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,080 Times in 4,277 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    The defense was good enough… even minus our starting 2 LBs against Kelce plus a couple other key depth guys who were injured and played or couldn’t play.

Josh still had the ball with a chance to end the game so the defense did do enough against Mahomes to give Josh that opportunity. Josh tried to hit the big ball. Should have been more methodical…

This defense returns all their key starters next year so they should have a top D. And more than good enough to win it.

They are going to be losing about 1/3rd of their defense, if not more.

Starter that are returning for sure

Oliver, Rousseau, Milano, Benard, Douglas, Benford

I don't know if you can even count Von Miller because he barely played this season.

12. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (02-17-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,702 Times in 7,762 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    The injuries...

The Bills played their last game against the Chiefs without their 2 starting CBs, their 3rd cb running around limping and without their 2 best LBs.

and tell me how good their D looks? Does Spags look like a genius?
    Do they stop SF's weapons without those guys, especially the DB's?
    Do they stop Balt?
    Do they stop Buff?

If you take away Sneed and McDuffie alone from their D for any significant time...there is a really good chance that team doesn't make the playoffs, much less the SB. Because it was their D who carried the Chiefs this year. In all of their 6 losses, they failed to score more than 20 pts. They actually won 4 games this year while scoring fewer than 20 pts. Without that D, they don't sniff the playoffs.

And I dare say, if you take away Sneed and McDuffie for any amount of time, and take away their 2 starting LBs, their D looks more like the 2020 KC defense than te 2023 KC defense.

I fully understand that injuries are a part of the game, every team has injuries mantra...but there is a breaking point. And Id say taking away about half of your starters is pushing the limit.

Is the defensive scheme or personnel choice lead it to more injuries? idk. Maybe smaller LBs result in more run support from the DB's..and more tackling in run support leads to more injuries.

As far as Milano... idk... he missed a few games in 2020 with a hamstring and a pec injury. He didn't miss many, if any games in 2021 or 2022.

And then he had the devastating knee injury in 2023. But overall...Im not sure how much he deserves the injury prone tag.

Tre White... idk how you prevent an Achilles injury or see one coming. Damn, we just watched a guy get a really bad one jogging on the field during a commercial.

Is the defense not good enough? There isn't a defense in the NFL that's good enough when you take away half of their starters, especially when you get into playoff time.

Is it the players they pick, or the defense that is played, that causes the injuries they've been suffering? Maybe. Its a good question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    They are going to be losing about 1/3rd of their defense, if not more.

Starter that are returning for sure

Oliver, Rousseau, Milano, Benard, Douglas, Benford

I don't know if you can even count Von Miller because he barely played this season.
    Well...in 2023, we already lost (as noted below) "25% of defensive starters missing two thirds of regular season games"

Injuries to the defense was HUGE in 2023. As I pointed out in another thread...which does not include the devastating injures for the KC playoff game to Bernard and Benford and Davis (which despite his sometimes less than optimal output was an integral part of the offense)......

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The Bills defense was factually decimated by injury in 2023.

Losing three of your best star defenders for extended number of games negates the roster building of a defense.

Tre' White missed 13 games. Matt Milano missed 12 and DaQuan Jones missed 10.

That's 25% of your starters missing TWO THIRDS of the games.

The Bills were tied for the fourth-most games lost by starters on defense with 46. That does not count Von Miller's four missed games, because the injury occurred in 2022.

Meanwhile, according to the Buffalo News....

"It should come as no surprise that once again, there was a strong correlation between health and success. The two teams that made the Super Bowl were among the healthiest in the league.

Kansas City was tied for the second-fewest games lost at 27. San Francisco had the fifth-lowest total at 30.

The Chiefs have had an amazing run of good health in recent years. They lost the fewest games in the NFL to injury in 2022, the third fewest in 2021 and the 10th fewest in 2020. They were tied for 13th in both 2019 and 2018."

All the planning and roster building goes out the window when so many injuries take place, especially to your biggest stars!!
    And....

BTW....the "46 games lost" by starters was ONLY for defense. The offensive starters were much healthier, missing only six games. The O-line was one of only two NFL teams that had no games lost by O-line starters.

But, the official number of regular season games lost by starters for the Bills is FIFTY-TWO.

That's just under TWICE as much as KC's 27

All the planning and roster building goes out the window when so many injuries take place, especially to your biggest stars!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And....

Or your planning and roster building is flawed and results in injuries.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Or your planning and roster building is flawed and results in injuries.

That makes zero sense.

Injuries happen.

Maybe it's a coincidence that the two teams with the least number of injuries, KC and SanFran, also have grass home fields. I doubt it.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    It wasn't going to be a first down. This has been covered and discussed by many people who were both at the game, and who have access to the All-22. Diggs wasn't getting a for sure first down. Defenders were baring down on him, and he likely would've been a few yards short.

Please stop posting ridiculousness. WE get it, you hate Allen. He stinks. He's the reason they can't win a superbowl.

Give it a rest.
    Even say it's not a first down...it gets us into third and short and keeps the clock moving.

And the reason this team won't win anything isn't because of Allen, it's because of McDermott.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-20-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The difference between Mahomes and Allen is not who's clutch, but Reid knows how to conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game. We don't have that. We keep hiring tryouts for OC. We are wasting another year of a golden opportunity. Might we make it with Brady, yes. But if you had a genius like Reid calling plays the last big two minutes, or an experienced OC, things would be much different.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

19. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (02-17-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 3,843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    The difference between Mahomes and Allen is not who's clutch, but Reid knows how to conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game. We don't have that. We keep hiring tryouts for OC. We are wasting another year of a golden opportunity. Might we make it with Brady, yes. But if you had a genius like Reid calling plays the last big two minutes, or an experienced OC, things would be much different.
    Unfortunately, nope.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Josh is pretty much set in his ways at this point of his career. It's not as simple of calling better plays (Shakir and Diggs were open).

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yup. Reid is a better OC than anything the Bills have had in decades and no one would argue that point. After Belicheat lost Brady, he became the top HC in the NFL. And Steve Spagnuolo is a great DC who I would take over McD.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    1) Allen was clearly the best QB the chiefs faced on thier path to the championship; in fact as I pointed out before JA had about as close to a perfect game as you could ask from a QB in that division round loss. We need JA to be beyond perfect to beat KC because our defense was deadweight out there. Its been deadweight against the chiefs for years. Does anyone at all forget how we lost 13 seconds? that wasn't on JA. how about the loss in the AFC championship the year prior? Our whole WR corps was injured and the chiefs got home cooking from the refs, sure but the reality was our defence wasn't getting any stops against Mahomes in that game either. The problem isn't allen no matter how much you whinge about how he missed diggs underneath. seriously. 70 offensive plays and you all act like that was why we lost. It wasn't. Bass missed a makeable fg, and our defense couldn't stop the chiefs at all.

2) the Ravens and 49ers forced more punts then I've seen the bills force Mahomes into in the last 4 or 5 games combined we played the chiefs. If your takeaway from this year is anything other then it's that our defense isn't close to good enough . Like, not even in the league of a Superbowl winning squad/system. If JA had that type of support we'd of owned the chiefs for YEARS, and been the team rolling into the superbowl.

3) Mahomes wasn't close to perfect this superbowl. He made a number of mistakes that we get on JA's back for all the time around here. In fact he played about as uninspired a game as i've seen from him till maybe 2 minutes left in the game. Think about that. Imagine had JA played a 58minute **** fest at any point in time in the past 7 games. not only wouldn't we have won the game, but we get blown out. That superbowl was 100% on the chiefs defense for allowing Mahomes to sleep through the first 58 minutes of the game.

4) the 49ers for all their "great" coaches put up one hell of an awful gameplan for the offense. No effort to get CMC or Deebo the ball in space beyond that one TD on the throwback. Christ watching the 49ers waste Deebo and CMC like that all game had me sick to my stomach. Their coaching staff came up really short in the most important game of the season. This place would be going nuts if we got a performance like that from our offense. I mean look at how nuts this place is after JA missed diggs underneath on one play. **** off.

grow the **** up. it's football not a video game. The other team wants to win too. The reality is our defense isn't good enough. and I don't accept injuries as an excuse for that. Milano hasn't made it through a full season... ever, and it's been 4 years since we got a healthy season out of White. That's more then enough evidence you can't count on either to be available all season, yet our team is build around both of them. I could probably toss Hyde and Oliver on this pile of unreliably healthy defenders, in fact Oliver's breakout season probably would have happened in '22 had he not been hurt most ot the year, like usual.

At some point we have to acknowledge we have injury prone "stars" on the defense and move on. We also have to acknowledge that the defensive system we run probably isn't gonna beat mahomes. The Bengals proved they could beat the Chiefs when healthy. Gotta start asking questions about this at some point.
    Don't know what this reactionary, angry post is all about. But Allen was clearly the best QB the Chiefs faced. Mahomes aside, who else is even in the same league with Allen? No one in my opinion. Maybe Joe Burrow when healthy, but he is proving to be brittle. But this is an obvious thing. So, again, I'm not sure who you were responding to there. I also had the same thought about needing to get Deebo Samuel the ball more. They tried and failed a couple of fancy things. But they didn't try enough, in my opinion. The fact of the matter was that Chiefs team was better than everyone else once again. That's a credit to their head coach. He was provided with a QB that could get him there, he built the rest around Mahomes. Credit to the Chiefs, as much as I don't want to do that. Makes me angry at McDermott for not being better.

Yes, as pointed out in #65, the Bills had players injuries. That's an excuse in large part. Yes the injuries were significant. But they happen to every team. The greedy NFL owners have made the season too long (because the owners are greedy) without adeptly increasing roster size (because they don't want to pay out the extra money). The greed has caught up with them as the players on the too limited rosters are getting hurt. They (the league & owners) are too slow to adapt to this.
    Last edited by DetoxTent; 02-18-2024 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Regular season 15 games.

4 best records from each conference make playoffs period.

no wild card or divisional winner recognition just the best 4 from each.

one week bye for all that qualify for playoffs after the final regular season game.

during the season week 8 is the bye week for all teams.

start the damn season in August sometime mid month.

2 pre-season games max.

no HOF game.

24. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (02-18-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't buy that for one second.

The Bills did not have to " conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game"...they HAD a GREAT PLAY CALLED on 2nd down with 2 min left. They had a great offensive game plan that worked extremely well for 58 MINUTES.

Josh made TWO HUGE mistakes....he did not take the WIDE OPEN DIGGS for a (almost) sure first down that would have put the team in perfect position to score a go-ahead TD AND run the clock down (Josh showed a lack of smart awareness of game situation) ....and once he decided NOT to take that easy outlet....he ****ed up the throw into the end zone.

It's not about "conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game" it's about making good decisions and execution.

Kurt Warner (with Peter King) spelled it out perfectly....

Allen, on this drive [last drive of the game], had flipped and thrown and side-armed completions of 7, 4, 8, 10, 6 and 7 yards. And needing a first down here, he went gunslinger. I just don’t know why. Kurt Warner, one who would know, tried to explain it a few days after the game.

“Sometimes,” Warner said, “you talk yourself into a play and say, ‘I’m gonna make this play, and this is the throw that’ll send us to the championship game,’ instead of saying, ‘I’m gonna let the defense dictate where I throw the ball.’ As a quarterback, you have to have the ability to balance those things.”

I thought Warner put it best on Allen in this game, and Allen as a player. He said, “It’s impossible to play perfect games, and Josh played an incredible game—until the end. In the end, he took some chances that wouldn’t have been what I would have done. But he chose to make those throws, and if you choose those throws, you’ve got to make ‘em. That’s part of being great. Brady, Montana, Mahomes—they have careers of making the plays in the absolute crucial times of the game. Now they’re on the Mount Rushmore of NFL quarterbacks.”

Mahomes does that much better than Josh does (so far). Josh will learn to do that. HC has little to do with it.

The homerism type defense (and making lame excuses) of Josh Allen is really tiresome.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Allen has proven to be very good, not great. Agreed. We're still waiting for him to show us that growth. It's time.

27. Post thanked by:

notacon (02-19-2024)