• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goobylal
    • Jan 2004

Re: The irrational nonsense around here has gone on long enough

Originally posted by Turf View Post
    The difference between Mahomes and Allen is not who's clutch, but Reid knows how to conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game. We don't have that. We keep hiring tryouts for OC. We are wasting another year of a golden opportunity. Might we make it with Brady, yes. But if you had a genius like Reid calling plays the last big two minutes, or an experienced OC, things would be much different.
    Yup. Reid is a better OC than anything the Bills have had in decades and no one would argue that point. After Belicheat lost Brady, he became the top HC in the NFL. And Steve Spagnuolo is a great DC who I would take over McD.

Comment

• DetoxTent
      • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
      1) Allen was clearly the best QB the chiefs faced on thier path to the championship; in fact as I pointed out before JA had about as close to a perfect game as you could ask from a QB in that division round loss. We need JA to be beyond perfect to beat KC because our defense was deadweight out there. Its been deadweight against the chiefs for years. Does anyone at all forget how we lost 13 seconds? that wasn't on JA. how about the loss in the AFC championship the year prior? Our whole WR corps was injured and the chiefs got home cooking from the refs, sure but the reality was our defence wasn't getting any stops against Mahomes in that game either. The problem isn't allen no matter how much you whinge about how he missed diggs underneath. seriously. 70 offensive plays and you all act like that was why we lost. It wasn't. Bass missed a makeable fg, and our defense couldn't stop the chiefs at all.

2) the Ravens and 49ers forced more punts then I've seen the bills force Mahomes into in the last 4 or 5 games combined we played the chiefs. If your takeaway from this year is anything other then it's that our defense isn't close to good enough . Like, not even in the league of a Superbowl winning squad/system. If JA had that type of support we'd of owned the chiefs for YEARS, and been the team rolling into the superbowl.

3) Mahomes wasn't close to perfect this superbowl. He made a number of mistakes that we get on JA's back for all the time around here. In fact he played about as uninspired a game as i've seen from him till maybe 2 minutes left in the game. Think about that. Imagine had JA played a 58minute **** fest at any point in time in the past 7 games. not only wouldn't we have won the game, but we get blown out. That superbowl was 100% on the chiefs defense for allowing Mahomes to sleep through the first 58 minutes of the game.

4) the 49ers for all their "great" coaches put up one hell of an awful gameplan for the offense. No effort to get CMC or Deebo the ball in space beyond that one TD on the throwback. Christ watching the 49ers waste Deebo and CMC like that all game had me sick to my stomach. Their coaching staff came up really short in the most important game of the season. This place would be going nuts if we got a performance like that from our offense. I mean look at how nuts this place is after JA missed diggs underneath on one play. **** off.

grow the **** up. it's football not a video game. The other team wants to win too. The reality is our defense isn't good enough. and I don't accept injuries as an excuse for that. Milano hasn't made it through a full season... ever, and it's been 4 years since we got a healthy season out of White. That's more then enough evidence you can't count on either to be available all season, yet our team is build around both of them. I could probably toss Hyde and Oliver on this pile of unreliably healthy defenders, in fact Oliver's breakout season probably would have happened in '22 had he not been hurt most ot the year, like usual.

At some point we have to acknowledge we have injury prone "stars" on the defense and move on. We also have to acknowledge that the defensive system we run probably isn't gonna beat mahomes. The Bengals proved they could beat the Chiefs when healthy. Gotta start asking questions about this at some point.
      Don't know what this reactionary, angry post is all about. But Allen was clearly the best QB the Chiefs faced. Mahomes aside, who else is even in the same league with Allen? No one in my opinion. Maybe Joe Burrow when healthy, but he is proving to be brittle. But this is an obvious thing. So, again, I'm not sure who you were responding to there. I also had the same thought about needing to get Deebo Samuel the ball more. They tried and failed a couple of fancy things. But they didn't try enough, in my opinion. The fact of the matter was that Chiefs team was better than everyone else once again. That's a credit to their head coach. He was provided with a QB that could get him there, he built the rest around Mahomes. Credit to the Chiefs, as much as I don't want to do that. Makes me angry at McDermott for not being better.

Yes, as pointed out in #65, the Bills had players injuries. That's an excuse in large part. Yes the injuries were significant. But they happen to every team. The greedy NFL owners have made the season too long (because the owners are greedy) without adeptly increasing roster size (because they don't want to pay out the extra money). The greed has caught up with them as the players on the too limited rosters are getting hurt. They (the league & owners) are too slow to adapt to this.
      Last edited by DetoxTent; 02-18-2024, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

Regular season 15 games.

4 best records from each conference make playoffs period.

no wild card or divisional winner recognition just the best 4 from each.

one week bye for all that qualify for playoffs after the final regular season game.

during the season week 8 is the bye week for all teams.

start the damn season in August sometime mid month.

2 pre-season games max.

no HOF game.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• notacon
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Turf View Post
          The difference between Mahomes and Allen is not who's clutch, but Reid knows how to conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game. We don't have that. We keep hiring tryouts for OC. We are wasting another year of a golden opportunity. Might we make it with Brady, yes. But if you had a genius like Reid calling plays the last big two minutes, or an experienced OC, things would be much different.

I don't buy that for one second.

The Bills did not have to " conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game"...they HAD a GREAT PLAY CALLED on 2nd down with 2 min left. They had a great offensive game plan that worked extremely well for 58 MINUTES.

Josh made TWO HUGE mistakes....he did not take the WIDE OPEN DIGGS for a (almost) sure first down that would have put the team in perfect position to score a go-ahead TD AND run the clock down (Josh showed a lack of smart awareness of game situation) ....and once he decided NOT to take that easy outlet....he ****ed up the throw into the end zone.

It's not about "conjure up play calls to make that big play at the end of the game" it's about making good decisions and execution.

Kurt Warner (with Peter King) spelled it out perfectly....

Allen, on this drive [last drive of the game], had flipped and thrown and side-armed completions of 7, 4, 8, 10, 6 and 7 yards. And needing a first down here, he went gunslinger. I just don’t know why. Kurt Warner, one who would know, tried to explain it a few days after the game.

“Sometimes,” Warner said, “you talk yourself into a play and say, ‘I’m gonna make this play, and this is the throw that’ll send us to the championship game,’ instead of saying, ‘I’m gonna let the defense dictate where I throw the ball.’ As a quarterback, you have to have the ability to balance those things.”

I thought Warner put it best on Allen in this game, and Allen as a player. He said, “It’s impossible to play perfect games, and Josh played an incredible game—until the end. In the end, he took some chances that wouldn’t have been what I would have done. But he chose to make those throws, and if you choose those throws, you’ve got to make ‘em. That’s part of being great. Brady, Montana, Mahomes—they have careers of making the plays in the absolute crucial times of the game. Now they’re on the Mount Rushmore of NFL quarterbacks.”

Mahomes does that much better than Josh does (so far). Josh will learn to do that. HC has little to do with it.

The homerism type defense (and making lame excuses) of Josh Allen is really tiresome.

Comment

• DetoxTent
            • Sep 2023

Allen has proven to be very good, not great. Agreed. We're still waiting for him to show us that growth. It's time.

Comment

• cas22
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
              Unfortunately, nope.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Josh is pretty much set in his ways at this point of his career. It's not as simple of calling better plays (Shakir and Diggs were open).
              yes they were and if all 11 men on the offense did there job Allen wouldn't have thrown a bad pass, I believe it was our best o-lineman that got beat by Jones and disrupted Allens throw.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cas22 View Post
                yes they were and if all 11 men on the offense did there job Allen wouldn't have thrown a bad pass, I believe it was our best o-lineman that got beat by Jones and disrupted Allens throw.
                It was a bad throw (decision), completion or no completion. The right decision was to throw to Diggs.

Comment

• cas22
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                  It was a bad throw (decision), completion or no completion. The right decision was to throw to Diggs.
                  thats your opinion from in front of a tv screen, Allens view from the feild of play is different, .................i take it you never played football?

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cas22 View Post
                    thats your opinion from in front of a tv screen, Allens view from the feild of play is different, .................i take it you never played football?
                    I've thrown the ball around...

The view from the TV was a big picture. They were controlling the clock for a few minutes. Then the two minute warning on 2nd down. It was careless to go for the TD on the next play. Why? Trust that our D was going to make a play?

Josh's view on the field was myopic. TD now because I want it now. It was sophomoric.

Comment

• DetoxTent
                      • Sep 2023

Who hasn't thrown the ball around here?

Josh's view on the field was myopic.
                      He is just still getting rookie jitters deep into his reads where he should, at 5 years+, he should be calmer, as Mahomes is. This is the difference between the two. Nothing rattles Mahomes when he's in his dropbacks. Not the case with Allen.

Comment

Working...
                      X