Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIFFERENCE IN THE BILL'S AND CHEIFS .....very simple..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: DIFFERENCE IN THE BILL'S AND CHEIFS .....very simple..

Speaking of Pacheco, that brings me to another issue in Bills chasing the Chiefs for the glory. Both teams are paying QB big money so the cap is going to be an issue for both. Winning on draft days are going to be a key factor (injury of course is an unknown factor).

That 2022 draft, the Bills had Elam, Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Ariza, Benford, Tenuta, and Spector. A year later, I can say 4 starters (I count Shakir starting next year) and 1 ST contributer. Very good draft in its own right.

Now look at the Chiefs draft that year - 8 oout the 10 picks making significant contribution by the snaps they played. 1 star already (McDuffie), 2 other budding stars Karlaftis and Pacheco.
    Chiefs 2022 Draft Class and grade ranks among rookies

Pick No. Name Pos. Offensive/defensive Snaps PFF Grade Grade rank
    21 Trent McDuffie CB 809 73.5 3 of 26
    30 George Karlaftis EDGE 791 50.3 16 of 19
    54 Skyy Moore WR 371 67.7 8 of 11
    62 Bryan Cook S 387 60.6 6 of 9
    103 Leo Chenal LB 278 66.7 1 of 11
    135 Joshua Williams CB 499 63.2 15 of 26
    145 Darian Kinnard OT 0
    243 Jaylen Watson CB 719 59.6 17 of 26
    251 Isiah Pacheco HB 414 76.3 5 of 10
    260 Nazeeh Johnson CB 0

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 986 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Speaking of Pacheco, that brings me to another issue in Bills chasing the Chiefs for the glory. Both teams are paying QB big money so the cap is going to be an issue for both. Winning on draft days are going to be a key factor (injury of course is an unknown factor).

That 2022 draft, the Bills had Elam, Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Ariza, Benford, Tenuta, and Spector. A year later, I can say 4 starters (I count Shakir starting next year) and 1 ST contributer. Very good draft in its own right.

Now look at the Chiefs draft that year - 8 oout the 10 picks making significant contribution by the snaps they played. 1 star already (McDuffie), 2 other budding stars Karlaftis and Pacheco.

145 Darian Kinnard OT 0
    260 Nazeeh Johnson CB 0
    Yep. We gotta cash in 3-4 draft picks including at least one game changer.

Beane’s a power hitter that likes to swing for the fences so he’s gonna strike out a fair amount …but he’s also gonna crush one out of the park on occasion along with some doubles and triples (like Shakir, Benford, and Cook).

im fine with that strategy. Beats a bunch of meh players like our previous regime used to always net us, or Jimmy Johnson’s picks with the fish or Belichicks picks.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I don't buy that. These two guys are really excellent players OK ... but the recency bias is profound. Allen has more talent and capability than Mahomes he just doesn't apply his brain the same way so he ends up being inferior to a lot of folks.
    No, Allen doesn’t. He’s tremendous and capable of one day winning a Super Bowl, but he’s not at the same level as Mahomes.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,316 Times in 15,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cas22 View Post
    talent evaluation is the #1 difference, hear me out!

KC has 3 guys left on this years team vs there 1st SuperBowl victory with Mahomes, they are Mahomes ,Kelce and Chris Jones on defense, year in and year out they move on from players demanding big salary's or expiring contracts.

who doe's that sound like? New England when they had Brady.. we need to start drafting and quit worrying about guys that had decent play in years past, we have Allen Cook , Kincaid and Oliver on defense, do the same..

we are just the opposite as KC, we try and re-sign everyone... KC has went through 2 left tackles, we have Dawkins, we have resigned way to many guys like Hyde and Poyer and White and Milano and Diggs and Knox just for starter.

in order to win and keep the cap in check you have to get play out of young guys while they are under there 1st contract then move on, but you have to know talent and that just might be where The Bills are different from the KC's and NE's of the Brady years.
    This is a really good point.

And it's the reason the Patriots were never in "cap hell" during their 20 year run.

Once a guy got too expensive, he was jettisoned out for draft picks....draft picks who pretty much had immediate impact.

The only X factor is injuries, and NE, as well as the current Chiefs have gotten very lucky in avoiding them, probably since the teams were younger....and they played on real grass.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone crapping on Josh Allen is a complete fool. He is plenty good enough to win multiple Super Bowls but it’s a TEAM game. He’s not out kicking FGs or covering TEs.

I stand behind this…if we had Milano or Bernard playing instead of Klein, we’d have beat KC and they wouldn’t look like the team they appear to be. Any one of four teams were good enough to win the SB this year. It takes a bit of luck sometimes too. One thing KC does have a distinct advantage though is their coaching. They don’t make stupid decisions.

6. Post thanked by:

Woodman (02-19-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,846 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Anyone crapping on Josh Allen is a complete fool. He is plenty good enough to win multiple Super Bowls but it’s a TEAM game. He’s not out kicking FGs or covering TEs.

I stand behind this…if we had Milano or Bernard playing instead of Klein, we’d have beat KC and they wouldn’t look like the team they appear to be. Any one of four teams were good enough to win the SB this year. It takes a bit of luck sometimes too. One thing KC does have a distinct advantage though is their coaching. They don’t make stupid decisions.
    Anyone not crapping on Josh's two minute performances a complete idiot.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Andy Reid is an offensive genius.

Nobody on the Bills can sniff his undies.

Combine that with the best QB to ever breath (yes, I said it), and the best TE to ever breath (yes, I said it again), and it's an unstoppable force.

Not to mention their Defense was lights out this year.
    Reid/Spags having Mahomes, Kelce and Jones.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    Reid/Spags having Mahomes, Kelce and Jones.
    A key difference though would be that both Reid and Spags have a long history of winning before Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones. I don’t think it’s quite fair to assume their current success is because they have those three now.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    A key difference though would be that both Reid and Spags have a long history of winning before Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones. I don’t think it’s quite fair to assume their current success is because they have those three now.
    I’m saying it’s the combination of great coaches with great players. You can be a great coach but you need those key guys.

Spags coached a great D, but several times in the playoffs Jones gave them that extra special play they needed.

Reid makes life easy for Mahomes and vice versa.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Anyone not crapping on Josh's two minute performances a complete idiot.
    You’re ignoring the other good things he did to put his team in a position to win. No other team scored more points against the Chiefs in the playoffs than Josh Allen. To pin the entire loss on him is plain stupid.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,006 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mahomes has been in the league 6 years and has been to 6 AFC Championship games, won 3 SBs, 3 SB MVPs. He’s the reason. Reid is one of the greatest coaches ever but never won a SB until Mahomes. It’s Mahomes. Our only hope is that Allen can get one like Manning did against Brady.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

And it's the reason the Patriots were never in "cap hell" during their 20 year run.

Once a guy got too expensive, he was jettisoned out for draft picks....draft picks who pretty much had immediate impact.

The only X factor is injuries, and NE, as well as the current Chiefs have gotten very lucky in avoiding them, probably since the teams were younger....and they played on real grass.
    Two factors for the Bills. 1) McDermott and Beane are still chasing the 1st one, as such they tend to hold-on to said expansive players and hope next year is the year ... NE of the past and KC would never do a Von kind of deal bringing an aging vet to wreck your cap for a few years because they had won without him. 2) the culture is a big thing for McDermott in a 2nd or 3rd level market of Buffalo. There is a ruthless side of the business we saw time again in NE and KC but will be hard for McDermott/Beane. Let's see what they do with White.

14. Post thanked by:

Historian (02-14-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,846 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    You’re ignoring the other good things he did to put his team in a position to win. No other team scored more points against the Chiefs in the playoffs than Josh Allen. To pin the entire loss on him is plain stupid.
    How am I ignoring the previous 58 minutes?

He played well. The team played good enough to have a great chance of exorcising some demons. They/Josh crapped the bed after the time out

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,316 Times in 15,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    Mahomes has been in the league 6 years and has been to 6 AFC Championship games, won 3 SBs, 3 SB MVPs. He’s the reason. Reid is one of the greatest coaches ever but never won a SB until Mahomes. It’s Mahomes. Our only hope is that Allen can get one like Manning did against Brady.
    And I'm sorry, but a big part of that is the lame AFC West, which has essentially been a one-horse pony since the merger.

I'll die on that hill, because that's a big advantage when it comes to playoff seeding and tiebreakers.

17. Post thanked by:

imbondz (02-14-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

One of the main reasons they were never in cap hell was Brady never demanded to be the highest paid at his position. If I remember correctly, his pay was always modest compared to other guys like Manning, Favre, etc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    What did Reid win before he had those 3?

I thought the only thing that mattered was superbowls?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

145 Darian Kinnard OT 0
    260 Nazeeh Johnson CB 0
    this is my point i'm not sure our scouting dept is all that, take Allen out of the equation and Mcd and Bean probably would have been fired already.. no other Bean draft pick is what I call a great pick, he has had some good ones in later rounds but there not steals.

20. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (02-14-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

this is my point i'm not sure our scouting dept is all that, take Allen out of the equation and Mcd and Bean probably would have been fired already.. no other Bean draft pick is what I call a great pick, he has had some good ones in later rounds but there not steals.
    You can't take Allen out of the equation, just like you cannot say for KC to take Mahomes out of the equation. It's a gamble we both won, but teams like 49ers lost.

My point is that we need to do better drafting in order to chase KC, not compared to the rest of the league. We both draft near the bottom every year and we have to gain on them. As it is now, KC has all those rookies for cheap in the next 2 years after winning 2 Superbowl in a row. There should be high urgency on Beane. It is hard because you have not won but you have to stick to your principle: cultivate draft and not making irrational decisions going for it all by going after expensive yesterday's heros. Evaluate your own player objectively. Let go non super star players. If you have Mahomes, Kelce, Jones type of guys, hold onto to them. Everyone else is replaceable from the draft.

I'm also surprised no one has raided the KC front office the last 2 years. Usually these things even out when one front office does outstanding work. NE in its run, GM, Coaches were picked apart by other teams completely and left BB himself standing, and you see the result in his last few years.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You can't take Allen out of the equation, just like you cannot say for KC to take Mahomes out of the equation. It's a gamble we both won, but teams like 49ers lost.

My point is that we need to do better drafting in order to chase KC, not compared to the rest of the league. We both draft near the bottom every year and we have to gain on them. As it is now, KC has all those rookies for cheap in the next 2 years after winning 2 Superbowl in a row. There should be high urgency on Beane. It is hard because you have not won but you have to stick to your principle: cultivate draft and not making irrational decisions going for it all by going after expensive yesterday's heros. Evaluate your own player objectively. Let go non super star players. If you have Mahomes, Kelce, Jones type of guys, hold onto to them. Everyone else is replaceable from the draft.

I'm also surprised no one has raided the KC front office the last 2 years. Usually these things even out when one front office does outstanding work. NE in its run, GM, Coaches were picked apart by other teams completely and left BB himself standing, and you see the result in his last few years.
    This. You can't afford to pay a franchise QB and then pay a WR 30 million a year. The formula of both the Patriots and Chiefs has been this. Get your QB. Built through the draft and free agents that fit your team and won't break the bank.

23. Post thanked by:

Historian (02-14-2024)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,006 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And I'm sorry, but a big part of that is the lame AFC West, which has essentially been a one-horse pony since the merger.

I'll die on that hill, because that's a big advantage when it comes to playoff seeding and tiebreakers.
    Can’t argue with that. If Chiefs were in our division we definitely would have one 1-2 division titles over the past 6 years with them in our division. Doesn’t mean we would have beaten them in the playoffs tho. Cuz we’ve proven we can yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

thats strictly your opinion.. I disagree right along with 100 experts, if mahomes would have been in this offense he might be on the shelf, they are 2 entirely different schemes, something Allen would thrive in, Mahomes isn't a bruising runner like Allen nor could he take the pounding Allen has endured so far, take Kelce off KC and they don't even make the playoffs .. Mahomes has never been on a none playoff caliber team in his career, Allen was thrown to the fire with no talrnt around him..
    Yes, Josh Allen did not have a "playoff caliber" team around him his rookie year. He did every other year of his career, and especially starting 2020 when the traded for Diggs.

A lot of people around the league were saying the Chiefs were a diminished team when Treek Hill left. Baloney. They have now won two SB's without him, and today have a sad sack group of below average WR's around him. BTW, Kelce was on the team for FIVE YEARS when Smith was QB....not even close to a SB.

No Mahomes...no SB. Mahomes...multiple SB's.

In any event, I presented FACTS about Reid and Mahomes.

The same facts exist for multiple Super Bowl winning coaches. They almost all (Joe Gibbs is the anomaly) won when they had elite QB's, and did not win then they did not have one.

There are only 14 NFL head coaches that have one more than one SB....

Years HC # of Teams # SB Wins QB
    Bill Belichick 24 2 6 All with Tom Brady
    Chuck Noll 23 1 4 All with Terry Bradshw
    Bill Walsh 10 1 3 All with Joe Montana
    Joe Gibbs 16 1 3 Joe Theisman Doug Williams Mark Rypien
    Andy Reid 26 2 3 All with Patrick Mahomes
    Vince Lombardi 9 2 2 Both with Bart Starr
    Tom Flores 12 2 2 Both with Jim Plunkett
    Jimmy Johnson 9 2 2 Both with Troy Aikman
    George Seifert 14 2 2 Joe Montana Steve Young
    Mike Shanahan 20 3 2 Both with John Elway
    Tom Coughlin 21 2 2 Both with Eli Manning
    Bill Parcells 19 4 2 Phil Simms Phil Simms/Jeff Hostetler*
    Don Shula 33 2 2 Both with Bob Griese
    Tom Landry 29 1 2 Both with Roger Staubach

*Phil Simms was the QB that got the 1990 NY Giants to the Super Bowl. He was injured in week #15.

NO NFL HC has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

TWO QB's HAVE. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Two other QB's started a Super Bowls for two different teams...Kurt Warner (won one) and Craig Morton (did not win any as starter).

The anomaly of a HC winning SB's with multiple QB's (two of which were not elite and journeymen) is Joe Gibbs. Notably, those SB wins were before the salary cap era and especially the myriad of rules changes to protect the QB, and exponentially increase the importance of the passing game.

Great QB"s MAKE great coaches.

The most stunning example of that is Bill Belichick. No Brady, not even close to a SB. Brady goes to another team, and he makes long time coach Bruce Arians (FORTY SIX YEARS in coaching at all levels including NINE different NFL franchises for 28 years, including eight years as HC for two different NFL teams) look like a great HC by winning a Super Bowl...the only SB title he ever got.

No Brady....NO SB for Belichick
    No Brady...NO SB for Arians.
    No Patrick Mahomes....NO SB for Reid.

I am not saying that a good head coach is not necessary to win a SB. But if I were to dole out the degree of importance, my opinion for SB success is 75% QB...25% coach.

Josh Allen has at least 10 more years to prove that he is one of those QB's and I predict he WILL win multiple Super Bowls with the Bills and McD as HC. And JOSH will be the reason why.
    Last edited by notacon; 02-14-2024 at 01:17 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-14-2024)