X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: Sean McDermott: It’s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Fairly confident guy from the interview at the combine. I actually liked his presence - about where he's at right now. Not the kind of empty arrogance like Rex when he was hired. Like everyone I'm in "see the baby" mode - I believe McDermott is aware of that. But there is nothing not to like in that interview and I'm not sure anyone you hire to replace him would give you better impression (save for Belichick who would give you no words and you'd still be impressed).

For the record, us fans are mad about no official details regarding the 13-seconds, 12-man field goal blocking etc. from McDermott But if you are in management or an owner, that's EXACTLY what I want to see my day-to-day guy to handle this. I'm 100% sure they know what happened, probably multiple factors involving multiple people and addressed internally. But leaking those details outside the confines of OBD achieves nothing positive for the business you are in.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Re: Sean McDermott: It�s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
      Fairly confident guy from the interview at the combine. I actually liked his presence - about where he's at right now. Not the kind of empty arrogance like Rex when he was hired. Like everyone I'm in "see the baby" mode - I believe McDermott is aware of that. But there is nothing not to like in that interview and I'm not sure anyone you hire to replace him would give you better impression (save for Belichick who would give you no words and you'd still be impressed).

For the record, us fans are mad about no official details regarding the 13-seconds, 12-man field goal blocking etc. from McDermott But if you are in management or an owner, that's EXACTLY what I want to see my day-to-day guy to handle this. I'm 100% sure they know what happened, probably multiple factors involving multiple people and addressed internally. But leaking those details outside the confines of OBD achieves nothing positive for the business you are in.

There really is. Honesty, accountability and transparency are tantamount to the growth mindset McDermott does lip service to but doesn't support. We should embrace people's mistakes more and use them to our advantage -- that is what the growth mindset is about. So don't come to a press conference and tell me baloney about the growth mindset you obviously don't support ... it is pretty challenged in the NFL anyway.

Don't compare McDermott to Rex Ryan though McDermott is a real coach Rex Ryan is a mess of a blow hard.

Comment

• Cntrygal
        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
        • Jul 2002

"When".... I'd like to see it before I die, preferably with a few years to spare.
        Originally posted by notacon
        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Mad Max
          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
          So he didn’t believe the past 5 years when he didn’t achieve? It only gets harder from here.

The window is slammed shut. KC is way ahead of us. We can’t beat Cincy when Burrow is healthy. Jax, Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland… Miami is right on our heels and NJB is a threat if Rodgers is healthy. The conf is getting harder, not easier, and we can’t make up ground cuz of the cap.

Allen and McD will never win a SB in Buffalo. Their chance has come and gone.
          Do you say everything you believe? And isn’t it common knowledge the ultra conservative nature of head coach speak?

Oh and it was shocking to learn that you think the window is shut. I personally don’t have a loser’s mentality so I’m going to go ahead and believe the window is wide open (it is)…many teams not as good as ours have won the Super Bowl. MANY.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
            There really is. Honesty, accountability and transparency are tantamount to the growth mindset McDermott does lip service to but doesn't support. We should embrace people's mistakes more and use them to our advantage -- that is what the growth mindset is about. So don't come to a press conference and tell me baloney about the growth mindset you obviously don't support ... it is pretty challenged in the NFL anyway.

Don't compare McDermott to Rex Ryan though McDermott is a real coach Rex Ryan is a mess of a blow hard.
            That's strong words, honesty, accountability, and transparency. You need context, as in to who? To fans, probably none, as in for all coaches in NFL, not just McDermott. They are judged by wins and losses.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
              Do you say everything you believe? And isn’t it common knowledge the ultra conservative nature of head coach speak?

Oh and it was shocking to learn that you think the window is shut. I personally don’t have a loser’s mentality so I’m going to go ahead and believe the window is wide open (it is)…many teams not as good as ours have won the Super Bowl. MANY.
              But that isn't accurate as most of those occurrences happened in a different environment. In the salary cap era it is pretty clear the teams who win championships are the ones having the players who perform on par or above their contracts for the most part.

So I don't even get it why people are appeased by being under the cap all of a sudden. It's like people don't realize the real goal is better cap management against the competition not to 'remain under the cap'.

KC shed contract weight and drafted well. They won another championship.

We gave out some big contracts and many of our rookies sit on the bench.

It isn't rocket science that we do things contrary to what we see as good winning practice. Maybe it's not a coincidence when McDermott claims he cut his teeth under Reid that he leaves out the fact that Reid fired him.

Finally, I would say eternal optimism is actually a loser attitude because it ignores the things being addressed on other teams that are winning them championships. So you go ahead and think the window is wide open while our management does things that push the window closed and see where that continues to get us ....

Nobody submersed in the Growth mindset is an eternal optimist as it is brutal and insidious to look at yourself this way but productive!

McDermott has a lot of good ideas he just can't get things to come together and get done because he's doesn't run a disciplined enough program do drive people's focus forward and he's a manipulative gas lighter trying to pump people up with the growth mindset. He doesn't really bother teaching people what to do or preparing the team situationally for critical moments. The coaching choices during games can be very suspect and/or downright destructive.

If he wants to put fourth the growth mindset he needs to teach these young people what that is and how to use it. Am not seeing it. See a lot of lip service though.

Teaching would be saying "if" we keep growing we can win a championship not assuming the growth "when" we win a championship.

Coaches have to lie and be full of ****. I get that. He's got the wrong model employed to coach an NFL team and refuses to change.

We are going to need a new coaching staff.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                That's strong words, honesty, accountability, and transparency. You need context, as in to who? To fans, probably none, as in for all coaches in NFL, not just McDermott. They are judged by wins and losses.
                No not really. Mostly to yourself. It effects how you see everything because the context is simply what you are doing and how you can grow.

Diggs goes out for a cross route and Allen throws the ball 2 feet short. Diggs response is to ask himself what HE could have done to help that play succeed NOT worry about that being on Josh Allen.

It is not about fault and/or who is responsible. It simply is the mentality I am very focused on ME and what I need to do to keep growing.

It NEVER happens when people don't feel emotionally safe. There is no emotional safety when there is no trust.

I would even say there are things about being in the NFL that destroy the emotional safety so it's the idea of the growth mindset is fundamentally flawed in the NFL. Just having the media be the way they are destroys the growth mindset in some ways.

Do something else not something that is properly aligned with what you are trying to achieve and can support it not destroy it!
                Last edited by Typ0; 02-27-2024, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

There was an issue in the media last week. The OT we had last year said one of his team mates made a mistake. That was like frigging voodoo and he caught flack for it too.

Why? Because no one feels safe when they are constantly threatened by the media's power and interpretation of things.

Comment

• Mad Max
                    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                    • Mar 2003

But that isn't accurate as most of those occurrences happened in a different environment. In the salary cap era it is pretty clear the teams who win championships are the ones having the players who perform on par or above their contracts for the most part.

So I don't even get it why people are appeased by being under the cap all of a sudden. It's like people don't realize the real goal is better cap management against the competition not to 'remain under the cap'.

KC shed contract weight and drafted well. They won another championship.

We gave out some big contracts and many of our rookies sit on the bench.

It isn't rocket science that we do things contrary to what we see as good winning practice. Maybe it's not a coincidence when McDermott claims he cut his teeth under Reid that he leaves out the fact that Reid fired him.

Finally, I would say eternal optimism is actually a loser attitude because it ignores the things being addressed on other teams that are winning them championships. So you go ahead and think the window is wide open while our management does things that push the window closed and see where that continues to get us ....

Nobody submersed in the Growth mindset is an eternal optimist as it is brutal and insidious to look at yourself this way but productive!

McDermott has a lot of good ideas he just can't get things to come together and get done because he's doesn't run a disciplined enough program do drive people's focus forward and he's a manipulative gas lighter trying to pump people up with the growth mindset. He doesn't really bother teaching people what to do or preparing the team situationally for critical moments. The coaching choices during games can be very suspect and/or downright destructive.

If he wants to put fourth the growth mindset he needs to teach these young people what that is and how to use it. Am not seeing it. See a lot of lip service though.

Teaching would be saying "if" we keep growing we can win a championship not assuming the growth "when" we win a championship.

Coaches have to lie and be full of ****. I get that. He's got the wrong model employed to coach an NFL team and refuses to change.

We are going to need a new coaching staff.
                    Bro. Who hurt you? That was a notty like ramble.

I’ll restate that I’m not a huge fan of McD but since I have no control over any of it I’m not going to sweat it…and we just might catch lightning.

Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer all have rings in the Salary Cap era.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

That post above should read:

Do something else that is properly aligned with what you are trying to achieve and can support it not destroy it!

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Bro. Who hurt you? That was a notty like ramble.

I’ll restate that I’m not a huge fan of McD but since I have no control over any of it I’m not going to sweat it…and we just might catch lightning.

Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer all have rings in the Salary Cap era.
                        Oh I get the catch lightening thing. That is EXACTLY what our problem is!

McDermott's whole thing is to try and find some lightening.

And I'm just asking with the talent on this roster the last 4 years what the hell do we need lightening for?

Because the strategy seems to be focused on finding a way to position us to get lucky while there are other folks in the league doing their due diligence to keep kicking our teeth in.

We blew it on the go all in and win one. The window has been effected.

How are we adjusting our strategy?

"trust the process" we "WILL" win one.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

That was a notty like ramble.
                          Now wait a minute here....I don't see a bunch of hyper liberal cherry picked links to rationalize my bull**** so I don't think that is fair.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

It has nothing to do with anyone's mentality.

We know there are two teams in the conference that we simply can't beat in the playoffs. We don't have the cap space to close the talent gap between us and them. There are several other teams that are gaining on us and either already have or are about to surpass us. And you're using the exception to prove the rule. Maybe a few teams that aren't as good as us won a SB. But there are a LOT more examples of teams as good or better than us that never won a SB.

So, believe whatever you want but it's not the reality of the situation.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mad Max
                              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                              • Mar 2003

Now wait a minute here....I don't see a bunch of hyper liberal cherry picked links to rationalize my bull**** so I don't think that is fair.
                              Haha you’re right I got carried away. My apologies.

Comment

• DetoxTent
                                • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Cntrygal View Post
                                "When".... I'd like to see it before I die, preferably with a few years to spare.
                                That's what my father said when he passed at 80 in 2019. A lifelong Bills fan who had heard the same from several other Bills coaches over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍