Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sean McDermott: It’s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sean McDermott: It’s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Do you say everything you believe? And isn’t it common knowledge the ultra conservative nature of head coach speak?

Oh and it was shocking to learn that you think the window is shut. I personally don’t have a loser’s mentality so I’m going to go ahead and believe the window is wide open (it is)…many teams not as good as ours have won the Super Bowl. MANY.
    But that isn't accurate as most of those occurrences happened in a different environment. In the salary cap era it is pretty clear the teams who win championships are the ones having the players who perform on par or above their contracts for the most part.

So I don't even get it why people are appeased by being under the cap all of a sudden. It's like people don't realize the real goal is better cap management against the competition not to 'remain under the cap'.

KC shed contract weight and drafted well. They won another championship.

We gave out some big contracts and many of our rookies sit on the bench.

It isn't rocket science that we do things contrary to what we see as good winning practice. Maybe it's not a coincidence when McDermott claims he cut his teeth under Reid that he leaves out the fact that Reid fired him.

Finally, I would say eternal optimism is actually a loser attitude because it ignores the things being addressed on other teams that are winning them championships. So you go ahead and think the window is wide open while our management does things that push the window closed and see where that continues to get us ....

Nobody submersed in the Growth mindset is an eternal optimist as it is brutal and insidious to look at yourself this way but productive!

McDermott has a lot of good ideas he just can't get things to come together and get done because he's doesn't run a disciplined enough program do drive people's focus forward and he's a manipulative gas lighter trying to pump people up with the growth mindset. He doesn't really bother teaching people what to do or preparing the team situationally for critical moments. The coaching choices during games can be very suspect and/or downright destructive.

If he wants to put fourth the growth mindset he needs to teach these young people what that is and how to use it. Am not seeing it. See a lot of lip service though.

Teaching would be saying "if" we keep growing we can win a championship not assuming the growth "when" we win a championship.

Coaches have to lie and be full of ****. I get that. He's got the wrong model employed to coach an NFL team and refuses to change.

We are going to need a new coaching staff.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sean McDermott: It�s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    That's strong words, honesty, accountability, and transparency. You need context, as in to who? To fans, probably none, as in for all coaches in NFL, not just McDermott. They are judged by wins and losses.
    No not really. Mostly to yourself. It effects how you see everything because the context is simply what you are doing and how you can grow.

Diggs goes out for a cross route and Allen throws the ball 2 feet short. Diggs response is to ask himself what HE could have done to help that play succeed NOT worry about that being on Josh Allen.

It is not about fault and/or who is responsible. It simply is the mentality I am very focused on ME and what I need to do to keep growing.

It NEVER happens when people don't feel emotionally safe. There is no emotional safety when there is no trust.

I would even say there are things about being in the NFL that destroy the emotional safety so it's the idea of the growth mindset is fundamentally flawed in the NFL. Just having the media be the way they are destroys the growth mindset in some ways.

Do something else not something that is properly aligned with what you are trying to achieve and can support it not destroy it!
    Last edited by Typ0; 02-27-2024 at 01:23 PM.

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There was an issue in the media last week. The OT we had last year said one of his team mates made a mistake. That was like frigging voodoo and he caught flack for it too.

Why? Because no one feels safe when they are constantly threatened by the media's power and interpretation of things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 979 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    But that isn't accurate as most of those occurrences happened in a different environment. In the salary cap era it is pretty clear the teams who win championships are the ones having the players who perform on par or above their contracts for the most part.

So I don't even get it why people are appeased by being under the cap all of a sudden. It's like people don't realize the real goal is better cap management against the competition not to 'remain under the cap'.

KC shed contract weight and drafted well. They won another championship.

We gave out some big contracts and many of our rookies sit on the bench.

It isn't rocket science that we do things contrary to what we see as good winning practice. Maybe it's not a coincidence when McDermott claims he cut his teeth under Reid that he leaves out the fact that Reid fired him.

Finally, I would say eternal optimism is actually a loser attitude because it ignores the things being addressed on other teams that are winning them championships. So you go ahead and think the window is wide open while our management does things that push the window closed and see where that continues to get us ....

Nobody submersed in the Growth mindset is an eternal optimist as it is brutal and insidious to look at yourself this way but productive!

McDermott has a lot of good ideas he just can't get things to come together and get done because he's doesn't run a disciplined enough program do drive people's focus forward and he's a manipulative gas lighter trying to pump people up with the growth mindset. He doesn't really bother teaching people what to do or preparing the team situationally for critical moments. The coaching choices during games can be very suspect and/or downright destructive.

If he wants to put fourth the growth mindset he needs to teach these young people what that is and how to use it. Am not seeing it. See a lot of lip service though.

Teaching would be saying "if" we keep growing we can win a championship not assuming the growth "when" we win a championship.

Coaches have to lie and be full of ****. I get that. He's got the wrong model employed to coach an NFL team and refuses to change.

We are going to need a new coaching staff.
    Bro. Who hurt you? That was a notty like ramble.

I’ll restate that I’m not a huge fan of McD but since I have no control over any of it I’m not going to sweat it…and we just might catch lightning.

Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer all have rings in the Salary Cap era.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That post above should read:

Do something else that is properly aligned with what you are trying to achieve and can support it not destroy it!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bro. Who hurt you? That was a notty like ramble.

I’ll restate that I’m not a huge fan of McD but since I have no control over any of it I’m not going to sweat it…and we just might catch lightning.

Nick Foles, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer all have rings in the Salary Cap era.
    Oh I get the catch lightening thing. That is EXACTLY what our problem is!

McDermott's whole thing is to try and find some lightening.

And I'm just asking with the talent on this roster the last 4 years what the hell do we need lightening for?

Because the strategy seems to be focused on finding a way to position us to get lucky while there are other folks in the league doing their due diligence to keep kicking our teeth in.

We blew it on the go all in and win one. The window has been effected.

How are we adjusting our strategy?

"trust the process" we "WILL" win one.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That was a notty like ramble.
    Now wait a minute here....I don't see a bunch of hyper liberal cherry picked links to rationalize my bull**** so I don't think that is fair.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,308 Times in 13,733 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Do you say everything you believe? And isn’t it common knowledge the ultra conservative nature of head coach speak?

Oh and it was shocking to learn that you think the window is shut. I personally don’t have a loser’s mentality so I’m going to go ahead and believe the window is wide open (it is)…many teams not as good as ours have won the Super Bowl. MANY.
    It has nothing to do with anyone's mentality.

We know there are two teams in the conference that we simply can't beat in the playoffs. We don't have the cap space to close the talent gap between us and them. There are several other teams that are gaining on us and either already have or are about to surpass us. And you're using the exception to prove the rule. Maybe a few teams that aren't as good as us won a SB. But there are a LOT more examples of teams as good or better than us that never won a SB.

So, believe whatever you want but it's not the reality of the situation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Now wait a minute here....I don't see a bunch of hyper liberal cherry picked links to rationalize my bull**** so I don't think that is fair.
    Haha you’re right I got carried away. My apologies.

13. Post thanked by:

Typ0 (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Cntrygal View Post
    "When".... I'd like to see it before I die, preferably with a few years to spare.
    That's what my father said when he passed at 80 in 2019. A lifelong Bills fan who had heard the same from several other Bills coaches over the years.

15. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (03-01-2024)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We're in the 8th year of a program, 7 with Josh Allen, this isn't fresh anymore. They're still working on receivers and a passing offense after just coming up with an ol and a legitimate threat at rb.

They're not a hungry team on fire with enthusiasm...a motivational coach works best with young guys and we patch yearly with vets. They're placid...when not if reflects their yearly blown games....we'll be fine next week or the week after...or the week after.... coach says so.

McD is going to rah rah. I'm tired of it. His players are comfortable in their happy underachiever space because there is always maybe if you just believe and coast along because your boss says it's all dandy.

No.... it's not all dandy, we're losing ground and McD needs to step up his clapping and lip service. Imho.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

McD is going to rah rah. I'm tired of it. His players are comfortable in their happy underachiever space because there is always maybe if you just believe and coast along because your boss says it's all dandy.
    The effects of that are culturally profound! Nice job putting that into words. It's the "Process" they are in they need to "Trust". It's like the Jews trusting the Gestapo and getting onto the train. Our guys don't need to worry about a lot of **** as long as they follow McDermott's process. That is all that really matters.

This can work in a lot of environments not sure about the NFL where you are better off having pissed off intense freaks running the coach over than someone who is so humble the only person they are going to run over is themselves.

But he gets along great with his guys I'm sure he does.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No not really. Mostly to yourself. It effects how you see everything because the context is simply what you are doing and how you can grow.

Diggs goes out for a cross route and Allen throws the ball 2 feet short. Diggs response is to ask himself what HE could have done to help that play succeed NOT worry about that being on Josh Allen.

It is not about fault and/or who is responsible. It simply is the mentality I am very focused on ME and what I need to do to keep growing.

It NEVER happens when people don't feel emotionally safe. There is no emotional safety when there is no trust.

I would even say there are things about being in the NFL that destroy the emotional safety so it's the idea of the growth mindset is fundamentally flawed in the NFL. Just having the media be the way they are destroys the growth mindset in some ways.

Do something else not something that is properly aligned with what you are trying to achieve and can support it not destroy it!
    My point is there is a lot of honesty, accountability, and transparency BEHIND the door. Guys being called out by coaches, by each other. The plays that happened the past Sunday is played to everyone more than you know. They know what is the call from the coaches, they know what happened, who did what. It is pretty much black and white for everyone involved, coaches included. But to us fans, reporters, they lie, maybe white lies. That's the context.

It happens in all line of business as well, different levels. Because there is something called trade secret.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 3,843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My point is there is a lot of honesty, accountability, and transparency BEHIND the door. Guys being called out by coaches, by each other. The plays that happened the past Sunday is played to everyone more than you know. They know what is the call from the coaches, they know what happened, who did what. It is pretty much black and white for everyone involved, coaches included. But to us fans, reporters, they lie, maybe white lies. That's the context.

It happens in all line of business as well, different levels. Because there is something called trade secret.
    And you know what that all leads to, right?

Arrogance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like it or not, a football team, pretty much like a business, is a dictatorship, not a democracy like a government. The holy concept of honesty, accountability, and transparency lives from a rank to the next chain of command, having nothing to do with the public or fans. Thus the ultimate responsibility goes to the ownership. If the ownership sees his subordinates having the honesty, accountability, and transparency, that's the end of it. If the ownership judgement is not up to par, the whole organization is in trouble. In an open market economy, that organization would fold quickly and be replaced by a capable one. But NFL is not exactly open market - teams like the Bills with 17 years draught still survived.

Don't for a minute think Terry Pegula is hands off. When he purchased team, he consulted a lot of people. Bill Polian suggested him to hire a football czar to oversee football operations. Pegula didn't go for that, instead he has HC and GM report to him directly. He wants to know what is going on. And McDermott is not his first hire either.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 3,843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like it or not, a football team, pretty much like a business, is a dictatorship, not a democracy like a government. The holy concept of honesty, accountability, and transparency lives from a rank to the next chain of command, having nothing to do with the public or fans. Thus the ultimate responsibility goes to the ownership. If the ownership sees his subordinates having the honesty, accountability, and transparency, that's the end of it. If the ownership judgement is not up to par, the whole organization is in trouble. In an open market economy, that organization would fold quickly and be replaced by a capable one. But NFL is not exactly open market - teams like the Bills with 17 years draught still survived.

Don't for a minute think Terry Pegula is hands off. When he purchased team, he consulted a lot of people. Bill Polian suggested him to hire a football czar to oversee football operations. Pegula didn't go for that, instead he has HC and GM report to him directly. He wants to know what is going on. And McDermott is not his first hire either.
    I'm not expecting honesty. But dont't be hypocritical. Don't preach hungry and humble and then act entitled and arrogant.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,702 Times in 7,762 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have confidence (although not necessarily "full" confidence) in Sean McDermott as head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

The fans that DO NOT don't matter very much because......

The ONLY person's opinion that matters, Terry Pegula, is 100% McD and he has his full support and has backed that up with a contract through 2027.

Plus, as we found out today with the NFLPA's annual "report card" of players, the BILLS PLAYERS have full confidence in McD as coach....and the players love ownership.

McD gets an "A" grade from the players.

Pegula gets an "A-" grade from the players.

Interestingly, KC players give Reid an "A+", but gave ownership an "F-"....32nd in the NFL. Ouch!!!

Basically, right now, the belly aching from the "fans" about McD is whistling in the wind.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I have confidence (although not necessarily "full" confidence) in Sean McDermott as head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

The fans that DO NOT don't matter very much because......

The ONLY person's opinion that matters, Terry Pegula, is 100% McD and he has his full support and has backed that up with a contract through 2027.

Plus, as we found out today with the NFLPA's annual "report card" of players, the BILLS PLAYERS have full confidence in McD as coach....and the players love ownership.

McD gets an "A" grade from the players.

Pegula gets an "A-" grade from the players.

Interestingly, KC players give Reid an "A+", but gave ownership an "F-"....32nd in the NFL. Ouch!!!

Basically, right now, the belly aching from the "fans" about McD is whistling in the wind.
    Correct. Like it or not Opie is our head coach in 2024 so why people hand-wring wishing it weren’t so I don’t understand.

He also absolutely is on a timer which the hand-wringers refuse to believe. I personally don’t think he has more than one more collapse left.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It has nothing to do with anyone's mentality.

We know there are two teams in the conference that we simply can't beat in the playoffs. We don't have the cap space to close the talent gap between us and them. There are several other teams that are gaining on us and either already have or are about to surpass us. And you're using the exception to prove the rule. Maybe a few teams that aren't as good as us won a SB. But there are a LOT more examples of teams as good or better than us that never won a SB.

So, believe whatever you want but it's not the reality of the situation.
    You can’t say we can’t beat them. If KCs defense was in the position ours was in, we’d probably have won. If Hamlin didn’t die and come back to life, maybe the team wouldn’t have been so emotionally drained. Too many variables each season.

KC got lucky…they beat the Bills who had no LBs. They beat the Ravens who stopped running the ball like they had for 18 games. They beat the 49ers who inexplicably stopped giving the ball to McCaffery in the 3rd quarter.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    You can’t say we can’t beat them. If KCs defense was in the position ours was in, we’d probably have won. If Hamlin didn’t die and come back to life, maybe the team wouldn’t have been so emotionally drained. Too many variables each season.

KC got lucky…they beat the Bills who had no LBs. They beat the Ravens who stopped running the ball like they had for 18 games. They beat the 49ers who inexplicably stopped giving the ball to McCaffery in the 3rd quarter.
    They did not get lucky they outcoached everyone and played smarter football. We don't prepare for that under McDermott how many times do you have to see the consequences?