Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sean McDermott: It’s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Thanks
    Thanked 7,609 Times in 6,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sean McDermott: It’s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

McDermott has gone 73-41 in the regular season since becoming the Bills’ head coach in 2017 and the Bills have advanced to the postseason in all but one of his seasons with the team, but they have not been able to get past the Chiefs or Bengals over the last five seasons. While that’s led to questions from others about whether McDermott is the right coach to push the Bills over the finish line, there’s no inner doubt about what the future holds for the team.

“It’s not a matter of if. It’s just a matter of when,” McDermott said, via Tim Graham of TheAthletic.com. “That is the relentless pursuit.”

Sean McDermott- It's a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl - NBC Sports
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

Thanks
    Thanked 11,713 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sean McDermott: It’s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

The full interview and article that NBC Sports refers to is from (where else...the best sports media source) The Athletic, by Tim Graham. It is a fantastic article....

Undeterred in Super Bowl pursuit, Bills coach Sean McDermott says “when, not if”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And a big problem he has is being submersed in believing his own narcissistic bull**** and not making adjustments. Same ole same ole will get the same results .... so I say it remains an "IF".

4. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024),OpIv37 (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm tired of the rhetoric.

Shut up until you put up.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

6. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (02-27-2024),Mace (02-27-2024),Novacane (02-26-2024),OpIv37 (02-27-2024),Typ0 (02-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,846 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The arrogance knows no bounds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’m not the guys biggest supporter but don’t understand the hate on this comment. You gotta believe before you achieve.

Also he’s now just bet his reputation. Takes courage and I commend him for it.

9. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (03-01-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,846 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I’m not the guys biggest supporter but don’t understand the hate on this comment. You gotta believe before you achieve.

Humble and hungry. Not

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What else is he going to say? "Super Bowl? Nah, I really don't see that happening."?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    What else is he going to say? "Super Bowl? Nah, I really don't see that happening."?
    He could have easily said nothing. There was no gun to his head. Most coaches (including McDermott) anre very good ant saying nothing most of the time… even when they’re speaking.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There have been good coaches who have won one Super Bowl due to a series of bounces going their way. Can't say definitively McDermott can't be one of those guys because he can.

That is 'IF' talk.

'When' talk starts when McDermotts name belongs with Belicheck; Reid; Parcells; Shula...

Give me a ****ing break. McDermott is humble my ass. I want to love the guy and be all excited like a lot of people but my truth is the likely hood is he's already coached his best team and he's not going to be able to get over the hump. It is NOT Josh Allen as this late game cluster**** of communication has been here since the moment McDermott got here not Allen.

McDermott is charged with examining everything and making it better -- that includes himself. He's not humble enough and too committed to things that are tried and true marginal. He deserves the criticism in this thread. McDermott has a giant painting of himself hanging over his desk and is more like Dark Helmut than Darth Vader.

15. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,424 Times in 7,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whatever Sean. I've tuned you out.

17. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,313 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So he didn’t believe the past 5 years when he didn’t achieve? It only gets harder from here.

The window is slammed shut. KC is way ahead of us. We can’t beat Cincy when Burrow is healthy. Jax, Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland… Miami is right on our heels and NJB is a threat if Rodgers is healthy. The conf is getting harder, not easier, and we can’t make up ground cuz of the cap.

Allen and McD will never win a SB in Buffalo. Their chance has come and gone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    And a big problem he has is being submersed in believing his own narcissistic bull**** and not making adjustments. Same ole same ole will get the same results .... so I say it remains an "IF".
    And now Beane's contracts have caught up with themselves. Even with the bump in cap. Why did he agree to this year's number for Von Miller when he did that contract?

20. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's the off-season. Nobody's listening. They're just words. Let's see the actions. The actions haven't matched the words with McDermott.

22. Post thanked by:

Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like the confidence and I’m sure his players appreciate that attitude. The NFL is tough.

24. Post thanked by:

notacon (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Fairly confident guy from the interview at the combine. I actually liked his presence - about where he's at right now. Not the kind of empty arrogance like Rex when he was hired. Like everyone I'm in "see the baby" mode - I believe McDermott is aware of that. But there is nothing not to like in that interview and I'm not sure anyone you hire to replace him would give you better impression (save for Belichick who would give you no words and you'd still be impressed).

For the record, us fans are mad about no official details regarding the 13-seconds, 12-man field goal blocking etc. from McDermott But if you are in management or an owner, that's EXACTLY what I want to see my day-to-day guy to handle this. I'm 100% sure they know what happened, probably multiple factors involving multiple people and addressed internally. But leaking those details outside the confines of OBD achieves nothing positive for the business you are in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sean McDermott: It�s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Fairly confident guy from the interview at the combine. I actually liked his presence - about where he's at right now. Not the kind of empty arrogance like Rex when he was hired. Like everyone I'm in "see the baby" mode - I believe McDermott is aware of that. But there is nothing not to like in that interview and I'm not sure anyone you hire to replace him would give you better impression (save for Belichick who would give you no words and you'd still be impressed).

For the record, us fans are mad about no official details regarding the 13-seconds, 12-man field goal blocking etc. from McDermott But if you are in management or an owner, that's EXACTLY what I want to see my day-to-day guy to handle this. I'm 100% sure they know what happened, probably multiple factors involving multiple people and addressed internally. But leaking those details outside the confines of OBD achieves nothing positive for the business you are in.

There really is. Honesty, accountability and transparency are tantamount to the growth mindset McDermott does lip service to but doesn't support. We should embrace people's mistakes more and use them to our advantage -- that is what the growth mindset is about. So don't come to a press conference and tell me baloney about the growth mindset you obviously don't support ... it is pretty challenged in the NFL anyway.

Don't compare McDermott to Rex Ryan though McDermott is a real coach Rex Ryan is a mess of a blow hard.

27. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (02-27-2024)

Visually stunning but camera-shy. Cntrygal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,593 Times in 4,537 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"When".... I'd like to see it before I die, preferably with a few years to spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

29. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (02-27-2024),Mace (02-27-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    So he didn’t believe the past 5 years when he didn’t achieve? It only gets harder from here.

The window is slammed shut. KC is way ahead of us. We can’t beat Cincy when Burrow is healthy. Jax, Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland… Miami is right on our heels and NJB is a threat if Rodgers is healthy. The conf is getting harder, not easier, and we can’t make up ground cuz of the cap.

Allen and McD will never win a SB in Buffalo. Their chance has come and gone.
    Do you say everything you believe? And isn’t it common knowledge the ultra conservative nature of head coach speak?

Oh and it was shocking to learn that you think the window is shut. I personally don’t have a loser’s mentality so I’m going to go ahead and believe the window is wide open (it is)…many teams not as good as ours have won the Super Bowl. MANY.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sean McDermott: It�s a matter of when, not if, we win a Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    There really is. Honesty, accountability and transparency are tantamount to the growth mindset McDermott does lip service to but doesn't support. We should embrace people's mistakes more and use them to our advantage -- that is what the growth mindset is about. So don't come to a press conference and tell me baloney about the growth mindset you obviously don't support ... it is pretty challenged in the NFL anyway.

Don't compare McDermott to Rex Ryan though McDermott is a real coach Rex Ryan is a mess of a blow hard.
    That's strong words, honesty, accountability, and transparency. You need context, as in to who? To fans, probably none, as in for all coaches in NFL, not just McDermott. They are judged by wins and losses.