• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Merged Thread: NFL Bans Drop Hip Tackles

Hip-drop tackles are much more dangerous than other tackles, according to the NFL executive in charge of health and safety issues.

NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Miller said today that the injury rate on hip-drop tackles is about 20 to 25 times greater than on other tackles. Miller also said defensive players are using hip-drop tackles more than ever before.

Given those concerns, Miller said “it’s certainly my hope” that the NFL will ban hip drops this off-season, according to Judy Battista of NFL Media.

Still, there are real concerns about whether hip-drop tackles can be defined adequately to create a rule that the players understand and the officials call consistently. A hip-drop tackle could loosely be defined as when a tackler grabs a ball carrier and drops his body weight directly onto the ball carrier’s legs or back, but the precise language of the rule will be important.

NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles - NBC Sports

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Rule changes for 2024/ Hip drop…

Is now a 15 yarder.

NFL owners have approved a rule proposal to ban the swivel hip-drop tackle, the league announced Monday.

This one although needed to be implemented imo is also going to be controversial as subjectivity is going to play a big part in many cases.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Re: Rule changes for 2024/ Hip drop…

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
      Is now a 15 yarder.

NFL owners have approved a rule proposal to ban the swivel hip-drop tackle, the league announced Monday.

This one although needed to be implemented imo is also going to be controversial as subjectivity is going to play a big part in many cases.
      By all means let's give the arbitrary confused officials more to influence game outcome. Maybe the league can tinker more with catch rules and mandate hiring of the visually impaired to advance the sport further....an Antarctic game for that untapped polar scientist market....shorten the field to cut down on all this running around stuff....

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

League is becoming an absolute circus.

More power in the hands of refs to decide outcomes of games.

This is football.

Pretty soon players will have colored areas on their uniforms where you're only allowed to hit them, yet runners can stiff arm a defender right in head and have no consequences.

This is a joke

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

This is a good move. Players are there for our entertainment but they are not gladiators waiting for the lions. This will help reduce injuries.

The other change that may be coming is on kickoffs. Could be going to the XFL method which would be cool. Kickoffs now are basically all touchbacks.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

NFL Bans the "Hip Drop" Tackle with uselessly vague wording

Yep, competition committee has banned the "hip drop tackle", you'll love the definition which can be summed up as, "grabbing onto another player, and leaving your feet, and then landing on their legs" which is a way i might describe 90% of tackles. This is going to cause teams to lose football games. I don't see why anyone would willingly go down now, just fight through a tackle, you might get a free 15 yards just on chance some ref thinks it was a hip drop tackle. worse, games will turn on these seemingly random ref calls, where some tackles will be fine, and some illegal yet both look identical. Can you imagine trying to legally tackle Josh Allen anymore? I mean yes, this is tremendous to JA, i'm not even sure it's legal to tackle him anymore, but can you imagine a superbowl turning on some dumbass call like this?

big mistake by the league.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• jamze132
                • Jun 2003

Re: NFL Bans the "Hip Drop" Tackle with uselessly vague wording

You’re going to see more guys than ever simply punching at the ball in lieu of trying to tackle them. Ridiculous.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Re: NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles

The league takes action.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
                  163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

Re: NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles

I don't believe those numbers. the tackles the league ALWAYS use to show as an example of a hipdrop tackle are almost never a hip drop tackle by the definition rugby gives. someone got on this because Patrick Mahomes was injured in 2022 due to a sack in the pocket. Why do I accuse the league of making up these numbers? because every time the league talks about hipdrops they drop the mahomes injury against the jaguars in the 2022 season.

that sack wasn't a hip drop tackle by any definition except the super vague new rule they just made. I guarantee that clean sack will end up being penalized now even though its not a hip drop tackle because it might have knocked a star qb out of a game once. the league was really careful about wording the new rule to be vague enough to make tackling anyone a penalty now.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

I would like to add one more point. Pat McAfee was saying this a few months ago about this issue, that the injury rate to players legs on tackle plays went up when the league cracked down on head to head collisions. in short, the league didn't want you tackling high, so they started tackling low. if there is anything to blame for a high rate of leg injuries on tackles it was the unintended consequences of the helmet to helmet cte thing. Now how are they supposed to tackle anyone? they can't leave their feet, they cant land on legs. they can't body slam guys they can't hit them in the grill. at this point you'll have to wrap them up, and stop their forward momentum without leaving your feet. explain how that works when you're trying to stop Nick Chubb?

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                        I would like to add one more point. Pat McAfee was saying this a few months ago about this issue, that the injury rate to players legs on tackle plays went up when the league cracked down on head to head collisions. in short, the league didn't want you tackling high, so they started tackling low. if there is anything to blame for a high rate of leg injuries on tackles it was the unintended consequences of the helmet to helmet cte thing. Now how are they supposed to tackle anyone? they can't leave their feet, they cant land on legs. they can't body slam guys they can't hit them in the grill. at this point you'll have to wrap them up, and stop their forward momentum without leaving your feet. explain how that works when you're trying to stop Nick Chubb?
                        I cringe anytime I see someone get hit low.

I feel like there was a recent poll of players that showed they'd rather have a concussion than a torn ACL.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Re: Merged Thread: NFL Bans Drop Hip Tackles

I merged three threads together into one here.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                            • Mar 2004

You all complain but it has a 20X higher rate of injury and personally I'd rather not lose Josh for the season because some idiot rolls through his legs.

It's easy to see them, and it'll be no different than a horse collar.

What a bunch of "get off my lawn" old men.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
                            Sooooo,, you want to bring back headshots?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                              You all complain but it has a 20X higher rate of injury and personally I'd rather not lose Josh for the season because some idiot rolls through his legs.

It's easy to see them, and it'll be no different than a horse collar.

What a bunch of "get off my lawn" old men.

- - - Updated - - -

Sooooo,, you want to bring back headshots?
                              Not sure how we are being "get off my lawn" old men. This is a purely objectionable call that is put into the hands of proven to be incompetent people. They can't even get the horse collar rule correct half of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍