Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merged Thread: NFL Bans Drop Hip Tackles

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Merged Thread: NFL Bans Drop Hip Tackles

Hip-drop tackles are much more dangerous than other tackles, according to the NFL executive in charge of health and safety issues.

NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Miller said today that the injury rate on hip-drop tackles is about 20 to 25 times greater than on other tackles. Miller also said defensive players are using hip-drop tackles more than ever before.

Given those concerns, Miller said “it’s certainly my hope” that the NFL will ban hip drops this off-season, according to Judy Battista of NFL Media.

Still, there are real concerns about whether hip-drop tackles can be defined adequately to create a rule that the players understand and the officials call consistently. A hip-drop tackle could loosely be defined as when a tackler grabs a ball carrier and drops his body weight directly onto the ball carrier’s legs or back, but the precise language of the rule will be important.

NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles - NBC Sports

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rule changes for 2024/ Hip drop…

Is now a 15 yarder.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ling-technique

This one although needed to be implemented imo is also going to be controversial as subjectivity is going to play a big part in many cases.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rule changes for 2024/ Hip drop…

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Is now a 15 yarder.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ling-technique

This one although needed to be implemented imo is also going to be controversial as subjectivity is going to play a big part in many cases.
    By all means let's give the arbitrary confused officials more to influence game outcome. Maybe the league can tinker more with catch rules and mandate hiring of the visually impaired to advance the sport further....an Antarctic game for that untapped polar scientist market....shorten the field to cut down on all this running around stuff....

4. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-27-2024),ParanoidAndroid (03-26-2024),YardRat (03-25-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

League is becoming an absolute circus.

More power in the hands of refs to decide outcomes of games.

This is football.

Pretty soon players will have colored areas on their uniforms where you're only allowed to hit them, yet runners can stiff arm a defender right in head and have no consequences.

This is a joke

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is a good move. Players are there for our entertainment but they are not gladiators waiting for the lions. This will help reduce injuries.

The other change that may be coming is on kickoffs. Could be going to the XFL method which would be cool. Kickoffs now are basically all touchbacks.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

NFL Bans the "Hip Drop" Tackle with uselessly vague wording

Yep, competition committee has banned the "hip drop tackle", you'll love the definition which can be summed up as, "grabbing onto another player, and leaving your feet, and then landing on their legs" which is a way i might describe 90% of tackles. This is going to cause teams to lose football games. I don't see why anyone would willingly go down now, just fight through a tackle, you might get a free 15 yards just on chance some ref thinks it was a hip drop tackle. worse, games will turn on these seemingly random ref calls, where some tackles will be fine, and some illegal yet both look identical. Can you imagine trying to legally tackle Josh Allen anymore? I mean yes, this is tremendous to JA, i'm not even sure it's legal to tackle him anymore, but can you imagine a superbowl turning on some dumbass call like this?

big mistake by the league.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

9. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL Bans the "Hip Drop" Tackle with uselessly vague wording

You’re going to see more guys than ever simply punching at the ball in lieu of trying to tackle them. Ridiculous.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles

The league takes action.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles

I don't believe those numbers. the tackles the league ALWAYS use to show as an example of a hipdrop tackle are almost never a hip drop tackle by the definition rugby gives. someone got on this because Patrick Mahomes was injured in 2022 due to a sack in the pocket. Why do I accuse the league of making up these numbers? because every time the league talks about hipdrops they drop the mahomes injury against the jaguars in the 2022 season.

that sack wasn't a hip drop tackle by any definition except the super vague new rule they just made. I guarantee that clean sack will end up being penalized now even though its not a hip drop tackle because it might have knocked a star qb out of a game once. the league was really careful about wording the new rule to be vague enough to make tackling anyone a penalty now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would like to add one more point. Pat McAfee was saying this a few months ago about this issue, that the injury rate to players legs on tackle plays went up when the league cracked down on head to head collisions. in short, the league didn't want you tackling high, so they started tackling low. if there is anything to blame for a high rate of leg injuries on tackles it was the unintended consequences of the helmet to helmet cte thing. Now how are they supposed to tackle anyone? they can't leave their feet, they cant land on legs. they can't body slam guys they can't hit them in the grill. at this point you'll have to wrap them up, and stop their forward momentum without leaving your feet. explain how that works when you're trying to stop Nick Chubb?

14. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    I would like to add one more point. Pat McAfee was saying this a few months ago about this issue, that the injury rate to players legs on tackle plays went up when the league cracked down on head to head collisions. in short, the league didn't want you tackling high, so they started tackling low. if there is anything to blame for a high rate of leg injuries on tackles it was the unintended consequences of the helmet to helmet cte thing. Now how are they supposed to tackle anyone? they can't leave their feet, they cant land on legs. they can't body slam guys they can't hit them in the grill. at this point you'll have to wrap them up, and stop their forward momentum without leaving your feet. explain how that works when you're trying to stop Nick Chubb?
    I cringe anytime I see someone get hit low.

I feel like there was a recent poll of players that showed they'd rather have a concussion than a torn ACL.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Merged Thread: NFL Bans Drop Hip Tackles

I merged three threads together into one here.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You all complain but it has a 20X higher rate of injury and personally I'd rather not lose Josh for the season because some idiot rolls through his legs.

It's easy to see them, and it'll be no different than a horse collar.

What a bunch of "get off my lawn" old men.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    Sooooo,, you want to bring back headshots?

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    You all complain but it has a 20X higher rate of injury and personally I'd rather not lose Josh for the season because some idiot rolls through his legs.

It's easy to see them, and it'll be no different than a horse collar.

What a bunch of "get off my lawn" old men.

- - - Updated - - -

Sooooo,, you want to bring back headshots?
    Not sure how we are being "get off my lawn" old men. This is a purely objectionable call that is put into the hands of proven to be incompetent people. They can't even get the horse collar rule correct half of the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think myself, and others, would have a much positive outlook on this rule change if it also included the implementation of full-time officials who can actually be trained year round and held accountable for incorrect calls.

20. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-27-2024),jamze132 (03-27-2024),OpIv37 (03-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,312 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I think myself, and others, would have a much positive outlook on this rule change if it also included the implementation of full-time officials who can actually be trained year round and held accountable for incorrect calls.
    That’s the thing. These “discretion” rules are always implemented subjectively and bad calls will cost teams games.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    That’s the thing. These “discretion” rules are always implemented subjectively and bad calls will cost teams games.
    And it won't be consistent from one crew to the next.

That's kind of a persistent issue as of late. Teams being disadvantaged by crew assignment shouldn't be a thing.

23. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm going to post this video again. this is Geno Smith getting injured; the NFL cited this injury specifically as a Hip Drop Tackle when talking about the new rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cNFqUqbXKI

Notice, the giants defender has let go of geno smith before landing on him, look at the angle. tell me how he was supposed to tackle geno smith on this play?

here is another league cited example of a hip drop tackle. this time mark andrews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fa3smREgzo

look at the spot on the field this happens. tell me how is he supposed to be tackled here? YES this is actually a hip drop tackle (I'd debate the geno smith one, but this clearly was) but this is football. what is the defender supposed to be. look at the angle he has on mark andrews. the only way this doesn't become a hip drop tackle is if he risks a blow to mark andrew's head and go for a hit up high.

now look at this injury. the victim this time? Patrick Mahomes. Now to the league's credit, after passing this rule, they didn't cite mahomes injury on this play, however, I would like to point out, leading up to the banning of the hip drop tackle, this play was cited every single time as a play that needed to be banned. and i fear with the wording on the new rule, this play COULD now be flagged as a 15 yarder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBKHbbYBXQ

Again, i'm all for player safety, but you can't convince me no1 is actually a hip drop tackle (I guess it is according to the new rules, but seriously what is the defender supposed to do there?), no.2 is a hip drop tackle, but short of letting andrews run for a TD how is that defender supposed to tackle him. please explain that in language this dumb ex-jock can understand it because i don't see how he could tackle mark andrews legally anymore, short of diving at his ankles, which might even be a penalty under the hip drop rules now. And no.3 is no hip drop tackle by any explanation i've seen though the league used it as an example of a hip drop tackle in the lead up to banning it and then worded the rule so vaguely it might actually now be a 15 yarder.

I think no.3 is the most offensive to me, because there will be teams losing games for calls like that one (if it was called a hip drop tackle)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,193 Times in 5,920 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oddly enough the guy that injured Andrew’s injured Pollard the year before… I was taught wrap up the legs. That’s the legs that are below hips. Grabbing Andrew’s hip and hanging on while you are flung around so that full weight is on the legs doesn’t need to happen.

Wrap up the legs people