Thread: Lots a gold nuggets from Eric Wood podcast with Aaron Kromer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lots a gold nuggets from Eric Wood podcast with Aaron Kromer

Eric Wood seems to have a nice mix of inside the locker room fun stories and yet some interesting Xs and Os especially on the O-Line. Kromer is a good talker as well. They really seems to fit and talk for hours. Some highlights:
    1. Don't expect Brady's offense next year to be much different. I'm actually surprised Kromer let this one out. He, as an active O-Line coach of the Bills, thinks it will just be called differently.
    2. Allen lobbies to get a QB run called early in games so he can get the "pads fit right." Haha.
    3. Kromer also details why they pulled tackles so much instead of guards which is more common in O-Line play in NFL - they (Dion and Spencer) are so athletic.
    4. On Cook's success - they figured out what he's looking and how he thinks. Now I'm concerned that defenses may figure that out as well.
    5. Eric mentioned when he was playing, he had to watch films on his own to figure out a couple of plays where he got beat and not letting it past the night. Then Kromer talked about something similar of O'Cyrus' reaction on the sideline when he got beat. It gives me great hope that O'Cyrus may have the same passion and go the same route as Wood had been with the Bills. Also Kromer mentioned O'Cyrus is the only player on offense played every offensive down, every extra point, and field goal attempt, and punts. He played a lot.
    6. Coach's life - expect 18 hours at the office. More for coordinators and HC.

Are we looking at an O-line where Morse might be the worst player now?

2. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (03-04-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Lots a gold nuggets from Eric Wood podcast with Aaron Kromer

I think he is better than McGovern, but the line is hell of a lot better than it has been. And with Bates has at least one guy that is solid depth
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,569 Times in 17,451 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brown still holds that title, IMO, his pass-pro still is sketchy. And I'm not comfortable with Bates behind Morris, I want a legit center.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I hope Brady develops more creative pass routes and layers to get guys open and help with read. Reids Super Bowl winning play should be in every team's playbook as well. I know everyone harps execution, but creativity has to be there as well.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I get what you saying Turf. But what Kromer said regarding the Dallas is very true and somewhat big picture stuff: getting 8 yards on those runs is the same as a passing play and it is high percentage. I know that game is an exception but if they can somehow average 1/3 of Cook's output of the Dallas game on a season, I can dream what the Bills offense output will be like.

Another point Kromer made is that it is very hard to throw the ball in the redzone. It is why having Josh's leg is so important and he scores so many TD by himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 979 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I get what you saying Turf. But what Kromer said regarding the Dallas is very true and somewhat big picture stuff: getting 8 yards on those runs is the same as a passing play and it is high percentage. I know that game is an exception but if they can somehow average 1/3 of Cook's output of the Dallas game on a season, I can dream what the Bills offense output will be like.

Another point Kromer made is that it is very hard to throw the ball in the redzone. It is why having Josh's leg is so important and he scores so many TD by himself.
    I don’t see why we couldn’t keep the power running game while adding back in the creativity of Daboll’s pass calling?

That would be a deadly combo. It doesn’t have to be either or.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I don’t see why we couldn’t keep the power running game while adding back in the creativity of Daboll’s pass calling?

That would be a deadly combo. It doesn’t have to be either or.
    No one is saying either or. All the respected former HCs like Dungy and Cowher, and analysts are saying we swing the pendulum too far. First 2 years under McDermott, it is McCoy or nothing. Afterwards it is Allen or nothing. The defense is there in regular season, but nothing in the playoffs against great QBs.

Getting the right balance is what they have been trying and last year, especially after Brady took over the offense, it looks like they are finding something that will stick.

In the bigger picture, there needs to be a balance of offense and defense as well. I'm tired seeing the D piling on offense success and beating teams 41 - 10 in regular season, but in the playoff when the going gets tough for offense, the D tanks as well, losing 24 - 27.