Thanks
    Thanked 16,508 Times in 12,046 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Mittlestadt traded for byram

Thanks
    Thanked 5,858 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I know nothing of Byram but looking at his stats, he doesn’t appear to be our worst defender!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I know nothing of Byram but looking at his stats, he doesn’t appear to be our worst defender!
    4oa pick in 19. He's going to be 23. He should be starting his ascent to stardom, one would hope

5. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,309 Times in 13,733 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not sure how I feel about this. Mitts is a legit top 6 fwd and we can't afford to lose scoring, but we still need some help on defense.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this. Mitts is a legit top 6 fwd and we can't afford to lose scoring, but we still need some help on defense.
    The sabres are loaded with forward depth in the pipeline. It hurts losing Mittlestadt, but to address the weak defense, a quality forward had to go. Mittlestadt is probably the easiest to swallow out of all

Mittlestadts value is unlikely to ever be higher, and the Sabres have a history of holding on to valuable players past their peak value and taking less than they could have.

This move shores up the long term need for defense while opening the door for some of that young talent. .

Of course, this move comes with risk. Maybe Byram never hits his ceiling or even close to it. Maybe Mittlestadt was just a late bloomer and has more in him. Time will tell. But the Sabres have to hit on a trade like this someday. Maybe this is it?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    The sabres are loaded with forward depth in the pipeline. It hurts losing Mittlestadt, but to address the weak defense, a quality forward had to go. Mittlestadt is probably the easiest to swallow out of all

Mittlestadts value is unlikely to ever be higher, and the Sabres have a history of holding on to valuable players past their peak value and taking less than they could have.

This move shores up the long term need for defense while opening the door for some of that young talent. .

Of course, this move comes with risk. Maybe Byram never hits his ceiling or even close to it. Maybe Mittlestadt was just a late bloomer and has more in him. Time will tell. But the Sabres have to hit on a trade like this someday. Maybe this is it?
    It wouldn't shock me if Mitts becomes a superstar. Seems to be a trend for guys leaving the Sabres lately. As far as Byram, I just don't know anything about him to really comment.

It does seem to be waving the white flag on the season, which is fine by me. I'd rather prepare for the future than take the long shot that we make the playoffs this season. Even if we miraculously sneak in we'd get murdered in the first round.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It wouldn't shock me if Mitts becomes a superstar. Seems to be a trend for guys leaving the Sabres lately. As far as Byram, I just don't know anything about him to really comment.

It does seem to be waving the white flag on the season, which is fine by me. I'd rather prepare for the future than take the long shot that we make the playoffs this season. Even if we miraculously sneak in we'd get murdered in the first round.
    This was all about next year and beyond. This move is designed to add to the core.

It's entirely possible mitts goes on to even better heights. It's also entirely possible Byram develops into the star his draft slot value is.

This very well could be a huge win for both teams.

It also shows Adams knows he fugged up and is making necessary changes to address this seasons failure.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think the Sabres are done. They have people in the pipeline but no superstars there. Mittelstadt was so solid and so non-problematic. I always liked him, even in the years he could have produced more. His career was adversely affected by the dysfunction of the Sabres team. I expect he will shine in Colorado. I hope he has fun and gets his due recognition. A good guy. The Sabres problems were never due to Mittelstadt. Glad he got out. The Sabres problems are due to ownership. Fire the fat, smiling Polack.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,516 Times in 4,889 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    4oa pick in 19. He's going to be 23. He should be starting his ascent to stardom, one would hope
    AND he has a Cup to his credit, too.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Thanked 5,858 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He looked pretty good in his debut.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    He looked pretty good in his debut.
    Well yeah there’s this:

https://x.com/sabreunfiltered/status...pqW9zJxr5mAG8w

He seemed to know more about the PP than anyone on the ice for the Sabres even though he just got there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here is what Kevyn Adams is saying about this trade:

Quote Originally Posted by wgr550.com
    The first deal was Casey Mittelstadt going to the Colorado Avalanche for Bo Byram. General Manager Kevyn Adams said if he was going to trade a player as good as Mittelstadt, it would have to get him a good player back. Adams said,“I have an incredible amount of respect for Casey and he’s loved in that locker-room and I was not shopping him, he was a sought after player and it’s no secret that I’ve been working for a couple of years to find a defenseman and it’s really tough in this league to find a top pair talent that Bo Byram is at that age because you generally have to draft them.

“It was something that I’d say that had been worked on for a while.”

Adams feels with Mittelstadt gone it’ll be more of an opportunity for Peyton Krebs as well as the young centers drafted in the first round two years ago in Jiri Kulich, Noah Ostlund and Matt Savoie.

Adams said he looked into trading for a veteran centerman, but he feels there may be better options over the summer.

As far as what the Sabres got in Byram, Adams said, “Bo is everything I look for in a defenseman and I love his ability to get up into the play and move the puck and his calmness and his skating ability and I think he has more offensive upside than he’s been able to completely show.

“He’s a guy that can play both sides and he likes the right side and with his age, he’s a guy that can really mature and grow in this group.”
    LINK

15. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (03-10-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well yeah there’s this:
    https://x.com/sabreunfiltered/status...pqW9zJxr5mAG8w
    He seemed to know more about the PP than anyone on the ice for the Sabres even though he just got there.
    This guy comments on a Casey Mittelstadt quote on joining the Avs:

Mittelstadt on Avs: "That's probably the most I've sweat in a morning skate in a long time. Selfishly, what an opportunity for me and the team, I think. I've played against them and I hated playing against them. So definitely excited to join them and I'd love to help them win."
    Suggests that the reason that the Sabres keep starting every game so slow is they are unprepared at pre-game skates. Granato was apparently not a fan of how Krueger ran pre-game skate sessions.

LINK - read the comments.

17. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-09-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bowen, Cozens, Krebs & Bryson in Cancun over the All-Star Break. Was this move coming for awhile?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post

Bowen, Cozens, Krebs & Bryson in Cancun over the All-Star Break. Was this move coming for awhile?
    I think many of them played together in amateur hockey in western Canada.