Let him walk.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: mitch morse released

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Gabe Davis?

Ugh.

Let him walk.
    I am positive he wants $15M/yr on a 5 year contract and the Bills are not offering more than $10M and a shorter contract because they are not sold on him ever being a #1 WR.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,313 Times in 15,459 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think they're sold on him being the #2 receiver.

4. Post thanked by:

DetoxTent (03-09-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I kind of hope Morse retires. He's a warrior but he's had a load of concussions and his CTE risk is high.

6. Post thanked by:

cookie G (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Gabe Davis?

Ugh.

Let him walk.
    The guy had flashes of absolute brilliance. I'll never forget his superstar performance in the 13 second game, he and Josh were game balls. But there weren't enough of them. Too many games where you'd swear he was using butter instead of rosin to coat his hands. Best of luck with your new team Gabe.

8. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,902 Times in 4,022 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheConsigliere View Post
    Fair enough but Morse’s time has come and he will retire to spend more time with his special needs brother.

Bates was never going to be a starting Offensive Lineman let alone Offensive Center on any contending NFL team.

And is the intention to use some of this salary cap savings on Gabe Davis?

The Bills should have drafted a C last year that could start his rookie year at G and then shift into Morse’s slot this year.

They didn’t.

Drafting a Center in the 1st or 2nd round is now inevitable.
    We got more out of Morse than maybe we should have. The concussions always worried me. Time for him to spend time with his kids.

Always liked him as a player, but didn't want to see him ruin the rest of his life doing it.

idk how this goes from here. IF McGovern can play C...and that's an if, I'd be fine with it and it opens things up for a replacement. Meaning, you can look for guards as well as centers in the draft pool. Not a big fan of Edwards moving into the guard spot...I would have felt better keeping Bates.

There are 3 good centers in the draft...3 very good ones.

Powers-Johnson from Oregon
    Frazier from West Va
    Van Pran GA

Any of those 3 would be considered the best C in most drafts.

No way Frazier or Parker-Johnson would be there in the 2nd where we draft.

Limmer from Arkansas, not a true center, he was put into the position this past season. He's athletic and can run block like a MOFO...but his pass pro can be inconsistent. During the Senior Bowl practices, he was put on his butt once by Sweat from Texas, but on the other reps he stonewalled him.

Again, if...and its an if, McGovern can play C, there might be some good G's available in the 2nd.

Christian Haynes of UConn
    Cooper Beebe of Kansas St. is a mauler and despite short arms, holds up well in pass pro. He's a mauler as a run blocker.

I keep saying the 2nd round...but there is certainly no guarantee they take an OL in the 2nd.

With the draft class, the 1st pick should be reserved for WR. Grab one of the studs for a big, deep theat if they are there.

But damned, they need to replenish the defensive side of the ball, even before yesterday. I think they've only got 2 Dt's on contract for this year. And they will probably have one starter quality S, Rapp.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    We got more out of Morse than maybe we should have. The concussions always worried me. Time for him to spend time with his kids.

Always liked him as a player, but didn't want to see him ruin the rest of his life doing it.

idk how this goes from here. IF McGovern can play C...and that's an if, I'd be fine with it and it opens things up for a replacement. Meaning, you can look for guards as well as centers in the draft pool. Not a big fan of Edwards moving into the guard spot...I would have felt better keeping Bates.

There are 3 good centers in the draft...3 very good ones.

Powers-Johnson from Oregon
    Frazier from West Va
    Van Pran GA

Any of those 3 would be considered the best C in most drafts.

No way Frazier or Parker-Johnson would be there in the 2nd where we draft.

Limmer from Arkansas, not a true center, he was put into the position this past season. He's athletic and can run block like a MOFO...but his pass pro can be inconsistent. During the Senior Bowl practices, he was put on his butt once by Sweat from Texas, but on the other reps he stonewalled him.

Again, if...and its an if, McGovern can play C, there might be some good G's available in the 2nd.

Christian Haynes of UConn
    Cooper Beebe of Kansas St. is a mauler and despite short arms, holds up well in pass pro. He's a mauler as a run blocker.

I keep saying the 2nd round...but there is certainly no guarantee they take an OL in the 2nd.

With the draft class, the 1st pick should be reserved for WR. Grab one of the studs for a big, deep theat if they are there.

But damned, they need to replenish the defensive side of the ball, even before yesterday. I think they've only got 2 Dt's on contract for this year. And they will probably have one starter quality S, Rapp.
    I think we will find a Safety in Free Agency.

If there is an elite 1DT there where we draft late in the 1st round that would help Ed Oliver take the next step in TFLs and up the middle QB pressures like he flashed in college, draft that 1DT.

It would sure help the DE next to him as well.

We need more from our whole DL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sal Cappaccio said this AM that Connor McGovern is definitely the planned starter. Said that we restructured him and thus are very committed--and we historically seem more interested in paying C than Guards. He's young, and a ridic athlete--like a 9.7 RAS. He even played snaps at FB for Dallas. Sal didn't use the word upgrade, but said that it may actually be a better fit for McGovern's strong pass blocking and movement skills, and limit the downside of his average run blocking. And David Edwards started at Guard for the Rams in their Super Bowl win.

Definitely a roll of the dice given Morse's consistent presence year in year out. But given the cap situation you can see their plan here.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

12. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (03-07-2024),Ed (03-09-2024),Historian (03-09-2024),notacon (03-09-2024),TheConsigliere (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,602 Times in 6,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    Sal Cappaccio said this AM that Connor McGovern is definitely the planned starter. Said that we restructured him and thus are very committed--and we historically seem more interested in paying C than Guards. He's young, and a ridic athlete--like a 9.7 RAS. He even played snaps at FB for Dallas. Sal didn't use the word upgrade, but said that it may actually be a better fit for McGovern's strong pass blocking and movement skills, and limit the downside of his average run blocking. And David Edwards started at Guard for the Rams in their Super Bowl win.

Definitely a roll of the dice given Morse's consistent presence year in year out. But given the cap situation you can see their plan here.
    I've heard this a few times now that McGovern's move to center could lean more into his strengths and eliminate his weaknesses as a guard. They may have had this planned out all along when they signed him last year. I'm sure they don't want to have a rookie center and it will be easier to find an upgrade/competition at guard.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post

A center is not going to be the difference between contending for a SB or not. McGovern performed very well last year, as the inside O-Line was much improved from 2022. Torrance is a beast who will only get better with experience. He was a steal in the 2nd round.

It remains to be seen if Edwards can fill that LG spot as capably as McGovern did last year. I strongly suspect that the Bills saw enough in him cut Morse lose.