• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: mitch morse released

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
    bye bye Harty he just doesn't figure in the plans.

who's next??
    Sherfield?

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
      The things I get you to say
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by sukie View Post
      Sherfield?
      Josh Allen, the drought is back
      Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• TheConsigliere
        • Aug 2022

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
        my mock I did last night couldn't have come at a better time.

31. Adonai Mitchell WR Texas
        70. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger OC Georgia
        94. Maason Smith DT LSU
        100 Dadrion Taylor-Demerson S Texas Tech
        108. Roger Rosengarten OT Washington
        129. Jalyx Hunt EDGE Houston Christian
        159. Mohamed Kamara EDGE Colorado State
        162. Javon Baker WR UCF
        198. Trey Taylor S Air Force
        206. Willie Drew CB Virginia State

Like others have said the biggest surprise wasn't getting rid of Morse's contract or trading Bates...it was doing both.
        The Family supported that mock draft.

Much respect.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

Hopefully he comes back with a cap friendly number.

I'm not terribly comfortable sending my quarterback's center packing.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
            • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Hopefully he comes back with a cap friendly number.

I'm not terribly comfortable sending my quarterback's center packing.
            Fair enough but Morse’s time has come and he will retire to spend more time with his special needs brother.

Bates was never going to be a starting Offensive Lineman let alone Offensive Center on any contending NFL team.

And is the intention to use some of this salary cap savings on Gabe Davis?

The Bills should have drafted a C last year that could start his rookie year at G and then shift into Morse’s slot this year.

They didn’t.

Drafting a Center in the 1st or 2nd round is now inevitable.

Comment

• Historian
              • Dec 2002

Gabe Davis?

Ugh.

Let him walk.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
                • Aug 2022

Gabe Davis?

Ugh.

Let him walk.
                I am positive he wants $15M/yr on a 5 year contract and the Bills are not offering more than $10M and a shorter contract because they are not sold on him ever being a #1 WR.

Comment

• Historian
                  • Dec 2002

I don't think they're sold on him being the #2 receiver.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

I kind of hope Morse retires. He's a warrior but he's had a load of concussions and his CTE risk is high.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Gabe Davis?

Ugh.

Let him walk.
                      The guy had flashes of absolute brilliance. I'll never forget his superstar performance in the 13 second game, he and Josh were game balls. But there weren't enough of them. Too many games where you'd swear he was using butter instead of rosin to coat his hands. Best of luck with your new team Gabe.

Comment

• cookie G
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TheConsigliere View Post
                        Fair enough but Morse’s time has come and he will retire to spend more time with his special needs brother.

Bates was never going to be a starting Offensive Lineman let alone Offensive Center on any contending NFL team.

And is the intention to use some of this salary cap savings on Gabe Davis?

The Bills should have drafted a C last year that could start his rookie year at G and then shift into Morse’s slot this year.

They didn’t.

Drafting a Center in the 1st or 2nd round is now inevitable.
                        We got more out of Morse than maybe we should have. The concussions always worried me. Time for him to spend time with his kids.

Always liked him as a player, but didn't want to see him ruin the rest of his life doing it.

idk how this goes from here. IF McGovern can play C...and that's an if, I'd be fine with it and it opens things up for a replacement. Meaning, you can look for guards as well as centers in the draft pool. Not a big fan of Edwards moving into the guard spot...I would have felt better keeping Bates.

There are 3 good centers in the draft...3 very good ones.

Powers-Johnson from Oregon
                        Frazier from West Va
                        Van Pran GA

Any of those 3 would be considered the best C in most drafts.

No way Frazier or Parker-Johnson would be there in the 2nd where we draft.

Limmer from Arkansas, not a true center, he was put into the position this past season. He's athletic and can run block like a MOFO...but his pass pro can be inconsistent. During the Senior Bowl practices, he was put on his butt once by Sweat from Texas, but on the other reps he stonewalled him.

Again, if...and its an if, McGovern can play C, there might be some good G's available in the 2nd.

Christian Haynes of UConn
                        Cooper Beebe of Kansas St. is a mauler and despite short arms, holds up well in pass pro. He's a mauler as a run blocker.

I keep saying the 2nd round...but there is certainly no guarantee they take an OL in the 2nd.

With the draft class, the 1st pick should be reserved for WR. Grab one of the studs for a big, deep theat if they are there.

But damned, they need to replenish the defensive side of the ball, even before yesterday. I think they've only got 2 Dt's on contract for this year. And they will probably have one starter quality S, Rapp.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
                          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                          We got more out of Morse than maybe we should have. The concussions always worried me. Time for him to spend time with his kids.

Always liked him as a player, but didn't want to see him ruin the rest of his life doing it.

idk how this goes from here. IF McGovern can play C...and that's an if, I'd be fine with it and it opens things up for a replacement. Meaning, you can look for guards as well as centers in the draft pool. Not a big fan of Edwards moving into the guard spot...I would have felt better keeping Bates.

There are 3 good centers in the draft...3 very good ones.

Powers-Johnson from Oregon
                          Frazier from West Va
                          Van Pran GA

Any of those 3 would be considered the best C in most drafts.

No way Frazier or Parker-Johnson would be there in the 2nd where we draft.

Limmer from Arkansas, not a true center, he was put into the position this past season. He's athletic and can run block like a MOFO...but his pass pro can be inconsistent. During the Senior Bowl practices, he was put on his butt once by Sweat from Texas, but on the other reps he stonewalled him.

Again, if...and its an if, McGovern can play C, there might be some good G's available in the 2nd.

Christian Haynes of UConn
                          Cooper Beebe of Kansas St. is a mauler and despite short arms, holds up well in pass pro. He's a mauler as a run blocker.

I keep saying the 2nd round...but there is certainly no guarantee they take an OL in the 2nd.

With the draft class, the 1st pick should be reserved for WR. Grab one of the studs for a big, deep theat if they are there.

But damned, they need to replenish the defensive side of the ball, even before yesterday. I think they've only got 2 Dt's on contract for this year. And they will probably have one starter quality S, Rapp.
                          I think we will find a Safety in Free Agency.

If there is an elite 1DT there where we draft late in the 1st round that would help Ed Oliver take the next step in TFLs and up the middle QB pressures like he flashed in college, draft that 1DT.

It would sure help the DE next to him as well.

We need more from our whole DL.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

Sal Cappaccio said this AM that Connor McGovern is definitely the planned starter. Said that we restructured him and thus are very committed--and we historically seem more interested in paying C than Guards. He's young, and a ridic athlete--like a 9.7 RAS. He even played snaps at FB for Dallas. Sal didn't use the word upgrade, but said that it may actually be a better fit for McGovern's strong pass blocking and movement skills, and limit the downside of his average run blocking. And David Edwards started at Guard for the Rams in their Super Bowl win.

Definitely a roll of the dice given Morse's consistent presence year in year out. But given the cap situation you can see their plan here.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Report- Mitch Morse headed to Jacksonville after completing visit with Steelers - NBC Sports

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Ed
                                Dude
                                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
                                Sal Cappaccio said this AM that Connor McGovern is definitely the planned starter. Said that we restructured him and thus are very committed--and we historically seem more interested in paying C than Guards. He's young, and a ridic athlete--like a 9.7 RAS. He even played snaps at FB for Dallas. Sal didn't use the word upgrade, but said that it may actually be a better fit for McGovern's strong pass blocking and movement skills, and limit the downside of his average run blocking. And David Edwards started at Guard for the Rams in their Super Bowl win.

Definitely a roll of the dice given Morse's consistent presence year in year out. But given the cap situation you can see their plan here.
                                I've heard this a few times now that McGovern's move to center could lean more into his strengths and eliminate his weaknesses as a guard. They may have had this planned out all along when they signed him last year. I'm sure they don't want to have a rookie center and it will be easier to find an upgrade/competition at guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X