So where do we stand after today's bloodletting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: So where do we stand after today's bloodletting?

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    I get everything but Morse
    I guess you'll see more Cook + a new RB running the ball next year. Morse is older, and probably the worst straight up man run blocker of our O-Line. Morse is mobile and very intelligent. But he does not anchor well against power guys.

Edwards is a Kromer guy from Rams days. He played enough I guess they want to make him into the starting lineup permanently. McGovern is a thicker guy, not as mobile as Morse but certainly anchors better. Let's see if he can make line calls as good as Morse.

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
      The things I get you to say
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      Neal, Hines and Hardy? Meh, they're backups/ST'ers who can be replaced by guys on vet min.

White? On paper, this is a huge loss but he hasn't been healthy in 3 seasons and the Bills won 6 straight games- including a playoff game- without him. He really hasn't been a big part of the Bills' success since the Thanksgiving injury. Don't get me wrong- he was a great player for a long time and a big reason why the Bills are winners again. He's just not that guy anymore.

Poyer and Morse? This is where I start to get concerned. I agree with the general sentiment that he has lost a step, but we don't have anyone equal or better on the roster at the moment. Same goes for Morse, who I think is the biggest loss of the day. It's going to be hard to find a new starting C with our cap situation.

As of right now, this team is slightly worse than they were two months ago when they got eliminated.
      Of all these players, the only big loss is Morse. Poyer noticeably lost a step last season. White? I actually am more sad that he got injured v Miami after he had almost completely returned to form and that piece of human sewage and Lee Camp as ordered from Wish.Com Nick Wrong, mocked us signing him. So help me, I'd love to give Nick corrective nose surgery without the benefit of anesthesia.

The others? Who?

The one loss though is Mitch Morse.
      Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• jamze132
        • Jun 2003

It’d be nice to bring Morse back. Still think we’re $20-25m over the cap.

Comment

• Ingtar33
          Dances With Buffaloes
          • Sep 2002

Morse was a guarenteed cap cut; i think he had the biggest cap number we could save on the roster if we cut him...

It sucks though, the dude grew on me and became a near top 5 center in his time here. sucks seeing him go.

It hurts seeing Tre White go, dude was a class act all the way through but he's been an 8 digit cap liability for the last 3 years... unable to get onto the field. I hate seeing him go, when he was healthy early in the year this defense looked unbeatable. But who knows if he'll ever be healthy again.

It hurts even more to see Poyer go, dude was legit, a real warrior.

We can get replacements for all 3 for cheaper but it will be really hard to fill their shoes.
          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Jeff1220
            H to the 12:20
            • Jul 2002

Morse is a huge loss from a locker room/leadership perspective. He's also coming off what was probably his best season as a Bill, and one in which he stayed healthy. He's got a few more years in him, and someone will pay him.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

I'll be honest, I thought the first move would be to restructure Josh Allen, then pick your targets from there.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                I'll be honest, I thought the first move would be to restructure Josh Allen, then pick your targets from there.
                I think they are probably doing everything else first, so they can gauge how much of a restructure they need to do with Josh.

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

As I said in another thread...."The only surprise is Mitch Morse. He will be missed but probably best to get this over with now, to make moving younger and setting up for success both TODAY and going forward.

The "Purge" will not effect competitiveness in any substantial manner.

With (soon to be after compensatory 3rd round pick is awarded) eleven draft picks and money to spend on mid level free agents......Beane keeps on showing why he is such a smart GM."

Morse is a loss. But last year's draft steal of Torrance in the 2nd round and McGovern showing he has a lot left and both tackles solid starters (especially Spencer Brown improving substantially after many here were ready to bury him) mitigates the loss.

Developing young talent is the way forward.

It's going to take months for Beane's (and McD's....Beane does not make these moves in a vacuum) plan to unfold. FA first and then the draft.

As usual, I'm bullish on the Bills competitiveness. With Josh Allen every season is a possible Super Bowl year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                    As I said in another thread...."The only surprise is Mitch Morse. He will be missed but probably best to get this over with now, to make moving younger and setting up for success both TODAY and going forward.

The "Purge" will not effect competitiveness in any substantial manner.

With (soon to be after compensatory 3rd round pick is awarded) eleven draft picks and money to spend on mid level free agents......Beane keeps on showing why he is such a smart GM."

Morse is a loss. But last year's draft steal of Torrance in the 2nd round and McGovern showing he has a lot left and both tackles solid starters (especially Spencer Brown improving substantially after many here were ready to bury him) mitigates the loss.

Developing young talent is the way forward.

It's going to take months for Beane's (and McD's....Beane does not make these moves in a vacuum) plan to unfold. FA first and then the draft.

As usual, I'm bullish on the Bills competitiveness. With Josh Allen every season is a possible Super Bowl year.
                    I mean, Josh has been the QB for 6 years and has won 0 SB's. It takes more than just him.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• notacon
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                      Bills got younger today. It’s like if the Zone dumped Woody, Notty , Mace, and Lecter. The freaking kids would rule this place.

i of course would be restructured and although Lecter isn’t old… but he can stick it.

Except you are not one of the "freaking kids" and as you realized on your last birthday, you were "officially in the "old farts" club of us 60 year olds on the downside of life"

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

I mean, Josh has been the QB for 6 years and has won 0 SB's. It takes more than just him.
                        He's the key .... nobody would be dumb enough to refute that.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
                        163 **189 **200 **204 **248

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

John Elway had been the QB for 14 years and had won 0 SB's.

Peyton Manning had been the QB for 8 years and had won 0 SB's.

Drew Brees had been the QB for 8 years and had won 0 SB's.

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Rumor has it McGovern is switched to center... hasn't played it since college...Edwards goes to lg.

Morse is the only center besides Bates, Allen has ever worked with...finally got a decent year from the ol in front of the franchise gem and they're going to pork around with it?

Center is the qb of the ol.... it's not plug and play and gravy.

Whatever.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                              John Elway had been the QB for 14 years and had won 0 SB's.

Peyton Manning had been the QB for 8 years and had won 0 SB's.

Drew Brees had been the QB for 8 years and had won 0 SB's.
                              Because they needed the right talent around them.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                                Rumor has it McGovern is switched to center... hasn't played it since college...Edwards goes to lg.

Morse is the only center besides Bates, Allen has ever worked with...finally got a decent year from the ol in front of the franchise gem and they're going to pork around with it?

Center is the qb of the ol.... it's not plug and play and gravy.

Whatever.
                                I highly doubt the plan is for McGovern to just step in and play Center, and putting a relatively unknown at LG.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍