Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So where do we stand after today's bloodletting?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,312 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So where do we stand after today's bloodletting?

Neal, Hines and Hardy? Meh, they're backups/ST'ers who can be replaced by guys on vet min.

White? On paper, this is a huge loss but he hasn't been healthy in 3 seasons and the Bills won 6 straight games- including a playoff game- without him. He really hasn't been a big part of the Bills' success since the Thanksgiving injury. Don't get me wrong- he was a great player for a long time and a big reason why the Bills are winners again. He's just not that guy anymore.

Poyer and Morse? This is where I start to get concerned. I agree with the general sentiment that he has lost a step, but we don't have anyone equal or better on the roster at the moment. Same goes for Morse, who I think is the biggest loss of the day. It's going to be hard to find a new starting C with our cap situation.

As of right now, this team is slightly worse than they were two months ago when they got eliminated.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,922 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So where do we stand after today's bloodletting?

Bills got younger and hopefully less injuried.

None of them are losses and some could comeback cheaper. Not worried because the most important piece is still there.

3. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-07-2024),notacon (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Definitely need a center and at least one starting-caliber safety.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-07-2024),Jeff1220 (03-07-2024),OpIv37 (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,424 Times in 7,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Morse is the big loss today. I don't think we're any worse off if they can replace him.

7. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-07-2024),OpIv37 (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McGovern to center Edwards to LG.

9. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-06-2024),Novacane (03-06-2024),OpIv37 (03-06-2024)

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,817 Times in 3,352 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McGovern was a moderate, so right at home at center

11. Post thanked by:

sukie (03-08-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Neal, Hines and Hardy? Meh, they're backups/ST'ers who can be replaced by guys on vet min.

White? On paper, this is a huge loss but he hasn't been healthy in 3 seasons and the Bills won 6 straight games- including a playoff game- without him. He really hasn't been a big part of the Bills' success since the Thanksgiving injury. Don't get me wrong- he was a great player for a long time and a big reason why the Bills are winners again. He's just not that guy anymore.

Poyer and Morse? This is where I start to get concerned. I agree with the general sentiment that he has lost a step, but we don't have anyone equal or better on the roster at the moment. Same goes for Morse, who I think is the biggest loss of the day. It's going to be hard to find a new starting C with our cap situation.

As of right now, this team is slightly worse than they were two months ago when they got eliminated.
    Hyde, Poyer and White are 3 of my favourites of the JA era. I totally understand the reasons. Beane can’t afford to “hope” they have anything left. Hurts to see them all go though.

Morse is the one that really hurts on the field. He’s been such a leader. There’s only 2 guys I like in the draft too. Powers-Johnson will be gone before our round one pick. Might be able to get Van Pran-Granger in 2. 3 feels like a stretch.

not a fan of Frazier. I prefer Drake Nugent in later rounds over an early puck on Frazier.

13. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Definitely need a center and at least one starting-caliber safety.
    Do you mean draft?

because we definitely need 3 safeties at this point. Including both starters.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

McGovern moving over to C and that's fine. Perfectly capable. Edwards to guard is fine. That position will be addresed. Meh on the rest. time to cut bait on the vets that you have won without and are long in the tooth.

Don't think the team is worse off at all. Getting younger and cheaper. Bunch pf picks in the draft/higher cap number / They just fine.
    Bean creating space for moves. Last I checked the QB is still there. All that matters.

16. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It means they may actually use all 11 draft picks this year. No more after the first 3 picks, we can play around or trade away as they don't make the team.

The Chiefs 2022 draft had 12 picks. They used 3 to get McDuffie and wound up with 10 players. Out of the 10, 8 payers each averaged 534 snaps in his rookie season. Mind you those are meaningful snaps because the Chiefs won superbowl that year.

Beane need some similar result - I don't expect quite as good because the Chiefs traded Hill to get some high draft picks.

Judging by the moves today, I don't expect Beane to sign some aging, more established guys in FA. It's a youth and cheaper movement.

18. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-07-2024),notacon (03-07-2024)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Morse will be back making less. Qb/center needs chemistry for line calls doesn't it?

Thing that stands out to me is that they just jumped into the cap hell they created themselves with their stupid one more fa to get there philosophy instead of establishing a draft pipeline when they could. This is not a new program they've been building this team for 7 years with 6 of a franchise qb and can't get near an sb because other teams keep doing it better.

They have to do this stuff now but should have seen it coming for years. Imho.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,193 Times in 5,920 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    It means they may actually use all 11 draft picks this year. No more after the first 3 picks, we can play around or trade away as they don't make the team.

The Chiefs 2022 draft had 12 picks. They used 3 to get McDuffie and wound up with 10 players. Out of the 10, 8 payers each averaged 534 snaps in his rookie season. Mind you those are meaningful snaps because the Chiefs won superbowl that year.

Beane need some similar result - I don't expect quite as good because the Chiefs traded Hill to get some high draft picks.

Judging by the moves today, I don't expect Beane to sign some aging, more established guys in FA. It's a youth and cheaper movement.
    Bills got younger today. It’s like if the Zone dumped Woody, Notty , Mace, and Lecter. The freaking kids would rule this place.

i of course would be restructured and although Lecter isn’t old… but he can stick it.

21. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (03-06-2024),notacon (03-07-2024),TacklingDummy (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Bills got younger today. It’s like if the Zone dumped Woody, Notty , Mace, and Lecter. The freaking kids would rule this place.

i of course would be restructured and although Lecter isn’t old… but he can stick it.
    Haha.

On a serious note, it is an admission that an era of pushing to break that superbowl wall ended. Realistically a repeat of Chiefs 2022 draft success leading to a break thru is unlikely. But I do want to point out any team with Allen, and a few CORE piece on offense can surprise people. If Von is back to force - he'betting on himself, and we get lucky in draft to get a star, particular on defense, we may shock people by playoff time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 986 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Haha.

On a serious note, it is an admission that an era of pushing to break that superbowl wall ended. Realistically a repeat of Chiefs 2022 draft success leading to a break thru is unlikely. But I do want to point out any team with Allen, and a few CORE piece on offense can surprise people. If Von is back to force - he'betting on himself, and we get lucky in draft to get a star, particular on defense, we may shock people by playoff time.
    Gonna need to hit on 2-3 draftees and grab 1-2 good contributors in FA but we’re most certainly going to be a top team once again.

It doesn’t hurt that the NFL was a big ole bowl of meh last season and is gonna be the same next season.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I get everything but Morse

I just don’t see ‘better’ there or even equal unless we nail the draft
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

25. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (03-06-2024),Jeff1220 (03-07-2024),OpIv37 (03-06-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    I get everything but Morse
    I guess you'll see more Cook + a new RB running the ball next year. Morse is older, and probably the worst straight up man run blocker of our O-Line. Morse is mobile and very intelligent. But he does not anchor well against power guys.

Edwards is a Kromer guy from Rams days. He played enough I guess they want to make him into the starting lineup permanently. McGovern is a thicker guy, not as mobile as Morse but certainly anchors better. Let's see if he can make line calls as good as Morse.

The things I get you to say Gibby 2.0's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,065 Times in 2,621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Of all these players, the only big loss is Morse. Poyer noticeably lost a step last season. White? I actually am more sad that he got injured v Miami after he had almost completely returned to form and that piece of human sewage and Lee Camp as ordered from Wish.Com Nick Wrong, mocked us signing him. So help me, I'd love to give Nick corrective nose surgery without the benefit of anesthesia.

The others? Who?

The one loss though is Mitch Morse.
    Insert whimsical line here

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It’d be nice to bring Morse back. Still think we’re $20-25m over the cap.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,353 Times in 2,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Morse was a guarenteed cap cut; i think he had the biggest cap number we could save on the roster if we cut him...

It sucks though, the dude grew on me and became a near top 5 center in his time here. sucks seeing him go.

It hurts seeing Tre White go, dude was a class act all the way through but he's been an 8 digit cap liability for the last 3 years... unable to get onto the field. I hate seeing him go, when he was healthy early in the year this defense looked unbeatable. But who knows if he'll ever be healthy again.

It hurts even more to see Poyer go, dude was legit, a real warrior.

We can get replacements for all 3 for cheaper but it will be really hard to fill their shoes.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

30. Post thanked by:

Gibby 2.0 (03-07-2024),Jeff1220 (03-07-2024),Thurmal (03-07-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Morse is a huge loss from a locker room/leadership perspective. He's also coming off what was probably his best season as a Bill, and one in which he stayed healthy. He's got a few more years in him, and someone will pay him.