Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Some frostbitten fans might need amputations

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Report: Some frostbitten fans might need amputations

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Really? Every fan is weather wise? If a company sells tickets to their events, they need to take reasonable and basic precautions for your safety. Expecting paying customers to know how to take care of themselves in extreme conditions at your event is not a reasonable expectation.
    Going outside without proper frostbite protection and thinking you won't get frostbite is not a reasonable expectation either. The contract includes a game outside and the weather is always a god event. This is a tough case.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,367 Times in 3,844 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Going outside without proper frostbite protection and thinking you won't get frostbite is not a reasonable expectation either. The contract includes a game outside and the weather is always a god event. This is a tough case.
    An act of God revent efers to an unanticipated natural event such as a lightning strike or tornado etc.

these conditions were anticipated for all week. And the NFL decided to play through it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

An act of God revent efers to an unanticipated natural event such as a lightning strike or tornado etc.

these conditions were anticipated for all week. And the NFL decided to play through it.
    Even the threat of those events cause game delays

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

God related events are things that can't be predicted and/or manipulated. The manipulation piece is important. It is like a bucket you can put things in that can't be controlled.

And they will argue things like wind directions and temperatures were highly correlated godly events there was no ability to predict and while a large portion of the population suffered no affliction when the mixture of these godly events was correct people got frostbite.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    God related events are things that can't be predicted and/or manipulated. The manipulation piece is important. It is like a bucket you can put things in that can't be controlled.

And they will argue things like wind directions and temperatures were highly correlated godly events there was no ability to predict and while a large portion of the population suffered no affliction when the mixture of these godly events was correct people got frostbite.
    Well I'm sure their pack of lawyers will argue semantics, probably successfully but weather forecasters certainly predicted dangerous and extreme game time conditions for days prior.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,902 Times in 4,022 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The temps were predicted...days in advance.

The Chiefs had gloves available for children. It was announced a day before the game. My first thought was...who in the world would take a kid out in weather like that without gloves?

As far as that night goes...it was brutally cold. I live about 80 miles from Arrowhead so I had the same weather. About an hour before gametime, I had to run and pick someone up, my car wouldn't start so my neighbor took me.

On the way home, I had him stop at the gas station so he could top off his tank. I had my gloves off to run my card through..about a minute or two.

My fingers were already hurting...not cold, but actually hurting.

When I got back in, I looked at my neighbor and said, "I wouldn't be going to the game tonight, even if the Bills were there"

I not surprised that out of 80k people there, that a few dozen ended up with frostbite. Im kinda surprise it wasn't more.

7. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-08-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,314 Times in 15,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well I'm sure their pack of lawyers will argue semantics, probably successfully but weather forecasters certainly predicted dangerous and extreme game time conditions for days prior.
    They may have a case.

The star player's helmet cracked on impact in the cold, remember?

I've been to a lot of cold games, like that Raider playoff, but I've never seen that before.

"Did you freeze your ass off at the fish playoff? You may be entitled to compensation...."

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Victim blaiming, idk?

The n f l sold fans tickets. what were the fans supposed to do, stay at home?
    Victim blaming? lol

Shaddap
    Last edited by Forward_Lateral; 03-08-2024 at 06:32 AM.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nobody held a gun to these fans' heads and told them they have to go sit in arctic conditions. If children are involved, those parents should be charged with negligence.

I find it funny that not a single player or coach got frostbite, and they were out there in the same conditions, for the same amount of time, wearing far less clothing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Nobody held a gun to these fans' heads and told them they have to go sit in arctic conditions. If children are involved, those parents should be charged with negligence.

I find it funny that not a single player or coach got frostbite, and they were out there in the same conditions, for the same amount of time, wearing far less clothing.
    I agree. This is a child protective issue not a sue the NFL issue.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Victim blaming? lol

Shaddap
    You're just a keyboard warrior.

Pity you weren't at the game...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    "Did you freeze your ass off at the fish playoff? You may be entitled to compensation...."
    If the league was negligent, I'm not sure why anyone would be apposed to this

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,814 Times in 3,350 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Aren’t some frozen fingers children?

15. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (03-08-2024)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,708 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There were warnings posted at all the entrances. There were a dozen or more warming stations set up both outside and inside the stadium.

Is there precedent?

Has there been cases of frostbite at NFL games before this? Was the NFL or a home team successfully sued for negligence?

So "if" is a better place to start.

If you had, say, even 5% of the fans end up with frostbite, or about 3000 people, then you might have a case.

This was 0.0003%
    Of course, these are severe cases that may require amputations (I'm guessing toes and finger tips for the most part...ears are another). How many mild cases were there with some blistering on exposed skin?

As a progressive liberal, "You can't do x because someone might get hurt" is one of my least favorite aspects of liberal ideology.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ok but to get frostbite the people have to have worn like moccasins to a game they knew was going to be sub zero. You can't fix stupid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    There were warnings posted at all the entrances. There were a dozen or more warming stations set up both outside and inside the stadium.

Is there precedent?

Has there been cases of frostbite at NFL games before this? Was the NFL or a home team successfully sued for negligence?

So "if" is a better place to start.

If you had, say, even 5% of the fans end up with frostbite, or about 3000 people, then you might have a case.

This was 0.0003%
    Of course, these are severe cases that may require amputations (I'm guessing toes and finger tips for the most part...ears are another). How many mild cases were there with some blistering on exposed skin?

As a progressive liberal, "You can't do x because someone might get hurt" is one of my least favorite aspects of liberal ideology.
    Warning signs don't make it warmer.

Players were provided heated benches. Patrons were not.

Did the warming station locations provide adequate views of the game?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Ok but to get frostbite the people have to have worn like moccasins to a game they knew was going to be sub zero. You can't fix stupid.
    And if the victims weren't in flip flops, and actually wore socks and boots?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The teams were provided heated benches, the patrons were not, but you're so smart. Plus they are in a heated locker room for the maximum amount of time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And if the victims weren't in flip flops, and actually wore socks and boots?
    Maybe you have a beef then but we both know that likely isn't what happened here. This smells very strongly as dumbass.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Russia Go BOOM! View Post
    Aren’t some frozen fingers children?
    At least one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Victim blaiming, idk?

The n f l sold fans tickets. what were the fans supposed to do, stay at home?
    Ummm, yeah. Or resell them. Or dress for it. I spent like $150 on new gear for the Wild Card game against the Steelers. Knew it was gonna be cold, and prepared accordingly.

Everyone went into that stadium knowing it was on them to stay warm. They signed up to stand in -20.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?