Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead money disturbs me...

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dead money disturbs me...

Atm.....I figure chiefs, Bengals, ravens are biggest obstacles. Rounding up, chiefs carry 6 mil, Bengals carry 2, ravens 9, bills 24 with a depleted roster. Starting to reconsider Beane and the process over 7 years.

Cap is a mirage..,no, it clearly isn't, and yearly contenders around us are not pushing money down the road with hopeful fa quite like we are.

All in didn't work, yearly for too many years and now we're paying for it like our obstacles are not. That's process.

2. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-09-2024),YardRat (03-09-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,584 Times in 17,462 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Dead money disturbs me...

If Beane can't build a roster good enough to get to more than one conference championship game, it isn't good enough.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-09-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This is all due to just a couple of reaches by Beane. He knew it was coming. We all did. It's been written and talked about for the past 3 seasons. So there's no sense in complaining about it now that it is here. Maybe he'll think twice before he throws big money at another 30+ year old defensive lineman again. The season is so long now (too long). A GM has to pay his stars, but also has to have workable back-ups when the stars get hurt. Beane has done a fair job (look at LB situation last season, for example) with that. You can't have 4 DBs paid what White, Douglas, Hyde and Poyer were. They are old and highly paid. It's time to re-tool there anyway. I'm sure a lot of these "fears" and criticisms will calm down after free agency signings and the draft. Now it's the season for fan hand-wringing. Just usually doesn't come from Mace.

Think back to when Beane got Poyer from the Browns and you thought "who???" Let's see if he can do that again at 2 or 3 positions. That is what makes a good team, one that can play 17 games and go deep into the play-offs w/o a ton of injuries. THAT is what makes a successful GM.

6. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (03-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Beane didn't get Poyer, Whaley did. But I would guarantee that McDermott played a big role - likely the final say - on getting Poyer here.

Whaley is back to Pittsburgh and haa a weeklyWednesday morning show here with the FAN station. I cringe every time I hear the introduction "former Buffalo Bills GM ..." of Whaley on that show. And he has taken credit on getting Poyer, Hyde, and that 2017 draft on that show. I specifically remember him saying the coaches wanted Hyde and we (I) went out got him. I do give him credit for that years FA signings and scouting for the 2017 draft. I might add the guy is a pretty good scout. But he's not a good GM to put all the information together and make a good judgement on a player. And of course he's far away from shaping a team's direction etc.

8. Post thanked by:

DetoxTent (03-10-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,584 Times in 17,462 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    This is all due to just a couple of reaches by Beane. He knew it was coming. We all did. It's been written and talked about for the past 3 seasons. So there's no sense in complaining about it now that it is here. Maybe he'll think twice before he throws big money at another 30+ year old defensive lineman again. The season is so long now (too long). A GM has to pay his stars, but also has to have workable back-ups when the stars get hurt. Beane has done a fair job (look at LB situation last season, for example) with that. You can't have 4 DBs paid what White, Douglas, Hyde and Poyer were. They are old and highly paid. It's time to re-tool there anyway. I'm sure a lot of these "fears" and criticisms will calm down after free agency signings and the draft. Now it's the season for fan hand-wringing. Just usually doesn't come from Mace.

Think back to when Beane got Poyer from the Browns and you thought "who???" Let's see if he can do that again at 2 or 3 positions. That is what makes a good team, one that can play 17 games and go deep into the play-offs w/o a ton of injuries. THAT is what makes a successful GM.

Yeah, we haven't seen that yet.

And IMO knowing what's coming down the road gives somebody even more right to ***** about it when it does happen, instead of having it fixed before the **** hits the fan.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Historically looking back one day, the Miller signing will be Beanes biggest flop. That’s where most of this dead money comes from keeping us from retaining players. Caving into Diggs cry baby requests every spring hasn’t helped either. And don’t forget Josh is one of the lowest paid QBs vs his talent level.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,195 Times in 5,921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    Historically looking back one day, the Miller signing will be Beanes biggest flop. That’s where most of this dead money comes from keeping us from retaining players. Caving into Diggs cry baby requests every spring hasn’t helped either. And don’t forget Josh is one of the lowest paid QBs vs his talent level.
    as I see it Von is 5th as far as dead money and inly 3 million above Knox at 6.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    as I see it Von is 5th as far as dead money and inly 3 million above Knox at 6.
    They just keep kicking that can down the road. The reality is that 100+ million is in the equation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    They just keep kicking that can down the road. The reality is that 100+ million is in the equation.
    No argument but it’s not all on the Von decision. Restructured TE with crappy hands but an awesome headband is far more damaging especially when you then turn around and draft a TE stud.

14. Post thanked by:

Turf (03-10-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cool story

Thanks
    Thanked 11,717 Times in 7,771 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh boy...the lame whining never ends.

Beane has done a fantastic job in building and maintaining contending team that has the second most consecutive playoff appearances in the NFL.

EVERY TEAM runs into cap issues (and dead money) eventually. EVERY. SINGLE. TEAM.

The biggest difference between KC and the Bills (besides THE most critical one of Mahomes) is that last year KC had one of the fewest missed games by starters due to injury, while the Bills were devastated by losses to key players.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So no difference in financials? Myopic take.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,860 Times in 3,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’m not concerned with what Beane is doing. As long as he keeps drafting difference makers, he’s good in my book. Need to nail this draft though!

19. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-12-2024),notacon (03-11-2024)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post

It's not so much hand wringing as a raised eyebrow and a frown.

I'm all about draft pipeline when you look long term, not yearly fa band aids other people drafted. Injuries....as Buffalo Jill Nottie will point out.....are going to happen to fa vets with more wear, and they're pricier than draft. They had years to groom replacements at safety, ol, 0 tech dt, wr, and the franchise jewel Allen is going in there yet again with a different ol after we found one that worked after how many years.

To me, that cuts to the heart of planning and preparation. I see that dead money differential as a big issue to program and process when we aren't getting to conference championships or sb's, and our rivals seem to not be stressing in maintaining their success with franchise qb's they're supporting better for their yearly runs.

Remains to be seen if we come up with cheap fa saviors again, poyer and Hyde were a while back. I can throw a lot of fa inadequacy for stopgap starters out there.

We have no money for splash...like "this time it works!".....and we're running out of time before Allen gets damaged.

Planning and process has not gotten us to an sb with Allen. It has not worked unless you're happy with reg season wins and division titles. Fact.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I’m thrilled with regular season wins and division titles. Without them SB appearances are much further away. Key ingredients for a successful playoff run are regular season wins and division titles.

Von was a shot… I get it. Overpaying in other areas… not wise. There has got to be churn when you have a Josh , a Diggs and a Von… you can only afford so many stars. After that the system becomes important. If the system is sound you don’t need stars.. just good players and good drafts to retool.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why is the money dead? I mean who kiiled it? And if it is dead, why worry?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    It’s starting to smell rancid.

24. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (03-12-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's the money in your wallet. Still counts under your name, but you can't spend it. You flaunt the wallet to a pretty girl, but when you take her to an ice cream stand, you can pull nothing out of the wallet.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,617 Times in 6,168 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

download.jpg
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

Thanks