Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DaQuan Jones back?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,602 Times in 6,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: DaQuan Jones back?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    A huge signing, literally. A very good DT on a team that is suddenly, or not so suddenly seriously short on DTs.
    Agreed we are making some progress in that direction.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,707 Times in 7,764 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well....after my major brain fart, senior moment yesterday with me mistakenly misreading that Floyd was re-signing with the Bills (wow that was bad) I have made sure this one I got right.

Yes, DaQuan Jones HAS re-signed with the Bills.

What I wrote (mistakenly) about Floyd DOES apply with Jones...

EXCELLENT!!!!!

Jones is much better spent dollars than Mitch Morse.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,708 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We still need to draft one. We can't wait until we absolutely need one because they most often need at least a year of development. Jones is good but we probably shouldn't be asking a 32 yo to play more than 50% of the snaps and an early round rookie playing behind him would be perfect. No more re-treads like Settle and Vernon Butler, please.

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-12-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm actually on the fence for DQ, not because he's not good, but his age and health. Would like to see his contract to see if incentives are baked in.

Age is a theme and I think Beane at OBD recognizes that. All the major injuries last couple of years, White, Milano, Von, Hyde, Poyer (really fought thru but less effective) happened to senior (as in age) member of the team. Jones was pretty healthy in his career, but with the Bills, at his career twilight, we see him missing critical playoff game (the Bengals game) last year and missing 10 games this year and largely not himself after returning. If there is a line to gamble on Jones playing all 34 games of the extension plus playoff games, I'd bet the opposite.

They need to go younger at DT position. Quality DTs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    We still need to draft one. We can't wait until we absolutely need one because they most often need at least a year of development. Jones is good but we probably shouldn't be asking a 32 yo to play more than 50% of the snaps and an early round rookie playing behind him would be perfect. No more re-treads like Settle and Vernon Butler, please.
    I agree.

My draft priority list is not effected by either the Jones or Epenesa signings.

1. WR
    2. DT
    3. S
    4. EDGE
    5. C/G
    6. CB
    7. T
    8. RB

Of course, as with every draft, much depends on who is available....or how much the Bills covet a player that is within reach with a trade up, or a player that they want can still be had by trading back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 984 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I'm actually on the fence for DQ, not because he's not good, but his age and health. Would like to see his contract to see if incentives are baked in.

Age is a theme and I think Beane at OBD recognizes that. All the major injuries last couple of years, White, Milano, Von, Hyde, Poyer (really fought thru but less effective) happened to senior (as in age) member of the team. Jones was pretty healthy in his career, but with the Bills, at his career twilight, we see him missing critical playoff game (the Bengals game) last year and missing 10 games this year and largely not himself after returning. If there is a line to gamble on Jones playing all 34 games of the extension plus playoff games, I'd bet the opposite.

I am all about the youth movement, we have to get younger and cheaper overall and mostly through the draft. I do however like the Daquan resigning as he proved his worth when healthy and his position along with QB/K/Punter can withstand aging much better than the other positions.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I agree.

My draft priority list is not effected by either the Jones or Epenesa signings.

1. WR
    2. DT
    3. S
    4. EDGE
    5. C/G
    6. CB
    7. T
    8. RB

Of course, as with every draft, much depends on who is available....or how much the Bills covet a player that is within reach with a trade up, or a player that they want can still be had by trading back.
    I'd say

WR
    Safety
    DT

With the rest being all equally important

9. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-13-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I'd say

WR
    Safety
    DT

With the rest being all equally important

I have no problem with that either.

It's all about who is available or what it will cost to move to get who they want.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,708 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm concerned about our plan at C. And if it's McGovern, what's the plan at L guard.

We've been leaky up the middle on key throwing downs.

As good as Josh is at out of pocket improv, I'd like to see more clean looks for him to really operate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
    I'm concerned about our plan at C. And if it's McGovern, what's the plan at L guard.
    David Edwards signed a 2-year $6 million extension with the Buffalo Bills. Edwards is entering his sixth NFL season, the first four coming with the Los Angeles Rams where he was a member of their 2021 Super Bowl-winning team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

Agreed. 300+ pound dudes tend to hit a wall quick and 32 is definitely pushing it. Bills definitely have a big draft need for a guy who can fill in as a starter sooner rather than later.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Agreed. 300+ pound dudes tend to hit a wall quick and 32 is definitely pushing it. Bills definitely have a big draft need for a guy who can fill in as a starter sooner rather than later.
    We need to have an awesome draft .....