Thread: Bills propose allowing a practice squad QB to serve as the emergency third QB

Thanks
    Thanked 7,609 Times in 6,163 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills propose allowing a practice squad QB to serve as the emergency third QB

Teams have proposed five bylaw changes. Whether they change anything remains to be seen with owners scheduled to meet later this month at the annual spring meetings in Orlando.
    The Bills propose expanding the standard elevation rules to allow clubs to elevate a third player from the practice squad who is a “bona fide quarterback” to be an emergency third quarterback.
    In 2023, teams were allowed to designate an emergency third quarterback on game day after the 49ers were left without a healthy quarterback during the 2022 NFC Championship Game. The emergency third quarterback counted as one of the game-day inactives and could play only if the top two quarterbacks were injured.
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

Thanks
    Thanked 26,313 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills propose allowing a practice squad QB to serve as the emergency third QB

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Teams have proposed five bylaw changes. Whether they change anything remains to be seen with owners scheduled to meet later this month at the annual spring meetings in Orlando.
    The Bills propose expanding the standard elevation rules to allow clubs to elevate a third player from the practice squad who is a “bona fide quarterback” to be an emergency third quarterback.
    In 2023, teams were allowed to designate an emergency third quarterback on game day after the 49ers were left without a healthy quarterback during the 2022 NFC Championship Game. The emergency third quarterback counted as one of the game-day inactives and could play only if the top two quarterbacks were injured.
    For some reason I thought this was already a rule. It’s been like 30 years since anyone dressed 3 QB’s on game day.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,316 Times in 15,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills propose allowing a practice squad QB to serve as the emergency third QB

Gale Gilbert is rolling over in his grave...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Designated Survivor makes its way from Washington to the NFL. Who knew?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    So is Gilbert Gottfried.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Or in his bed after he arose this morning. He's not dead, unless you know something the rest of us don't, & if you do, you're #1 on the suspect list.

PS : I can't believe I had to edit my post because when I originally wrote w-o-k-e up it changed the word to non-bigoted.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Or in his bed after he arose this morning. He's not dead, unless you know something the rest of us don't, & if you do, you're #1 on the suspect list.

PS : I can't believe I had to edit my post because when I originally wrote w-o-k-e up it changed the word to non-bigoted.
    How about Gottfried?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Will more teams carry three (or more) quarterbacks on the active roster this year? - NBC Sports

Despite the presence of rules aimed at keeping quarterbacks healthy, the 2023 season featured an unprecedented number of quarterback injuries. Will that cause teams to be more prepared for that possibility in 2024?
    The specific question becomes whether teams will have at least three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster this season. Many opt for two, with a third on the practice squad. After the league’s collective 2023 experience, it might be prudent to keep a third quarterback on the team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Competition Committee, Bills propose slightly different tweaks to emergency quarterback rule - NBC Sports

After the 49ers ran out of healthy quarterbacks in the 2022 NFC Championship, the NFL resurrected the emergency quarterback rule. The requirement that the game-day third quarterback must come from the active roster, however, kept teams from fully embracing it.

This year, both the Bills and the Competition Committee have proposed a modification to the emergency quarterback rule that, if passed, will not require him to be on the 53-man roster.

The Bills have proposed allowing teams to elevate a quarterback from the practice squad. Buffalo’s proposal would operate independently of the two standard practice-squad elevations. There would be no limit to the number of times a practice-squad player is elevated to serve as the emergency quarterback.

The Competition Committee’s proposal also allows the emergency quarterback to come from the practice squad. However, he would be one of the two standard elevations, not a third elevation. The number of elevations for the emergency quarterback would be unlimited.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The rule was adopted.