Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Samuel WR to Bills

Thanks
    Thanked 9,194 Times in 5,921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Curtis Samuel WR to Bills

With this guys burst speed, if we don’t see any timing slant patterns… I’m gonna, I , I, I’m gonna hold my breath forever.

2. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-15-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,316 Times in 15,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    With this guys burst speed, if we don’t see any timing slant patterns… I’m gonna, I , I, I’m gonna hold my breath forever.
    Think about what the Bills try to do on offense though. (What Gabe used to run, then usually drop)

A lot of the deep stuff is over the middle.

Quick hitters right up the seam.

If you can put a fast guy in that role who actually can catch the ball.....

I like the signing.

And it didn't really break the bank.

4. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (03-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,583 Times in 17,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We've been saying 'our receiver room is stacked' every season for a few now, and then as the games play out it isn't. It's a trend with this regime. The OC's have been the ones taking the hits, but the results don't really change or improve.

And I still see Shakir's role as replacing Diggs eventually.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    They could be scheming up some four wide sets.

That could create some gnarly mismatches.
    Didn’t they just move to try to make the O more 2 TE sets last year?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    We've been saying 'our receiver room is stacked' every season for a few now, and then as the games play out it isn't. It's a trend with this regime. The OC's have been the ones taking the hits, but the results don't really change or improve.

Their WR signings have been very Shaky. Every year there seems to be a Crowder, Harty, Emmanuel Sanders that doesn’t do much.

The drafting has only really hit on Shakir, so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,467 Times in 14,176 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brady likes to use a lot of WR’s and different packages from his time at LSU. I wouldn’t worry too much on slot v outside or hurting Shakir at this point.

I also expect them to use Samuel in similar roles to how they used McKenzie. Short routes with the ball on the run, hand offs and end around.

It’s a good chunk of change and has some risk, but he should be able to give a decent return.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

9. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-15-2024),Lone Stranger (03-15-2024)

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,709 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Samuel is an upgrade over Harty and can be the primary slot. Shakir is penciled in at #2 and he's about to break out. He has that look WR's traditionally would get before they break out in their 3rd season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I would have rather had Floyd back for that kind of money. Or kept Morse.
    i think the bills are tired of the same , it hasn't worked so trying something different which isn't gonna work either

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Samuel career targets: 485
    Samuel career catches: 317

Career catch % : 65.4

Gabe targets: 299
    Gabe catches: 163

Career % : 54.5

Diggs career catch % for reference: 68.8

Take this for what it’s worth
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is, other than he probably has better hands than Gabe Davis.

The guy has been in the league 7 years.

Again, he had one year in which he had 850 yards, the rest.. never more than 650.
    He's never been the number 1 WR on his team.
    Even in his year in Carolina where he had over 800 yards, he was the 3rd leading WR on his team.

Im not expecting him, after 7 years in the league, to become this 1500 yard WR or even a 1000 yard WR.

I don't hate the signing, but my expectations are pretty tempered.

And I really don't like the thought of...we don't need to draft a wr, except in the late rounds...because we now have Curtis Samuel.

This a very good WR class, with a good chance to nab a big WR who is a bona fide deep threat.

Despite his speed, Samuel hasn't shown that ability in his NFL career.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the point is, other than he probably has better hands than Gabe Davis.

Again, he had one year in which he had 850 yards, the rest.. never more than 650.
    Even in his year in Carolina where he had over 800 yards, he was the 3rd leading WR on his team.

Im not expecting him, after 7 years in the league, to become this 1500 yard WR or even a 1000 yard WR.

And I really don't like the thought of...we don't need to draft a wr, except in the late rounds...because we now have Curtis Samuel.

This a very good WR class, with a good chance to nab a big WR who is a bona fide deep threat.

He's a slot WR.

Like I pointed out earlier in the thread, go look at Cole Beasley's career before signing with the Bills. Very Similar player, very similar career trajectories.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,713 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post

With his first four years in Carolina, with the fading fast Newton as QB the first two years, Kyle Allen his third...a season so bad that the HC got fired during it, fourth year Terry Bridgewater....all of those seasons saw Carolina with a mostly dysfunctional team and a uninspiring offense.

Then in Washington (after missing most of his first year to injury) had Tylor Heinicke in 2022 and Sam Howell passing to him in 2023. Not even capable starting QB's.

This is a sign that Joe Brady is going to put his stamp on this offense, and with Josh Allen, Diggs, Cook and Kincaid, it is like him getting into a Ferrari instead of a Studebaker.

We never know what will happen but I have more encouraged expectations than discouraged.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Since this guy is relatively young, I think it is likely, following Josh Allen's pattern of receivers, that he will have his best pro year in terms of stats if he gets regular playing time. So far, his best year is 2020 when Brady was his coordinator in Carolina, 97 targets, 77 receptions for 851 yards. He also rushed 41 times for another 200 yards - going back to his Ohio State days where he's used in rushing. We should be very happy if we get that output in 2024.

Will he get the playing time in Buffalo? His contract says so. Yes he's viewed best as a slot guy but I feel like unpredictability will be the main theme under Brady where anyone (RB, WR, TE) who can do anything. Not necessarily playbook change drastically.

Is Shakir better than him? I don't think so. Can Shakir better than him down the road, maybe but on the outside playing X or Z, he should be better than Shakir with his speed. There is a reason the guy is drafted at 2nd round (I'm sure Beane scouted him then in Carolina).

I'm pretty sure we are still going to draft a Z or X WR that may develop into a WR 1 - let's be honest we have none right now. With the signing, I'm guessing we may not be forced to look for a ready-to-step-in WR in the draft. Beane should have learned his lesson (Elam???) when you had to chase, you are likely to lose. Last year was a success story with Kincaid. Again, where you are drafting in the late 20s, what is the likelihood to come away with an immediate starter at almost any position, let alone a receiver to grasp the complex system we have?

16. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

By the way, one reason I know Buffalo hit on Allen as QB in 2019 is that both John Brown and Cole Beasley had career years playing with Allen. Beasley actually topped it 2020. Before coming into Buffalo, those guys had quality QBs like Carson Palmer, Tony Romo. And they immediately having career years with Allen says a lot of about the QB than themselves.

Same thing with Diggs - coming to Buffalo, right away, career year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    They can use more than one formation?

They can mix in 4 wides a few times a game along with the 12 personnel. Maybe Diggs and Samuel split wide with Shakir and Kincaid in the slots. Who you gonna cover?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    Yes, and along with your other post you make a lot of good points about things that indicate these guys are just taking stabs in the dark all the time.

OK in one breath "trust the process" ... and we have seen them take poorly formulated plans and drive them into the ground too...

but in the next breath they say they are going in a direction but don't fully develop it.

I mean, what impact does having a direction to build last season make such drastic shifts on the talent you need to be successful?

It is very unfocused.

And I would suggest if these guys would actually start valuing their **** being aligned on a regular basis they are going to see the success we want them to see.

Of course that would require them to be not so full of ****.

However, without that movement we are going to continually see the same success they are having.

Basically -- they are far too reactive and always controlled by the situation as opposed to taking control and commanding victory from the situation.

That is who Team McDermott is.

What I see with this move is maybe someone that adds something but also takes away someone else's ability to add whom you already planned in that role.

Our roster as a whole is not getting better like this. We see the holes every single season. As good as the roster has been they don't have room and/or the systemic ability to top it off and make a move upward.

This is a lot more than the culture being bogged down by some of the thinking problems they have too....this is a glaring place we end up underachieving.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see what people are saying about Samual and his QBs too ... but is the uptick guaranteed with him or just assumed because he's a Carolina Brady guy?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

With Samuel and Hollis it seems like they are trying to emphasize a speedier corps.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They are desperate to find the guys to garner the big plays the analytics are telling them they need.

This player is not just speed he's a lot of versatility and I bet we see him on the field on special teams.

There will at least be times in practice he's fielding some punts.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,194 Times in 5,921 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cancelled my Isabella jersey order.

Ive seen this before

crowder. Great slot hands… (wet fart noise)
    harty… crush the Dolphins souls so I’ll always remember that fondly. (the wet fart noise produced moisture)
    Last edited by sukie; 03-15-2024 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,477 Times in 7,094 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wonder if it's because our O has been centered around one person, Diggs. When Brady took over, Josh started throwing to other receiver and Diggs pretty much disappeared. IMO , this signing means we're spreading the ball and Brady brought in someone he knows will thrive in his system.

I think this is Diggs' last year.

25. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-17-2024),Novacane (03-16-2024)