Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Samuel WR to Bills

Thanks
    Thanked 7,602 Times in 6,156 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Curtis Samuel WR to Bills

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    With Samuel and Hollis it seems like they are trying to emphasize a speedier corps.
    A breath of fresh AIR!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    They can use more than one formation?

They can mix in 4 wides a few times a game along with the 12 personnel. Maybe Diggs and Samuel split wide with Shakir and Kincaid in the slots. Who you gonna cover?
    True… but the money they paid him makes me think he will be out There 75%+

Thanks
    Thanked 30,573 Times in 17,454 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

IIRC Mitch Morse had a $12mil cap hit for '24 and was a free agent in '25. Considering what he recently signed for I have a hard time believing the team couldn't have re-did his contract for similar terms...or less..than what they just ponied up for Samuel.

It took this regime seven long years to finally figure out the offensive line, and when they did they dork it up and cut their starting center/best offensive trench guy essentially trading out the roster spot and contract/cap numbers for yet another 'weapon' that nobody knows exactly what his role could or should be.

It's **** like this that just adds to my doubt that this crew really knows what it is doing or will ever win anything significant.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    True… but the money they paid him makes me think he will be out There 75%+
    He'll see plenty of snaps no question about it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

WR guru gushes over Buffalo Bills signing Curtis Samuel- ‘What an upgrade over Gabe Davis!’ - newyorkupstate.com

‘When asked for his immediate reaction, Harmon gushed, “Oh my God. I mean, I’m alive. I’m alive, bro. I’m alive. This is awesome. I’m completely thrilled. Oh my God. LFG baby. This is awesome. What an upgrade over Gabe Davis! You get Curtis Samuel out there? That is really interesting to me.”’

Thanks
    Thanked 11,707 Times in 7,764 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    IIRC Mitch Morse had a $12mil cap hit for '24 and was a free agent in '25. Considering what he recently signed for I have a hard time believing the team couldn't have re-did his contract for similar terms...or less..than what they just ponied up for Samuel.

It took this regime seven long years to finally figure out the offensive line, and when they did they dork it up and cut their starting center/best offensive trench guy essentially trading out the roster spot and contract/cap numbers for yet another 'weapon' that nobody knows exactly what his role could or should be.

It's **** like this that just adds to my doubt that this crew really knows what it is doing or will ever win anything significant.
    The move with Morse was smart as can be. Taking a cue form the Pats method (when they were really good) of moving on from aging, expensive vets (I with repeated concussion issues) one year early rather than one year too late.

I'm of the opposite view.

This is NOT "**** like this that just adds to my doubt that this crew really knows what it is doing or will ever win anything significant."....this is smart forward thinking that has me CONFIDENT that this crew knows EXACTLY what they are doing as needs to be done one they have one of the handful of elite superstar QB's in the NFL and the realities of the cap system that makes roster management with that rare elite QB so difficult.

7. Post thanked by:

ghz in pittsburgh (03-17-2024),THE END OF ALL DAYS (03-17-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,477 Times in 7,094 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's like Mckenzie+Beasely on roids.

https://youtu.be/av8QA7Rp3bc?feature=shared

9. Post thanked by:

John Doe (03-18-2024),Mad Bomber (03-23-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,352 Times in 2,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

well we needed size and speed and he brings speed. I like him but it doesn't take 1st round WR off the table. IT DOES make it less mandatory. If there is a run on WRs and we don't like the value on the board when our pick comes up they can confidently take BPA, then try again in round 2 for WR.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

11. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (03-18-2024),John Doe (03-18-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The move with Morse was smart as can be. Taking a cue form the Pats method (when they were really good) of moving on from aging, expensive vets (I with repeated concussion issues) one year early rather than one year too late.

I'm of the opposite view.

This is NOT "**** like this that just adds to my doubt that this crew really knows what it is doing or will ever win anything significant."....this is smart forward thinking that has me CONFIDENT that this crew knows EXACTLY what they are doing as needs to be done one they have one of the handful of elite superstar QB's in the NFL and the realities of the cap system that makes roster management with that rare elite QB so difficult.
    It was time for Morse to make a decision on his career apart from the Bills.

We took the correct direction imo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    He's like Mckenzie+Beasely on roids.

https://youtu.be/av8QA7Rp3bc?feature=shared
    I'm looking forward to this guy playing his style ball for us.

Surprised to see the backfield play ..... he reads blocks extremely well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    well we needed size and speed and he brings speed. I like him but it doesn't take 1st round WR off the table. IT DOES make it less mandatory. If there is a run on WRs and we don't like the value on the board when our pick comes up they can confidently take BPA, then try again in round 2 for WR.
    We will take a WR when it makes the most sense on our board ..... do we move up .... it's possible depending on the falling or not falling of players we covet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think he's Deebo Samuel light, and has not been used in Deebo Samuel's way. I don't watch college football that much but even I remembered him on that championship Ohio State team where he was a hybrid between running back and WR. Looking back in the draft, he followed the same path as Deebo people deciding what position he should be. They both fell into the 2nd round. And look their careers, when they both being used as WR AND RB, they produced better numbers. Of course Deebo is 20lb bigger and more dynamic but Curtis runs in 4.3s instead 4.4s.

This looked to be a guy Brady pounded the table for, not someone Beane would be looking for in their prototype receiver exercise. So seems like McDermott is letting Brady run the offense. The good thing is that there is an example in how 49ers using Deebo, and Brady himself got out of Curtis in Carolina (though I don't know if it was by design though because McCaffrey was hurt that year). If Brady is able to figure out to maximize Curtis' capability, getting output somewhere close to Deebo's, it'll be a big hit --- more likely than the output of any WR(s) we draft in April. It is also something that can propel Brady to be on the short list of HC candidates next year.

16. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-18-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

This looked to be a guy Brady pounded the table for, not someone Beane would be looking for in their prototype receiver exercise. So seems like McDermott is letting Brady run the offense. The good thing is that there is an example in how 49ers using Deebo, and Brady himself got out of Curtis in Carolina (though I don't know if it was by design though because McCaffrey was hurt that year). If Brady is able to figure out to maximize Curtis' capability, getting output somewhere close to Deebo's, it'll be a big hit --- more likely than the output of any WR(s) we draft in April. It is also something that can propel Brady to be on the short list of HC candidates next year.

100%

Hopefully Brady has this one right!!

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Here's Samuel's contract breakdown:

2024: 3.98 cap hit

2025: 9.7 cap hit

2026: 10.3 cap hit---they can cut him after 2025 and save about 8 million

19. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-19-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Curtis Samuel contract details- Buffalo Bills retain year-to-year flexibility in WR’s deal - Buffalo Rumblings

Samuel received $6.9 million in a signing bonus as part of $15 million fully guaranteed in the deal. His 2024 compensation and $5 million of his 2025 salary is fully guaranteed.

The rest of the 2025 salary guarantees on February 10, 2025, so right after the Super Bowl on February 9.

His base salary in 2024 is the league minimum because of the signing bonus, and it moves up to $6.9 million in 2025 and $6.51 million in 2026 with a $1 million roster bonus, so the cash is very evenly split.

With only $5 million of his 2025 salary guaranteed, the Bills can get out of the contract next February if they want. They release him and they would still owe him the $5 million but it would be offset by whoever signed him in free agency.

So let’s call it what it is; A one-year deal worth about $12.6 million or a two-year deal worth $16 million. The third year doesn’t get any guaranteed cash until the start of the 2026 league year and it’s a one-year team option for $8 million.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I really like this signing. I believe he's the fastest WR the Bills have ever had (4.31) and provides the much-needed speed they've lacked since John Brown (who Samuel is a shade taller and faster than, and 17# heavier). Josh will be the best QB he's played with by far.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    They could be scheming up some four wide sets.

That could create some gnarly mismatches.
    That's where my money is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Under Brady he played almost as much in the slot as outside. He'll be moved around for sure. Now they need to get a stud across from Diggs. Hopefully Hollins isn't it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For the crowd on getting a stud X receiver in the draft, easier said than done. Whaley swung big on Sammy Watkins in a receiver rich draft. We know what happened, and don't blame on QBs who threw to him. After Buffalo, Watkins had several quality QBs throwing balls to him, including Mahomes, and never mounted to anywhere close to a stud.

People are talking Marvin Harrison Jr. like a surefire HoF before he catches a single pass in NFL. You just don't know. Out of the potential 7 WRs we expect to go in the 1st round, I can bet we are not getting 7 HoFers.

So instead of relying on finding a Randy Moss guy who can beat you every time if you single (sometimes double) cover him, offensive genius like Shanahan is making things un-predictable, tricky as you might say, to achieve the same result. You need a QB though and we have one. I see that the Bills are moving in that direction. Yes you should try to get a Randy Moss, but I'm not counting on it, even we spend a first round pick or even trade up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    For the crowd on getting a stud X receiver in the draft, easier said than done. Whaley swung big on Sammy Watkins in a receiver rich draft. We know what happened, and don't blame on QBs who threw to him. After Buffalo, Watkins had several quality QBs throwing balls to him, including Mahomes, and never mounted to anywhere close to a stud.

People are talking Marvin Harrison Jr. like a surefire HoF before he catches a single pass in NFL. You just don't know. Out of the potential 7 WRs we expect to go in the 1st round, I can bet we are not getting 7 HoFers.

So instead of relying on finding a Randy Moss guy who can beat you every time if you single (sometimes double) cover him, offensive genius like Shanahan is making things un-predictable, tricky as you might say, to achieve the same result. You need a QB though and we have one. I see that the Bills are moving in that direction. Yes you should try to get a Randy Moss, but I'm not counting on it, even we spend a first round pick or even trade up.
    True a stud X receiver isn't guaranteed, but they still need to try. And Davis and Shakir have been decent, while Shorter is a wait-and-see.