Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NFL

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NF

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Allen has elite skills and maybe even intangibles, but his mental grasp of the game is borderline average, being generous. Plus he has anxiety issues he needs to overcome.

Burrows isn't anywhere in Josh's league physically, but he is slightly better in intangibles and a light year above mentally. That's why he's beaten a better team on the road, won a conference championship and competed for a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't trade Josh for any other QB in the league, bar none, but if I had to bet money I would take Burrows getting to another SB before Josh does.
    Would you trade the supporting cast (players and coaches) around Josh for Burrow's?

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,314 Times in 15,460 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NF

Plus he has anxiety issues he needs to overcome.
    C'mon man.

You don't really believe that, do you?

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    C'mon man.

You don't really believe that, do you?
    I know there wasn't message boards back then, but did fans crap on Jim Kelly like they do Josh Allen?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Allen has elite skills and maybe even intangibles, but his mental grasp of the game is borderline average, being generous. Plus he has anxiety issues he needs to overcome.

Burrows isn't anywhere in Josh's league physically, but he is slightly better in intangibles and a light year above mentally. That's why he's beaten a better team on the road, won a conference championship and competed for a Super Bowl.

I wouldn't trade Josh for any other QB in the league, bar none, but if I had to bet money I would take Burrows getting to another SB before Josh does.
    I disagree with the "anxiety issues". Ex-Bills scout Smoke Dixon says the opposite....with his "cinder block" observation.

Although he did give some credence to the "mental grasp of the game is borderline average", but that was more from of observing that he did not put the work early in his career studying the game and not (at that time) being a film room rat. He admitted he does not know about his habits lately.

As I have been an persistent critic of the way Josh failed in the mental part of the game in the last 2 min of the KC loss, the title to the thread I started about that is spot on...."Requiem for the Bills - When will Josh Learn??"

Like you "I wouldn't trade Josh for any other QB in the league, bar none" but I would NOT "bet money" that "Burrows getting to another SB before Josh does.". Of course, I never bet money on football...so there's that.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Josh was also thrown to the wolves on one of the worst offenses I've ever seen the Bills field. He was the 3rd QB taken and I'd say that the Bills landing him was "partial luck" because even though they made a concerted effort to move up to take him, they still had to sweat-out picks 1-6 since he was being talked about as the 1st overall pick and there were 4 teams in need of QBs.

Getting a franchise QB period is luck, even if you have the first overall, much less hitting on QBs at the end of first round like Green Bay did. Just look at last year. I mean, did anyone see CJ Stroud being a stud? He came from one of the worst major college programs for NFL QB success and he bombed the S2, considered the best test for QB success in the NFL. Would you say he had "heart" before he was drafted? Would you say Rodgers did? How do you measure it?

Now if the same regime in Green Bay had drafted all 3 QBs, I'd say it was less less luck and more a blueprint. But they didn't have a single person remaining (meaning front office/GM, coaches or scouts) from the time when Favre was traded for or when Rodgers was drafted because over a dozen years had passed in both instances. And again Rodgers and Love were drafted at spots 24 and 26 overall respectively, allowing for almost any team to take them before Green Bay did, with several teams looking for QBs those years.

Having a QB sit for a few years isn't a guarantee of anything and in this day and age, it's not feasible. Back some 20 years ago when you could take years to develop a QB it made more sense, but again, it rarely happened that a franchise QB was succeeded by another one, much less another one after that.

So it's "institutional success"? All that's needed is the Green Bay name and voila, they automatically draft franchise QBs from now on? LOL!
    There is no doubt that there is SOME "luck" in getting a franchise QB. Although it's a lot less than you seem to attribute to it, and it's a LOT less than what one of the experts and first hand observer of being a NFL QB bust, Ryan Leaf has to say.

Ironically enough, according to Leaf, simply being drafted high in the first round in today's NFL put that player at a HUGE disadvantage as the pressure is UNBELIEVABLY and DESTRUCTIVELY counter to what you want to develop a franchise QB.

Your observations of the kind of offense that Josh came into the Bills is mostly less of a factor (not to say that is not a factor) in assessing a QB's quality, at least according to NFL head coaches, NFL GM's, NFL scouts, NFL coordinators and NFL QB coaches that I have detailed with their QB Tiers evaluation.

As for my accurate observation of Green Bay's "institutional success", your lame dismissal of it as " All that's needed is the Green Bay name and voila, they automatically draft franchise QBs from now on? LOL!" shows extreme narrow mindedness and failing to see plain reality.

"Institutional success" is simply an accurate observation that the organization has developed and embraced a method of deciding WHEN and HOW to bring about continuing QB success. How the past decisions were made are PART of the ORGANIZATION which IS, in fact "institutional success"

The TOTAL OPPOSITE is what the Bills had to fall on. It was more "Institutional FAILURE". They literally had nothing to fall back on as how to succeed in transitioning the position (as players age and move on) so they mostly followed the path of failure.

I believe a very reasonable explanation for the success of Green Bay and the mostly failure of the Bills when it comes to QB's is the fact that Green Bay DOES NOT HAVE an individual owner as they have been a "publicly owned, nonprofit corporation since 1923"

NFL owners inevitability get involved with some of the most critical decisions, for better or worse (usually for worse). Almost all of them lack the necessary knowledge and experience to make decisions about football based on knowledge of experience with, you know...FOOTBALL!!!!

Today's NFL owners made their fortunes usually in business of some sort, co-foundling Home Depot, hedge fund managers, natural gas and fracking, CEO of Flying J truck stops, Texas oilman, Ford Motor Company heir, "cogeneration power plant company" owner (selling to to Enron to become rich), heating and air conditioning, car bumpers manufacturing, catering & real estate, real estate and tax shelters shyster, packaging materials, car dealerships, heir to the Johnson & Johnson company, movie theater chain, building shopping malls, co-founding Microsoft, Wal-Mart heir, marketing and advertising and of course, inheriting wealth (and the team) from a rich parent

Owners make decisions based on their experience and expertise. It's not usually football. The smart ones (sometimes) hire good football people and give them the freedom to make decisions based on what is best for the team with football expertise in mind. Mr Pegula has (after stumbling a bit the first few years) has mostly followed this method to extremely good success.

So, YES. Green Bay has YEARS and YEARS of "institutional" knowledge, experience and expertise grounded in FOOTBALL. NFL owners have "institutional" knowledge, experience and expertise on how to make money with various business as detailed above.

Owners are impatient and make sometimes rash decisions not based on what is the smartest move for football success.

So, YES. Green Bay DOES HAVE "institutional success" grounded and passed on by years of putting football minds in control and not owners that have made money in other ventures.